PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to get parts for a Great Dane?

QLM
09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Found what I think is a good deal on a super surfer 2 52 " .Want to know what getting parts is like? What would be the Dane only parts that would be hard to track down? It is low hour machine and would like to get three or four seasons out if it just need to know what parts I need to get now before they are not around?
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I'd pass and move on to another company that's still in business.

dutch1
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM
When did Great Dane go out of business? It's true that they have changed ownership several times. Great Dane was started by Dane Scag, the originator of the Scag line. He sold to John Deere and the line was manufactured in southern Indiana for a short time, just a couple of years. Deere sold the line to Auburn Manufacturing, the manufacturer of Everride, in the early 2000's. Around 2006 or 07 Everride sold the line to Ariens, the manufacturer of Gravely.

Unless there are some recent developments that I'm unaware of, I'd assume they are still in business. I recently took a look at their webpage and didn't notice anything that would indicate that they have left the scene.

gcbailey
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
When did Great Dane go out of business? It's true that they have changed ownership several times. Great Dane was started by Dane Scag, the originator of the Scag line. He sold to John Deere and the line was manufactured in southern Indiana for a short time, just a couple of years. Deere sold the line to Auburn Manufacturing, the manufacturer of Everride, in the early 2000's. Around 2006 or 07 Everride sold the line to Ariens, the manufacturer of Gravely.

Unless there are some recent developments that I'm unaware of, I'd assume they are still in business. I recently took a look at their webpage and didn't notice anything that would indicate that they have left the scene.

did you notice the copyrights on their site? I think 2009 was the newest I saw on anything.

dutch1
09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I couldn't say for sure, Bailey, as I've not had a need for Dane parts since 2009.
They indeed may be out of business but if they are, I'm not aware of it. I can say that I saw a Great Dane Surfer that had Gravely colors and decals in 09.

Most likely a call to Great Dane or one of their distributors/dealers would provide info on their status.

Mowingman
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Gravely canned the Great Dane name and lineup a couple of years ago. Some of the Great Dane machines are still produced as similar-looking Gravely-branded machines. However, a lot of the parts will be different by now.
I also believe Gravely announced they were ending parts support for the older GD machines.

dutch1
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Mowingman, that's info I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the heads upl. As I indicated, 2009 was the last contact I had with a Dane dealer although I still see a little of the yellow stuff still being used.

Procareope
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
This will likely vary by region and distributors serving your region, but almost all GD parts are available directly or cross reference to Everride/Gravely parts. Most Gravely or leftover Everride dealers will be able to get you parts. This may change in the future, but for now, GD parts aren't much of a problem.

QLM
10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks. That does help some. The price on this mower is good but not good enough finding parts three years from now will be a pain in the ass then it will have no resale value what so ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

skimow
10-01-2012, 11:19 PM
You can find a ton of stuff online for the old great dane mowers. As long as there is a market someone will make parts. I've tried all sorts of new mowers lately and I swear no manufacturer has made a great mower for about 10 years. I will run my old danes until they fall apart. I would love to sell my 48 scag hydro for an older scag ulitmate that they don't make anymore. Most of the stuff out today is a bunch of over engineered crap with a new gimmick.

M & L
10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I just had a clutch sieze up on my 52 ss. part was in the next morning.

so no delay or problem.

Im looking for a 34 stander as we read/type.

never had any problems other than the clutch and i have 3 of them.

the 34 will be 4