PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Old Trucks

tnmtn
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I have 2 old trucks that I use in business that have both been great buys. Especially as the years ad on.
The first one is a '94 Ford F-350. It has the idi 7.3 diesel with a 5 speed. I have worked this poor truck much harder than I should have and it keeps delivering the goods. Purchase price was below $5000 and yearly maintenance is around $500. It will never win a race but continues to make me money.
The second old truck I bought is a '79 Chevy C65 gasser. I was able to pay cash and love not having the monthly notes for it. It easily hauls 5 tons with the help of good gearing. Yearly repairs seem to average $500. I can park it for a couple months hop in and go. It has been a great truck.
The reason I am bringing this up is it seems many are concerned with the newest latest truck and crazy horsepower. I wanted to point out that plenty of money can be made with older trucks in good shape. Maybe the older trucks should be at least considered when expanding a business. I'm sure some others have similar stories and would like to hear them. Maybe pictures wouldn't hurt either.
Take care,

4 seasons lawn&land
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
good post, its true!

Mowingman
09-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Older trucks are the way to go. Generally easier to maintain, and no monthly payments. A lot less electronics and computer stuff that will, at some point, fail.
I am using a 1993, Chevy Kodiak, to haul in the wood for my firewood business. It is easy to work on, and paid for.
Also have an 12 year old Dodge 3500 diesel, for firewood deliveries. Again, easy to work on, and paid for. No more $35,000 - $50,000 trucks for me, when the old iron will get the job done.

Darryl G
09-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I loved my 1985 Chevy K-20...tough, reliable, easy to work on and parts were cheap and plentiful. Unfortunately road salt was the death of it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=296276&highlight=1985+chevy

poolboy
09-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Yet there's a dude on the picture forum bragging about his $72,000 Dodge 1 ton. Something tells me it's full of bs, however.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
09-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I see guys all around here pulling trailers full of mowing equipment with high dollar, decked out, 4x4 pickups. What a waste of money. Those 4x4 trucks will probably never be used in 4x4 mode, except for some playtime in the mud. All those fancy bells and whistles do nothing to make the truck do a better job, and those guys are paying $50,000 plus for them.
I just don't get it. Some kind of ego trip or macho thing I guess.

jbell36
09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
I see guys all around here pulling trailers full of mowing equipment with high dollar, decked out, 4x4 pickups. What a waste of money. Those 4x4 trucks will probably never be used in 4x4 mode, except for some playtime in the mud. All those fancy bells and whistles do nothing to make the truck do a better job, and those guys are paying $50,000 plus for them.

i disagree...at some point, those "great ol' trucks" are going to wear out...also, image means a lot to me, so i'm not going to be rolling around town in a 1989 rusted out truck...and 4x4 is necessary for snow removal, and i hate to say it, but getting stuck behind the shop dumping debris ha...

you also have to consider the tax benefits of buying a brand new truck, it's not just an ego trip for some guys...

yes, most of the new higher horsepower and torque is prob not necessary for most of what we do, but there are times when it's nice to have...

i agree that the newer they get the more **** they have on them therefore the more expensive they are to repair and more to go wrong...

i have an '08 super duty "decked out." i absolutely love my truck and i feel great about driving it every single day

Mowingman
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
When I mentioned 4x4, I was refering to this area. We rarely ever get snow here, so, no need for a snow plowing rig.

jbell36
09-27-2012, 11:37 PM
yeah i figured snow wasn't a primary concern...and texas is also king of everyone owning a badass truck..."you're a lawyer? then you definitely need a king ranch!...what were you thinking with that BMW."

i guess if u practiced liposuction you could get away with it..."i need a truck that can handle what i do, i pull a lot of weight."

JB1
09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
i guess its to each his own, but i'm not into buying old used trucks.

tnmtn
09-28-2012, 12:31 AM
my intention when starting this wasn't to start a debate about which is better. I know about the tax benefits as well as many more reasons to buy new that are justified. The point I was hoping to make was that if your a lawn guy maybe starting to get into heavier landscaping this may be another option that would work long enough to test the water of a new venture and perhaps even longer. I thought there would be others that have done well by using older trucks and could share those experiances. There are plenty of threads about the latest greatest truck and few about the older ones that may be helping to start a business or expand it to a point where a newer truck is a better option. Some of the older trucks definitly have issues, but at the same time there are a few brands that have proven reliable and inexpensive too maintain. If I was putting 40,000 miles a year on a dump then definitly I would look for a newer truck. Also, my trucks look good for an older vehicle definitly presentable. I have had more than one GC comment positively on the truck. You do bring up a good point on presentation and an old rust bucket isn't what I was thinking of when starting the thread.

Darryl G
09-28-2012, 01:48 AM
A lot of work trucks don't really get that many miles put on them, if all they're used for is local work. My 1985 that I sold 2 years ago had 87k on it. My 2003 that I bought new just hit 50K, but it's got over 3,000 hours on it. Change the fluids and don't beat on them and the drivetrain will usually outlast the body.

tnmtn
09-28-2012, 02:39 AM
a couple pics, I think they are presentable.

tnmtn
09-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Picked up this old Mazda B2600 for bidding and the quick hot shot runs. It has paid for itself with fuel savings over driving the 1 ton all the time. Even used it to tow a micro excavator once.

RSK Property Maintenance
09-28-2012, 07:38 AM
I definetly agree older trucks or whatever you can pay for cash is the way to go, i picked up my 96 f350 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto with a fisher mm 8' hd plow for 4000, when i bought it the plow wouldn't respond but a 138 dollar headlight harness from fisher fixed that issue and i've worked this truck harder then most new trucks get worked and it never fails me, as a matter of fact there have been many days where the truck has made me over 4000 in a single day, and countless weeks where it has made me over 6000 a week, and it has almost no rust or rot, its been a plow and sanding truck its whole life and 268,000 miles now, its cheap to rebuild the whole truck, fender do rot out on these trucks and mine are starting to, but 100 each for brand new ones ill just replace them and have them sprayed for a few hundred. New trucks are nicer and more comfortable, but i'd rather not be a servant to the bank, just to have a newer truck and pay more for insurance, my old truck is could use more power but i can still tow 10-12,000 lbs and do on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Plus if i get a scratch or dent from loading something in it i dont care vs. a truck that is 4yrs old i would care and probably spend the money getting it repaired, while i have no major dents or scratches except for my tailgate from loading thousands of lbs of wood into it, i can replace my bowed out tailgate for 150 dollars and thats finding a white one too to match my truck, my bed rails have dents in them but nothing major, its a work and it doea that, it makes me money day in and day out, doesn't quit ever!
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
09-28-2012, 08:04 AM
definitely something to be said for older trucks, if anything it's the peace of mind that you don't have to worry about messing them up, dent's dont matter nearly as much, scratches who cares? i drive an '11 silverado and you can damn near dent the thing leaning against it, my buddies old 75 chevy i doubt you could dent it with a sledgehammer. they just don't build things as tough as they used to when it comes to trucks...

White Gardens
09-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Agreed with the whole scratch and dent deal. My trucks get worked, and they don't stay pristine.

First work truck was an 87 F-350 C and C. Came with a plow. It amazed me how much money it made me in relation to how much I paid for it. It met it's end though when the 6.9 diesel spun a bearing and that was all she wrote.

Replacement truck is an 01 C3500HD C and C. Came not only with a 9 foot plow, but an under tailgate salt spreader and central hydraulics. Spent 8K for the total package. Still hasn't turned past 40k on the odometer. Not as cheap as an "old" truck, but sure beats spending 70k+ for a new similar setup.

My general ride is an 05 F-150. Though not considered old, I got it for 5k under book value and 140k on the odometer. Should get me by for about 5 years or better. Again it's one of those deals where I needed a better truck but wasn't going to drop 30k on a new truck just to beat the snot out of it.

JimQ
09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
You "old truck guys" ought to be telling these "new truck guys" how great it is that they're buying new. You should be thanking them as a matter of fact. Then, just sit back, wait a few years, and get yourself a nice used truck for a fraction of the price....payup

Q

jmacd
09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I like to buy a new truck for myself every 10 years or so but most everything I have owned has been used and older. It all depends on what your needs are.

I wouldn't advise spending any money you dont have to at any time. The tax issue is a non issue when it comes to new or used, its how much you spend not what you spend it on.

Here are some trucks I own now or at least in the past 5 years:

2006 bought new

mlavin73
09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm starting to think you guys are right. Even my mechanic told me to go with older vehicles. When I started my business in 2006 I went out and bought a brand new Ford F250. The reason behind this purchase was I don't have a back up truck and I want something I know is going to work for me. So far this brand new reliable truck has had the following repairs:

*2 new exhaust manifolds
*new AC system because something blew up in the compressor
*brakes and rotors all the way around (thought my rotors should have lasted longer than 36K miles)
*New transmission lines because the old rotted out
*New Transmission dipstick tube because the old rusted out

My truck has 49K miles on it now so I don't do a lot of driving. I do all the regular maintenance in hopes of making it last. The salt in the Northeast here is wreaking havoc on the whole undercarriage. I need to find some down time to wire wheel the frame and POR 15 it. I have been keeping my eyes open for something a little older that I can fix up and add as a back up. I wish Toyota or Nissan had a truck that could handle the weight I need. Not sure how they would do pulling a trailer, with a dump insert in the bed with a load of grass. All my former Toyota's and Nissans lasted forever (however I never worked them).

jmacd
09-28-2012, 12:57 PM
When you buy used or older you know that you have to do repairs when you buy it.
Sometimes the truck is just to far gone and you sell it. The key is to purchase them cheap enough so the repairs don't cost more that the truck is worth. The 1992 and 1997 we used for two years each for a salt truck and then sold for 1/2 of what we bought them for. The salt applications were 10 times worth the truck value. Just be smart about, its is about what you keep not what you spend.

bearmtnmartin
09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I for some reason would never buy a used machine. I get them new and trade them in at 4 or 5 years old. But work trucks I always buy used.

This is my 1994 Hino which I traded for some CAD drafting work. It came with a reefer unit that I sold for $700.00. That paid for the signage and the chrome wheel covers. I think it looks pretty sharp and being a Toyota it has been really reliable and has not cost me much. But it was totalled in an accident a couple weeks ago, so I had to move on.

I bought this to replace it. Its even older (1986) but the owner is a Pepsi service facility and they have the maintenance records going back 20 years. Its pretty solid.

Its going under the knife in the next couple weeks and I will post a couple pics when I am done.

jbell36
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
You "old truck guys" ought to be telling these "new truck guys" how great it is that they're buying new. You should be thanking them as a matter of fact. Then, just sit back, wait a few years, and get yourself a nice used truck for a fraction of the price....payup

Q

i do agree...buying brand new for no real reason is not something i would usually do...if a tax benefit justified it then sure...i bought my '08 for $35,000 in 2010...the guy bought it in late 2007 for $53,000...it depreciated that much in 2-2.5 years...i think a truck right around 3 years old is perfect, most of the depreciation is gone by that point, then it's a slow steady decline from there...even this truck was a little too new really but it had everything i wanted, was in perfect condition, and i've only had one issue with it...it starts every day and never gives me problems, which i can't say for my last truck, it was a '99 ram and had a problem every day...

we have a '97 heady duty f-250 that i love, prob my favorite work truck so that really is what you are talking about here...no rust, very reliable, has a dump, very maneuverable....we also have a '98 that we got fixed up, new cab bc of rust and now it looks clean, very presentable...i wouldn't buy any older than those tho

i didn't mean to come off defensive, i agree with you...but i simply hate the companies that have terrible looking vehicles and compete against me, bc obviously they lowball me...and i know these aren't the vehicles u were talking about when u started this thread...i would buy that dump you have all day if i had a need for it, very clean looking

RSK Property Maintenance
09-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Alot lawn guys that are low ballers around me drive old rusted out trucks, and i absolutely hate that look if i'm buying older and i try to stay with 95 or newer they need to be clean or have little rust, absolutely no rot holes though. I like clean old body style fords 93-97
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I looked at a 78' chevy reg cab dually with flatbed the other day. Thing was in immaculate condition. I would have bought it if it would have been 4x4.
Posted via Mobile Device

bearmtnmartin
09-28-2012, 02:32 PM
a couple pics, I think they are presentable.

Do you still have the spyder, or did that get moved on?

Kelly's Landscaping
09-28-2012, 03:54 PM
There's room for both new and old in our fleet and while we do love our new cutting dump trucks and the 0 down time with them. I still keep and 89 gmc 3500 dump shes ugly I don't enjoy driving her I let the employees drive her where ever possible. I keep her very local I don't even like leaving the town with her but for brush and sticks and jobs where your going to get scratched and dinged its the perfect truck. I have my eye on some more land next to my home which will put me over 10 acres when I get it and even though I do intend to keep adding new trucks to the fleet I love the idea of keeping the old gmc as a dedicated dump truck to bring to the recycling place. Have the new trucks dump their grass loads each day at my place then use a loader and fill up the old truck. It will save taking 4-10 trips plus when it gets dirty I don't care and the yards are always either extreme dust or mud.

tnmtn
09-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Jmacd, I like that older Mack, The newer looks nice also. something about that extra bit of chrome on the bumper.

jmacd
09-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks! I like it also. I haven't used it very much this year, haven't had a need to run two at the same time.

I can go out and fire it up anytime and she will run like she did when I parked her.

norsky
09-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Q

Your darn right.....Thanks guys

LarryF
10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

:clapping: I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.

jbell36
10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
:clapping: I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.

wouldn't u want 4x4 in Jersey?

stuvecorp
10-04-2012, 02:06 AM
I don't know it depends. It sure seems like there are no free lunches with trucks, equipment seems to be way better. My first 450 I bought used was a huge mistake. If I would have bought a new one instead, I would still be using it. I added up one time and I spent more keeping that old horse running than what a new truck cost.

One part is how 'important' is that one truck to your business? Does everything depend on it? The other thing - I sure like crawling in a truck that is nice to drive, air, automatic...:)

Lawn Pawn
10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Have not read all the posts..... so someone may have said this.

Here in zone three Wisconsin.... there just ain't no old trucks that are not rust buckets!

Yes... some guys go down south and get some nice iron but it's rusted crap in a few years if run in the winters here.

Wish it was not the case.

jbell36
10-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Have not read all the posts..... so someone may have said this.

Here in zone three Wisconsin.... there just ain't no old trucks that are not rust buckets!

Yes... some guys go down south and get some nice iron but it's rusted crap in a few years if run in the winters here.

Wish it was not the case.

ha, u dont' say...i bought my first truck from wisconsin, wasn't smart enough at the time to think about the moisture and salt...truck fell apart

PlantscapeSolutions
10-07-2012, 02:50 AM
I'm starting to think you guys are right. Even my mechanic told me to go with older vehicles. When I started my business in 2006 I went out and bought a brand new Ford F250. The reason behind this purchase was I don't have a back up truck and I want something I know is going to work for me. So far this brand new reliable truck has had the following repairs:

*2 new exhaust manifolds
*new AC system because something blew up in the compressor
*brakes and rotors all the way around (thought my rotors should have lasted longer than 36K miles)
*New transmission lines because the old rotted out
*New Transmission dipstick tube because the old rusted out

My truck has 49K miles on it now so I don't do a lot of driving. I do all the regular maintenance in hopes of making it last. The salt in the Northeast here is wreaking havoc on the whole undercarriage. I need to find some down time to wire wheel the frame and POR 15 it. I have been keeping my eyes open for something a little older that I can fix up and add as a back up. I wish Toyota or Nissan had a truck that could handle the weight I need. Not sure how they would do pulling a trailer, with a dump insert in the bed with a load of grass. All my former Toyota's and Nissans lasted forever (however I never worked them).

I'm guessing this must be a gasser or you would have a much longer list of 6.0 issues to deal with.

mlavin73
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm guessing this must be a gasser or you would have a much longer list of 6.0 issues to deal with.

You are correct. I have the 5.4 gas motor.

tnmtn
11-23-2012, 09:40 AM
a little update, used the old C65 on a job last week. Loaded with 5 tons of gravel I was able to make a few trips up a pretty steep mountain to finish out a driveway. I was able to stay in the high range gears for most of the trip but did go to lower range for going up the mountain. stayed in 3rd low up to the driveway. at this point i had no choice but to back up the driveway which was the steepest part. the old gasser had no problem in low reverse getting the materials where they needed to be dropped. this old truck impresses me more each time it gets put to work.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
It may be a waste of money to you but that's your opinion...For someone that goes mud riding it's pretty much needed.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
11-23-2012, 07:35 PM

I meant to quote u

Echelon
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
still rockin my old gmc w5000 (isuzu nrr). i love my old truck. it does the job and fires right up every spring after sitting all winter. ive yet to put new batteries in it and ive been using it 6 years now. they were old when i got it. it doesnt seem to matter how old a truck is as long as it looks presentable and doesnt leave oil everywhere it goes. ive gotten a surprising number of compliments for such an old, ugly truck. its a good one.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/stussels/work%20junk/68dd2e3a.jpg

mowcrazy
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I agree for the most part, but every once in a while a person gets an absolute LEMON like I did. Ive always been a chevy guy but all you ford guys just kept on and on about these 7.3 diesel trucks so I found a 1 owner OBS ford turbo powerstroke and I could have bought 2 newer reliable Chevy trucks with the repair bills on this hunk of chit. I bought it with 127K miles............ The original owner had receipts for every repair, maint, etc since the day he bought it. He was in his 50's when I bought it.

Anyways, got it in indiana and on the way home crazy loud noise. Starter bolts backed out and the teeth on the starter were chattering on the flywheel.

had to buy new starter because ate teeth off starter.

truck ran fine for about 3K miles then starts missing. 2 new injectors

right after that repair tranny starts shifting screwy, slamming into 1st gear while driving through town, cant believe it didnt blow it up it reved it so high. Come to find out it was the little sensor on top of the pumpkin on rear end.

As you all know these OBS trucks have little to no power. My 6.0 chevy gassers would outpull this thing absolutely no problems on hills. Got it chipped and got guages because they were "necessary" per all the diesel guys. This wasnt cheap either!!

few weeks later shift linkage breaks, leaves me at home depot had it towed. had all the linkage and shifter tube done. None of this was cheap either

This truck had a tranny put in at 97K miles and went out on me pulling my 16ft enclosed. another 2K dollars.

Electrical problems out the ass with this thing to. All the time.......

Trucks shuttering again, had my mechanic hook it up to diagnose, and its another dam injector!!! Were trying a bottle of hotshot before replacing it but its prolly gonna be another 5-600 bucks.....

Im not gonna go on the I hate ford rant but I will say I have bought 6 gasser chevys and they all make make make money. This ford has taken taken taken. No more fords for this guy.

I bought this truck with 127k, it now has 138k and ive sank over 8K in garbage to keep this truck on the road. Thats not including the plow and salter on the truck. I paid 6,500 for the thing.

So add that all up....... Ive got right at 20K in a used 1997 ford that I cant trust to make it to mcdonalds without leaving me somewhere. Ill be buying used but man am i scared of fords now.

It just goes to show, sometimes you just never know when you can get that lemon no matter what the make..........

Here is a picture of the lemon. To bad I cant keep it on the road because I like driving it. Just scared it will leave me stranded....... I could have had one hell of a truck for 20K!!!! LOL

PlantscapeSolutions
01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I had a 97' 7.3 I bought with about the exact millage. The trans went first and then at 174K the thrust bearing started to go and the crank started to walk back and forth in the block. I put a long block reman back in the truck which cost a lot and then sold it because the mechanic goofed up so many things I didn't trust the truck any more. All Cummins powered trucks now.

I ran my 02' 5.9 to 180K and it it was good for an easy 100K more when I sold it. Even with the extra stress of making over 1000 foot pounds of torque the truck had great longevity.

PineyPower
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
My everyday work truck is my dad's old '84 F150. She just turned over 300k, second motor, a 302, and second trans, 4 speed stick, but she still starts up, most days, and works all day long. I've found that when your first starting out, an old truck and be your best friend or worst enemy. When you have a truck like mine, were everything is old but replaced when it need to be, its sometimes better since you know exactly what you have. The only reason I'm looking into a newer truck is I can have the ability of a 1 ton. I love stile of the old fords but to quote my dad, "They don't make them like they used to, thank god.

bearmtnmartin
02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Put up a picture of an old beverage truck a while ago that I was looking at.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=257562&d=1348850842

Here is the new and improved version.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/bearmtnmartin/ldquothefridgerdquo2.jpg

We carry all of our pipe, tools and attachments, plus the SK650 in it, and do not need to pull a trailer anymore. I still have to organize most of the bays, but its a pretty good start. A porta potty will fit neatly inside a bay, so I plan to buy a used one and not have to rent them anymore. The nice thing about these trucks is that they cut the frame behind the cab and drop it, so you can have a really low deck. This one has a 250 Cat and a 5 speed Allison automatic. We dynamatted the whole interior and added a new Peterbuilt air seat and a bluetooth stereo, so its actually really nice to drive.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/bearmtnmartin/ldquothefridgerdquo_zps6ad44da4.jpg

tnmtn
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Martin, I had thought from your orginal posts on the truck you were going to pull the beverage bed off and replace it. but looking at these pics it looks good. basically a giant service bed. good job thinking outside the box.

LandFakers
02-13-2013, 10:57 AM
The newest vehicle I have is my 2001 GMC 2500HD and I got that in a trade for my old Ford work van I used to use for contracting. I would have loved to buy a new truck but... I dont have the money, Its a work truck and will get scratched and dented, and I cant work on these new trucks even my 2001. My son bought a 94 Ram 2500 and I love it more than my GMC. We have been working on it since day one, and it will be in the fleet till it completely rusts out. I just love older vehicles. Plus its nice to not have another loan hanging over your head

stroker51
02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
My newest rig is an 01 F250 crew short bed diesel 4x4, 168k on it. All the work trucks are 96 Fords with 7.3's and 4x4, one is an f350 and two are 250's. I have tossed around the idea of a new truck now and then but for me it comes to this. I can work on most things on the 7.3s they are fairly simple with any basic diesel mechanical knowledge, as a general rule they are very reliable, my oldest one has 275k miles, will easy go over 300k, they hold their value insanely well and I would rather have an older truck that gets er done with no payment and money in the bank any day over a new pickup. Have I had junk ones in the past, sure, but across the board the 7.3 fords have done way more than I could ever have wanted them to and keep on going. I have always said that a new pickup won't make any more money than an old pickup, and until I find out I can charge more for snow removal or hauling just because I have a new truck, I will have a hard time thinking different.

jsslawncare
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Guy's with $50,000 truck's have to work all the time. As long as you keep the old truck's looking good, there's nothing wrong with them.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
there is nothing wrong with liking your old truck ,but my 08 3.7 V6 makes the same power torq s my 1989 318 v8 did gets car like fuel mpg tows good there are good newer trucks .
I did like my old truck 318 v8 727 auto 3speed 241 trans dana 44Detroit locker front dana 44 rear locker disc brake conversion.
9500 warn winch warn winch bumper 4inch spring lift 33 inch tires .
300,000+ miles mostly off road too:):)

jsslawncare
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Martin- That's nice. Thinking out side the box.

LandFakers
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
there is nothing wrong with liking your old truck ,but my 08 3.7 V6 makes the same power torq s my 1989 318 v8 did gets car like fuel mpg tows good there are good newer trucks .
I did like my old truck 318 v8 727 auto 3speed 241 trans dana 44Detroit locker front dana 44 rear locker disc brake conversion.
9500 warn winch warn winch bumper 4inch spring lift 33 inch tires .
300,000+ miles mostly off road too:):)
Nice truck man!

Armsden&Son
02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would share... Sorry, havn't figured out how to post photo's yet but I just picked up a 2003 ford f350 super duty with a 10 ft. dump bed.. Got the dually's. Got the 5.4(i know, i know, don't say it) Came wit an 8ft. Western Pro Plow.. Got 57,000 miles on it.. And I paid $7,000.. I tend to be more of a chevy type dude, a little more diesel as well. But there was no way I could pass this up... Came from an auction and it was a Public Works vehicle... It was a sand truck, however it was garaged and sprayed down every night in the winter.. Only bit of rust is on the bottom of the doors.. rocker's are fine.. Here is an example of a great "older" truck that not only looks and drives amazing, but will suite my needs perfectly... Thanks to everyone else that is sharing as well,,,, really interesting

Greg78
02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Our newest truck is my Dad's '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins with 235k.
My truck I will be using this year is a '98 Chevrolet Cheyenne 5.0 with over 220k.
Still have my old van a '91 GMC Vandura 2500 4.3 with 222k mainly used as mobile storage around our property.

All of them run perfect.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg234/gregab78/Grass/Ram.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg234/gregab78/Grass/Greg.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg234/gregab78/Grass/Van.jpg

Armsden&Son
02-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Awesome Trucks greg78! Those 5.0 cheyenne's are rare! And honestly I would love to have that Van in my fleet because I feel as if they are so handy for transporting plants or chemicals, or tools, or some equipment, or workers... I knew a crew in the suburbs of Boston that used one of the big box type trucks(you know the ones the bigger companies have with the hydraulic ramp out of the back) Google "Super Lawn Trucks" Anyway, the one that they had was only a 3 seater, but the cargo area was huge! I swear they would pack that thing with 6 walkers and 2 walk behinds..... And what was driving behind it? A van just like yours that was outfitted to carry a bunch of passengers(seatbelts included) And, conversion ready cargo space as well. Anyway, big fan of your trucks bud.. keep it up!

Greg78
02-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Awesome Trucks greg78! Those 5.0 cheyenne's are rare! And honestly I would love to have that Van in my fleet because I feel as if they are so handy for transporting plants or chemicals, or tools, or some equipment, or workers... I knew a crew in the suburbs of Boston that used one of the big box type trucks(you know the ones the bigger companies have with the hydraulic ramp out of the back) Google "Super Lawn Trucks" Anyway, the one that they had was only a 3 seater, but the cargo area was huge! I swear they would pack that thing with 6 walkers and 2 walk behinds..... And what was driving behind it? A van just like yours that was outfitted to carry a bunch of passengers(seatbelts included) And, conversion ready cargo space as well. Anyway, big fan of your trucks bud.. keep it up!

I've used the van a lot. I used to load my Turf Tracer in it and do properties on the beach was really nice with limited parking.

Thanks for the complements.

JNB Construction
02-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Put up a picture of an old beverage truck a while ago that I was looking at. Here is the new and improved version.

Very cool looking conversion!

Patriot Services
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Www.shumatetruckcenter.com

This is a Tampa dealer that has a large selection of service trucks of all type. Buckets, boxes, utility,pu, terminix, vans, NPR. Dumps. Lots of GAO buys. Great prices, low mileage and NO RUST. Could be worth a drive for the right person.
Posted via Mobile Device

k.landscapes
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I use a 1997 Chevy 5.7 k1500, bought it last March and never had a problem. 121,xxx... just breaking it in

Patriot Services
02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Back in the late 80's and early 90's my standard favorite was the Chevy C/K series with the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. I got them cheap at lots around the bases I was staioned at. They wouldn't win any races but were easy to work on and came with extra heavy towing packages. No frills, but those trucks made me a lot of extra money.:usflag:

Greg78
02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I use a 1997 Chevy 5.7 k1500, bought it last March and never had a problem. 121,xxx... just breaking it in

Loving that chevy!!

tnmtn
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM
they have some great deals on older diesels, still with low milage for their age. talking about the shumate truck center.

tnmtn
07-21-2013, 01:45 PM
just a quick update on the old trucks. The '79 C65 chevy has been working very hard lately hauling. It has been carrying loads up to 7 tons legally without a hitch. still not the quickest truck out there but always delivers. gas milage still sucks but for the price I paid for it I can't even begin to complain.
The '94 ford got a new lift pump and injector pump about a month ago. so far that has been the biggest maintenance expense for the truck in the 5 years i've had it. it really woke up the pulling power and now I'm not having any trouble towing 6 tons. again it won't win any races but it sure has made money.
so half way through this summers work season i am very pleased with the old trucks. more importantly it's great to not have payments and enjoying the lower insurance costs.

AmericanLawn&Landscape
07-21-2013, 04:09 PM
When I buy a work truck, other then my personal which I use now. I'm going for something from 95-03. From the south so its clean, most guys around me drive around in a rotted out, $500, 30 year old "scrappers truck" basically. And I don't want to be associated with that image. I want a clean, professional image.

Dually00-00
07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
This is a great thread. Tnmtn I have always liked your C65 great reliable trucks.Our 93 K2500 5.7 has been a great truck 233,000 on the ticker.This truck still plows snow commercially and some times gets to pull a gooseneck its semi retired and has made me a ton of money.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
wow it still looks clean. And in the northeast no less.

tnmtn
07-22-2013, 08:32 PM
This is a great thread. Tnmtn I have always liked your C65 great reliable trucks.Our 93 K2500 5.7 has been a great truck 233,000 on the ticker.This truck still plows snow commercially and some times gets to pull a gooseneck its semi retired and has made me a ton of money.

nice lookin truck, I like those wheels

Dually00-00
07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys! The truck was getting rough body wise so it was repainted a few years back.