PDA

View Full Version : Backstabbed from Friend and what I thought "GOOD" customer

soloscaperman
09-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Well I have known my friend since I was 15 and I am now 28. I broke my hand and had him work with me for a month. He knew the ins and outs of my business pretty well. I have this customer that I mowed his lawn for 2 years then he had money problems since he didn't realize he couldn't afford his $2M house. Well I do work for them once in a while like trim boxwoods or cut the grass when his mower breaks. KEEP IN MIND when I mow his neighbors I actually cut his hill that joins there's because I am a nice guy and do it for free.

Getting back to the story he wanted a price to trim branches that were hanging over to these other neighbors that sent a lawyer to write a letter to them. Well I brought my so called friend since he needed money and agreed on a price which I though was high. My customer goes the price is good and I will let you do it in October because I am tight on money and I am in no rush. Well a month or two goes by and today I see on my facebook page that my friend told his friend that is a landscaper about the job! I saw the picture and it stated " NO TREE JOB IS TOO SMALL" I knew something was up because my friend got mad when my hand healed fast and stopped talking to me and he is the type that opens his big fat mouth. I never trusted him with girls but I guess I can't trust him with business.

What should I do??? I was thinking of talking to the customer and go from there or ignore my friend and customer and never mow that steep hill again. IDK I am real pissed off. I needed that money too for the winter.

Turf Commando
09-28-2012, 11:53 PM
There's no room for friends in this business. Move on find another ave .
Posted via Mobile Device

ringahding
09-29-2012, 07:02 PM
There's no room for friends in this business. Move on find another ave .
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep FAMILY(friends) & MONEY completely separate. I do not care how good you THINK it is going to be....It will show its face one day...

Patriot Services
09-29-2012, 07:04 PM
So this guy lives in a two million dollar house but needs you to mow for free, which you do. Your buddy backstabs you over a self admitted overpriced tree job. He gets legal notice and is in no hurry to rectify the situation.

I question the lack of good sense in any of you.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
So this guy lives in a two million dollar house but needs you to mow for free, which you do. Your buddy backstabs you over a self admitted overpriced tree job. He gets legal notice and is in no hurry to rectify the situation.

I question the lack of good sense in any of you.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was waiting for someone like you to post something so ignorant and an answer that is way out of bounds. There is a patch of grass that my ex customer can't mow so I take a quick pass or two since my mower can handle a steep incline and because of that they give me side work since I don't mow there lawn anymore unless like I stated his mower breaks or if there having a party or something. There is nothing wrong when it comes to mowing for FREE if the area is small. I got a $400 brush job in a different town 5 days ago because I mowed a strip of grass on the customer's neighbors walkway. The neighbor said I chose you because you mowed the strip of grass on the walkway that separates my lawn and there's. He told me there isn't many landscapers that are generous and kind. (It's hard to find customer's that appreciate good will people like me and he didn't take it for granted.)

Going back to the subject, to me the price was a little high since any shmuck can do it $50-$100 cheaper but it's one of those tree trimming jobs that could be a nightmare so I could be wrong by saying my friend and I agreed on that price. From what a girl told me yesterday is that he is back on Heroine so go figure he needs money for drugs.

The last statement was that I was shown the letter printed from the lawyer from the ex customer and he has till the end of November to trim back the tree's sorry for not stating that before.

Patriot Services
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM
So you think having an addict "help" you is a wise BUSINESS decision?
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
09-29-2012, 08:39 PM
So you think having an addict "help" you is a wise BUSINESS decision?
Posted via Mobile Device

He went to a rehab for 5-6 months and he did pretty good, he wouldn't even drink a beer at the bar since I offered him food and a pitcher. He also goes to these NA meetings a few nights a week and I thought he was doing good. Sorry that I have a big heart I wanted to help him out since he lost his landscaping business a year ago and he can't even afford his cell phone bill.

Patriot Services
09-29-2012, 08:47 PM
And this is how he repays your kindness? I know it sounds abrasive, but you don't need friends that steal and customers that can't pay.
Posted via Mobile Device

94gt331
09-29-2012, 08:51 PM
I help alot of my friends also, hope you can just move forward and cut your loss. Your friend more than likely will try this again, I've seen it before many times, but you will be the better man and move forward and leave them where they are.

soloscaperman
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
This is the first time something like this has happen but I have to realize there is a first for everything being a business owner. I surround myself with good people but some can turn on you like a pitbull. As I get older my skin gets thicker when it comes to dealing with customer's but this broke a layer of my skin. Take it as a learning experience. I really wanted to punch him in the face but I'm not a child like that.

Wayne 55
09-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Well to me this sounds like you are allowing this so called friend do work under your company insurance as a sub contractor?? If so dumb move! Also if you know for sure he slipped back to his old ways you better do some fast talking to that HO. Even if this guy is self insured and he still slipped back to his old ways useing, you owe that customer a explanation of what you know and not sit back and allow this guy to do that job. Allow the customer a chance to make a decision of who he wants to do the job. You stated you make some money off this person? If so you owe it to them to be trustworthy in appretiation of their generosity as a PT customer. A POed customer will ruin you faster than a friend. More than friendship is riding here you owe it to your business before friends.

nparish
10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey I have owned several pitbulls and never had one turn on me. The one other dog I have owned other than a pitbull was a beagle and that dog bit me my wife my daughter, other dogs, eventually we gave her to another family and she attacked all of them as well. I Actually kind of empathized with you until I read that sentence. Carry on.

RussellB
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Well to me this sounds like you are allowing this so called friend do work under your company insurance as a sub contractor?? If so dumb move! Also if you know for sure he slipped back to his old ways you better do some fast talking to that HO. Even if this guy is self insured and he still slipped back to his old ways useing, you owe that customer a explanation of what you know and not sit back and allow this guy to do that job. Allow the customer a chance to make a decision of who he wants to do the job. You stated you make some money off this person? If so you owe it to them to be trustworthy in appretiation of their generosity as a PT customer. A POed customer will ruin you faster than a friend. More than friendship is riding here you owe it to your business before friends.

Are you suggesting he tells the homeowner that hired his friend that the guy is an addict? No way! I'd stay far away from both individuals. lesson learned and move on.

soloscaperman
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Well after 2 calls it's been over a week and no response from the homeowner. Also I guess an addict will always be an addict. I was being ignorant not nice when it came to giving my old friend a chance.

To the other statement a Pitbull will snap, it's just a matter of when. I have been reading up on pit bulls since there have been many attacks lately and sadly it's how they are breaded and trained. Someone also stated it's in their genetics.

nparish
10-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I surround myself with good people
Lol I wouldn't consider heroin addicts good people my friend. I have been reading up on addicts and as it turns out once a junkie always a junkie. I would limit my distance from this sack of garbage before he robs you blind so that he can get his next fix. I hope for your sake you don't end up as the next Ronald Popo, surrounding yourself with these so called "good people".

J&A Lawn Care
10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Well after 2 calls it's been over a week and no response from the homeowner. Also I guess an addict will always be an addict. I was being ignorant not nice when it came to giving my old friend a chance.

To the other statement a Pitbull will snap, it's just a matter of when. I have been reading up on pit bulls since there have been many attacks lately and sadly it's how they are breaded and trained. Someone also stated it's in their genetics.

WOW you have NO CLUE!! The breed gets a BAD name but 90% of the problem is the owners!!My last pitbull was 13 when I had her put to sleep from cancer. Her replacement is 13 now and still going.My sister has a small dog and has bit several people.You have NO clue how many lines of terrier dogs there are and it is so easy to blame it on the Pitbull.There was a lady in NY that got attacked and killed by 3 dogs.The headlines read Pitbulls attack and kill lady WOW it was 2 hound dogs and a cane corso.Just another CLUELESS person trying to give the breed a even worse name. You think it is there genetics to attack people LMAO

Richard Martin
10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
WOW you have NO CLUE!! The breed gets a BAD name but 90% of the problem is the owners!!My last pitbull was 13 when I had her put to sleep from cancer. Her replacement is 13 now and still going.My sister has a small dog and has bit several people.You have NO clue how many lines of terrier dogs there are and it is so easy to blame it on the Pitbull.There was a lady in NY that got attacked and killed by 3 dogs.The headlines read Pitbulls attack and kill lady WOW it was 2 hound dogs and a cane corso.Just another CLUELESS person trying to give the breed a even worse name. You think it is there genetics to attack people LMAO

It may be the owner, but these dogs are fanatical and relentless when they do attack. That is why they have a bad reputation. Yes there are other dogs that can do some damage and even kill when they attack, but it seems to happen way too often with pit bulls. These dogs were bred to be able to do damage and be relentless. I'm not clueless and these dogs do terrify me. I would not want this beast attacking me.

http://jrickerd.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/76.jpg

Cummins343
10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
That's life, move on.

alldayrj
10-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I got bit in the calf by a rescue pit yesterday. It was great. I love pits. Sarcasm
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
10-11-2012, 02:40 AM
If one of my friends underbid me on something I'd look at it as they must need the money real bad, let em do it. That being said, I'm one that rather then having a bunch of "friends" I have 3 or 4 very close friends that have never let me down when I've painted myself into a corner, and I sure try to do the same for them. I place a much higher value on friendships then whatever your buddy makes pruning some trees. Though it does sound like your friend is kinda shady, may wanna re evaluate that situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

J&A Lawn Care
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
This is what I am talking about 99% of the people here that has never seen this will get it wrong.In a moment of panic though it was a pitbull that did it though!
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html