PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning White Marble decorative stone????

Green Pastures
01-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Anybody have any ideas? Is there a way to clean this white stone, without killing the bedded plants?

I've got a customer with a huge white marble bed and it just gets nasty looking every couple years. Customer does not want to keep "top dressing" the stone.

Help.....................

dougaustreim
01-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Best solution long term Switch to another kind of stone.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

rodfather
01-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Have you thought about pressure washing it?

Green Pastures
01-20-2003, 12:15 PM
I have thought about pressure washing, but I guess I wasn't clear in my post.

I'm more concerned with what cleaner/chemical/solvent I could use to clean the stone that will not hurt the plants. The marble gets a black (mold)??? on it. Don't have any idea if it's really a mold or something else.

rodfather
01-20-2003, 05:00 PM
You could cover them, but that wouldn't protect their root structure. This is a tough one to figure out.

dougaustreim
01-20-2003, 05:44 PM
I don't know the actual chemistry that takes place, but it seems to me that white marble reacts with the city or well water that is used for watering. I have found it very hard to keep white marble looking good. To my notion it looks so artificial that it is not really good landscaping to begin with. I will not use it myself, and I strongly urge any of our clients to use something else for beds that is easier to maintain and has a more natural look.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

rodfather
01-20-2003, 05:55 PM
It almost seems like you need to bleach the stone with clorox or something else...but then, what about the plants though???

hosejockey2002
01-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Maybe you could tumble the stone in a cement mixer with bleach and then rinse it somehow, maybe through a screen. Then again, that sounds very labor intensive. Spray paint it every year??:dizzy: :dizzy: This is a tough one.

AGLA
01-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Marble is a stone made from calcium and is affected by acid rather easily, I believe. A mild acid should whiten it pretty easily, I would think. It is just a matter of how to do it without hurting the plants.

Mike Bradbury
02-01-2003, 04:06 AM
backpack sprayer

affprop
02-01-2003, 10:05 PM
I would look into Muriatic Acid. I used it to clean brick around a customers house with a pressure washer and a wire brush, it did not kill any grass or shrubs around the area. Good luck.

UTM-PIKE
02-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Are you serious??? I used muratic acid to clean up a brick mailbox for our fraternity house. I accidently spilled some on the asphalt and it ate away the top layer boiling and smoking, no telling what it does to plants!!! Just my $.02

dougaustreim
02-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Over the last 30 years, I have encountered rock that needed cleaning many times of all types. We tried various methods on different occassions. I have firmly concluded that unless you can clean it up quickly with nothing more than a leaf blower or a garden hose, you will be money ahead to remove and replace.

The white marble in particular is always dirty and IMO it shouldn't even be used on quality landscape projects

Doug
Austreim Landscaping