PDA

View Full Version : Did You Ever Want to Bi*ch Slap a Customer?

dhicks
08-18-2000, 12:05 AM
The next customer that “just wants to help me – I’ll quit on the spot”.

I arrived at a customer’s house today to find most of the back yard turf dead! The customer had a beautiful back yard: the grass was lush and thick and the garden has more beautiful plants than you can shake at stick at.

Last week, while mowing his yard he came outside to greet (interrupt) me and asked me “what type of odd looking grass is growing among his fescue and Bluegrass”. It appeared to be a type of Johnson grass. There were about 20-30 strands. I told him that one my next visits that I would paint the Johnson grass with Round Up by simply using an artist brush. It wouldn't taken me more than a few minutes.

Since last week he sprayed Round Up on the Johnson grass then tracked it though most of the lawn. Now the entire back yard turf about dead. The dumb sh*t used a 1 gallon sprayer, too.

Next year I’m going to add a new category to my financial program called STUPIDITY. And they are going to pay it!

yardsmith
08-18-2000, 12:20 AM
Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us sooner or later, just diff. circumstances.
I guess the most imp. thing all of us can learn from this is: DON'T TELL THE CUSTOMER'S HOW YOU WILL FIX THEIR PROBLEMS, JUST TELL THEM YOU WILL FIX THE SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!
As soon as you divulge trade secrets or other info, they're gonna play "johnny I-can-do-it-myself-for-cheaper" homeowner. Then they really screw it up. I'm sure we can all remember 1 or more instances like this.
Bottom line: the less you tell, the better. It also keeps you more knowledgeable than the homeowner, because you're not giving out free tech advice on sensitive issues like this.

Toroguy
08-18-2000, 12:31 AM
I think the customer slapped themself. Do you do lawn renovations, if so all your customers should take advice from this cat.

bob
08-18-2000, 12:43 AM
I had a customer spray all the weeds in his beautiful lawn with Round-up. I guess he thought he was a dead-eye aim with the sprayer, but you guessed it........he wasn't. Brown spots all over his yard!!

TGCummings
08-18-2000, 12:47 AM
Bob,

I had a customer today who did the same thing, after I advised her not to.

You can cut for 'em, but you can't think for 'em, too... ;)

-TGC

bob
08-18-2000, 12:27 PM
What gets me even more is these people buy "ready to use Round Up". It costs something like $12 a gallon. I guess they don't know they could mix it themselves for about $2 a gallon.

cos
08-18-2000, 01:16 PM
oh man, I think this has to be 1 of the funniest threads I read in a while

gusbuster
08-18-2000, 04:45 PM
I love it:) when Orchard Hardware Supply(owned by sears) or Home Depot runs the "Get rid of your weeds with Round up" ads. I get so many new install jobs because of this.
Customer: Mr. Curutchet, Why is my grass dead?
Me: I see a brown spot with a dead weed in the center and ask client” What did you spray?
Customer: Well this is what the guy in the garden department gave me. He said it would get rid of my weeds in my lawn.

Do I need to say more?

John

MOW ED
08-18-2000, 06:53 PM
Now you have less to mow at the same price and you can sell him a lawn renovation in the fall. Sometimes stupidity can work to your advantage. Good Luck

dhicks
08-18-2000, 07:15 PM
Mow Ed: You can bet on that. I will power seed his back yard and make about $220.00. I'm just tired of customers that "just want to help me out". While I remain civil and bit my tongue and say "yes sir", my blood pressure hit something like a billon over a gazillion.

I remian thankful that he does not work with me.

cuttin
08-18-2000, 08:25 PM
That's a shame to see all you r work ruined by a "helpful" customer, but maybe after you repair the damage and collect the green, he'll let you handle everything again without even thinking about trying to "help".

g888642
08-19-2000, 10:01 AM
I noticed all of Andrews posts were gone, I guess he deleted them. I deleted all responses to his posts and cleaned this thread up. Lets keep the discussions to Lawn Care here and all try to get along like Adult Professionals, because that's what we are supposed to be. :)

Lawnsite Moderator

[Edited by Eric ELM on 08-19-2000 at 04:41 PM]

jaclawn
08-19-2000, 09:51 PM
Labor rate:

Reg. $40/Hour
If you wait. $50/Hour
If you watch. $60/Hour
If you help. $70/Hour
If you already worked on it yourself. $90/Hour

dhicks
08-19-2000, 11:01 PM
jaclawn: I like your pricing structure. Thanks!

T.L.C. Lawn Service
08-20-2000, 12:09 AM
I felt like that today when I was doing a little finishing touches on the job and the customer which had been breathing down my back the past 20mins looks at me and tries to tell me I am doing my job wrong. I looked and him like ok if your such a pro why do you need to hire a lawn service to make your yard look good. Man it was bad enough that they follow me around preaching about god everytime I come but then to tell me how to do my job. That really makes you wana b*tch slap them.