PDA

View Full Version : Red lava rock/crushed brick mulch

osc
01-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Search = nothing so here goes...

Anyone ever priced red lava rock or red crushed brick for mulch job? Some of the fast food joints are starting to use this for curbed in areas that are difficult to maintain.
I've seen the lava rock in 2 cu ft bags but I need it in bulk. I haven't a clue on pricing.
The lava rock looks sharp next to beds in black hardwood.

turfquip
01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
It's available both ways here in Northern Kentucky. Keep in mind that labor expenses are going to be higher on lava rock jobs compared to mulch.

Two reasons for this that I can think of right away are 1) the need for a weed mat (and pins)under the installation, and, due to the cost of the materials vs. hardwood the need to use just the right thickness which completely covers the weed mat and yet doesn't pile rocks on too thick....thereby wasting $$$.

Tim Canavan
01-20-2003, 03:27 PM
I've done the lava rock beds before around a pool at a residential house. I charged them 120.00 a yard. There are 13.5 of those 2 cu. ft. bags in a yard. You might be able to get a discount from a Lowe's or Home Depot, especially if you do alot of buisness there and they know you. I ordered by the pallet, so it worked for me.

Hey turfquip, what the hell is that thing, a fish?

turfquip
01-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Nahhh, that's a pissed off mole. I caught it late last year, took some close up photos, threw it all into my animator and came up with this avatar.

Moles do bite ya know :D

Tim Canavan
01-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by turfquip
Nahhh, that's a pissed off mole. I caught it late last year, took some close up photos, threw it all into my animator and came up with this avatar.

Moles do bite ya know :D

That's great! Any relation to the little one from Caddyshack?

turfquip
01-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Not likely. The problem on Caddyshack was, as you may now recall, with a gopher :-)