PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Customer DON'T List

Jerrys Lawn Service
08-17-2000, 11:30 PM
If your Lawn is scheduled to be cut Friday afternoon,
DON'T...

10 - Hang your laundry, we don't like racing stripes in our face.

9 - Water your lawn...nuf said.

8 - Put your dog out to take a dump just as we arrive, by
the way, we mow around it!

7 - Wash your car and decide to hose down the driveway...the gutter...the garage...the house...etc.

6 - Decide to weed your garden as we mow.

5 - Schedule roofers or aluminum siding.

4 - Paint your fence.

3 - Bury your recently deceased spouse's ashes, complete with a cross, flowers and a body sized mound of dirt.
This actually happened!

2 - Let your little dog out and think it's sooo cute how she chases the big mower!

1 - Have us show up to mow your lawn and find your brother-in-law has already mowed it, we will still expect to be paid.

Toroguy
08-17-2000, 11:37 PM
Yes those are common annoyances.

-Dont sealcoat your driveway.

bob
08-17-2000, 11:48 PM
I had one woman decide to water her plants 5 minutes after I got there and pulled the hose across the yard. I should have run over it for spite.

TGCummings
08-17-2000, 11:50 PM
Jerry, have you been cutting my lawns?? ;)

-TGC

yardsmith
08-18-2000, 12:46 AM
we have a 4 acre yard that takes about 2 man hrs. cuz it's thick & tall every week, & we can only get 1 cut a week.
Anyways, it's vacant, & on the market. We always mow inside the fence at the swimming pool last. The neighbor kids are in charge of maintaining the pool & related stuff.
Do you think the ignorant kids could come over before or during the 1st hour we were there? NO! They wait until we're mowing around the pool, then they all come over & start their BS. Shoulda put the discharge chute back on & filled the pool with clippings. Stupid kids........

Stinger
08-18-2000, 09:50 AM
And how many times have we heard: while you are here (mowing the lawn) could you get some of your guys to do this, this, and this which doesent even pertain to the landscape. I know it will only take a minute replies your customer.
Gee no problem lady i've only got 14 more lawns before I can go home today, as your pager goes off again!

bob
08-18-2000, 11:10 AM
:eek: I had one woman interupt me 5 times while I was on her 4000 ft lawn. I should charge an "interuption fee" after the 2nd interuption.Maybe $5 every time you stop me! I could write a book about annoying customers. This is why I like commercial jobs better than residential. Theres no one watching you like a hawk.

cos
08-18-2000, 12:20 PM
been there done that except #3

MOW ED
08-18-2000, 05:59 PM
That cute dog chasing the mower is gonna be hotdog stuffing next time. She also thinks its cute when the dog comes up behind me when I'm string trimming. The dog is gonna have stripes next time.

Twotoros
08-18-2000, 06:05 PM
Trimmed out a lawn a couple of friday's ago and when I mowed to the backyard the lady had started her sprinkler !!!!!!!!!!! She just looked at me and said 'oh I forgot it was friday'!!!!!!! I just trimmed by her 10minutes earlier. Must have neen thursday then.

cuttin
08-18-2000, 06:19 PM
Was doing a lawn this week and the customer's sprinklers actually came on while mowing.I politely informed her of the situation(and the soaking of some equiptment) and she turned them off.Also have a customer that is fond of sitting on his front steps with his family,including an infant grandchild,while I mow.Still have to ask them to move it inside EVERY TIME I MOW! They won't be there when I show up, but as soon as the kawi's purrin, there they are.
Hmmmmm....

Charles
08-18-2000, 06:35 PM
OK, these blinking eyes driving me crazy. The more you work with the public. The more you wonder how most of them made it past 40. Seems they get the stupid disease somewhere along the way.

thelawnguy
08-18-2000, 09:06 PM
(LOL at Charles)

Thats a problem, in the past we'd have a war every 20 years or so to thin the herd, now its just heavy traffic and bungee jumping to add chlorine to the gene pool.

cos
08-18-2000, 10:13 PM
i had that problem once, dumb **tch forgot to turn off the sprinkler system after i told her i was comin. Of course, where was i when they turned on?..... Right in the middle. I got it from every sprinkler.

Toroguy
08-19-2000, 02:18 AM
How about a tree pruned so only Doug Flutie can limbo under it?

KirbysLawn
08-19-2000, 02:18 AM
I would have been very happy if any of my customers had turned their sprinklers on today while I was mowing! 90 degrees and 60% humidity, we had a cold front go through tonight and cooled things a little. :)

lawnMaster5000
08-19-2000, 01:17 PM
90 degrees 60% thats nothing move to st. louis.

well the one thing that happens more than i can believe is CAR WASHING. In the middle of the summer or even fall, people will come outside and wash thier car after seeing you mowing the lawn. Do they think that the dust wont land on thier car? What are these people thinking?

then they try and blame us for getting the car all dirty, "I JUST WASHED IT"

TGCummings
08-19-2000, 01:30 PM
LawnMaster,

That happens to me all the time. I guess people set up their day around washing the car at a specific time, and no gardener is gonna screw up their schedule! ;)

Still, I envy your location. If I could live anywhere in the world, besides where I am now, I would live in St. Louis.

Go Rams. ;)

Two Toros, that is the single funniest thing I've read yet. "Musta been Thursday then..." LOL!

-TGC

jaclawn
08-19-2000, 08:48 PM
If your Lawn is scheduled to be cut Friday afternoon,
DON'T...
5 - Schedule roofers or aluminum siding.

Oftentimes this cannot be helped. We sit here and complain about our customers changing our schedules, and then expect other types of contractrors to do the same. I am sure that a roofer or remodler would fall on the floor laughing if I told them not to come to my house today to work because I was having my grass cut.

Jerrys Lawn Service
08-20-2000, 02:12 PM
Jaclawn,

Point well taken.

How about we revise?

Don't schedule siding or roofing to have us waste a trip and see what looks like Hurricane aftermath, followed by that famous line, "Oh, I guess I should have called you."

All and all most of our customers are pretty good people who do keep us informed, pay us and don't give us a hard time. You're gonna have to deal with some idiots whether you're cutting lawns or sitting at a computer in some corporate job. I'd rather be sitting on my Scag Turf Tiger taking in the rays anyday.

J.L.S.

[Edited by Jerrys Lawn Service on 08-20-2000 at 06:20 PM]

cantoo
08-20-2000, 09:31 PM
I fixed the roofing problem, I shingled the roof while my wife cut the grass, then she helped me finish it off.