PDA

View Full Version : My first paver install.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
The finishing around the patio/walk still needs completed. A gravel bed around hedge, new soil and grass along walk and patio, and a final joint sand on the edges.

amscapes03
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Loose the paver slivers in your (radius) soldier course. Make wedges from whole pavers.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Loose the paver slivers in your (radius) soldier course. Make wedges from whole pavers.

They are pie shaped wedges cut from whole pavers. Thanks for the input.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
They are pie shaped wedges cut from whole pavers. Thanks for the input.

After thought, I think I misunderstood what you meant. You meant I should have cut many pie wedges to make the curve instead of filling the gaps! Again, thanks for the input. That would be much more uniform in appearance.

DVS Hardscaper
10-02-2012, 06:00 PM
the slivers are a no no.

But glad to see you used filter fabric!

alldayrj
10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
X3 on the cheesecake pieces but i like that pattern. Cst pavers?
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
X3 on the cheesecake pieces but i like that pattern. Cst pavers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, they are startford pavers from RI lampus. Each repeating module has 7 pieces in it.

swampdonk
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
the slivers are a no no.

But glad to see you used filter fabric!

Just curious as to why people use fabric. I have never used it and have had zero problems with sand sifting or any other issues. Maybe it's because we use class 2 road base under our sand. Just curious.

blakescape
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Just curious as to why people use fabric. I have never used it and have had zero problems with sand sifting or any other issues. Maybe it's because we use class 2 road base under our sand. Just curious.

Read this:

http://www.geotextile.com/downloads/Propex%20EB-101%20Geotextile%20Functions%20in%20Paved%20and%20Unpaved%20Roads.pdf

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-02-2012, 11:19 PM

Most times they it is inexpensive insurance for extending the life of the base. It is necessary where there is clay or silts. There was some clay content in this location.

neversatisfiedj
10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
What the He(( is up with the bond lines ?

Glenn Lawn Care
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
10-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm about to engage on my first paver walkway, hope it turns out as nice as yours did. I'm trying to get a hint on how to bid it? it's a 150' long 4 1/2 ' wide I know the pavers all cost different but just a close estimation would be nice?

alldayrj
10-03-2012, 06:13 PM
10k cash
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I really don't like how the pavers look crooked on your walkway, maybe its the pattern but it doesn't lend to an attractive design. Other than that, its kinda hard to tell but it looks like you did an ok job.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I really don't like how the pavers look crooked on your walkway, maybe its the pattern but it doesn't lend to an attractive design. Other than that, its kinda hard to tell but it looks like you did an ok job.

The pavers were laid perpendicular to the house and porch. Those line were kept in the walkway. The walkway went the way it did based on the free stack wall and hedge. IMO, changing the lines in the walk wouldn't have looked as good.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
What the He(( is up with the bond lines ?

Do you mean why don't any lines line up? If so, its the pattern used. I used 7 pieces to make each repeating module. Then each new module step out from the top of the existing module.

http://www.lampus.com/application/assets/downloads/stratford-pattern.pdf

I used pattern ST-15 .

zedosix
10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
The pavers were laid perpendicular to the house and porch. Those line were kept in the walkway. The walkway went the way it did based on the free stack wall and hedge. IMO, changing the lines in the walk wouldn't have looked as good.

In a situation like that I would of just put the entire pattern on a 45deg. It wouldn't of looked so out of line that way. There is always something to learn from any job you do, and one of the most important is planning and drawing a design to scale. This way you can get a birds eye view of what the project will look like when finished. You may of done a plan already but were you aware of how this would look exactly when it was finished.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
In a situation like that I would of just put the entire pattern on a 45deg. It wouldn't of looked so out of line that way. There is always something to learn from any job you do, and one of the most important is planning and drawing a design to scale. This way you can get a birds eye view of what the project will look like when finished. You may of done a plan already but were you aware of how this would look exactly when it was finished.

I did go back and forth with the customer on how to lay the pattern and how the walk was going to look with each possibility. The 45 idea did come up, but they choose this way because they didnt like the idea of the patio looking crooked to the house. They choose to have the walk the way it is. I wasn't to keen on the 45 either. When working with so many existing obstacles, compromise needed to be made.

alldayrj
10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Next time you could break it at the walk with a rowlock. I've done that before in similar situation and it also saves tons of time on cuts
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Next time you could break it at the walk with a rowlock. I've done that before in similar situation and it also saves tons of time on cuts
Posted via Mobile Device

I like that. I did not think about that.

alldayrj
10-03-2012, 11:24 PM
One walk i did. Wasnt crazy about it at the time but I'm happy with the result
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/AEB4F547-7491-4142-B9E1-9BF766208631-3426-0000034E9E612E05.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/AA17CD7C-A10F-4934-9E36-38D61E8BA817-3426-0000034EA42080F0.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

AzLawnMan
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
You can clearly see where you changed the lines and angles in the last picture of you walk way. Looks outta place and off. Does not match up at all. Unless it's the pic, I could be wrong but it doesn't line up at all.

alldayrj
10-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Thats the point. Stop one section of pattern. Start another. Lines up perpendicular to the porch and parallel to the majority of the walkway
Posted via Mobile Device

AztlanLC
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
It's just not my look to be honest but maybe looks good in person or after seen the whole landscape but in those pictures it just doesn't flow very well

zedosix
10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Ya, looks well done except for the change of pattern. Did you do it for yourself or a customer.

alldayrj
10-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Me? For a customer. My patio is broken concrete haha. They we're happy with it and i ran it past them before hand. Obviously there are 3 or 4 good ways and a million other ways to do every project. Just offering up another option to the OP.
i like it this way because it avoids all the little cuts along the walk if i started at the house. And if i started at the walk it would have looked twisted where it met the porch like people we're complaining about in the OPs walkway
Pick your poison
Posted via Mobile Device

bigslick7878
10-05-2012, 01:54 AM
It will be a cold day in hell before I did something like that pattern, it looks terrible IMO.

And I know you are a top quality guy alldayjr just could never do a pattern like that.

That transition is just ughhhh

chesterlawn
10-05-2012, 07:34 AM
I just visit here, but in the first picture when looking at the three steps the patio should have been a little wider to the right. Maybe to the point where there are pavers on both sides of the steps?

alldayrj
10-05-2012, 09:43 AM
It will be a cold day in hell before I did something like that pattern, it looks terrible IMO.

And I know you are a top quality guy alldayjr just could never do a pattern like that.

That transition is just ughhhh
Hey I'm not taking it personal. Its customer preference. I hate nicolocks and i hate working with 3 different bricks on such a small project. I still have 3/4 of a pallet of those damn pink 6x6s sitting in my yard.
So you guys all would have ran the pattern with a ton of cuts down the walkway?
Posted via Mobile Device

big daddy b
10-05-2012, 06:38 PM
The OPs job looks pretty good, I like the contrast on the different color soldier. The field pattern doesn't really look great, but at least looks well executed.

To the above pictures of the other walkway....who does something like that? I mean I guess I can kind of see your pain when reffering to the amount of cutting you have, but it wouldn't be all that bad if cut in a better way. I certainly would never change pattern like that in the middle of a flowing walkway, spoke or not.

alldayrj
10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Show me how you did it on a similar walkway. I already said it was less than ideal but me and the homeowner agreed this was the best compromise. Got paid and a $150 tip so its not all that bad
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
10-07-2012, 09:45 AM
it looks pretty good for a first time install, but a few things I see that stand out that should be addressed.

Yes, just cut whol pieces for your soldier course and loose the small wedges.

Salior course looks good, up until the walkway. I would have made the walkway about 1' wider becasue it just looks way to narrow with the salior course.

I guess this is more of a question than doing something different. But did you pull string lines when you laid your brick? 1 going perpendicular with the house/stair case and the other perpendicular with the patio area? To me it looks like your pattern got out of line somewhere. You should pull a string line off something square going each direction then start laying your pattern, that way your always laying square. THe other thing that stands out slightly, which is maybe why your walk looks a little different is that it looks like the walkway is on a slight angle instead of square off the patio wall and the rock wall.

Just a few minor things but it will all work out over time as you do more.

lukemelo216
10-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm about to engage on my first paver walkway, hope it turns out as nice as yours did. I'm trying to get a hint on how to bid it? it's a 150' long 4 1/2 ' wide I know the pavers all cost different but just a close estimation would be nice?

Depending on matierials and site conditions that is all a 11-15k project after installation and then restoration.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
it looks pretty good for a first time install, but a few things I see that stand out that should be addressed.

Yes, just cut whol pieces for your soldier course and loose the small wedges.

Salior course looks good, up until the walkway. I would have made the walkway about 1' wider becasue it just looks way to narrow with the salior course.

I guess this is more of a question than doing something different. But did you pull string lines when you laid your brick? 1 going perpendicular with the house/stair case and the other perpendicular with the patio area? To me it looks like your pattern got out of line somewhere. You should pull a string line off something square going each direction then start laying your pattern, that way your always laying square. THe other thing that stands out slightly, which is maybe why your walk looks a little different is that it looks like the walkway is on a slight angle instead of square off the patio wall and the rock wall.

Just a few minor things but it will all work out over time as you do more.

I wanted to make the walk 4' instead of 3', but the customer thought it would look too wide for the area. The pattern looks out of alignment from where I took the pic because the stairs there are not perpendicular to the house or porch. The pattern is laid to the house and porch and is square to them.

Thanks for the input. All is greatly appreciated, its a great way for a solo to improve the next project. The more eyes the better!

alexschultz1
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Am i the only one who kinida likes r.j.'s design...?

If it were me i would have used a more greyish red brick to not contrast so much with the grey pavers, also bring the red bricks to the border, then do rj's idea of breaking the design from the patio and walkway, use the red bricks to seperate the two of them.

nobagger
10-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi Bob, looks like you've been busy. What did you use to excavate everything....reason I ask is my skid is available if you ever need it. We did one total landscape renovation this year and ended up installing a patio along with it, came out nice, customer's were happy with it so thats all that matters right.