PDA

View Full Version : to aerify or not to aerify


superintendent
10-02-2012, 10:48 PM
We have had 3-4 inches of rain in the last week and it stopped tonight. My question is, I have several more yards to aerify should I let them dry up or go for it? I have some that are getting slit seeded afterwards but I will let those dry up a day or so after I aerify them before I do them.

MySide
10-02-2012, 10:56 PM
core aerification on a home lawn? is that really necessary? I can't see that there's enough traffic to create the compaction that we see on a golf course that requires core aerification. I can't justify it myself... just my two cents.

mikesturf
10-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I would wait until they dry up. Otherwise you will be leaving tire ruts in the lawn.

I aerate 90% of all my customers lawns.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Too wet??

I wish.

Here I am waiting for it to rain TO aerate. Hasn't rained here in a month. Bone dry rock hard MN clay.

macgyver_GA
10-02-2012, 11:50 PM
It is possible to get an aerator stuck in the mud... especially in our GA red clay

Ask me how I know...

Smallaxe
10-03-2012, 04:33 AM
We can aerate right up until the ground freezes, but I don't want to do it early, if its too dry or too wet... aerating in soggy clay type soil causes the problem of puddling, which means turning the plugs into stoney/gravelly chunks and possible compacted edges around the holes... if the process doesn't promote positive steps towards better tilth, then you are better off waiting, for decent soil moisture...