PDA

View Full Version : Hard Prune of Bottle Brush

lsylvain
10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I have a customer that just installed some new lighting at his home and an 8' bottle brush that is pruned into a hedge is in the way of the lighting and needs to come down to 4'. Being in the myrtle family I would think that it could handle this but I'm not sure. Any help would be useful.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2012, 10:15 PM
The first problem is keeping a bottle brush as a hedge. It is a tree. Replace with actual hedge material.
Posted via Mobile Device

R & R Yard Designs
10-03-2012, 10:39 PM
We cut oirs down every winter
Posted via Mobile Device

lsylvain
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
The first problem is keeping a bottle brush as a hedge. It is a tree. Replace with actual hedge material.
Posted via Mobile Device

It actually makes an awesome hedge (really not quite a hedge but more than a bush) and becomes nearly solid flowers when in bloom. It doesn't grow to fast and is easy to maintain. I don't know what genius "professional" landscaper decided to plant it 12" away from the house and 12" off the driveway but they did. So for the last 15 years the owner has kept it trimmed so it wasn't on the house or blocking the garage door and it has become really nice and thick.

lsylvain
10-03-2012, 11:17 PM
We cut oirs down every winter
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? And it bounces right back? I'm just afraid taking out 1/2 of it will cause to much damage.

Thanks