PDA

View Full Version : Perineal rye vs tall fescue

grassmasterswilson
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
We are in a transition zone and 90% of fescue lawns die out because of drought and heat every year. I have completed all my fescue seeding an hoping the customer waters properly.

I'm in the process of going back to lawns I mow and mowing if possible and filling in thin spots with more seed. Anyone know what soil or air temp you would stop seeding?

Any thoughts on using perineal rye as it turns cooler. The varieties I have used look just like fescue only it dies off faster with heat. I've thought about ping back over some lawns that I now with a hand spreader or possibly 1-2 lbs per 1000 to fill it in. Thoughts on that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
50's soil
no rye

RigglePLC
10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I agree Mr. Wilson,
Perennial rye is not really suited to hot weather climate. Brown patch, gray leaf spot, red thread, drought kill, and temps over 95 are problematic. Use a proper grass adapted to your climate. And if you use rye ,or rye mixtures, be prepared to apologize to your customers when the rye fades out ...again.

I agree, not much happens below 50 degrees, (or super slow at best).

Be sure you understand what happened--was it the fescue that died out in the heat--or--was it actually rye that someone had planted in a previous year? Learn to tell the difference.

TurnerLandscape
10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
fescue needs soil temps 55 or above for germination, and should germinate within 10 days of seeding. i live in a transition zone as well and have great success with FINELAWN ELITE TALL FESCUE

jonthepain
10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
NC State recommends not using rye here in the Piedmont.

It's frustrating trying to get tttf to survive our summers, but then on the other hand, overseeding season is very good to us here.