PDA

View Full Version : New Gravely Pro-Stance Stander Review!!! With PICS!!!

Pages : [1] 2

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Due to the success of my Gravely 400 series review Gravely has sent me the new Pro-Stance stander for as long as I need to test and write another honest review!! Over the next couple of weeks I will give my opinion on the performance of the Pro-Stance 52Ē in northern cool season grasses, wet and dry conditions, hills and in lawns that range from weeds to finely manicured KBG. And probably some leaf clean up in a few weeks.

Once again the first thing I noticed when I took delivery this morning was the fit and finish on the Pro-Stance is amazing! Perfect welds, paint, wire routing etc. Gravely took great care when designing and assembling this mower. The fine details in my opinion are second to none. Gravely has made another industrial grade mower, the front end and frame are massive! Durability will not be a problem with the Pro-Stance and just like the 400 series this mower is built much stronger than it needs to be. Lifetime deck and frame warranty!!

I have been told by Gravely that this stander has the lowest center of gravity in the industry as well as the best weight distribution. The front end was designed to climb hills without coming off the ground and the back end was designed for traction. The suspension platform was made so the operator can move around their weight when needed and the fenders even have foot platforms to lean way off the machine while mowing across steep hills. The suspension platform folds up to operate the machine in walk behind mode with tons of leg/foot room. The suspension platform also has a separate rubber isolated platform on top of it to reduce vibration to the operator. The deck lift can be operated by hand or foot so you can float the deck while mowing over rocks etc. The deck is hung with control arms instead of chains to prevent the deck from swaying and bouncing which will improve cut quality and hill side stability. The deck height is changed by the dial adjust deck lift system which I love on my 452. The Pro-Stance is the first stander in the industry to have integrated wheel pumps and motors with the Hydro-Gear 3400 series transaxles with two cooling fans and two separate reservoirs. The 52Ē Pro-Stance is equipped with a 22 HP Kawi., 9 gallon gas tank with fuel gauge, hybrid run flats on the front, adjustable speed control and a huge pad to lean on. I was told the deck is an improved version of the Great Dane/Ever Ride deck. Iím a huge fan of Gravelyís X-Factor deck so Iím curious how this will deck perform.

I did mow 10 lawns today in the rain with good results. Iím still getting use to the controls and the machine so my stripes are not perfectly straight yet! I should be mowing in dry conditions tomorrow, I hopeÖ

Give me a week or so and I will start posting my opinions on performance.

Enjoy the pics!!!!

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Pics continued...

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
More pics...

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Even more pics...

Ridin' Green
10-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Too funny! I just posted my review about 10 minutes after you. I ran the 48". I think you do better reviews BTW (but then you should seeing as how you're on Gravely's payroll:laugh:).

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Too funny! I just posted my review about 10 minutes after you. I ran the 48". I think you do better reviews BTW (but then you should seeing as how you're on Gravely's payroll:laugh:).

I wish I could make some extra $$$$!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ridin' Green
10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I wish I could make some extra $$$$!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You darn well should be making some! You've probably done more to help Gravely sell mowers this year than anything else.

GMLC
10-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Here are some cut quality pics in the rain. No clumps and the deck stayed pretty clean considering. Again I know the stripes are not perfectly straight yet as I'm getting use to the machine.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Nice I was wondering how it was going to turn out. Nice review. Keep us informed

weaver
10-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Does it come in a 36 in model?

GMLC
10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Does it come in a 36 in model?

As of now 48, 52 and 61". Gravely does listen to us so a 36 would be a great recommendation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawkshot99
10-04-2012, 10:18 PM
How do you feel it did on the wet grass vs. what your x factor would have done? do you find the walk behind mode to actually be useful or just a gimmick?
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
i'm sure they will make a 36 at some point, especially if these models do well, and i think they will, lot of potential...can u explain the front casters in more detail? our grandstands are solid rubber which is nice, never have to worry about air...

cpllawncare
10-04-2012, 11:14 PM
It's my understanding Wright is making Gravely's standers? They do look very similier in design. If there was a Gravely dealer or dealers around here I would be tempted to demo one we're pretty much all JD,Scag,Exmark,Walker and Toro around here, although I did see a Wright just the other day. It looks to have a lot of really good features maybe too many, overcomplicated in a sense.

Turf Dawg
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Do these new standers have the same deck as the old ones? I demoed one of the old ones and it cut like crap on our junk grasses but the z's cut good.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
10-04-2012, 11:37 PM
How do you feel it did on the wet grass vs. what your x factor would have done? do you find the walk behind mode to actually be useful or just a gimmick?
Posted via Mobile Device

The walk behind mode becomes useful when getting on and off the trailer and for trailer space, not so much for cutting. SOrry not trying to hijack your thread.

LawnMan19
10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Looks good, and great review man.

dutchacres
10-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I am so glad to see this review. I am demoing a 61" Pro Stance next week and have been trying to find reviews but I have not seen any on the new machines. The dealer I have the V Ride demo from also sells Gravely and I ask him the other day which he would prefer and he said they have had good luck with both and that he would put the Gravely up against anybodies machine. I am demoing the V Ride till the Gravely comes in and so far I have been pleased with what I am seeing. But they would be willing to sell me the two Gravely for $1100 less than the Scags so that is pretty attractive to me as long as they perform as well as I need. Have you or will you be climbing any curbs with it. I'm not talking the rounded one I'm talking squared off ones. I have several of these that are for islands and I need to be able to climb on them to mow them. My Deere machines wouldn't do it as they would bottom out between the rear wheels or the back of the deck. Cut quality looks very good considering it was wet. Some machines seem to like the grass a little wet. I know my Deere always cut just a little better when the grass was a little wet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
I am so glad to see this review. I am demoing a 61" Pro Stance next week and have been trying to find reviews but I have not seen any on the new machines. The dealer I have the V Ride demo from also sells Gravely and I ask him the other day which he would prefer and he said they have had good luck with both and that he would put the Gravely up against anybodies machine. I am demoing the V Ride till the Gravely comes in and so far I have been pleased with what I am seeing. But they would be willing to sell me the two Gravely for $1100 less than the Scags so that is pretty attractive to me as long as they perform as well as I need. Have you or will you be climbing any curbs with it. I'm not talking the rounded one I'm talking squared off ones. I have several of these that are for islands and I need to be able to climb on them to mow them. My Deere machines wouldn't do it as they would bottom out between the rear wheels or the back of the deck. Cut quality looks very good considering it was wet. Some machines seem to like the grass a little wet. I know my Deere always cut just a little better when the grass was a little wet.
Posted via Mobile Device

They actually have two different holes for the front caster axle to mount in on the fropnt forks. the guy who brought my demo out today said that the lower hole was for making it a little better for climbing over certain curbs. Of course, the deck would have to be leveled and the machine used in whichever hole you choose, meaning you can't level it while mounted in the hole it comes from the factory in, and then swao for curb climbing without any adjustments made.

If you look at my pics in the review I put up today, you can see the hole I'm talking about on the front forks.It's just below and back of the stoc mounting hole.

Hawkshot99
10-05-2012, 12:33 AM
It's my understanding Wright is making Gravely's standers? They do look very similier in design. If there was a Gravely dealer or dealers around here I would be tempted to demo one we're pretty much all JD,Scag,Exmark,Walker and Toro around here, although I did see a Wright just the other day. It looks to have a lot of really good features maybe too many, overcomplicated in a sense.
the gravely looks nothing like a wright stander. John Deere is having their standers made by right though.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
10-05-2012, 01:40 AM
yeah, Wright is making standers for JD as of 2013...gravely (owned by Ariens) DID make the stander for John Deere previously, and it sucked just as much as the old gravely pro stance...i'm 97.3546% sure that is all correct, now i'm gonna go double check...i'm also very tired and my sleeping pill is starting to kick in, so if i'm wrong, i'm prob not going to correct it...

Ridin' Green
10-05-2012, 03:27 AM
yeah, Wright is making standers for JD as of 2013...gravely (owned by Ariens) DID make the stander for John Deere previously, and it sucked just as much as the old gravely pro stance...i'm 97.3546% sure that is all correct, now i'm gonna go double check...i'm also very tired and my sleeping pill is starting to kick in, so if i'm wrong, i'm prob not going to correct it...

I believe you're incorrect here. Gravely has been making the JD WB's, not the standers. It is true that Wright and Deere are partnering up for the new standers though.

SouthSide Cutter
10-05-2012, 05:13 AM
No bigger opening than the deck has would bet it will clump in heavy grass.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I feel it did really well but will need more time on some thick grass. The X-Factor does awesome in wet grass. I will keep you updated as I cut more.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:47 AM
i'm sure they will make a 36 at some point, especially if these models do well, and i think they will, lot of potential...can u explain the front casters in more detail? our grandstands are solid rubber which is nice, never have to worry about air...

The front tires are a hybrid run flat. They take no air but are not solid. Feel to have what 8 psi would feel like. Really smooths out the ride.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Gravely designed and made this stander from scratch.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Do these new standers have the same deck as the old ones? I demoed one of the old ones and it cut like crap on our junk grasses but the z's cut good.
Posted via Mobile Device

From my understanding the deck has been enhanced. But I will let you know how it does when I cut some weeds.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
No bigger opening than the deck has would bet it will clump in heavy grass.

I will let you know. It really handled wet grass yesterday without one clump. I use to think a small opening size would cause clumping but my X-Factor deck does not clump at all in any grass dry, wet, thick or thin. The discharge pressure on both decks is huge and the decks stay clean.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I am also sceptical about walk behind mode with not weight over the rear wheels. Honestly I have not tried it yet but will report when I do.

NJDLLC
10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
You mentioned there was a new platform on it - was it comfortable? Worthwhile to take a look at?

GMLC
10-05-2012, 12:49 PM
You mentioned there was a new platform on it - was it comfortable? Worthwhile to take a look at?

Oh yes, on top of the suspension platform is a seperate rubber isolated platform. I feel no vibration at all! This was sugested by Pro-Stance owners as well as a bigger foot deck lift pedal and gas guage. So Gravely made in production changes and added the recommendations!!
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

I believe Gravely did make the old JD standers. Gravely bought out Great Dane if I'm correct.

mtmower
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
They actually have two different holes for the front caster axle to mount in on the fropnt forks. the guy who brought my demo out today said that the lower hole was for making it a little better for climbing over certain curbs. Of course, the deck would have to be leveled and the machine used in whichever hole you choose, meaning you can't level it while mounted in the hole it comes from the factory in, and then swao for curb climbing without any adjustments made.

If you look at my pics in the review I put up today, you can see the hole I'm talking about on the front forks.It's just below and back of the stoc mounting hole.

I'm not sure if the holes where originally for this purpose. My 460 even has double holes and when asked I was told it was due to using the same fork for several applications which makes sense to keep cost down.

mtmower
10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Another nice review GMLC. Keep 'em coming.

Ridin' Green
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if the holes where originally for this purpose. My 460 even has double holes and when asked I was told it was due to using the same fork for several applications which makes sense to keep cost down.

I dunno.
My salesman said that he and some of the others from their store just came back from some yearly meeting with Gravely regarding all the new upgrades etc, and that was exactly what Gravely said those holes were for.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok, I have 2 days and 17 lawns under my belt with the Pro-Stance and I'm ready to start my review on performance!! All though I wouldn't be surprised if some of my opinions change as I continue to use the machine.

The Good:

The Pro-Stance is very easy on turf and I'm able to do zero turns where I normally do three point turns with my walk-behind!! I love the front end as it is narrow and low so I can get under tree's, bushes, fences etc. The comfort is amazing as no vibration is felt and it does well over bumps. Hydros are smooth and responsive. This thing is a billy goat!! I can climb hills with no problems and the front end does not come off the ground. Hill side stability is awesome and I know this is where most standers fail miserably. This machine does not slide out when going across hills or ditches!! The Pro-Stance is fast at 9 mph and it will do it on smooth ground. Cut quality is awesome and Gravely has another great deck!! I'm shocked because I thought this deck was to to shallow and closed. But it has not clumped wet or dry and stripes great without a stripe kit. This deck has a ton of lift and discharge pressure. The clipping dispersal is great and the clippings disappear. Clippings are really small like Exmarks Ultra Cut. I will continue to update on cut quality as conditions change.

This machine is extremely productive on properties less than 1/2 acre and I'm saving a ton of time over my walk behind and ZTR. If all or most of your properties are less than 1/2 acre a stander is a must have. You will save a ton of time!!! On properties over 1/2 acre a ZTR is still much faster and productive IMO.

The Bad:

Down hill traction is really giving me a problem. I don't feel confident turning down a steep hill and have slid(straight down a hill is fine). Also traction backing up a hill or ditch could be better. Keep in mind these are steep hills and I may get better with the machine but I have no problem doing them with my ZTR or walk behind. Walk behind mode is only good on flat ground as there is very little traction when off the platform. The engine could use a bit more power but its no deal breaker.

Ridin' Green
10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
GMLC-
I'm fairly tall, and I have long enough arms to do this, but I found when backing up on a hill, that if I placed my feet so that the only part of my feet on the platform was from the balls of my feet forward, then leaned back to where my arms were about straightened out, I gained a lot more traction to back up. We shouldn't really need to do that to that extent, but it did help a lot. To be honest, I think that for the average rider from say, 150- 220 lbs, the front/rear weight split could favor the rear a bit more.

I really liked how easy it was to swing the front castors aaround without tearing the turf on the one I had. I think they had the rears a bit over-inflated though, because I had to be almost as careful as I do with my Z that weights twice as much. i didn't bother to try to check or change them since I wasn't going to have it that long, but they felt a little too hard to me, and they looked like it too.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
GMLC-
I'm fairly tall, and I have long enough arms to do this, but I found when backing up on a hill, that if I placed my feet so that the only part of my feet on the platform was from the balls of my feet forward, then leaned back to where my arms were about straightened out, I gained a lot more traction to back up. We shouldn't really need to do that to that extent, but it did help a lot. To be honest, I think that for the average rider from say, 150- 220 lbs, the front/rear weight split could favor the rear a bit more.

I really liked how easy it was to swing the front castors aaround without tearing the turf on the one I had. I think they had the rears a bit over-inflated though, because I had to be almost as careful as I do with my Z that weights twice as much. i didn't bother to try to check or change them since I wasn't going to have it that long, but they felt a little too hard to me, and they looked like it too.

Thanks I will try that. I'm also going to play with the tire pressures as I haven't checked them yet!!

kawasaki guy
10-05-2012, 09:37 PM
nice. I hope it continues to impress you

kawasaki guy
10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Ok, I have 2 days and 17 lawns under my belt with the Pro-Stance and I'm ready to start my review on performance!! All though I wouldn't be surprised if some of my opinions change as I continue to use the machine.

The Good:

The Pro-Stance is very easy on turf and I'm able to do zero turns where I normally do three point turns with my walk-behind!! I love the front end as it is narrow and low so I can get under tree's, bushes, fences etc. The comfort is amazing as no vibration is felt and it does well over bumps. Hydros are smooth and responsive. This thing is a billy goat!! I can climb hills with no problems and the front end does not come off the ground. Hill side stability is awesome and I know this is where most standers fail miserably. This machine does not slide out when going across hills or ditches!! The Pro-Stance is fast at 9 mph and it will do it on smooth ground. Cut quality is awesome and Gravely has another great deck!! I'm shocked because I thought this deck was to to shallow and closed. But it has not clumped wet or dry and stripes great without a stripe kit. This deck has a ton of lift and discharge pressure. The clipping dispersal is great and the clippings disappear. Clippings are really small like Exmarks Ultra Cut. I will continue to update on cut quality as conditions change.

This machine is extremely productive on properties less than 1/2 acre and I'm saving a ton of time over my walk behind and ZTR. If all or most of your properties are less than 1/2 acre a stander is a must have. You will save a ton of time!!! On properties over 1/2 acre a ZTR is still much faster and productive IMO.

The Bad:

Down hill traction is really giving me a problem. I don't feel confident turning down a steep hill and have slid(straight down a hill is fine). Also traction backing up a hill or ditch could be better. Keep in mind these are steep hills and I may get better with the machine but I have no problem doing them with my ZTR or walk behind. Walk behind mode is only good on flat ground as there is very little traction when off the platform. The engine could use a bit more power but its no deal breaker.

is the zrt and the stander yours? Or are they demos

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he owns the ztr

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-05-2012, 10:41 PM
OP this looks like a nice machine. Like the rapid height change with no pins.

Around here, I generally think of Gravely as a little sister of the poor to Exmark, Toro, JD, etc. The Z's anyway. But this stander looks to be right in there with the best of em.

GMLC
10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
is the zrt and the stander yours? Or are they demos

The ZTR is mine. Gravely is letting me use the stander for testing and this review.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
OP this looks like a nice machine. Like the rapid height change with no pins.

Around here, I generally think of Gravely as a little sister of the poor to Exmark, Toro, JD, etc. The Z's anyway. But this stander looks to be right in there with the best of em.

Gravely is now the mower to beat IMO. Both the 400 series(ZTR) and Pro-Stance(stander). I ran Scag for 15 years and Im in the process of replacing them with Gravely's because I have been so impressed, especially with customer service. The mowers speak for themselves. You should really demo one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Gravely definitely doesn't take a back seat to anyone else IMO, especially Exmark. I have been a Deere user for a VERY long time, and my shop is a virtual commercial for them. While I still very much like their machines, I do not care for the company itself, or their attitude. My next machine will most likely be a Gravely of some sort, whether it's the stander that I just demo'd or a 400 series Z. Gravely has got to be the best out there right now for customer service and concerns. I was extremely impressed by the Prostance I demo'd and would have liked to have been able to have for a longer period of time.

cpllawncare
10-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Gravely designed and made this stander from scratch.

Cool good to know. I've only talked to one other LCO using gravelies and he is impressed and he said he's used almost every brand out there at some point.

lawnsaspire
10-06-2012, 01:57 AM
This is a very good looking mower. It looks even tougher built than my V-Ride and I like how u can kick the back plate completely up. The deck is my only concern. The deck reminds me more of my Quick 36 than my Scag. I love my Quick 36 but it's awful in wet conditions as everyone knows. What's the running price on them?

kawasaki guy
10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I believe Gravely did make the old JD standers. Gravely bought out Great Dane if I'm correct.

yep, gravely makes the JD stander untill 2013. Ariens bought Great Dane acutely. (but gravely is owned by ariens) The fixed deck Pro-Stance is the exact same thing as the Great Dane Surfer

kawasaki guy
10-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Gravely is now the mower to beat IMO. Both the 400 series(ZTR) and Pro-Stance(stander). I ran Scag for 15 years and Im in the process of replacing them with Gravely's because I have been so impressed, especially with customer service. The mowers speak for themselves. You should really demo one.
Posted via Mobile Device

are you keeping any scags? do you have any 36 wbs for sale since you are getting rid of scag?

GMLC
10-06-2012, 08:01 AM
This is a very good looking mower. It looks even tougher built than my V-Ride and I like how u can kick the back plate completely up. The deck is my only concern. The deck reminds me more of my Quick 36 than my Scag. I love my Quick 36 but it's awful in wet conditions as everyone knows. What's the running price on them?

I will keep you up to date on the deck. My first cut quality pics were in the rain with no problems. On the website it says price starts at $8199.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
are you keeping any scags? do you have any 36 wbs for sale since you are getting rid of scag?

My last Scag is a 52" hydro walk behind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM

The saleman that brought mine out to me said they are selling them at around $7500 here. I know that price can vary across the country, but at least it's a real world selling price.

Jimslawncareservice
10-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Mods please delete this thread before I order a new one for spring. Thank you!!

No I'm not serious
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
10-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Just found out that you can also get the Pro-Stance with a Kohler 23 HP EFI and the 61" has a Kawi 23 HP.

Ridin' Green
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM
The salesman brought me out a bunch of the latest literature and some other stuff. I was just reading through it all when you posted just now GMLC. He did mention to me that I could have a kohler EFI if I wanted one (if I decide to buy), but I am not a Kohler fan anymore.

BTW (not that it makes much difference, but then again, since the rating change everyone seems bent on getting the most HP they can) the biggest Kawi is a 23.5 HP.

GMLC
10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
The salesman brought me out a bunch of the latest literature and some other stuff. I was just reading through it all when you posted just now GMLC. He did mention to me that I could have a kohler EFI if I wanted one (if I decide to buy), but I am not a Kohler fan anymore.

BTW (not that it makes much difference, but then again, since the rating change everyone seems bent on getting the most HP they can) the biggest Kawi is a 23.5 HP.

I bet 1-2 HP more would be perfect on the 52" and 61". The 48" I would say is just fine with the Kawi 22 HP.

Ridin' Green
10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I bet 1-2 HP more would be perfect on the 52" and 61". The 48" I would say is just fine with the Kawi 22 HP.

To be honest. I thought the 48" could use another couple ponies when I went over the leaf piles, but then again, the engine only had just over 3 hours on it. It didn't really bog down at all, but I could clearly hear the governor open a bit to keep the RPM's up, and the leaf piles weren't that deep that it should have had to open up at all IMO. I couldn't help but think at the time that if it had a mulch kit it would definitely need more power.

GMLC
10-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I need to correct myself. I stated that the Pro-Stance deck seemed shallow. I measured it today and it was only a 1/2" less deep than my X-Factor deck and the same as my Velocity deck. The discharge opening is 1/2" bigger than the X-Factor!! This seems to be the reason for the excelent cut quality so far. I was totally wrong on assuming this deck was to closed and apologize. Cant wait to cut with it next week to continue my review!
Posted via Mobile Device

TomsLawnMowING
10-07-2012, 05:31 PM
How do you do leave removal in New Hampshire area?

GMLC
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
How do you do leave removal in New Hampshire area?

Right now we can pick up some leaves with the mowers. But in a few weeks the leaves will be a foot deep and we will blow them into piles and use big leaf loaders.
Posted via Mobile Device

watsmi57
10-07-2012, 06:50 PM
subscribed! thanks for the review and the great pics. AGAIN! one of my competitors just bought one of these. now i don't have to talk to them to find out about it. ha!

seriously, i think when it comes time to reup on mowers. I am going to be looking at getting a 48 stander and a 460. I can't imagine there will be much I can't cut with a 36WB, 48 stander, and a 60 ztr on the trailer.

weaver
10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
I will keep you up to date on the deck. My first cut quality pics were in the rain with no problems. On the website it says price starts at $8199.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was looking through a tristate trader, and found some newly released 2012 ones with 22 Kaw 52 in deck for 7699 here in Indiana...

Brules
10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
That is a good looking machine.......looks well made and i like the foot step up rests on the wheel fenders. Nice touch.

GMLC
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
That is a good looking machine.......looks well made and i like the foot step up rests on the wheel fenders. Nice touch.

Very well thought out machine. Gravely's attention to detail is amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Very well thought out machine. Gravely's attention to detail is amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree- except for the oil filter location, as I mentioned in my review.

dutchacres
10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I am picking up my Gravely Pro Stance demo tomorrow afternoon and will be running it for a couple days! I am excited to see how it compares to the Scag V Ride I have as a demo now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Make sure you get some pics, and then post them.

GMLC
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I am picking up my Gravely Pro Stance demo tomorrow afternoon and will be running it for a couple days! I am excited to see how it compares to the Scag V Ride I have as a demo now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Please let us know how you like both of them!
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
So far the Scag is performing well. It cuts crisp and clean. It strips pretty well. It handles well but this is only on flat land I have no real hills I cut. I have been impressed with it so far. But Gravely has been impressing me with there customer service! If there machine is built and cuts close to Scag that is the mower I will go with more than likely!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nlawns
10-08-2012, 11:36 PM
do you know if gravely makes a striping kit for the new pro-stance?

Ridin' Green
10-08-2012, 11:53 PM
do you know if gravely makes a striping kit for the new pro-stance?

Not yet. It is still too new, but the salesman said they are working on things like a bagger and striper etc.

Maybe they'll have them out by next season's start.

Nlawns
10-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Not yet. It is still too new, but the salesman said they are working on things like a bagger and striper etc.

Maybe they'll have them out by next season's start.

thanks Ridin' Green!

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey ridin and GMLC is ere a difference btwn yalls 2 demos

Ridin' Green
10-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Hey ridin and GMLC is ere a difference btwn yalls 2 demos

Mine was a 48" model he has the 52" version. Mine was the original version that came out this year, he has the newer upgraded version with better platform, wider discharge opening etc.

Ridin' Green
10-09-2012, 12:07 AM
thanks Ridin' Green!

Since they were already upgrading this machine to the version GMLC has from the version I had, they held off designing any attachmnets at first. I expect a bunch of stuff will come along soon though.

lifetree
10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
GMLC -- I've been following your threads about Gravely and find them very interesting ... however, I'm just curious how you first got hooked up with Gravely ?? Do you know why it was that they selected you for the demo in Orlando early this year ??

Ridin' Green
10-09-2012, 12:26 AM
GMLC -- I've been following your threads about Gravely and find them very interesting ... however, I'm just curious how you first got hooked up with Gravely ?? Do you know why it was that they selected you for the demo in Orlando early this year ??

I can't speak for the exact reason they got a hold of GMLC, but IIRC, he had stated on this forum that he was looking to buy a new mower this year. I'm guessing they did with him like they did with me, and contacted him via PM to set it up.

All I did was say that I would like to demo a Prostance sometime to possibly add to my mowing battery, and the Gravely rep got in touch with me via PM to set that up. She is very helpful, and Gravely as a company has really impressed me.

lifetree
10-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I can't speak for the exact reason they got a hold of GMLC, but IIRC, he had stated on this forum that he was looking to buy a new mower this year. I'm guessing they did with him like they did with me, and contacted him via PM to set it up.

All I did was say that I would like to demo a Prostance sometime to possibly add to my mowing battery, and the Gravely rep got in touch with me via PM to set that up. She is very helpful, and Gravely as a company has really impressed me.

That's great ... they apparently monitor LS to see who wants to demo their machines ... I am impressd just by that fact alone !! Needless to say I am also impressed with Gravely, I own one of their machines already.

Ridin' Green
10-09-2012, 01:22 AM
That's great ... they apparently monitor LS to see who wants to demo their machines ... I am impressd just by that fact alone !! Needless to say I am also impressed with Gravely, I own one of their machines already.

I am quite sure they do, because when I first posted that I was finally getting the demo, the salesman said all they had was a 61" version, and I told him that I really needed to demo a 48" for the places I wanted to use it. he told me that they couldn't open a 48" to use as a demo this late in the season. Somehow there was a scheduling snafu so I didn't get the demo when I was supposed to, and I posted all that here. Next time he called me to set it up, he now had a 48" version with only a hair over 3 hours on it. Both the salesman, and Gravely have earned a future customer because of this.

GMLC
10-09-2012, 09:08 AM

At the end of last season I had been doing demos for almost 3 months. This spring I was just about to pull the trigger on another Scag when I first spotted the Gravely 400 series at an open house and demoed it in the parking lot as we didnt have grass yet. I posted some questions on LS asking about cut quality. Gravely contacted me by phone with the invite to Orlando to mow. The reviews were my idea and have been popular!!
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Cut quality continues to impress me. I'm also getting much better with the controls. I will be mowing the rest of today in the rain....

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
So how you like it for using it all day? How does your body feel?

GMLC
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
So how you like it for using it all day? How does your body feel?

Im really enjoying it. Easy on the hands and body. I like moving around on the platform which really enhances the handling of the machine. Im getting better!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah the pictures are showing that lol

But that's good to hear that you feel comfortable after using all day

GMLC
10-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah the pictures are showing that lol

But that's good to hear that you feel comfortable after using all day

What size are most of your properties?
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
What size are most of your properties?
Posted via Mobile Device

1/4 acre through 1.5 acres

GMLC
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
1/4 acre through 1.5 acres

Im saving some serious time on lots up to 1/2 acre. I took 15 minutes off a property today vs a ztr and walk behind combo. Im finding lots over 1/2 acre of grass the ztr is still faster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Im saving some serious time on lots up to 1/2 acre. I took 15 minutes off a property today vs a ztr and walk behind combo. Im finding lots over 1/2 acre of grass the ztr is still faster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well anything is better than what I have right now lol

GMLC
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Well anything is better than what I have right now lol

Even the Pro-Stance at 9 mph is no joke on big properties!! Im just spoiled with my 13 mph 452!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Even the Pro-Stance at 9 mph is no joke on big properties!! Im just spoiled with my 13 mph 452!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah that 13mph is something else

GMLC
10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I have been invited to spend some time with Gravely execs/reps at one of their Kaizen(business improvement) Events here in NH today. They will be meeting with some local landscapers and helping one of their dealers. I witnessed one of these events when they flew me to Orlando and it really was amazing. They helped a large landscape company streamline operations and routines to save money and time.

I'll try to get some pics.

GMLC
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Spent the afternoon with some great Gravely/Ariens folks. We talked a lot about the their company, products and customer service. They also wanted to know about my business, customers, likes/dislikes and even what other brands I have on my trailer. Several other landscape companies also had the chance to chat with them as well as dealers. Gravely will use all of this info to provide even better service and products!!

Here is a pic of me with Steve(VP Marketing) and John(VP of sales). Both great guys!!

Ridin' Green
10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Which one is which? I know which one you are (head of advertising & public relations. You're gonna have to give up mowing GMLC:laugh:).

GMLC
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Which one is which? I know which one you are (head of advertising & public relations. You're gonna have to give up mowing GMLC:laugh:).

John is shaking my hand and Steve is the other fine gentleman. And the owner of Great Meadow Marketing is in the middle!!:laugh::laugh:

Ridin' Green
10-10-2012, 06:31 PM
... and an excellent job you're doing too!:laugh:

StanWilhite
10-10-2012, 07:04 PM
... and an excellent job you're doing too!:laugh:

With all of the good publicity you've provided for Gravely I hope they compensated you well! A lot of people have been influenced by your posts on LS.

GMLC
10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
With all of the good publicity you've provided for Gravely I hope they compensated you well! A lot of people have been influenced by your posts on LS.

Just with lunch!!! You know what they say, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!!
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Just with lunch!!! You know what they say, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Do they read LS? I'd ask for a little more than lunch! I'll bet you've been influential in selling several mowers, and probably more to come.

Hell, you've got me about ready to buy one myself and I'm not even in the market for a mower!

GMLC
10-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I now have mowed enough lawns in different conditions to say this deck has great wet and dry cut quality on cool season grasses. I'm very picky and cant seem to find any faults. No clumps, no double cutting and no stragglers. My final opinion on the cut quality of the new Pro-Stance is excellent!!

These pictures are from today and it had been raining for the last few days.

BigGreen1
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Great Meadow/GMLC,

Is there a newer style/design deck? It was implied earlier that they improved the deck. When did this happen? I am considering buying a machine at my dealer and wondered when the deck changed. How can you tell the newer vs. old design?

Thanks,
Tim

Ridin' Green
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
GMLC-
How much larger is the chute opening on that one than on the demo I had if you know? That lawn looks great.

Ridin' Green
10-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Great Meadow/GMLC,

Is there a newer style/design deck? It was implied earlier that they improved the deck. When did this happen? I am considering buying a machine at my dealer and wondered when the deck changed. How can you tell the newer vs. old design?

Thanks,
Tim

If you see them side by side you can tell the difference in chute openings, and the new version has a rubber iso mount stand platform. It also has a fuel gauge whereas the version I demo'd last week didn't. I'm just not sure how much difference there is bewteen the two versions in the size of their chute openings since I didn't get to see them side by side.

GMLC
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
GMLC-
How much larger is the chute opening on that one than on the demo I had if you know? That lawn looks great.

Sorry I dont know.

GMLC
10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Great Meadow/GMLC,

Thanks,
Tim

The deck was improved for the new Pro-Stance and should be on all machines already.

Ridin' is correct. The updated version will have the rubber isolated platform, fuel gauge and bigger deck lift pedal. I'm pretty sure if you bought one this is what you would get now.

But I will be 100% honest, I don't know if you can still buy the non-updated version if dealers have them???

Gravely please chime in if you read this...

Ridin' Green
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
The deck was improved for the new Pro-Stance and should be on all machines already.

Ridin' is correct. The updated version will have the rubber isolated platform, fuel gauge and bigger deck lift pedal. I'm pretty sure if you bought one this is what you would get now.

But I will be 100% honest, I don't know if you can still buy the non-updated version if dealers have them???

Gravely please chime in if you read this...

The older version was all my dealer had. He said that the new ones were coming, but not there yet. It didn't sound like he would even have them this fall since it's so late in the year. The older version one I used was fresh from the crate, and IIRC, he still has some of those left.

GMLC
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM
The older version was all my dealer had. He said that the new ones were coming, but not there yet. It didn't sound like he would even have them this fall since it's so late in the year. The older version one I used was fresh from the crate, and IIRC, he still has some of those left.

Thanks, looks like there is still some left at dealers then.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGreen1
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I should have stated that I'm looking at a 61" Pro-Walk walkbehind. Any clue if these have the updated decks?

Thanks,
Tim

GMLC
10-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I should have stated that I'm looking at a 61" Pro-Walk walkbehind. Any clue if these have the updated decks?

Thanks,
Tim

Im also very interested in the Pro-Walk. I don't know much about them and probably will not get a chance to demo one this year. I do know the deck is similar but not the same as the Pro-Stance. If you try one PLEASE let me know what you think. The z controls look really nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
IMOP the all new standers have made WB's obsolete

GMLC
10-13-2012, 08:15 AM

I agree for the most part, but there are still hills a stand on will not do here in NH. I can mow some hills with a walk behind that I can hardly walk on!
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
10-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I agree for the most part, but there are still hills a stand on will not do here in NH. I can mow some hills with a walk behind that I can hardly walk on!
Posted via Mobile Device

I've learned not to take on accounts that I can't put my standers on, or if they are small enough I just throw the 21" on them.

BigGreen1
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Where I mow my steepest is a 25 degree incline. Most people who want a 60" mower do not want to walk. I have pictures to show the 25 degree incline. Any steeper, and my Exmark would not go up.

The offered price on a 61" hydro was hard to pass up.

Thanks,
Tim

NJDLLC
10-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Any of you guys used a slope mower before? I saw one a while back and was pretty impressed. No more walking on the edge of a hill with a little 21".

dutchacres
10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I just returned the Pro Stance demo I have been using the last week. I was very impressed with the machine for the most part. I had the older version before the update. I thought the cut quality was good and the ride was nice and soft. It handled the little hills I had with ease. You can see pics and my review under the post called "Gravely"

GMLC
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I am returning my demo tomorrow morning. Man Im going to miss this mower after 2 weeks! I will write my final opinion and thoughts on the new Pro-Stance this week sometime.
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
10-15-2012, 10:40 PM

I haven't tried the new Gravely unit with the flip up stand, however, I have tried the Toro GrandStand / Exmark Vantage machines and found that I don't care for them because when you flip the stand on plate to the "up" position and use it as a WB ... you have to stay so close to the machine that the shins of your legs hit the rear of the machine ... needless to say, it hurts !!

That is the reason I didn't buy one and I think that is the reason that WB's will never be "obsolete" ... they're just to useful.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey GMLC, Ridin Green and Olmod

Did you guys get a chance to use the stander as a walk behind?

GMLC
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Only good on flat ground as a walk behind. Just not enough traction without weight on the rear wheels if mowing hills.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Only good on flat ground. Just not enough traction without weight on the rear wheels if mowing hills.

Ok cool. I don't have any hills here s that's good to know.Everything is slowing down so I think imma wait till next year and set up a demo

Ridin' Green
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM

No, I didn't at all. Sorry

Ridin' Green
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I haven't tried the new Gravely unit with the flip up stand, however, I have tried the Toro GrandStand / Exmark Vantage machines and found that I don't care for them because when you flip the stand on plate to the "up" position and use it as a WB ... you have to stay so close to the machine that the shins of your legs hit the rear of the machine ... needless to say, it hurts !!

That is the reason I didn't buy one and I think that is the reason that WB's will never be "obsolete" ... they're just to useful.

The salesman who brought out my demo showed me the walk behind feature, and I could see when i walked about 5 or 10 feet behind it where it would beat your shins to death in a hurry.

However, I want to mention that one of the upgrades on the newest version is that they made some changes to the rear of the machine when the platform is flipped up so that you don't bash your shins to make using the WB function much better.

McDonald's LC
10-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey GMLC are the spindle in the 400 series the same as the pro-stance stander. Also will the blades swap from your 452 to the 52 pro-stance.

GMLC
10-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey GMLC are the spindle in the 400 series the same as the pro-stance stander. Also will the blades swap from your 452 to the 52 pro-stance.

Different spindles and blades. The spindles are grease-able on the Pro-Stance and the blades are flat and not waved like my 452 blades.

McDonald's LC
10-16-2012, 12:02 AM
thanks, Iam demo a 52 pro stance stander right now with a mulch kit and non updated machine. Its the best driving stander I have drove. The cut is great. But there is alot of blow out in the front with the standard blades. Maybe gravely needs a wave blade or something.

GMLC
10-16-2012, 12:06 AM
thanks, Iam demo a 52 pro stance stander right now with a mulch kit and non updated machine. Its the best driving stander I have drove. The cut is great. But there is alot of blow out in the front with the standard blades. Maybe gravely needs a wave blade or something.

May just be the mulch kit. All that air has to go somewhere with the chute blocked...

Ridin' Green
10-16-2012, 12:17 AM
May just be the mulch kit. All that air has to go somewhere with the chute blocked...

Thsi is true, especially with a standard type blade. The wavy mulchers make a huge difference in that regard. With the wavy mulchers under my MOD and the deck closed off, it's no problem, but with regular blades :eek:

GMLC
10-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Thsi is true, especially with a standard type blade. The wavy mulchers make a huge difference in that regard. With the wavy mulchers under my MOD and the deck closed off, it's no problem, but with regular blades :eek:

I wonder if Gravely has mulching blades that go with the mulch kit? I would think they do...
Posted via Mobile Device

McDonald's LC
10-16-2012, 12:30 AM
On the 48 you demoed how much over hang was on the trim side of the deck?
just wondering. Look to replace 2 mows before tax season end.

GMLC
10-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Ridin' can answer this. My demo is also a 52.
Posted via Mobile Device

McDonald's LC
10-16-2012, 12:37 AM
My rep said the kit didn't come with blades.

Ridin' Green
10-16-2012, 12:45 AM

I didn't measure it, but probably should have. maybe you can get an idea in the pics in my thread. I know I didn't have any issues with not being able to trim in fairly closely, but then again, I only had it for the one property that day.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389108

Ridin' Green
10-16-2012, 12:48 AM
My rep said the kit didn't come with blades.

IIRC correctly, that's what the sales rep said to me when I asked about the mulch kit. I think he said that there were aftermarket wavy mulchers that would work though, maybe he said Oregon and/or Stens since they (Stens)are owned by the same company that Gravely is?

dutchacres
10-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I did not use it as a walkbehind at all. I did fold the platform up and loaded onto trailer and noticed that it would be weird because the controls would be really high.

GMLC
10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Well yesterday morning I returned the new Pro-Stance after a little over two weeks of testing. I have to admit I already miss having her on my trailer. I also feel that after two weeks I did get really good on the machine but would bet after a month of use you could really tap into the machines true potential. These are my final thoughts and opinion on the machine.

Pro's:

Very gentle on turf: Which is huge on nicely manicured lawns.

Comfort: From the rubber isolated suspension platform to the padding there was no vibration and I could mow all day without any problems. Also the amount of room to move around on the platform and even the fenders having the foot platforms is huge when using weight to your advantage on a stander.

Cut Quality: My pictures speak for themselves. In wet and dry conditions I had no clumps, stragglers and never double cut.

Fit and finish/build quality: Top notch and obvious when looking at the machine in person.

Hillside stability: Amazing even on steep hills. Never had the front end come up and no sliding when mowing across hills.

Productivity: This machine is extremely productive and 9 mph feels very fast on a stander. I found the sweet spot at 1/2 acre and below. Still flys on bigger properties but a ZTR I feel is more productive after the 1/2 acre mark.

Walkbehind mode: All though I felt it wasn't good on hills in walkbehind mode I did use it on flat tight areas a lot and loading/unloading in my enclosed trailer. You can easily mow without hitting your shins on the updated model. I cant imagine having a stander without this option so its a positive in my opinion.

Foot deck lift: This is huge and became second nature when floating the deck. Again I cant imagine a stander without it. Hand lift worked fine but I didn't like taking my hands off the controls especially at high speeds.

Engine options: At first I thought it could use a tad more power but found out about all the other engine options. The Kawi 22 hp is fine and only bogged in really thick leaves.

Dial adjust deck height: Another great feature which is fool proof.

Cons:

Turning while going down steep hills: Only on steep hills while trying to turn tight I would lock up one wheel causing some sliding. I really never got the hang of it but I did get better. Not a deal breaker at all but I want to be as honest as possible on my reviews.

Traction backing up out of a ditch or up hill: I have almost totally eliminated this problem by shifting my weight all the way back and locking out my arms like Ridin' suggested. Again not a deal breaker but wanted to note it in my review.

Final Opinion

Gravely has hit another homerun. This is the stander that will give Wright a run for their money!! It is obvious Gravely is serious about the stander market and feels its part of the future of mowing.

I feel standers are only going to get more popular as the sweet spot in productivity is what the majority of the industry mows. Its not quite a walkbehind replacement unless you dont mow really steep hills but could be a ZTR replacement for a lot of company's. Plus the price to productivity point really makes sense as its cheaper than a ZTR and not much more than high end walkbehinds.

Ridin' Green
10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the final thoughts GMLC.

I found them to be what I experienced, though my demo was far too short. I too, can really see these becoming more popular in the future, and would certainly like to add one some time in the future myself. Gravely has really impressed me. Enough so that my next mower will probably be one of one type or another (ZTR or stander).

lawnsaspire
10-17-2012, 11:12 PM
How much does the 48 pro-stance weigh? My V Ride is a little over 800 I believe. How does it do on fuel?

Ridin' Green
10-18-2012, 12:43 AM
The Prostance 48" w/22 Kawi weighs 970 lbs. The 52" w/22 Kawi goes 992 lbs, the 52" with the 23 Kohler EFI goes 1002 lbs, and the 61" w 23.5 Kawi goes 1023 lbs. The Kohler is still over rated on HP because they are still using the old sytem to measure it.:rolleyes:

jimjoy12
10-18-2012, 01:30 AM
great review

CraigPLC
10-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Question of the day... Can it handle a 300-lb rider? Teasing...
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
How much does the 48 pro-stance weigh? My V Ride is a little over 800 I believe. How does it do on fuel?

With the 52" I got .63 GPH with the 22hp Kawi. I forgot to add this to the Pro's list, sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

NJDLLC
10-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Anyone have any idea on the fuel efficiency of that Kohler? Gas is getting expensive around here (~$4.00/gallon) and it may interesting to look at if the savings are what they say they are...

GMLC
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Anyone have any idea on the fuel efficiency of that Kohler? Gas is getting expensive around here (~$4.00/gallon) and it may interesting to look at if the savings are what they say they are...

I have heard up to 30% savings but I have no personal experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM

I've heard the 30% rate that GMLC posted many times too. However, I am wondering if that is actual or not as well, because I know the manu's like to use that number for comparison, so maybe that's where it got its start with no foundation in reality.

One thing to remember is that the Kohler is over rated on HP still, meaning it is still being rated by the old system and is not true HP like the Kawi is. It will be actually closer to 20.5- 21.5 HP when rated using the newer and accurate system. That means that it may struggle a little harder to keep up in thick and/or lush conditions, which will negate any advantage it should have in fuel savings.

watsmi57
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks again GMLC for another great review. I got to see the new stander this week but unfortunately didn't get to drive it. There was an ag expo near where I live and I got to see the new model up close. It is impressive. The design is heads and tails above the old stander. I definitely want to add one to my lineup in the future. The rep told me just to let him know when i was ready to demo. I really like the flip up platform and deck lift pedal too. the only thing that bothers me is lack of traction in walk behind mode but I suspect with the way it's setup there are a lot of hills you can ride and hold by leaning. much more than a sit down ztr i would think.

lifetree
10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
GMLC -- Very good thread and nice review for the new Pro-Stance !!

GMLC
02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Anyone else have a chance to try the new Pro-Stance lately?

Blades Lawn Maintenance
02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Not yet but I do plan on trying it about a month or so

GMLC
02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Not yet but I do plan on trying it about a month or so

Nice! I hope to try the Pro-Steer walk behind this spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm sure they will be in contact with you lol

groundskeeperllc
02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Question of the day... Can it handle a 300-lb rider? Teasing...
Posted via Mobile Device

I demoed one for a day back in November and it handled my 400lbs very well, I was pretty impressed with the machine but being 6'5' my back was hurting after use, the controls were to low for someone my size, i had to slightly bend forward to use controls comfortably.

GMLC
02-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I just found this on Gravely's website!!!

$350 off the purchase of a new Pro-Stance!! And it can be combined with the 20% off fleet discount!!!

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/more/Pages/pro-stance-rebate.aspx

GMLC
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Bump, lots of stander questions on LS lately.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
So what's your price now? And location?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-02-2013, 05:00 PM
So what's your price now? And location?
Posted via Mobile Device

I just enjoy reviewing equipment! Sorry I dont sell them. Didnt mean to mislead anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I just enjoy reviewing equipment! Sorry I dont sell them. Didnt mean to mislead anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hit the wrong thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Wow, great review. Impressive machine!

Being solo I'm thinking I wouldn't qualify for any type of a fleet discount, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

Curious if Gravely has a seasonal discount schedule similar to Wright's...making a December purchase the way to optimize any factory discounting.

GMLC
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Being solo I'm thinking I wouldn't qualify for any type of a fleet discount, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

Curious if Gravely has a seasonal discount schedule similar to Wright's...making a December purchase the way to optimize any factory discounting.

Thanks! When I bought my Gravely 452 I had to spend over $12,000 to qualify for fleet pricing so I bought a bagging system with it. Im not aware of any seasonal discounts by Gravely but Im not 100% sure.

Ridin' Green
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Check with your dealer. My local Gravely dealer has fleet pricing for anyone in the business the day of their openhouse. No need to buy anything extra to qualify either. Just buy a machine and get the discount that day only.

jbroderman
03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
I went to a dealer last week and you had to spend 10,000 to get the deals. but they had a good deal on just one too. cant decide if i am going to get one or not. 6800 vs 7400 for one. listed at 8600 or something like that. when you have to spend more money that never felt like saving to me, but im cheap.

Optimum Lawn
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Well I just bought a 61FL 994114 Machine :dancing:

Having Gravely units before and given what everyone has had to say here, there was no question. Toro and Deere dealers are way way closer but blah.
Kudo's also to Gravely's customer service and listening...good to see a company on the ball.
Thanks GMLC also for your review opinions and thoughts

Looking forward to what this Machine can do

:canadaflag:

GMLC
03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Well I just bought a 61FL 994114 Machine :dancing:

Having Gravely units before and given what everyone has had to say here, there was no question. Toro and Deere dealers are way way closer but blah.
Kudo's also to Gravely's customer service and listening...good to see a company on the ball.
Thanks GMLC also for your review opinions and thoughts

Looking forward to what this Machine can do

Congrats!!

Let us know what you think when you start using it. It really is an awesome machine!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
03-14-2013, 12:07 AM
And be sure to take lots of pictures

Optimum Lawn
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
You bet I will add my 2 cents (come May when the grass gets going here)and pics.....will also have some slopes to test this puppy on.

And Thanks to the Gravely Rep on here (Appreciate the PM)....again really nice to see a company wanting to go the extra mile in customer service as it does play a role in my decision to continue using Gravely products:clapping:

GMLC
03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
You bet I will add my 2 cents (come May when the grass gets going here)and pics.....will also have some slopes to test this puppy on.

And Thanks to the Gravely Rep on here (Appreciate the PM)....again really nice to see a company wanting to go the extra mile in customer service as it does play a role in my decision to continue using Gravely products:clapping:

Gravely's customer service is second to none!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I just ordered two Pro Stance yesterday. I went with one 52" with a mulching kit and one 61" with there OCDC. I went back and forth one if I should go Kawasaki or Kohler EFI but with the fuel savings and only $500 difference I had to go EFI. It was a tough decision between Gravely or Scag but Gravely went the extra mile to get me a demo last fall and followed up as well so I had to go with them. I think the Pro Stance is over built which is never a bad thing. I will post some pics when the new babies arrive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Very nice man congrats

GMLC
03-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I just ordered two Pro Stance yesterday. I went with one 52" with a mulching kit and one 61" with there OCDC. I went back and forth one if I should go Kawasaki or Kohler EFI but with the fuel savings and only $500 difference I had to go EFI. It was a tough decision between Gravely or Scag but Gravely went the extra mile to get me a demo last fall and followed up as well so I had to go with them. I think the Pro Stance is over built which is never a bad thing. I will post some pics when the new babies arrive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Congrats!! Gravely really built this mower well. Its stronger than it has to be!! Cant wait for some pics!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
03-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Congrats!! Gravely really built this mower well. Its stronger than it has to be!! Cant wait for some pics!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, they're built almost as well as "The Beast" or Worldlawn:laugh::laugh:

GMLC
03-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Yep, they're built almost as well as "The Beast" or Worldlawn:laugh::laugh:

Or Badboy:)
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Ridin'

Im working on a review of the X-Factor II deck!!! Hoping for this spring!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Is this on the newest version or the one you have?

Ridin' Green
03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Or Badboy:)
Posted via Mobile Device

You're just beggin' to be deleted with this one. :laugh:

GMLC
03-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Is this on the newest version or the one you have?

The newest version that just came out. "Updated X-Factor" with larger discharge and adjustable front skirt on the 400 series.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Duh, I didn't see the II next the X factor.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

So, did they give you another demo, and is it the stander or the ZTR?
I'm looking forwards to the reports (and pics).

If I hadn't just bought a new machine last year, I'd have bought a new 460 2 days ago at my local dealer. I could have got fleet pricing just for coming to the open house. No other purchse was necessary he told me.

GMLC
03-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Duh, I didn't see the II next the X factor.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

So, did they give you another demo, and is it the stander or the ZTR?
I'm looking forwards to the reports (and pics).

If I hadn't just bought a new machine last year, I'd have bought a new 460 2 days ago at my local dealer. I could have got fleet pricing just for coming to the open house. No other purchse was necessary he told me.

Gravely just contacted me today about it. Ill let you know the details when I can. As usuall its above and beyond what I ever expected!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Haha I was wondering if they were going to get in contact with you

Ridin' Green
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Gravely just contacted me today about it. Ill let you know the details when I can. As usuall its above and beyond what I ever expected!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet.

If Gravely would offer a choice of colors, they'd be the first to do so, and have a real selling point.

Hey Gravely, I'll take one in JD green/yellow.;)

Boy, wouldn't that torque Deere's onions?:drinkup:

GMLC
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
For anyone who has tried the new Pro-Stance, Gravely is looking for our feedback. Please take a minute to complete the survey on the Gravely forum! It will help them understand what we pro's like and dislike. Here is a link....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4700885#post4700885
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Okay its official!! Gravely has contacted me to review the new X-Factor II deck!! They have gone above and beyond yet again as the new deck will be sent to my dealer to be installed on my 452!!! Im very excited and cant wait until the snow melts...
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
I got to pick up my two new Pro Stance today. One 52" and one 61". I am very excited to see how these things do here in a few weeks when it finally warms up. I am equipping the 52" with a mulch kit and the 61" I am equipping with Gravelys OCDC which is very very nice. I got both with the Kohler EFI engines as well. I will take some good pics of everything tomorrow so you guys can see.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I got to pick up my two new Pro Stance today. One 52" and one 61". I am very excited to see how these things do here in a few weeks when it finally warms up. I am equipping the 52" with a mulch kit and the 61" I am equipping with Gravelys OCDC which is very very nice. I got both with the Kohler EFI engines as well. I will take some good pics of everything tomorrow so you guys can see.
Posted via Mobile Device

You were a deere guy, right? I am or was. I went with 2 red standers. I still and always will have deere in my line up.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I was a Deere guy and still love the green and yellow. I looked at going with them for these standers but they were $3000 higher and I couldn't justify that. Plus Gravely has been impressive from a customer service stand point and also a sales stand point.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
03-27-2013, 11:34 PM
I was a Deere guy and still love the green and yellow. I looked at going with them for these standers but they were $3000 higher and I couldn't justify that. Plus Gravely has been impressive from a customer service stand point and also a sales stand point.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed. I don't think any company comes close to going the extra mile for their customers (or even potential customers) like Gravely does. They have earned my future business.

BROWNS LAWN CARE
03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
thanks for the review and info GMLC and you too Ridin (i read your thread too)

:waving:

TomsLawnMowING
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
What all those washers for between blade and spindle?

GMLC
04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
What all those washers for between blade and spindle?

Thats how it comes from the factory. I have owned many mowers with spacers above the blades. My guess would be that the same spindles are used on many different models and the spacers are used to provide the correct fit in the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Any of you guys on the fence about Gravely need to demo one of these Pro Stance. I put 5 hours on both of mine today and the cut was flawless! I started out cutting when it was soaking wet and it discharged great and then as the day went on it just kept cutting nicer and nicer! These are awesome machines and it is the only mower I have ever used that I felt lived up to the expectations and I have ran a lot of equipment over the years. Thanks Gravely for building a awesome machine!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Gravely pro stance is a great machine. I tested many standers out over the past week and the 48" prostance was one of them. Great company and dealer. Very well built and handled flawlessly. I would recommend this mower to anyone. With that being said there were flaws in every stander I tested out. I spent countless hours researching and looking at different models. At a later date I may get into specifics.
The 2 minor imperfections in the pro stance were the weight and speed of the machine. Unfortunately speed and weight were important in my application so I could not pull the trigger even after the dealer gave me a really good price on it.

All of the standers had there flaws and you would have to combine all of them to make a perfect stander. At the end of the day you have to pick the one you are comfortable with. I have used a stander for countless hours over the past few seasons so even the smallest imperfection stood out.

I almost bought the gravely as it was a very stout machine and the dealer was close by. But I ended up going in another direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Gravely pro stance is a great machine. I tested many standers out over the past week and the 48" prostance was one of them. Great company and dealer. Very well built and handled flawlessly. I would recommend this mower to anyone. With that being said there were flaws in every stander I tested out. I spent countless hours researching and looking at different models. At a later date I may get into specifics.
The 2 minor imperfections in the pro stance were the weight and speed of the machine. Unfortunately speed and weight were important in my application so I could not pull the trigger even after the dealer gave me a really good price on it.

All of the standers had there flaws and you would have to combine all of them to make a perfect stander. At the end of the day you have to pick the one you are comfortable with. I have used a stander for countless hours over the past few seasons so even the smallest imperfection stood out.

I almost bought the gravely as it was a very stout machine and the dealer was close by. But I ended up going in another direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

So, what did you end up with?

lawnkingforever
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
So, what did you end up with?

I reluctantly went with a brand new grandstand. After having issues with my 09 gs I swore off buying another. The pricing was very aggressive to say the least and after talking to some people from the dealer they assured me the newer models were problem free. This search was more about looking for negatives in the units than the positives. Not a very exciting search glad it is over and I can start mowing this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

LHS Lawns
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I reluctantly went with a brand new grandstand. After having issues with my 09 gs I swore off buying another. The pricing was very aggressive to say the least and after talking to some people from the dealer they assured me the newer models were problem free. This search was more about looking for negatives in the units than the positives. Not a very exciting search glad it is over and I can start mowing this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

What size did you get and why? I'm picking up a demo GS 52" this afternoon to try out on some smaller yards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my Kubota 60" ztr just adding to the mix. I am thinking about replacing a Gravely 50" WB Pro 150 14hp I own. It's mainly for lighter duty work. Not strong enough for a sulky.

I'm finding more clients are concerned about big equipment in small yards.

GMLC
04-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

The Pro-Stance is heavy due to its build quality, yet its extremely easy on turf. Also the Pro-Stance has a top speed of 9 mph vs the 8 mph Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
The Pro-Stance is heavy due to its build quality, yet its extremely easy on turf. Also the Pro-Stance has a top speed of 9 mph vs the 8 mph Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have to agree to disagree on the speed. It may say 9mph in the specs. but there is no way the unit I tested out went that fast. But I 100 percent agree with you about the quality. Probably the best built machine I looked at it. Weight was a major consideration as well as speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
That's how I felt on the Exmark Vantage. I felt it was very slow and that there was no way it ran 8mph. I agree though that even with the Pro Stance weighing as much as they do they are very very easy on the turf. Heck I was mowing in the rain today and even then it didn't even tear up anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-16-2013, 09:34 PM
That's how I felt on the Exmark Vantage. I felt it was very slow and that there was no way it ran 8mph. I agree though that even with the Pro Stance weighing as much as they do they are very very easy on the turf. Heck I was mowing in the rain today and even then it didn't even tear up anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree about the vantage. The one I rode around had alot of slop in the controls. You had to push the control levers quite a bit just to get the unit to move. Maybe because it was last years model. I dont think it went 8 mph either.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-16-2013, 09:47 PM
What size did you get and why? I'm picking up a demo GS 52" this afternoon to try out on some smaller yards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my Kubota 60" ztr just adding to the mix. I am thinking about replacing a Gravely 50" WB Pro 150 14hp I own. It's mainly for lighter duty work. Not strong enough for a sulky.

I'm finding more clients are concerned about big equipment in small yards.

48" deck 22 hp.
A few reasons in no particular order.

1. Very quick and agile.
2. Tracking was true.
3. Great deal, pricewise.
4. Toro's ocdc allows an accelerator bagger to be placed on the mower pretty easily so you can go from bagging to side discharging to blocking off the chute in no time.

Take time to test different ones out. The all have pros and cons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Do any stand-ons go as fast as they say they go?

Ridin' Green
04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Have to agree to disagree on the speed. It may say 9mph in the specs. but there is no way the unit I tested out went that fast. But I 100 percent agree with you about the quality. Probably the best built machine I looked at it. Weight was a major consideration as well as speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe you knew this, maybe not, but you can adjust the front bar on the Pro Stance so that you limit the top speed. If the system wasn't set to it's maximum setting, you definitely would not go 9MPH. Just a thought.

GMLC
04-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Maybe you knew this, maybe not, but you can adjust the front bar on the Pro Stance so that you limit the top speed. If the system wasn't set to it's maximum setting, you definitely would not go 9MPH. Just a thought.

Very good thought and may have very well been the case. I know when I did this review 9 mph felt very fast on the Pro-Stance, not like on a low riding ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Yes. The guy in the shop adjusted the bar.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Do any stand-ons go as fast as they say they go?

I drove around a 2012 Deere quick track. It seemed to be pretty fast. The maintenance also seemed easier to perform on this machine. This was a steal of deal, I was going to buy it and resell it after the season. Unfortunately the weight of the machine was a bit much. I also disliked the fact the mower width was a whopping 53 1\2 " for a 48" deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

LHS Lawns
04-17-2013, 09:11 AM
48" deck 22 hp.
A few reasons in no particular order.

1. Very quick and agile.
2. Tracking was true.
3. Great deal, pricewise.
4. Toro's ocdc allows an accelerator bagger to be placed on the mower pretty easily so you can go from bagging to side discharging to blocking off the chute in no time.

Take time to test different ones out. The all have pros and cons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stand-ons haven't caught on around here so there aren't any to try. My Kubota dealer carries Toro and he got a 2012 GS 52" last Fall to try out. No one has been interested. A few tried it but didn't like it.

I tried it yesterday and I liked it. Gonna try it today and tomorrow. Its more agile than the Kubota 60" which is a plus in smaller yards. Cut was good, has the power.

Its got a 24 hp Kawasaki engine with 15 hrs. Sticker price of $8200.00 I'm sure the price scared most people away.

The dealer is going to have to come down pretty good on the price for it to work for me.

What's a reasonable price for a 2012 Demo?

Optimum Lawn
04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
So I picked up my 61" Prostance the other day and must say it is a very stout machine.
Initial thoughts
- not a huge fan of the operator presence but a necessary evil
-noticed the huge skid plates to protect the transaxles..well thought out as the last thing needed is to crack one of them cases due to??
-One thing I would like to see is a couple of zerks on the pins for the control arms off the front of the frame to the front of the deck....over time have had them seize up on a Z so that will be something I will add
-Love the Deck adjustment wheel....does not get any easier to set your deck height.
-Not sure if a pivoting front axle would be better or not

Is going to take a bit to get used to the controls but they are super smooth and very responsive.
Leaves a very nice smooth cut....as for stripping will reserve judgement for now till the grass gets fully set in.

Next up some side hilling

GMLC
04-27-2013, 01:16 PM
So I picked up my 61" Prostance the other day and must say it is a very stout machine.
Initial thoughts
- not a huge fan of the operator presence but a necessary evil
-noticed the huge skid plates to protect the transaxles..well thought out as the last thing needed is to crack one of them cases due to??
-One thing I would like to see is a couple of zerks on the pins for the control arms off the front of the frame to the front of the deck....over time have had them seize up on a Z so that will be something I will add
-Love the Deck adjustment wheel....does not get any easier to set your deck height.
-Not sure if a pivoting front axle would be better or not

Is going to take a bit to get used to the controls but they are super smooth and very responsive.
Leaves a very nice smooth cut....as for stripping will reserve judgement for now till the grass gets fully set in.

Next up some side hilling

Congrats! Any updates?

The Pro-Stance seems to be selling very well this spring! Im not surprised at all after my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
04-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I think your experience and review changed ALOT of people's mind about Gravley. It's pretty obvious they take care of Thier customers and make a quality machine.

mag360
04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I think your experience and review changed ALOT of people's mind about Gravley. It's pretty obvious they take care of Thier customers and make a quality machine.

Agreed - a good review on lawnsite can push a potential buyer over the edge (like me)

Optimum Lawn
04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Agreed - a good review on lawnsite can push a potential buyer over the edge (like me)

Worked for me.....made me drive 11hrs out of my way just to continue using Gravely
Deere and Toro are much closer

Ridin' Green
04-28-2013, 06:12 PM

....and/or make them buy a machine they don't really even need. At least not yet.:laugh:

Optimum Lawn
05-03-2013, 11:54 PM
So got a chance to do some slopes so here be my opinion....
It will still get away from you just like a Z...lol.
Pointing the front down slope and at a certain point/angle the rears will start to loose traction.(Have to bring my level next week and see at what angle it takes off). Doing side hills if you keep the front end pointed slightly up slope it sticks...just do not let the front end point down slope.
Never at any point when climbing some steep slopes does the front end ever hint at lifting (but I am only 145lbs wet)....backing down slopes either straight down or on a angle then traversing up always keeping the front pointed slightly to fully up slope is the way I will work it and it sticks like glue.

The Hydrostatic drive is frikken awesome...the more I get use to it, the more I love it ....very very precise in execution...move the levers and it responds now with no free wheelin at any point.

So next week I will figure out the angles I am working on on this one property to give a better idea

So far lovin the machine and yup love this standing thing much better than sitting:clapping:

Well engineered Gravely:dancing:

whiffyspark
05-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Pointing the front down slope and at a certain point/angle the rears will start to loose traction.(Have to bring my level next week and see at what angle it takes off). Doing side hills if you keep the front end pointed slightly up slope it sticks...just do not let the front end point down slope.
Never at any point when climbing some steep slopes does the front end ever hint at lifting (but I am only 145lbs wet)....backing down slopes either straight down or on a angle then traversing up always keeping the front pointed slightly to fully up slope is the way I will work it and it sticks like glue.

The Hydrostatic drive is frikken awesome...the more I get use to it, the more I love it ....very very precise in execution...move the levers and it responds now with no free wheelin at any point.

So next week I will figure out the angles I am working on on this one property to give a better idea

So far lovin the machine and yup love this standing thing much better than sitting:clapping:

Do you have any large properties? I'm wondering how it will be standing for a while at a time.

Mine would be my main mower along with a walk behind.

I can get a 52 pro stance and a 34 walk behind plus other stuff for 11k
Posted via Mobile Device

Optimum Lawn
05-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Largest property is about 1.5 acres and as for standing all day I wouldn't be uncomfortable at all (mind you I stand all day dirt biking so this is way easier)
I find the contour of the padding on the prostance helps hugely for comfort and support.

GMLC
05-04-2013, 08:09 AM

The only time I ever lost traction was going down steep slopes at first. But the better I got with the controls and positioning I learned how to keep the wheels turning to almost prevent sliding. In my opinion its better than a ZTR but not as good as a walkbehind on steep hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

mag360
05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Do you have any large properties? I'm wondering how it will be standing for a while at a time.

Mine would be my main mower along with a walk behind.

I can get a 52 pro stance and a 34 walk behind plus other stuff for 11k
Posted via Mobile Device

spend $1000 more and you'll get fleet pricing

whiffyspark
05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
It came out to 13 something minus 20% right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Optimum Lawn
05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
The only time I ever lost traction was going down steep slopes at first. But the better I got with the controls and positioning I learned how to keep the wheels turning to almost prevent sliding. In my opinion its better than a ZTR but not as good as a walkbehind on steep hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed 100%
Has a lot more control than a Z, but not quite as much as a WB...though not sure if it is by much if I was trying to control a 61" hydrostatic drive WB in my circumstance.... a 36" WB wins here

Blades Lawn Maintenance
06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Just wanted to share a picture I took with the Pro stance demo I had. Guys I'm telling you if you are are trying to decide on a mower don't rule out Gravley. At least give them a try and have a demo set up for your self. Just like GMLC Gravely went out there way to get in contact with me and the rep personally met me so I could pick up the mower.

I think this mower is amazing. I'm currently suffering a herniated disk and I felt a heck of a lot better after riding on the pro stance than I do with a sit down mower. Of course the cut quality was amazing, Just like in GMLC pictures. I believe I had last years model but the cut can only get better with the new deck they came out with.

Here ya go

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg565/rheamsja/4f33f454e08074fe15765dca2ca53293.jpg

GMLC
06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Very nice! Thanks for your thoughts on the machine. The features Gravely thought of on the Pro-Stance make it a top contender in the stander world. The quality is the best I have seen on any stander, the frame is massive!!
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Just wanted to share a picture I took with the Pro stance demo I had. Guys I'm telling you if you are are trying to decide on a mower don't rule out Gravley. At least give them a try and have a demo set up for your self. Just like GMLC Gravely went out there way to get in contact with me and the rep personally met me so I could pick up the mower.

I think this mower is amazing. I'm currently suffering a herniated disk and I felt a heck of a lot better after riding on the pro stance than I do with a sit down mower. Of course the cut quality was amazing, Just like in GMLC pictures. I believe I had last years model but the cut can only get better with the new deck they came out with.

Here ya go

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg565/rheamsja/4f33f454e08074fe15765dca2ca53293.jpg

And who says southern grasses don't stripe!!!!!

Blades Lawn Maintenance
06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
And who says southern grasses don't stripe!!!!!

Lol :drinkup:

It's not as good as up there but it fine for me

baitdragger
06-18-2013, 11:10 PM
I just demo'd a pro stance. Was it just my machine or does the left handle controller shut the engine off? I don't mind how the grandstand cuts the PTO off if you let the handle go. But the pro stance was shutting off when I hit bumps and my arms bounced up. Also to open a gate or pick up trash the mower turned off every time. Very annoying

I liked the fit and finish of the wrights and toro/exmark a little better. Bad boy not so much. Not yet able to demo a vride. But the dealer is close. Hope to pull trigger soon

Blades Lawn Maintenance
06-19-2013, 12:34 AM
You don't have to to shut the machine off every time you get off, just pull the parking brake up

GMLC
06-19-2013, 06:58 AM
I just demo'd a pro stance. Was it just my machine or does the left handle controller shut the engine off? I don't mind how the grandstand cuts the PTO off if you let the handle go. But the pro stance was shutting off when I hit bumps and my arms bounced up. Also to open a gate or pick up trash the mower turned off every time. Very annoying

I liked the fit and finish of the wrights and toro/exmark a little better. Bad boy not so much. Not yet able to demo a vride. But the dealer is close. Hope to pull trigger soon

I never had that problem with the left hand controller. Maybe yours was adjusted to sensitive? Should only activate the safety when you let go. Also when you get off the machine you just have to set the parking brake and it wont shut off.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
06-19-2013, 08:36 AM

I noticed the engine shutting off in the same manner when I tested out the pro stance. I also did not like having to set the ebrake every time I got off. The Toro was the simplest as far as operator presence function.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
06-19-2013, 08:40 AM
I noticed the engine shutting off in the same manner when I tested out the pro stance. I also did not like having to set the ebrake every time I got off. The Toro was the simplest as far as operator presence function.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does the toro/exmark set the parking brake automatically when getting off the machine? I have never owned any commercial ZTR/WB/Stander that lets you leave the machine without setting the parking brake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Does the toro/exmark set the parking brake automatically when getting off the machine? I have never owned any commercial ZTR/WB/Stander that lets you leave the machine without setting the parking brake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Neither have I, and the ProStance I demo'd I had to set the brake in the usual fashion. I have to set the brake on my Deere just like any other mower.

lawnkingforever
06-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You can step off of the grandstand without setting the brake. The reason for this is toro marketed this mower as a wb if need be. Walking behind the gs is awkward and I never use it in wb mode. This was a marketing gimmick by toro. The instruction video shows it being used as a wb it is a joke to say the least. The deere I demoed was the worst as the operator presence is on the platform. You step off for a second to pick something off of a yard and it shuts down.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
You can step off of the grandstand without setting the brake. The reason for this is toro marketed this mower as a wb if need be. Walking behind the gs is awkward and I never use it in wb mode. This was a marketing gimmick by toro. The instruction video shows it being used as a wb it is a joke to say the least. The deere I demoed was the worst as the operator presence is on the platform. You step off for a second to pick something off of a yard and it shuts down.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can also flip up the platform on the Pro-Stance to use as a walkbehind. The traction isnt as good though.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
06-19-2013, 07:36 PM
You can also flip up the platform on the Pro-Stance to use as a walkbehind. The traction isnt as good though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravely pro stance is a great mower. Already having an accelerator bagger and the ocdc was a major factor in my purchase of a new grandstand. I would of had to purchase these two items if I went with the pro stance. I am a cheerleader of no brand of standers. They all had their faults.
Posted via Mobile Device

baitdragger
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
It could have been too sensitive. I wasn't hitting ditches at full speed trying to roll the thing. Just 4-5 mph through a gravel lot to the grass and if I hit a bump my arm would raise a little and the engine would spool down and 1/2 second later my arm drop and the engine pick up RPMs

I figured if it did that so many times on test ride. It would surely annoy me on a bumpy lawn

I went to demo the pro stance 100% because of this thread and review. I had demoed the stander X and GS already. Neither had such a finicky cut off

My main yard has a big gate and lots of sticks. I didn't know the ebrake kept the engine running till these replies so I was worried I would start the engine 7 times each yard
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
06-19-2013, 11:51 PM
When I was demoing I had that problem too. I would for get to put the brake on or my hand would come off the handle but after a couple days you get used to it.

GMLC
06-20-2013, 08:13 AM
It could have been too sensitive. I wasn't hitting ditches at full speed trying to roll the thing. Just 4-5 mph through a gravel lot to the grass and if I hit a bump my arm would raise a little and the engine would spool down and 1/2 second later my arm drop and the engine pick up RPMs

I figured if it did that so many times on test ride. It would surely annoy me on a bumpy lawn

I went to demo the pro stance 100% because of this thread and review. I had demoed the stander X and GS already. Neither had such a finicky cut off

My main yard has a big gate and lots of sticks. I didn't know the ebrake kept the engine running till these replies so I was worried I would start the engine 7 times each yard
Posted via Mobile Device

I would say its something you get use to and you wont lift your hand off the safety over bumps(and it may be out of adjustment). Most of my lawns here in NH are bumpy and I had no problems. Your not going to find a better built stander with all the features and cut quality. Foot operated and hand operated deck lift, dial adjust deck height, rubber isolated foot platform, etc. etc. Thanks for your honest input, got any pics?

kawakx125
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days

GMLC
06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days

I here ya on the platform operator presence. My guess to why the Pro-Stance doesnt use it is because the platform flips up for WB mode. IMO the Pro-Stance is the only "useable" stander as a WB. Altough traction was reduced. The cut is great on the Pro-Stance and that is Wrights down fall and always has been, crappy cut quality. I had great hope for the aero core deck but it has been less than stellar on cool season grasses.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
06-28-2013, 09:54 AM
I currently have mine in the shop for cut quality issues, another LCO in my area has 2 of them and they seem to do a good job with the right blades and baffle setup. the dealer thinks mine cuts like crap as well and they can't figure out why, everything is within spec. if i haven't heard something positive by monday then i'll probably be looking to get into something else

sjessen
06-28-2013, 09:36 PM
The high platform height on the other brands of mowers is related to the patent Wright has on the location of the platform. Agreed, it is high. If it were as low as the Wright there would be a lot of bottoming out along with problems navigating ditches. A person does get used ot it after a while though.

GMLC
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Very interesting read! I met Gravely's Bill Engler in Orlando during my 452 demo. He was an amazing individual!!

http://mobile.greenindustrypros.com/article/10928459/stand-on-mowers-reasons-to-buy
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
i bottom out the platform on this vantage on multiple properties, not to mention every time i load it on the trailer it drags.

MJB
07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.

GMLC
07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.

The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya I posted it by accident in this thread, don't know if I could retract it or move it. Ill try. Thanks.

cpllawncare
07-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

What style deck would you call toro's?

GMLC
07-07-2013, 08:04 AM
What style deck would you call toro's?

I consider the Turbo Force tightly baffled. Not as much as the Exmark Ultra Cut though. I can only speak from experience on northern grasses so some decks may cut differently on warm season turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
07-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I was just curious because I noticed a pretty severe drop in cut quality lately down here since we've been getting monsoon rains practically everyday, we're pushing the majority of our yards trying to keep our quality up but some are just to big and it's not practical.

beaver29
07-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of price are they asking for a pro stance 48"?

lawnkingforever
07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
What kind of price are they asking for a pro stance 48"?
The local dealer quoted $7500 a few months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

mag360
07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
I was just curious because I noticed a pretty severe drop in cut quality lately down here since we've been getting monsoon rains practically everyday, we're pushing the majority of our yards trying to keep our quality up but some are just to big and it's not practical.

Do you have the deck all the way open? The last turboforce I ran was on a diesel z and had the adjustable front baffle that you can move forward to open up the discharge like the new gravely decks. I remember it doing fairly well in the wet stuff with that configuration.

beaver29
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
I think I will try to get a pro stance 48" to demo. I am in the market for a 48" cut ztr or stander for my smaller accounts.

GMLC
07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I think I will try to get a pro stance 48" to demo. I am in the market for a 48" cut ztr or stander for my smaller accounts.

Nice! Let us know what you think after the demo. It really is a great machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice! Let us know what you think after the demo. It really is a great machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. I demo'd the 48" PS last year and I really was impressed by it.

beaver29
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Yep. I demo'd the 48" PS last year and I really was impressed by it.

Was it easy to get used of the controls and control the machine Ridin'? Does the 48" have the 4 gauge wheels on front of the deck like the 52"?