PDA

View Full Version : Dump Insert Installed CHECK ENGINE LIGHT Is on now...

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Well we had a 6.5' TruckCraft Allum. Dump Insert Installed today. (Dropped it off at 8 and my phone was ringing for pickup at Noon.) :rolleyes:

Picked it up at the dealer then raised it half way..they let it back down. Made a few stops about an hour later my worker calls and says the Check Engine light is on...

Anyone know what it could be????

Either way im going to take it in tomorrow morning and have them fix it..

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

gusbuster
10-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't see how an installation of a dump insert would cause a check engine light.

Usually a check engine light has something to do with emission. Even a loose gas cap will cause this. Just food for thought.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Well that's what I was saying! I just dropped off the truck so we'll see! But I forgot to mention that all a sudden the dump insert doesn't raise and the light light comes on!
Posted via Mobile Device

hosejockey2002
10-05-2012, 09:08 PM
More than likely it's related, but no way to know unless you read the code. There's literally 1000 things that can make that light come on. Since the insert doesn't work, take it back to the shop that installed it.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-05-2012, 09:14 PM
More than likely it's related, but no way to know unless you read the code. There's literally 1000 things that can make that light come on. Since the insert doesn't work, take it back to the shop that installed it.

Yeah thats what i did earlier... i guess the breaker on the insert clicked and When we flipped it back it didnt click back over or something.... long story short, It was just the breaker and some other wire im sure... The dealer had the truck for 3 hours again so who knows what they did. All i know is the light is off and the insert works.

hosejockey2002
10-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Glad they solved the problem- enjoy the insert, mine is the best purchase I've ever made.

lazor-cut
11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Not to hi-jack this this thread but, Im having the same problem. Had the Insert installed 2 months ago And the Check engine light comes on (Insert and everything still works) Then once i reset the switch/ breaker on the insert the light goes off.. Anyone know what i can do/?

32vld
11-17-2012, 07:24 PM
How large is the battery? Is it the largest group size available for your truck?

Generator output? What amp rating do you have now? What amp ratings are there available as options for your truck?

What condition are your battery cables?

What gauge wire was used to carry the power for the insert?

How long are those power cables?

Combination length and gauge can cause excessive amperage draw causing relays and breakers to trip.

Company that did install uses light gauge wires to save money?

All these things can cause a system wide voltage drop when the insert is used causing relays to trip and trouble codes to be set.

jsslawncare
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM
You can get an obdII scanner for about $50. Get one and read the codes. I keep one in the door pocket of my truck.

Ray&Christine
11-18-2012, 05:18 PM
What make and model and year of truck is it?

lazor-cut
11-20-2012, 06:51 PM
What make and model and year of truck is it?

Sorry for the delayed response but its in a 2011 GMC 2500 HD

lazor-cut
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
How large is the battery? Is it the largest group size available for your truck?
Stock No idea... Never upgraded though
Generator output? What amp rating do you have now? What amp ratings are there available as options for your truck?
No idea...havent looked
What condition are your battery cables?
Good? Its brand new. Truck is a Year old
What gauge wire was used to carry the power for the insert?
What ever was supplied from truckcraft. Pretty thick.
How long are those power cables?
Maybe 7' just from the insert to the battery.

Combination length and gauge can cause excessive amperage draw causing relays and breakers to trip.

Company that did install uses light gauge wires to save money?

All these things can cause a system wide voltage drop when the insert is used causing relays to trip and trouble codes to be set.

Sounds like i have some work to to tomorrow. Thanks

Ray&Christine
11-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Sorry for the delayed response but its in a 2011 GMC 2500 HD

I have the same truck. I reading on the GM Upfitter site something about a diode has to be installed if you install an something that has draws high amps. It said something about the power surge could damage the trucks electronics. I will post the link if I can find it. If this was the case I would thing guys with plows would be having the same problem thou. I was thinking about putting a insert on my truck in the spring so keep us up dated.

32vld
11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Heavier duty guage battery cables, gen output cable, feed and ground cables, will greatly reduce the voltage drop.

Also higher output gen and largest group size battery will help reduce voltage drop.

lazor-cut
11-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Most of the wires i see look pretty heavy duty.... Also I have a Boss V on this same truck and have never had a problem with the truck... But we will see because this is the first year i will have both on one truck.