PDA

View Full Version : Big snake in the yard

cutman2000
10-05-2012, 05:39 PM
While working on a client's yard, I saw a big black snake move across the lawn and into the hedge that I just finished cutting. This place is swamped with huge trees, so I wasn't sure if the snake came out of the sewer or a tree. I hate snakes and spiders. I'm thinking of letting this account go if the client refuses to get someone out there.

What would you do?

RussellB
10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Snakes are beneficial. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. My Rat Terrier keeps killing rat snakes in my back yard. The little sucker is going to need a new home of he keeps it up.

White Gardens
10-05-2012, 06:30 PM
If it's a Bull/Black snake, then it's a rodent eater. Leave it alone and let it do it's job.

KrayzKajun
10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I hate snakes and spiders. I'm thinking of letting this account go if the client refuses to get someone out there.

What would you do?.

#1 take yur girlfriends panties off and put on some big boy undies. #2 stop being a sissy. #3 leave the snake alone and it wont bite yur a$$.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cummins343
10-05-2012, 07:11 PM
He's just out looking for some mice! I always enjoyed when we were out in the field, and I'd sleep in the tank, then we'd wake up and I'd look outside at my crew that slept on the ground, and they've got bugs all over them.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-05-2012, 08:26 PM

#1 take yur girlfriends panties off and put on some big boy undies. #2 stop being a sissy. #3 leave the snake alone and it wont bite yur a$$.
Posted via Mobile Device

^^^ that ^^^

cutman2000
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I must be the only one here afraid of snakes.

RussellB
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd recommend you purchase a snake and handle it frequently. You'll soon find out they're not that bad. If nothing else you'll find out the bite is similar to a bee sting.;)

4 seasons lawn&land
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I dont want one around me but Im sure not canning customers over it. Maybe Im missing something. Are you in the south where snakes kill you because I guess Im not thinking about that problem living in NY

gcbailey
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I keep count every year.... to date 13 killed.... 8 copper heads and the rest garter snakes.... thick around here, even in the burbs.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
how do not get bit if they are so common?

ztman
10-05-2012, 10:23 PM

snakes are every where, you may just not see them. you can still be afraid of them, but no need to fire a client. if you fire a client every time you see a snake, practice "would you like fries with that"

cgaengineer
10-05-2012, 10:32 PM
While working on a client's yard, I saw a big black snake move across the lawn and into the hedge that I just finished cutting. This place is swamped with huge trees, so I wasn't sure if the snake came out of the sewer or a tree. I hate snakes and spiders. I'm thinking of letting this account go if the client refuses to get someone out there.

What would you do?

Seriously?

This is me removing a copperhead from my parents lawn...and releasing it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=387305&highlight=copperhead

cgaengineer
10-05-2012, 10:34 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

No shat!!

Dropping an account for a snake? Does the OP have any idea of how many snakes he doesn't see?

OakNut
10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I'll take any number of snakes over a fresh pile of dog sh!t any day.

KrayzKajun
10-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I'll take any number of snakes over a fresh pile of dog sh!t any day.

Amen to that!
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
10-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Funny I saw a snake tody while cutting grass, I dont thin it was a posion snake so I left him alone.

I dont like snakes at all, all snakes that like to come close to my living quarters are likley to get killed..

Last month I killed a rattle snake as big around as my arm, my cat was stering him down whil the snake was coiled up, that wsnt much fun

cutman2000
10-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Seriously?

This is me removing a copperhead from my parents lawn...and releasing it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=387305&highlight=copperhead
The one I saw in my client's yard was a lot bigger. But I wouldn't pick up a snake even if it was 3".

cgaengineer
10-06-2012, 08:57 AM
The one I saw in my client's yard was a lot bigger. But I wouldn't pick up a snake even if it was 3".

Size doesn't matter really..the snake you saw was non poisonous. The one in the thread above is venomous.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Size doesn't matter really..
Posted via Mobile Device

If your wife or girlfriend told you that she was just trying to be nice and not hurt your feelings.

Op, I'm with you. There's no use for snakes, I would rather deal with all the rodents they eat instead.

cgaengineer
10-06-2012, 10:52 PM
If your wife or girlfriend told you that she was just trying to be nice and not hurt your feelings.

Op, I'm with you. There's no use for snakes, I would rather deal with all the rodents they eat instead.

Great come back...;)

If you actually knew anything about me you would not have written that first comment...I'll just say this, keep your wife or girlfriend on a short leash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kkane97
10-06-2012, 11:03 PM
By me there aren't any venomous snakes besides rattlers in the hills above me, I'm young and can be stupid, but when mowing I'll stop to pick up and move it to avoid killing it, there all have a reason to be where they are and I feel I shouldn't mess with that. But dropping an account? A bit extreme to me...

nnusskern
10-07-2012, 02:06 AM
I with the op i hate snakes. I have assisted with removing them from peoples yards before, but im am always pretty afraid. Any time i see one on my yard or a place im working at they are killed. I know that this may not be the best approach. But i absolutely hate them.
Posted via Mobile Device

bob
10-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Which would you rather have,rats & mice, or snakes? I'll take a snake over rodents any day!

Duekster
10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Rodents carry diseases and harbor fleas and ticks that also tramsmit diseases. While I do not care for snakes... I am not going to kill one or fire a client.

jlcrox2
10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybe you could buy a mongoose to keep with you. I can't speak for all of them but that Rikki Tikki Tavi was one bad SOB. .... Or a honey badger. I hear they don't give a sh!t.

Should solve your snake problem.

nnusskern
10-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Jlcrox2 that is a great idea. That might be my next pet.
Posted via Mobile Device

cutman2000
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Size doesn't matter really..the snake you saw was non poisonous. The one in the thread above is venomous.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm assuming the one I saw was non poisonous. And really,... size does matter.

cutman2000
10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I would like to add this: This thread was not about me or anyone hating deadly or poisonous snakes. It's about being afraid of snakes, in general. So size would not be a factor at all. I just wanted to know how some of you would handle the situation.

JContracting
10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Maybe you could buy a mongoose to keep with you. I can't speak for all of them but that Rikki Tikki Tavi was one bad SOB. .... Or a honey badger. I hear they don't give a sh!t.

Should solve your snake problem.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg
:laugh:

I hate snakes, they can keep the big ones down in the dirty south. I hate basically everything except mammals like dogs, cats (not really), foxes, 'yot-ays (coyotes), wolves, deer, etc. I saw a garder snake in a property of mine that borders a small tree line and then a big prairie area. Damn near jumped out of my work boots! It's one of my favorite accounts and I will certainly not drop it (especially because it's a mile away from home and it's a full service account). I didn't kill it as it wasn't harming me, I believe every animal has its place on Earth for a reason. Even mosquitoes..

herler
10-11-2012, 01:24 AM
I don't like snakes but they are a part of this business, I've always respected the snake and they usually do the same for me, as in we go each other's way and thank you.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

This sums it up quite well. I saw plenty of black snakes toward the end of the summer and didnt even worry about them. I did see a few copper heads though and because they are poisinous we let the customer know and they took care of it

TuffShins
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
You should get some kind of snake leg protection. Google some snake chaps or snake guards. I wear shin protection anytime I have to do work in thick brush.

dstifel
11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
That's good ****

zackvbra
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
here in south ga, I was cleaning under someones deck and there was a water moccasin under there. they are a poisonous pit viper and their venom can kill. i told the client i wouldnt set foot under there again until he got an animal catcher to come get it.
you chose this profession, which takes place outside. You should learn more about snakes and other critters to know which ones to fret about and which ones not to. after all, you will work outside all the time and undoubtably run into snakes and other things from time to time.

New2TheGreenIndustry
11-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes...you should probably ask your husband what to do about it.

cgaengineer
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes...you should probably ask your husband what to do about it.

That's funny right there!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnboy dan
11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
he would doing commercial prop here in fla-they all have retention ponds and moccisan city! cant wait to take the redmax recipacator to one

Darryl G
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, the snake came out of the sewer!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: