PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmers

Hex Beachballs
10-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Hello I need a Hedge Trimmer that has the capability of cutting through large mass like a Watermelon. What would be a good one that can cut like a saw? preferably gas powered. Should I go with Dual reciprocating blades or what?

xtreem3d
10-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Dual blades will be nice and faster if you ever have to trim real shrubs. We happen to use Stihl but can't say they are better or worse than others.
Steve

nobagger
10-06-2012, 06:42 PM
We use Echo and Sthil. The Sthil is an articulating attachment combo and I will say it cuts much better than the Echo's we use. It seems to stay sharper much longer and goes through much larger shoots. I've actually sawed through many larger, say 1/2"-3/4" shoots and it does very well. The Sthil has more power I think too which helps the dual blades cut fast and cleaner. I'm just not an Echo fan any longer. All of our hand held and back pack stuff is Echo and over the last couple of years they just don't seem to run well after a few months. My dealer says "it's the fuel, it's the fuel" but the few other non-Echo things we use seem to run just fine.

RussellB
10-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I run the heck out of my Sthils. Cuts 3/4" branches easily. Question? What are you cutting "large mass like a watermelon"?

Think Green
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I am running 4 older Echo HC 150's.
The newer units may have that finger shield between the tines, so be aware to do some modifications or take it off.
I believe all new units will come standard with the finger, large twig deflector between the blade edges.Other than my response, any of the usual Stihl, Echo, Husqvarnae, Shindaiwa, etc. has excellent cutting units. It is all about the money you intend to spend and the length of the cutting blades.

And yes, they are dual sided cutters.

bigslick7878
10-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Stihl, I am constantly amazed at how thick the branches are I can cut with that thing.

WJC
10-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Hello I need a Hedge Trimmer that has the capability of cutting through large mass like a Watermelon. What would be a good one that can cut like a saw? preferably gas powered. Should I go with Dual reciprocating blades or what?

Sounds like you're looking for the wrong tool.

Think Green
10-07-2012, 12:45 PM
If you are into the Halloween design thing.......purchase a dremel tool set. There is man types of articulating bits.
If you are talking about cutting through stalks, stems,etc. of the watermelon plant, then all of the mentioned units above will do the job.
I have done art work using fall fruits with the dremel tool.

Hex Beachballs
10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I run the heck out of my Sthils. Cuts 3/4" branches easily. Question? What are you cutting "large mass like a watermelon"?

I need a Hedge Trimmer that will cut through thick brush and branches. Also there are some rotten melons that I might have to cut through. I don't really want to get a chainsaw just for that.