PDA

View Full Version : Amazed at composting debris....

Steiner
10-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Earlier this year I built a 5'x5' bunk for compost for that material that was coming off landscaping jobs as well as the occasional clippings. I have to say how amazed I am at how fast that small area has been able to digest the material. I don't bag except for my own lawn which is 100% organic.

I am still learning how to mix the browns and green and turn and water but wow. An entire year worth of hedge trimmings, pulled peony, hosta, and basically any other scraps.

I built it in hopes of creating compost for my garden just a once and awhile thing but I feel addicted now. My wife rolls her eyes at me when I say I am going out to turn it, or I pull egg shells out of the trash for it!

I was wondering if you guys had anything like this and how you do it? Off my dream shop I always envisioned a few bunks where I could turn material with a skid steer. Maybe 3 bunks for finished, 1/2 done, and starting compost.

I guess many do it as a hobby and most larger guys just pile it somewhere and let nature take care of it.

1. But are there any guys doing it on a medium scale without the giant
equipment?

2. Would a bunk with a skid steer turn every week suffice?

3. I know there is no great market to buy this unless your doing major volume but I do buy about 100 bags every year of compost so maybe I can offset cost? Does anyone bring a bucket of their own compost as a soil amendment?

-Chris
New York

Toro 455
10-06-2012, 08:06 AM
You could contact your county extension office for a localized recipe. They could tell you how often to turn it etc.

I don't compost because I'm close to the city of Columbus. They compost their waste and sell it for a penny a pound. I have a topdresser and have spread tons of the stuff.

You have my admiration for composting your own.

Smallaxe
10-06-2012, 09:09 AM
There was a fellow with pix of his operation and he was composting giant hills of leaves from the cleanups and used a skidster to turn until it was done... water when needed and turn it when needed... its often more than once a week I believe, people who do it soon get the 'feel' for how its done and what is needed... have fun... :)

greenstar lawn
10-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I started this yr as well. Nothing big and I turn it with a pitch fork. Added some grass clippings some manure and some vegetables. All is organic as well. It wasn't even my idea but my girlfriends idea. We plan on using it for our vegetable garden
Posted via Mobile Device

tonygreek
10-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't compost because I'm close to the city of Columbus. They compost their waste and sell it for a penny a pound. I have a topdresser and have spread tons of the stuff.
That's good to know, Toro. Thanks.

CL&T
10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Municipal compost is loaded with seeds from everything imaginable. There is no way to kill them other than steam or heat sterilizing which is what the commercial products get. Municipal or home grown compost is good for gardens maybe where you can pull weeds all summer but most people who use it on their lawns find out the hard way you don't want to do that. I have a neighbor who had a couple of yards delivered for his garden. They dumped it on his lawn next to the road in the front of his property. Now that area is solid nutsedge and spreading. :hammerhead:

Toro 455
10-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Now that area is solid nutsedge and spreading. :hammerhead:

There's an herbicide for nutsedge now. I'm going to try some for the first time. Not related to the compost though, Comtil Plus is a first rate product. http://utilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=38184

cgaengineer
10-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Municipal compost is loaded with seeds from everything imaginable. There is no way to kill them other than steam or heat sterilizing which is what the commercial products get. Municipal or home grown compost is good for gardens maybe where you can pull weeds all summer but most people who use it on their lawns find out the hard way you don't want to do that. I have a neighbor who had a couple of yards delivered for his garden. They dumped it on his lawn next to the road in the front of his property. Now that area is solid nutsedge and spreading. :hammerhead:

If its done properly the heat from the composting process kills weed seeds...no ovens needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
10-07-2012, 09:23 AM
That is exactly true... no ovens needed... IF... done properly and who can trust the gov't to do it properly??? :)

Kiril
10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
That is exactly true... no ovens needed... IF... done properly and who can trust the gov't to do it properly??? :)

Maybe they should hire you to "take a look at it". You know, because you can tell if a compost is good just by looking and smelling it ....... right axe?

cgaengineer
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Maybe they should hire you to "take a look at it". You know, because you can tell if a compost is good just by looking and smelling it ....... right axe?

Why the chest bumping all the time oh great compost and anything green god?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
10-08-2012, 06:07 AM

sad, sad, sad, little man or girl... you've contibuted to this thread ,,, How???

Kiril
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Why the chest bumping all the time oh great compost and anything green god?

Oh, I don't know gun totin' redneck, maybe because it appears to be axe's mission in life to mislead people with his uninformed and ignorant "information".

cgaengineer
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh, I don't know gun totin' redneck, maybe because it appears to be axe's mission in life to mislead people with his uninformed and ignorant "information".

I love being a gun totin' redneck...much better than being a tree huggin' liberal.

Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Too bad I ain't a liberal that hugs trees

cgaengineer
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Too bad I ain't a liberal that hugs trees

Got a video for ya...you'll like it...compost comes from it.

http://youtu.be/PJe754cLbok
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
There's an herbicide for nutsedge now. I'm going to try some for the first time. Not related to the compost though, Comtil Plus is a first rate product. http://utilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=38184

The herbicide for nutsedge has been out for many years. It changed names and is call Sedgehammer. You need to add surfactant to it to make it work better. Nothing will turn yellow for three weeks so fight the erg to spray again.