PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded shocks

cpllawncare
10-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm adding a mower next year and want to upgrade the rear shocks on my 05 F-150 I'm told go with rancho's any particular ones? it has factory shocks on there now.

jbturf
10-06-2012, 06:15 PM
not sure what a new mower has to do with shocks.... but anyways,
ive seen many use bilsteins and have a nice long life outa them,

think for rancho ive liked the rs9000 best

GravelyGuy
10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Go with bilsteins. My 2011 f 250 came with ranchos that I threw in the trash, they were that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
10-06-2012, 08:34 PM
ranchos are more for off-road use ,not really meant for a work truck .The kyb.s from carquest are good shocks for a fair price.

poolboy
10-07-2012, 12:48 AM
How about air bags?
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Go with bilsteins. My 2011 f 250 came with ranchos that I threw in the trash, they were that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

The silver Bilsteins are very good units.

cpllawncare
10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
not sure what a new mower has to do with shocks.... but anyways,
ive seen many use bilsteins and have a nice long life outa them,

think for rancho ive liked the rs9000 best

The new mower will be adding weight, I just want to stiffen the rear a tad, I know it's mostly a spring issue but I thought some better shocks would help a little bit anyway. I guess I need to find out what's on there now factory wise. If there rancho's I don't want to go back to them.

cgaengineer
10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
The new mower will be adding weight, I just want to stiffen the rear a tad, I know it's mostly a spring issue but I thought some better shocks would help a little bit anyway. I guess I need to find out what's on there now factory wise. If there rancho's I don't want to go back to them.

You need a helper spring or add a leaf an new shocks. Any parts store heavy duty shock will be an improvement to a factory for shock.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
You need a helper spring or add a leaf an new shocks..
Posted via Mobile Device

This. You won't see a huge difference if you do just new shocks. Could do as suggested and go with air bags, they give you the most versatility.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-07-2012, 05:33 PM

You need some PacBrake airbags. I put them on my 06' Ram 2500 and my 09' Ram 3500. With airbags you can alter the psi to control the weight you need to support. Empty you can drop the PSI to 5-10 and still have a smooth ride. Mass Diesel had the best price when I bought mine.

GravelyGuy
10-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Shocks will do nothing to stiffen the rear. You can compress shocks with your hands. They make a huge difference in ride quality though.

cpllawncare
10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
You need some PacBrake airbags. I put them on my 06' Ram 2500 and my 09' Ram 3500. With airbags you can alter the psi to control the weight you need to support. Empty you can drop the PSI to 5-10 and still have a smooth ride. Mass Diesel had the best price when I bought mine.

I'll look into these thx.