PDA

View Full Version : Been mowing since July cant seem to shake arm soreness, any help?

jvgkaty
10-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Its mostly in my right arm, i am right handed. the soreness is in the outer forearm and bicep near elbow, i believe from the weed eater. I just cant seem to shake it or heal it up, its constant. any advice? thanks

larryinalabama
10-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Take some ibuprofin

jvgkaty
10-06-2012, 11:19 PM
i really dont want to be stuck on taking pills.

nashlawn01
10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Try taking a break from rubbing one out lol!!!

nashlawn01
10-06-2012, 11:25 PM
All jokes aside if your like most your not getting any younger. Have you tried icy hot or something like that

RussellB
10-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Not sure why a trimmer or mowing would cause your arm to stay sore. I'd probably have a DR take a look at it.

Dr.NewEarth
10-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Try changing how you hold your right hand on the trigger for part of your routines. My wrist and elbow get sore from pulling ignition cords too. I have even worn special tensor bandages on both the right elbow and my wrist. If you won't take an anti-inflamatory or a pill to ease the pain, then I have no other suggestions.....I suppose you could hire a crew and just supervise?

agrostis
10-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Are you keeping your hand, wrist and arm in a straight line when using a mouse ? Are you sitting up straight ? Bad computer posture can cause all kind of weird pain's. In 2010 the top of my forearm was hurting like i've never felt before, i thought i was coming down with rheumatism or arthritis, it turned out to be bad computer posture.

Weekend cut easymoney
10-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Move the trimmer handle farther down the shaft...the factory puts the stickler too close to the trigger....moving it will give you more leverage and makes the head seem lighter
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
10-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Also helps straighten your wrist and takes pressure off firearm/ wrist
Posted via Mobile Device

jvgkaty
10-07-2012, 12:48 AM
cool, thanks for the tips. ill try them out.

RussellB
10-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I had Carpel tunnel syndrome surgery about 10 years ago. That pain was constant (worse while trying to sleep) and started at my wrist and ran up my forearm to my elbow. Don't know if that is what you have, just a thought. Recovery from surgery takes a couple months so if that is what you have you'll want to take care of it in the off season.

Toro 455
10-07-2012, 07:50 AM
It sounds like tennis elbow.

I'm old so here's what I do to stay in shape. Yearly physical, eat right, exercise, take glucosamine, yoga stretches, and take Aleve when all of the above fails.

I'm reluctant to pop pills too, and really reluctant to take the homeopathic crap. But the glucosamine works and it actually enhances the effect of naproxin (Aleve). So I'm not just feeling better I'm getting better.

easy-lift guy
10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Your symptoms sound like the beginning of injuries due to RMI and or HAVS. Don't kid yourself about taking ibuprofen, ESP before bed time. The suggestions about holding your equipment differently and handle adjustment are practical. My product has been developed to lift and transfer the weight of implement to the backpack frame work. Maintaing your center of gravity in conjunction with using various types of equipment is key to reducing the symptoms of RMI and HRVS. www.easyliftharness.com
easy-lift guy

RigglePLC
10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you have "tennis elbow", an injury from weeks ago that is hard to heal and easily re-injured. You can wear a special wrist brace and an forearm band to reduce pain and prevent re injury. Eventually you want to left weights especially during the off season to strengthen the wrist and forearm. The injury probably originates from something that bent the wrist back too far. Try adjusting the handles to avoid that. Also, try to wrap tape around the handles to make them 2 inches in diameter instead of one inch. Talk to your doctor.

CutterCutter
10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
What you've got is inflammation. Sometimes referred to as tennis elbow.

Last year mine started in my elbow, went up to my shoulder and then down into my forearm. So the entire right arm/shoulder was really bad. So bad it felt like the bone had been fractured.

Ibuprofen fights inflammation so that's the first thing to take. The long term answer is a daily dose of Glucosamine Chondroitin and Fish Oil. Don't laugh. I got on this stuff in November of last year and have gotten through six months of heavy mowing/trimming with no serious problems. Not related to tennis elbow, but I also take a good daily vitamin and a garlic tablet.

Depending on you condition it should take from two to four weeks for the GC and fish oil to eliminate the pain.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
In the heat of the season, if you can afford it next season, hire a part time worker.

The easy lift may also help, sounds like a great product.

93Chevy
10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Glucosamine and condroitin are good to take, but HA Plus is a better product that works faster. It's Hylauronic Acid, which helps rebuild cartilage in between joints thus eliminating pain and inflammation.

HA Plus and better practices when holding a trimmer should help you out a lot. Strengthening your joints by doing push ups and pull ups will help greatly also.

jvgkaty
10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
thanks, ill look into these things.

D&A Lawn Service
10-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Do you have a bent shaft trimmer that can be the problem i would switch to a straight shaft trimmer if you dont have one already but that may help alot