PDA

View Full Version : plowing with a 2 wheel drive rack body

SGPMI
10-09-2012, 07:49 PM
im thinking about putting a snow plow on my 2011 chevy 3500 rack body dump and its 2 wheel drive with a locking rear differential and my truck weights 9000lbs empty. Just seeing if anyone is snowplowing with 2 wheel drive truck with a locking rear differential and how they do snow plowing? and what people thoughts are with snow plowing a 2 wheel drive truck?

32vld
10-09-2012, 09:59 PM
What are you going to do when you get stuck? Do you have another truck that can come an pull you out.

I know from experience that a LSD is better then RWD, but no where close to as good as 4WD.

Yes your truck is heavier then a pick up though heavy enough to always have enough traction who knows.

Best thing to do is register on plowsite and ask there.

ecurbthims
10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I have used several 2wd units for plowing ,they work fine depending on the areas your working in .A large flat parking lot is no problem ,but if theres a chance your piling over a ditch or embankment ,you have to be very carefull you dont drop a wheel and cant get out .

TriCountyLawn
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
If its flat and error proofish then you will be okay with some ballast. Loading docks can get ya in a hurry. Far as running of the pavement, I stuck a 4x4 like this once.

SGPMI
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
what about doing driveways?

alldayrj
10-09-2012, 10:25 PM
How big are they? I'm assuming its a long truck if it weighs that much
Posted via Mobile Device

SGPMI
10-09-2012, 10:29 PM
its a long truck it has a 12ft dump body on it and the driveways are a descent size

White Gardens
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
If its flat and error proofish then you will be okay with some ballast. Loading docks can get ya in a hurry. Far as running of the pavement, I stuck a 4x4 like this once.

I plow with an 01, C3500HD, dual rear wheel drive with a posi rear.

Only time I've ever been stuck was during our 12" blizzard. Even then it was when I was making my first pass and the plow got over-loaded, pushed up, and hung up my front end.

Might not have gotten stuck completely if I had more weight in the bed, but I only had 800 lbs of salt at the time. Just took a bit of hand digging to come free. I had also salted all of my accounts before the storm in order to ensure traction.

Even do some moderate loading docks with the truck. Trick is to take lots of time and take small bites when back-dragging out the snow.

I always have salt on the truck and a shovel, everything I do is basically flat also. Even some of the slightest inclines can get tricky.

First dually dump I also plowed with. So in 7 years I've never been stuck, or had to call a tow truck. I've got one on speed dial though just in case.:)

EDIT, I do plenty of driveways with mine also. Never an issue. The truck has a solid/wide front axle so it turns reasonably sharp. Standard cab and 10ft dump body.

ReddensLawnCare
10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
How big are they? I'm assuming its a long truck if it weighs that much
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a crew cab 2500 with a service bed on it and it weighs 9100
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
10-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Thats awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-09-2012, 11:58 PM
You should be fine Mine I push in 2wd 75% of time Mine is a 4x4 dually flatbed but with posi trac in rear with front end lock in it doesnt steer very well it likes to buck around when I turn

But dont get stuck

STIHL GUY
10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
id be sceptical of plowing with a 2wd....ive gotten stuck with my 4wd plenty of times...ive tried plowing in 2wd and cant make it anywhere...i also plow a lot of hills and such...i just like the option of having 4wd in case i do get stuck. if your just plowing parking lots or flat driveways you shouldnt have any problems

metro36
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
The company I plow for has a 2wd F350 with a 12' rack body. It has a salter in the back and plows ok when full. We only plow parking lots and you have to take some care not to drive over any unplowed snow with it. One guy got it stuck by trying to back up through an unplowed area with the salter empty.

So if you plow parking lots or wide open areas and put some weight in the back it should be ok. I wouldnt recommend trying to do driveways or tight lots with it though.

SGPMI
10-14-2012, 09:26 PM
you know that GM trucks are so much better then ford

SGPMI
10-14-2012, 09:27 PM
hey did you know that giant vac went out of business