PDA

View Full Version : Bench Testing Electric Trailer Brakes

lawnandl
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Is there any possible way to Bench Test an Electric Trailer Brake Assembly (magnetic). I have a 20ft big tex trailer with electric brakes on all 4 wheels (dual axle). The brake controller in the truck seems to test ok.

ecurbthims
10-11-2012, 09:49 PM
you can power it up with a battery directly on the two leads from the magnets .

knox gsl
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Test each magnet with an ohm meter, they should have 3.2 - 3.5 ohms of resistance on them. No need to remove from the hub.

ed2hess
10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Yes build a connector to put voltage directly into the trailer connector. What is the symtoms?

White Gardens
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
When doing mine, I use a jumper with two alligator clips.

I have one constant power wire running to the rear of my truck to power my break-away battery. I find the constant on my truck side and clip the power wire to it. Then I clip it to a bullet connector in-line with my blue break wire. Basically I disconnect it and clip the alligator clip to it.

I've got the trailer jacked up and on stands and I check each wheel to see if the magnet has engaged and the tire isn't moving.

knox gsl
10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
When doing mine, I use a jumper with two alligator clips.

I have one constant power wire running to the rear of my truck to power my break-away battery. I find the constant on my truck side and clip the power wire to it. Then I clip it to a bullet connector in-line with my blue break wire. Basically I disconnect it and clip the alligator clip to it.

I've got the trailer jacked up and on stands and I check each wheel to see if the magnet has engaged and the tire isn't moving.

Just pull the safety cable on the break away box and it will lock all four wheels down. Do this after getting all wheels off the ground and unplug from your truck.

White Gardens
10-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Just pull the safety cable on the break away box and it will lock all four wheels down. Do this after getting all wheels off the ground and unplug from your truck.

Have done that before also. I just got tired of pulling the break away lanyard when working on the brakes.

lawnandl
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I am getting full power to electric brakes but they will not go on. 12 volts to all four wheels

ecurbthims
10-17-2012, 11:02 PM
if you truly have 12 volts ,then you need some magnets .How exactly did you you test for power ?what did you hook your ground to ?

lawnandl
10-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I tested them with a multimeter right at the wire going into the drum. I cant see that all four magnets would go at the exact same time. possible ground problem?

knox gsl
10-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Possible ground problem between trailer and truck.
Posted via Mobile Device