PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing to hit with a mower or weedeater.

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Want to hear the worst things people have hit. Windows bricks and rocks r normal. My worst is a dirty diaper. An adult diaper. Got sick ugh.

knox gsl
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
With a mower, tissue pack or a steel cable. With a trimmer it goes to a fresh dog turd.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I have never had it happen to me but hitting dog crappy with the trinkets is the worst. The worst thing I've ran over with a mower is a $100 bill. I took it to the bank and they gave me a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nate'sLawnCare
10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I ran over my wallet with a mower a few months ago. The bills survived, but the wallet and credit cards didn't do too well. I had to make a couple of calls and emails to credit card companies :rolleyes:

I also ran over a yellow jacket nest in the ground with the mower and they were swarming when I came by for the next pass.

White Gardens
10-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Municipal water valve cap.

Not just the 4" disk that is on top, but I flipped up the whole 4" flange that the cap/disk sits on.

Cast iron, shattered it into a ton of pieces.

Hawkshot99
10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
The most annoying was a magazine in a shaggy lawn.

cgaengineer
10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Municipal water valve cap.

Not just the 4" disk that is on top, but I flipped up the whole 4" flange that the cap/disk sits on.

Cast iron, shattered it into a ton of pieces.

I hit a similar one, but it was the rectangular cast iron lid...it actually tossed it about 4'.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I hit a similar one, but it was the rectangular cast iron lid...it actually tossed it about 4'.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got one of these a few months back, bent the crap out of the blade.

grandview (2006)
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Baby rabbits nesting in the middle of the lawn.

Premier GreenScape
10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I expect this is going to be a good read, I have already got some good chuckles. I hope it keeps up.

We have had a recent amphibian/reptile hatch in our area it seems like everytime I turn around there is a dead frog or gecko I just murdered and more than a few small snakes.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I absolutely shredded an entire phone book what a mess!
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
This thread again, huh? Well, my record is still the same as it was last time I commented on this subject matter: Ran over a pile of people fecal with the mower once at a care home... Toilet paper and all. Seriously was about to throw up just from the smell as everything was circulating through the Accelerator catcher.

grandview (2006)
10-11-2012, 09:44 PM
New meaning to driving a ****box!

CFLS22
10-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Want to hear the worst things people have hit. Windows bricks and rocks r normal. My worst is a dirty diaper. An adult diaper. Got sick ugh.

Today I was trimming and wham I must have hit a pile of dog puke bc it got all over my shirt face and trimmer. It smelt horrible! Perfect day for this to be brought up! Ha
Posted via Mobile Device

HLM HustlerZ
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Two bad ones for me...first the cell phone was chopped up by the mower back in '07 my first year and second was last month- backed over a newspaper with my Hustler that had just been thrown out. Ughhh paper shreds EVERYWHERE- took 20 minutes to pick up!!

shovelracer
10-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Baby rabbits nesting in the middle of the lawn.

I've been there a few times. Horrible feeling. I also hit a wad of $$$ years ago I never saw. I salvaged about $300 and I still have about another $150 in pieces not complete enough to exchange. Steel cable trashed a belt and the most destructive was I sucked up a 6" rock and bent the heck out of the top deck plate. Had to sell that machine it never cut the same again.

mpriester
10-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Earlier this summer the trimmer found a dog turd and gave a new meaning to the word ****faced and a couple weeks ago mowed over a groundbee nest and 1 found its way behind my glasses and gave a sting.

Puddle of Oil
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Running over your front caster wheel with the blades on.....yep, it happened.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Running over your front caster wheel with the blades on.....yep, it happened.

Yeah we did this one as well, what a racket!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I got one of these a few months back, bent the crap out of the blade.

Yeah, bent my blade too...they are very hard to straighten.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I've been there a few times. Horrible feeling. I also hit a wad of $$$ years ago I never saw. I salvaged about $300 and I still have about another $150 in pieces not complete enough to exchange. Steel cable trashed a belt and the most destructive was I sucked up a 6" rock and bent the heck out of the top deck plate. Had to sell that machine it never cut the same again.

I'm pretty sure you didnt suck up a 6" rock...I know what you meant though, but it made me laugh to think of a mower with that much lift and what it would do to a lawn if you drove over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-12-2012, 01:34 PM
The worst thing I ever hit was an old telephone pole guy wire with my brush hog. One end was still anchored into the ground. Wrapped it up good, sucked the deck down on top of it and stalled my tractor. Getting it free and unwinding it all was quite the chore.

I also hit a "fresh pile" with my trimmer once...got it all over the left side of my shirt and a little in my mouth too. Now I can truly say with confidence when something tastes like dog sh**! Glad I keep a spare shirt in my truck at all times.

jrs.landscaping
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Hitting anything metal, I will agree with the water pipes, and manhole covers being a good one. Most of the time they are just under the grass and just high enough to catch a blade or the deck. With a trimmer, I'll agree with dog/people stuff, I also have to add condoms and we've had a couple of needles.

DQL10
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Lets see, a frog hopped infront of where I was trimming and shreaded it into pieces as it flung it up 10 feet in the air. As far as the mower, probably a dead skunk at a farm I cut once in awhile. That one made me gag quite a bit.

gcbailey
10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
The worst thing I ever hit was an old telephone pole guy wire with my brush hog. One end was still anchored into the ground. Wrapped it up good, sucked the deck down on top of it and stalled my tractor. Getting it free and unwinding it all was quite the chore.

I've had a guy get on top of an old single barb wire fence and get a bunch of it wrapped around the brush hog, luckily it was mostly free, but still.... a pain.

nashlawn01
10-12-2012, 07:58 PM
The worst thing I ran over was a dead possum. Worst thing of all had the bagging system on the scag. Dumping that out was nasty. I had a real young guy trimming one day and there was a huge pile of cat poooooo. So big it had to be its guts. It looked like a big leaf. Anyway he ran that weed eater through it and slung it all over him. He threw away his necklace was puking in the parking lot and went and laid down in the creek

Toro 455
10-13-2012, 07:14 AM
The worse was a little gravel smaller than a pea! It shot out of my trimmer and pinged the big glass front door of an office. The next time someone went thru the door the entire glass door disintigrated! I thought I was going to be sick.
It turned out the customer replaced the door with no cost to me. And I still have that customer today. That customer gets top notch service from me.

ed2hess
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM
While it didn't seem like a big thing when I ran over it a pillow got wound into and around spindle blade and I thought I would never get it all out. I hate to hit those Styrofoam things it just make bunches of little pieces.