PDA

View Full Version : A free tool I'd love some feedback on- Measure it from google maps

ptjackson
10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I've seen people doing quotes with Google maps. We are trying to create something free and useful to people here, so we are doing a free "measure it" tool. We just got it done today and I'd like to know how it could be made better for you all. The gear icon will let you switch between distance and sq footage.

Let me know what you'd like to see.

http://servicevines.com/jobs/measureit

also if you have an iphone we have the same tool in the app store.

RussellB
10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Doesn't seem to work on an IPAD. Put in the address and hit go and it didn't go.

ptjackson
10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks Russell. I'll Check using my ipad. our Iphone app will work for you though. The only downside is that if you are in the very latest apple software (ios6) it's hard to zoom in close enough. We are releasing a new iphone/ipad version next week that moves back to google maps.

TK LC&L
10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I really like this app. It will be very beneficial to give accurate measurements without actually going to a property. I did run into one issue though. A newer development, about 3 years old, is still a field in google maps. O well, that isn't your fault.

zak406
10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I like it the only thing is how accurate is it ill measure my property to determine that tomorrow.

TK LC&L
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I measured my own and it was within one hundred square feet.

GreenI.A.
10-12-2012, 06:58 AM
I tried it Wednesday after you pm'ed me. We prefer to do all of our measurenents on site so that we can see what we have to deal with. But I like to quickly look online first to get a general idea. I had been using a simular site for measurements but yours is the first app I have used doing so.

When I tried it Wednesday it worked fine with my iPad. But like you said you can't zoom in far

zak406
10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I used my iPad and was able to zoom fine. I'm running the ios6 update

gcbailey
10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
in my area you can't zoom in close enough to get accurate property line measurements, bing is 10x better around here (southern wv/va border)

ptjackson
10-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks all. Let me try and respond to everyone.

1. The web tool uses google maps, we went back and forth on what to use but ultimately google provided better tools. I know that in different areas different providers provide better maps. Maybe someday we can let you pick a map provider.

2. I'm looking into why the website might not work on the ipad/iphone.

3. There is an actual app (from the itunes store) that has this tool in it but apple pulled the rug out from us with the new maps (they suck). So we have a new app submitting to apple that will revert back to the google maps and let you zoom in.

Would a price/sq ft field be beneficial so it did the math for you or is that just clutter and you can do the math yourself?

FYI It's our plan to keep this tool free.

Jefflac02
10-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Works great on my iPad.

Dave does lawns
10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks all. Let me try and respond to everyone.

1. The web tool uses google maps, we went back and forth on what to use but ultimately google provided better tools. I know that in different areas different providers provide better maps. Maybe someday we can let you pick a map provider.
I would like to choose map provider
2. I'm looking into why the website might not work on the ipad/iphone.

3. There is an actual app (from the itunes store) that has this tool in it but apple pulled the rug out from us with the new maps (they suck). So we have a new app submitting to apple that will revert back to the google maps and let you zoom in.

Would a price/sq ft field be beneficial so it did the math for you or is that just clutter and you can do the math yourself?

FYI It's our plan to keep this tool free.
I would like to see smaller dots as the big dots make it hard to see where it is in a super tight setting.

corey4671
10-14-2012, 09:18 AM
In my area we can measure with the property assessor's website. Extremely accurate.
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
10-14-2012, 09:55 AM
You want the truth, Google employees took advantage of the Open Source definition and like many other money hungry corporate entities pretended to put out a piece of software they called Open Source that in reality was not, when the big G released the Android O/S it was a slap in the face to many a member of the Unix community to see what Google had done with not just the Unix Operating System but the Open Source definition. The rest of the world may have been fooled but those of us who have been into Unix since before Google folks thought up of themselves as total rulers of this earth and all computers, fooled for long we were not.

For a software, for any software to be Open Source its source has to be, as the very word implies, open to anyone... Meaning anybody can access the source code of the software and do whatever they want with it, that is Open Source and anything else is not, no matter how flimsly veiled in shrouds of corporate bullcrap if the source is not openly available then it is not Open Source.

And the Android Operating System can not be modified because its source code is not open.

By definition a software that is Open Source can be modified (and is thus free, if you can dig that, I understand this can be a difficult concept to understand for those of you wishing to make money off things that are free, but try sometime). The Android Operating System can only be modified through delicate and risky hacking (aka jailbreaking) and unless you wish to brick a phone is better thought of as proprietary, another smooth violation that, although not as blatant as the Open Source one, *nix denizens cry foul against anyone wishing to infiltrate the world of Unix systems in an attempt to profit from us.

The Unix system wasn't created for profit, like it or not, the harder they try the faster they fail, this world was created for folks who have no interest in spending money on code and you can come around and slip your tentacles into us all you want but you will find, as many before you have, that you still can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

And now...
You come along with some so-called "free" app?
You want to go there?

Do you want me to open up the can of worms I think the Google Play Store and their so-called "free" apps consist of?

I didn't think so, maybe in the future some of you can at least try not to call something free that isn't.

herler
10-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Actually there are some minor corrections as it does seem the definition of Open Source has been left to its own devices now that Google has assumed ownership, I suppose it is their baby and they can have it and everything that went with it, but the definition of free software (and what I used to call Open Source which apparently no longer is) does neither apply to this particular article...

Nor can a software be free without adhering to this set of rules:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program.
When users don't control the program, the program controls the users.
The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users.
This “proprietary” program is therefore an instrument of unjust power, and is not free.

Seems that perhaps the only resource now is to copyleft it.
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html

Weekend cut easymoney
10-14-2012, 04:41 PM
You want the truth, Google employees took advantage of the Open Source definition and like many other money hungry corporate entities pretended to put out a piece of software they called Open Source that in reality was not, when the big G released the Android O/S it was a slap in the face to many a member of the Unix community to see what Google had done with not just the Unix Operating System but the Open Source definition. The rest of the world may have been fooled but those of us who have been into Unix since before Google folks thought up of themselves as total rulers of this earth and all computers, fooled for long we were not.

For a software, for any software to be Open Source its source has to be, as the very word implies, open to anyone... Meaning anybody can access the source code of the software and do whatever they want with it, that is Open Source and anything else is not, no matter how flimsly veiled in shrouds of corporate bullcrap if the source is not openly available then it is not Open Source.

And the Android Operating System can not be modified because its source code is not open.

By definition a software that is Open Source can be modified (and is thus free, if you can dig that, I understand this can be a difficult concept to understand for those of you wishing to make money off things that are free, but try sometime). The Android Operating System can only be modified through delicate and risky hacking (aka jailbreaking) and unless you wish to brick a phone is better thought of as proprietary, another smooth violation that, although not as blatant as the Open Source one, *nix denizens cry foul against anyone wishing to infiltrate the world of Unix systems in an attempt to profit from us.

The Unix system wasn't created for profit, like it or not, the harder they try the faster they fail, this world was created for folks who have no interest in spending money on code and you can come around and slip your tentacles into us all you want but you will find, as many before you have, that you still can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

And now...
You come along with some so-called "free" app?
You want to go there?

Do you want me to open up the can of worms I think the Google Play Store and their so-called "free" apps consist of?

I didn't think so, maybe in the future some of you can at least try not to call something free that isn't.
So how much does it cost?
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
10-14-2012, 04:45 PM
So how much does it cost?
Posted via Mobile Device

And when are the open source Unix programmers going to make a free app that will be better?
Posted via Mobile Device

ptjackson
10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Maybe a better something to call it is "no cost" but most people understand free to be not to cost money.

Honestly my company believes in a "give before you get" mentality. Our developers built something that sometimes you'll find people charge for, in the hopes that if you like it you'll see what else we have. However, you can go to http://servicevines.com/jobs/measureit and never give us anything and we are fine with that. Just like you can search google and never click an ad.

Hopefully some people will find the tool or the iphone app useful and it might save them some time or money or both. It's important to me that we just don't come on here and say "pay us for this or that" but rather engage in the conversation where it makes sense.

@Dave Thanks for the feedback on the dots, I thought that too but hearing it from you sounds like we need to make them a little smaller.

mowerman90
12-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Love your app on the web but wish it was also available for Android. My wife has an iphone but I'm strickly an Android follower with phone and a Nexus 7 tablet. Your app would be extremely helpful to me in giving bids and getting fairly precise measurements for sod, mulch, etc. installs. This is the type of app I would gladly pay for. Do you have any plans to make the app for Android?

Kiril
12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Actually there are some minor corrections as it does seem the definition of Open Source has been left to its own devices now that Google has assumed ownership, I suppose it is their baby and they can have it and everything that went with it, but the definition of free software (and what I used to call Open Source which apparently no longer is) does neither apply to this particular article...

When did google take over the FSF and OSI?

captken
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
We have been using this tool for a few years now. It is also free. It is helpful to see the property from above and calculate the area.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

It looks like the same thing to me.

Richard Martin
12-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Can you make the map a little taller. It's more than plenty with length.

tonygreek
12-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Love your app on the web but wish it was also available for Android. My wife has an iphone but I'm strickly an Android follower with phone and a Nexus 7 tablet. Your app would be extremely helpful to me in giving bids and getting fairly precise measurements for sod, mulch, etc. installs. This is the type of app I would gladly pay for. Do you have any plans to make the app for Android?
ptjackson posted in the web sub-forum that they're grinding away on an Android App:

Have a guy who's working on nothing but Android now. HOPEFULLY before the end of the year.... But you know how that goes. :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4585315#post4585315