PDA

View Full Version : Mower Q's

Scagman 48
10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
hey guys i know the other guys dont like kids posting on here but ohh well, im 15 and have a few grass clients. I have out grown my tractor and looking a a bigger z turn preferably exmark or scag and anyone give me some info about both i really like the e-series exmark but the tiger cub seems nicer and another thing to take into account is i need a bagger and i do 1-4 acre houses.

Toro 455
10-13-2012, 08:33 AM
hey guys i know the other guys dont like kids posting on here but ohh well, im 15 and have a few grass clients.

One of the better posters we've had on Lawnsite was a kid your age. He called himself FrankenScagMachines because he'd modify his mowers. People would demand he post pics and he had quite a following.

As far as mower choices most love the Exmark deck. Because with Exmark there are no clippings to bag. It's pretty easy to sell the customer on mulching the clippings back into the enviroment because it's good for the turf.
At the worse you may have to make a second pass to disperse the clippings.

Talk to a dealer about letting you demo an Exmark on your heaviest lawn. If he won't take you serious, find a better dealer.

Not that I'm against Hustler, it's just nobody seems to match the Exmark's cut.

sehitchman
10-13-2012, 01:30 PM
If you are only bagging, yards that size. I think there are better choices than a traditional ZT. That would be a lot of work bagging that much using a Z.

Scagman 48
10-15-2012, 09:21 PM
One of the better posters we've had on Lawnsite was a kid your age. He called himself FrankenScagMachines because he'd modify his mowers. People would demand he post pics and he had quite a following.

As far as mower choices most love the Exmark deck. Because with Exmark there are no clippings to bag. It's pretty easy to sell the customer on mulching the clippings back into the enviroment because it's good for the turf.
At the worse you may have to make a second pass to disperse the clippings.

Talk to a dealer about letting you demo an Exmark on your heaviest lawn. If he won't take you serious, find a better dealer.

Not that I'm against Hustler, it's just nobody seems to match the Exmark's cut.

Yeah i feel the exmark is the better bet because of their customer care which to me scag is lacking. as far as bagging it would be bagged during fall and spring.

Church2224
10-16-2012, 03:41 PM
If you are only bagging, yards that size. I think there are better choices than a traditional ZT. That would be a lot of work bagging that much using a Z.

Agreed. Maybe a stander or a good walk behind might be what you need. Both Scag and Exmark make good versions of both. Also how big are the lawns you are mowing?

CL&T
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Nothing to add to your except that I have a lot of respect for you. At 15 you can't drive yet so how do you get all that from job to job? :walking:

Hawkshot99
10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Nothing to add to your except that I have a lot of respect for you. At 15 you can't drive yet so how do you get all that from job to job? :walking:

From when I was 10 till I had a license I mowed up to 18 lawns in my neighborhood. I had a trailer that I hooked to the back of my walk behind with my blower, trimmer and extras and drove right down the road to my jobs. Those were the days, when I didnt have to pay for a truck/trailer!

32vld
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
......................... im 15 and have a few grass clients................................ I have out grown my tractor and looking a a bigger z .............................................1-4 acre houses.

How much you charging for your work?

Can you afford to pay cash?

3 customers and you have out grown your mower?

How many acres total are you mowing?

How do you get to your customer's property's?

Moose's Mowing
10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
FWIW, I think either an Exmark or Scag would suit you fine. I have used both. but own all Scags. Customer service for me is irrelevant as I service my own junk and only buy used equipment. Scag frames are heavily built, but I feel their hydros could be beefed up a bit. The Scag deck cuts great in all grass types as long as the blades are sharp and the deck gets scraped each day. With mulching blades, the deck clogs and cut quality goes down hill fast. I'd assume all ztr's would suffer the same problems. Exmarks also cut great and built well. Both machines use the same engines and hydros for the most part. if they're not the same, they're very comparable.

I think you might be in for a shock with prices for a ztr with a bagger. even a used one will go for several thousand bucks. if your yards aren't huge, you should consider a walk behind from either Scag or Exmark. I run a 52" Wildcat and a 36" walk behind. The walk behinds are fairly productive, easy and cheap to maintain and be found on C-list for a decent price. I paid $1,000 for my belt drive WB. You can find 32" 48" 60" and 72" walk behinds which should be plenty productive if you don't mind walking. and you're young yet so you outta be fine. Kudos to the hard work and motivation you have. keep it up:cool2:

LandFakers
10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
You plan on buying new?!?! With 6 clients unfortunately I think that would be a bad idea. If you can afford a used exmark 60 with an ultra vac for $3500 I think you'd be way better off, that's if your dead set on getting a Z