PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer suggestions....

ron mexico75
10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
So, I'm in the very early stages of looking for a dump trailer. To be mainly used for moving mulch, top soil and leaf removal jobs down the road as I grow. Would want a leaf vac as well before getting into that but I just wanted to put that out there to maybe help with suggestions being given.

I have seen a few on craigslist as well as some new ones. Is this something that is better off being purchased new regardless? Or, is a used one ok as long as you know what you're looking at and what to look for?

Is there a big difference between a 10 fott and a 12 foot versus the obvious? Is one a lot better then the other kind of like a 6' ft pickup bed versus an 8' bed?

What are some of the good makers? I have seen ones made by Bri-Mar.

What exactly should I be looking for as far as a battery type, ramps, gate style, tire type/size? I have also seen some that have 2 hydro lifts versus just one.

Just as an example, here are 2 that I have seen recently;

This is for a NEW one.......

ON SALE THIS MONTH ONLY!! $5495.00 REG PRICE $5895.00
ONLY 1 AT THIS PRICE

TILMAN DUMP
DT6812-12LPE 3T

STANDARD EQUIPEMENT
 EMPTY WEIGHT 3000LBS
 GVW 12000LBS
 5" TUBE MAIN FRAME RAILS
 11 GAUGE FLOOR
 21" FIXED SIDES (14 GAUGE)
 DIAMOND PLATE FENDERS
 FULL HEIGHT STAKE POCKETS (11)
 FULL LENGTH RUB RAIL
 2-5/16" COUPLER
 5K TOP WIND JACK WITH FOOT
 HYDRAULIC PUMP WITH 15' REMOTE
 LOCKABLE BATTERY BOX W/GAS SHOCK
 7-WAY RV PLUG
 BREAKAWAY SWITCH
 LED LIGHTS
 EZ LUBE AXLES
 ELECTRIC BRAKES ON BOTH AXLES
 TIRE/WHEELS ST235/80R 16E
OPTIONS ON THIS UNIT INCLUDE

 BARNDOOR COMBO GATE
 BATTERY (27-CYCLE MARINE)
 RAMPS AND HARDWARE

We carry a full line of Well-Bilt(built in house),Haulmark,Look,Pace,bBig Tex and Venture boat trailers.
We are full service and do in house warranty,state inspection on all makes and models.
We can custom build or add on to your existing trailer.

This is one that is USED.......

im selling a 2000 dump trailer 10,000 pound bmar 6x10 works great. Only reason im selling is because i dont use it anymore . asking 3,700.

MDLawn
10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Get the largest one you can afford. I started with a 6x10 and ran out of room so fast. Now have a 7x14 and still think I should've gone with the 16 footer. Either way I still think that if you can scrounge up more money for the larger you'll be happier. Then if you ever need to haul a larger piece of equipment it will fit. Also my 6x10 could get about 5-6 yards of mulch with side boards. 14 ft has done 10 with room for more. Also on large landscape maintenance jobs the trimmings and edgings would fill that 10 footer to the edge. 14ft has also enabled me to carry different materials at once with easy loading for the skid steer driver at the nursery or loading yard. I created a divider to have two 7ft sections.

Scissor lifts are better but the dual cylinders are fine. My 14 ft only came with the scissor lift or single cylinder at the front which according to my manufactuer (Sure-Trac) is the strongest.

Then there is power up/power down or power up/gravity down. Both of mine have been gravity down and I like that the going down is much quicker and doesn't use the battery to do so. Also if the batter should die the body will still come down with gravity down.

Get EVERYTHING. Multi function gate, ramps, adjustable coupler, etc...

There are also drop axle vs straight axle. Drop axle is easier equipment loading whereas I went with the straight axle to easily load my wheelbarrows with mulch/stone/topsoil. There are deck overs too that are much higher for easier "pile" dumping and wheelbarrow loading but not so equipment friendly. Some deck overs have drop down sides for pallet loading. I almost bit on a 14ft deck over with drop down sides but the price was about $2k more than the one I picked up!!

Again I'd rather be "Wow I have a lot of space leftover" vs. needing to make 2trips. Just my thoughts.

As a side note my 14footer was a 14k GVWR with a 10,400lb capacity. I had to have the factory send me a derated label to 13,200 because with my dually I would have been over 26k combinded needing a CDL which I do not possess. Again I have a new certification label not a registration adjustment.

Good luck in the search!

KrayzKajun
10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Get the biggest you can afford and pull. I had a 12fter sold it a week after i bought it. Had a 16' gooseneck, used for about 8mnths then sold it buy my 18' dual tandem gooseneck. I actually have a load of 12yds of soil in it right now. With a smaller trailer i would have spent all day hauling soil.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Well some great replies really appreciate those details responses. Gives me some things to think about.

I guess what you all are saying is look further into the future then just short-term. I'm just a small single operation. However I guess since I might be spending thousands of dollars I should get something that's going to last a while.

So I guess with all those specifics to think about it would be better to buy new versus used?
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm looking too and will probably go used just to save on the price of new. For the most part its a trailer and not much can go wrong like a used truck vs new
Posted via Mobile Device

ParkWelding
10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Yup, biggest you can afford, and that your truck will pull. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a deck over that was at least 14', preferably 16'. Then built my own ramps ( longer ) to load equipment easier. I thought I would be 90% hauling equipment/10% hauling material. It ended up the opposite and it sucks having the bed height the same or lower than your wheelbarrows, and not being able to dump a good pile.

Or just have two....

MDLawn
10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Yup, biggest you can afford, and that your truck will pull. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a deck over that was at least 14', preferably 16'. Then built my own ramps ( longer ) to load equipment easier. I thought I would be 90% hauling equipment/10% hauling material. It ended up the opposite and it sucks having the bed height the same or lower than your wheelbarrows, and not being able to dump a good pile.

Or just have two....

I feel the same way. The deck over is VERY multipurpose. I'd like a dump truck or insert. That way one is high and one is lower. Easier said than done quite yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
My dump trailer is sitting. My S/A dump gets used and Im getting a 1 ton next year so I think I might sell the Load Trail. Park, You still want it?

PerfectEarth
10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
That Tillman looks exactly like my Bri-mar!! Dump trailers are the best things ever. All landscapers should have one.

Nothing to add that others have not said. Get 12' long at least, stay away from the weak single cylinder lifts, stick with dual or scissor lift.... something low profile (easy to work out of)... get built-in ramps

And make sure you can haul it and STOP it! If getting one over 10,000 lbs GVWR, watch that you're not towing it with anything that in combo pushes you over 26,000 GCWR... that's CDL territory- I had to get one with my 19,000 lb F550 and a 12,000 GVWR Bri-mar.... if I had got an even 10,000 lb trailer, I'd have been fine, but I don't regret it at all.

MDLawn
10-16-2012, 07:00 AM
PerfectEarth, did you do the CDL with your truck & trailer combo? Or did you get it before the purchase? Contemplating just doing it so if I wanted to step into a 450-550 with the dump trailer I could.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm starting to look too and the only thing I have decided on now is I definitely want a goose neck...

ron mexico75
10-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Well it seems you really need to know your trucks numbers along with trailer numbers if you plan on carrying a lot of weight. Im kind of confused now that I'm looking at different size trailers.

Just as an example, I googled "deck over dump trailers." From what some guys have posted here, that type seems to be the best due to the height of the deck for dumping or wheelbarrowing stuff out of it. At any rate, I came across this chart. My mind says that the longer the trailer the more it can hold. The more it can hold the heavier the weight. So why is it that some of the shorter length trailers can haul more weight? Take for example the first trailer versus the third trailer in this chart......

MDLawn
10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
The trailer itself weighs more as it is 7ft wide vs 6ft and is probably the start of the heavy duty line of their trailers. Thicker frames maybe?

With the deckover version of my trailer 7x14 vs 8x14 14k the payload is about 400# less. It has a wider bed so it just weighs more.

Deckover weights 4140lbs

Standard low profile 3600lbs

So it just depends on how the trailer is made up. A heavy duty trailer will probably take abuse better if it does have a thicker frame and more heavy duty parts. The light duty version may also have smaller lift cylinders too. Just get all the details before you buy.

ron mexico75
10-16-2012, 10:59 AM
The trailer itself weighs more as it is 7ft wide vs 6ft and is probably the start of the heavy duty line of their trailers. Thicker frames maybe?

With the deckover version of my trailer 7x14 vs 8x14 14k the payload is about 400# less. It has a wider bed so it just weighs more.

Deckover weights 4140lbs

Standard low profile 3600lbs

So it just depends on how the trailer is made up. A heavy duty trailer will probably take abuse better if it does have a thicker frame and more heavy duty parts. The light duty version may also have smaller lift cylinders too. Just get all the details before you buy.

Yeah I thought about that after posting so Im glad you said that too.

I came across these trailer made by CAM Superline. They appear to be made very well. In fact, I think I have seen a lot of this brand around construction sites hauling backhoes and such.

Anyways, look at the PDF and compare trailer #3 to trailer #4. The exact same size, same axle capacity, 60 pound weight difference but #4 can carry 780 more pounds. That's where I'm confused. The GVWR is also a difference of 1,870 pounds.

Duffster
10-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah I thought about that after posting so Im glad you said that too.

I came across these trailer made by CAM Superline. They appear to be made very well. In fact, I think I have seen a lot of this brand around construction sites hauling backhoes and such.

Anyways, look at the PDF and compare trailer #3 to trailer #4. The exact same size, same axle capacity, 60 pound weight difference but #4 can carry 780 more pounds. That's where I'm confused. The GVWR is also a difference of 1,870 pounds.

They added aboot 12% toungue weight to the GVWR of #4.

EW difference might be a difference in the jack or something similiar. Or it was simply a different weight when they weighed a sample trailer.

MDLawn
10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Larger wheels & tires that may have more capacity....?

ron mexico75
10-16-2012, 12:24 PM
eh, who knows.

Basically from what you all have said I should be looking at; 12 feet long minimum not 10 feet, deck over body so you can load a wheelbarrow at the back edge, dual hydro cylinders or scissor lift with single hydro, dual use gate.

MDLawn
10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
eh, who knows.

Basically from what you all have said I should be looking at; 12 feet long minimum not 10 feet, deck over body so you can load a wheelbarrow at the back edge, dual hydro cylinders or scissor lift with single hydro, dual use gate.

My "Low Profile" loads fine. The wheel barrows just squeak underneath. It really depends on the use. If you do so much work that requires you hauling pallets then yes deck over fold down side is where its at for loading. Either way you'll be fine. If you were loading a piece of equipment everyday a drop axle lower deck height would be better. Thats why I went in between, because I wasn't sure. But yes 12ft+, heavy duty version, I'd say scissor lift but it's just my belief they are stronger. Also think about power up/power down vs. power up/gravity down. I just prefer gravity down.

Cam is a good brand along with Bri-Mar. But so are others and there are also junk ones. Price will tell you that when most new heavy duty trailers are in the $7K+ mark. I've been quite impressed with my Sure-Trac and there are on TON of them around my neck of the woods.

Good luck searching!

ron mexico75
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
My "Low Profile" loads fine. The wheel barrows just squeak underneath. It really depends on the use. If you do so much work that requires you hauling pallets then yes deck over fold down side is where its at for loading. Either way you'll be fine. If you were loading a piece of equipment everyday a drop axle lower deck height would be better. Thats why I went in between, because I wasn't sure. But yes 12ft+, heavy duty version, I'd say scissor lift but it's just my belief they are stronger. Also think about power up/power down vs. power up/gravity down. I just prefer gravity down.

Cam is a good brand along with Bri-Mar. But so are others and there are also junk ones. Price will tell you that when most new heavy duty trailers are in the $7K+ mark. I've been quite impressed with my Sure-Trac and there are on TON of them around my neck of the woods.

Good luck searching!

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Duffster
10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Larger wheels & tires that may have more capacity....?

See post 15.

MDLawn
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I see that but the wheels and tires are larger thus probably offering more capacity. Either way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
I see that but the wheels and tires are larger thus probably offering more capacity. Either way.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's got nothing to do with wheels and tires.

If the axle rating is 6k the axle rating is 6k.

It goes back to the stupid idea that a trailers GWVR has to be the sum of the axle ratings. Some companies have wised up and stated the GVWR the sum of the axle ratings plus TW as it should be. Yet they stil offer the old GVWR too.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-16-2012, 11:06 PM
cam adds tongue weight into gvw i have the 7 ton tag thats got 8 ton gvw

MDLawn
10-17-2012, 11:14 AM
If the axle rating is 6k the axle rating is 6k.

Yes, this is true......:hammerhead:

Duffster
10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, this is true......:hammerhead:

Exactly.

If the wheels and tires on one made a difference then they both wouldn't have the same axle rating. ;)

The concept of adding TW to axle rating to get GVWR escapes you don't it?

MDLawn
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Just odd but I've noticed that with CamSuperline. They would have a trailer with 2 6k axles but be rated for a little over 13,000lbs rather than 12,000. I guess the trailer would have a 1200lb tongue weight for a 13,200lb rating I guess??
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
MDLawn- I had the trailer first, then got the truck, THEN realized my booboo... never drove them together for 7-8 months cause I was paranoid of getting pulled over! So then I got my CDL.

The first time I drove them combined on roads, was when I went to take the test! Lol

(I practiced parking and backing in the lot at my old shop)

MDLawn
10-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm under CDL for now but I've been thinking of jUst getting it done. Then I have it and won't have to worry about a higher combo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Just odd but I've noticed that with CamSuperline. They would have a trailer with 2 6k axles but be rated for a little over 13,000lbs rather than 12,000. I guess the trailer would have a 1200lb tongue weight for a 13,200lb rating I guess??
Posted via Mobile Device

:drinkup: :hammerhead:

TriCountyLawn
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Whats class CDL do you have to get ? And you can test with your truck and trailer? I too am close to getting a dump trailer and want the biggest I can get within reason.

Duffster
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Whats class CDL do you have to get ? And you can test with your truck and trailer? I too am close to getting a dump trailer and want the biggest I can get within reason.

Class A. And ya you can test with a truck and trailer.

TriCountyLawn
10-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Class A. And ya you can test with a truck and trailer.

I guess I always assumed the class A was for semi trucks..or you had to at least test in a big truck or something like that.

MDLawn
10-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I wonder if I could take the test in my 12,600lb F350 and 14k derated from the factory to 13,200lb dump trailer. Puts me at 25,800 or what would have been 26,600 GCWR.

alldayrj
10-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I wonder if I could take the test in my 12,600lb F350 and 14k derated from the factory to 13,200lb dump trailer. Puts me at 25,800.
I think u just answered your own question.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I think u just answered your own question.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey man a guy can hope.......

alldayrj
10-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Can you borrow a 450 or bigger trailer from someone
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
10-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I guess I always assumed the class A was for semi trucks..or you had to at least test in a big truck or something like that.

Class A is for semi trucks. And for for combo over 26k where the trailer is over 10k.

Duffster
10-19-2012, 05:26 PM
I wonder if I could take the test in my 12,600lb F350 and 14k derated from the factory to 13,200lb dump trailer. Puts me at 25,800 or what would have been 26,600 GCWR.

No. There is a reason why it was derated.

ParkWelding
10-19-2012, 05:51 PM
No. There is a reason why it was derated.

If you read the thread, he requested it from the manufacturer. I thought the CDL police would have caught that.

MDLawn
10-19-2012, 07:01 PM
If you read the thread, he requested it from the manufacturer. I thought the CDL police would have caught that.

My tag on the trailer reads 13,200 not 14,000. So it's rated at 13,200. They gave a new VIN label that states this. So the trailer and my truck are under CDL because the labels say so.
Posted via Mobile Device

newguy123
10-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd have to echo what a lot have already said. Get the biggest one you can afford, you'll always want more space/room in the future. I would assume the 12 footer would have the weight balanced and distributed better.

Duffster
10-19-2012, 07:56 PM

No sh1t sherlock.

The rig is under CDL so why could it be used to be a CDL.? :rolleyes:

ParkWelding
10-19-2012, 08:57 PM
My tag on the trailer reads 13,200 not 14,000. So it's rated at 13,200. They gave a new VIN label that states this. So the trailer and my truck are under CDL because the labels say so.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wasn't referring to you with that. I was referring to duffster, who is apparently the self appointed CDL and GVWR police on this site, possibly missing a detail of this thread.

MDLawn
10-20-2012, 06:35 AM
I wasn't referring to you with that. I was referring to duffster, who is apparently the self appointed CDL and GVWR police on this site, possibly missing a detail of this thread.

Ha!! Nice!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
10-21-2012, 07:21 AM

I didn't miss anyhing.

Now you are missing something apparently.

Duffster
10-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Well D.A. What supposed detail do you think I missed? :rolleyes: