PDA

View Full Version : My new putting green.

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Just to make life just as complicated when I got home at night this past summer.

PerfectEarth
10-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Awesome. Get some more up close pics. Do you have a greensmower? What type bentgrass?

cgaengineer
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Looks really nice...I don't play golf but have thought about building one.
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
My wife wants me to put one in the back yard. Got any details for installation?

macgyver_GA
10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
That's pretty cool!

Before you know it, you're gonna have neighbors chipping balls into your backyard.

cgaengineer
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM

There's a website and I'll post a link for it in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
L-93 creeping bent mowed with a 1950's Ransomes push greensmower. Can't seem to upload more pics. What's with that?

cgaengineer
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Use photobucket instead of forum upload
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM

I've built USGA spec putting greens- it's pretty involved (I suppose it can be done old-school, but USGA is the best)

You have to excavate out the putting green (shell it out), install subsurface herringbone-style drainage, pea gravel layer, greens mix layer (sand and peat mixed 80/20) about 12-15 inches deep, and then seed and grow-in.... which is a whole other process.

That's just a rough description... it's fun, but not easy.

PerfectEarth
10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
L-93 creeping bent mowed with a 1950's Ransomes push greensmower.

That's great!

...should have gone with A-4 though... ;);)

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I've built USGA spec before and it would have been nice but I didn't have the budget for that so I went with how they did it back in the days of yore. Hacked it to the nubs with the lawnboy then a few tons of course sand, seed and water. Rolls great and I have some nice natural breaks. It's rolling about a ten right now but have a few scalps to nurse in before the snow flies.

I need to photobucket I guess.

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:53 PM
That's great!

...should have gone with A-4 though... ;);)

I know but my supplier had the L by the pound to save money instead of buying a 25 lb bag. L supposedly the best for d-spot and brown patch resistance also.

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks really nice...I don't play golf but have thought about building one.
Posted via Mobile Device

It makes a great landscape feature. It's a blast to get friends together and hit balls into and putt out for money. Proceeds go to charity of course. lol!

Hineline
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM

There are so many ways to do this and I chose the cheapest. Mow out a spot to the nubs, broom in a couple tons of course sand, seed and water the piss out of it.

larryinalabama
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I've built USGA spec before and it would have been nice but I didn't have the budget for that so I went with how they did it back in the days of yore. Hacked it to the nubs with the lawnboy then a few tons of course sand, seed and water. Rolls great and I have some nice natural breaks. It's rolling about a ten right now but have a few scalps to nurse in before the snow flies.

I need to photobucket I guess.

10 is preet cool for a backyard green. Ive looked into artificial greens but not much time for golf or home maintance anymore...

Congrats!!!

PerfectEarth
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I know but my supplier had the L by the pound to save money instead of buying a 25 lb bag. L supposedly the best for d-spot and brown patch resistance also.

Ah, makes sense. Yea, if you've never seen bent seed before, it's quite a thing! you probably needed like .75 lb, right? lol

At my old estate job, we had 4 backyard USGA greens, three were L93 and the last one we built was A4... all very nice grass. Never a speck of dollar on any of it. Do you backpack any fungicides?

Hineline
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
10 is preet cool for a backyard green. Ive looked into artificial greens but not much time for golf or home maintance anymore...

Congrats!!!
I'm married to the thing between mowing, topdressing, watering and of course the fun part which is working on my game. Keeps me out of the stripper bars though lol!

Hineline
10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Ah, makes sense. Yea, if you've never seen bent seed before, it's quite a thing! you probably needed like .75 lb, right? lol

At my old estate job, we had 4 backyard USGA greens, three were L93 and the last one we built was A4... all very nice grass. Never a speck of dollar on any of it. Do you backpack any fungicides?

I've probably been through 5-8 lbs with the amount of re-seeding to fill in spots.

I have sprayed some Trinity but I had to put out some Pillar G after I got hit with pythium during the hurricane soupy air we had the first of Sept.

I topdressed over the weekend but forgot to raise my mower which was a bit low. Between the beating of the topdressing and then cutting it to low afterwards it really set it back. I have been spraying urea to get it to snap out of it.

RussellB
10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. That will be my winter/spring project.

Hineline
10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. That will be my winter/spring project.
Sprig Champion bermuda. Do you have a decent sized lot or will this be off the patio? If you golf try to give yourself plenty of room to hit practice balls into it. I have three different types of foam and rubber coated foam balls I use to hit and the Almost ball is incredible. It flies about 1/3 the distance of a real ball and flies and feels just like a real ball. My short game is stellar because of the practice!