PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Also a question for you all.

agdman
10-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi! So glad to finally be a part of this community. Based in central Kentucky, bought a company mid-August from my brother who has moved on to different things.

My question is, do any of you all have accounts who you lose money/break even on that you would never consider dropping because you enjoy the customer/yard? My favorite account has the best grass of any of my accounts and although the yard is priced appropriately, I end up spending 10-20 minutes talking to the customer every time I mow. I happily do extras but as far as I'm concerned it is one of the costs of enjoying what I'm doing.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

GreenI.A.
10-18-2012, 03:17 AM
none I do for free or at a loss because I enjoy it. But I have taken on customers at a loss because we simply wanted the property for a marketting standpoint, such as a corner lot into a subdevelopment, or an a busy corner with a lot of passing traffic. In those cases we give the our normal price and then on a seperate line we apply the discount for them allowing us to use lawn signs etc. But doiing it at a loss because you enjoy the lawn makes no sense. You might as well walk up to the door, hand the customer cash to walk through the property.

agdman
10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Hmm. Interesting to hear different opinions. When I say at a loss, I mean opportunity cost. Probably make 75% my going rate when it is all said and done on this property. I'm solo and to me it is almost equivalent to taking a long lunch once a week. I get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the property, and it keeps me happy doing what I'm doing.

RiggitanoLandscape
10-18-2012, 11:07 PM
It's not about one lawn it's about the whole business, that customer could one day give you the best referral in your life then it will be worth every minute. I have got some properties that are a pain to do but got over 10,000.00 worth of landscape referrals from it, so now we do one month of grass cutting for free so i can get some more 10,000.00 landscape jobs

OakNut
10-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I have one that is a huge pain to mow. It's 90% hilly and broken into multiple, irregularly shaped sections by flowerbeds.
I underbid it because I was inexperienced at quoting. I trudged through the first season and thought about dropping them this year (because I know they will not pay more), but after having purchased a walk behind, I was able to complete it a little more quickly, and decided to "keep" them.

The property is in a semi-wealthy area on a heavily traveled "shortcut" side road and there are a lot of local dog-walkers that see my truck and my lawn signs. (placed out while mowing) The exposure is the only reason I'm still there.

That said, I've decided to drop them next season. I've picked up other accounts nearby and can now get "exposure" while being paid what I should be paid.

Chilehead
10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
I used to have properties that were a loss, but now they all pull a profit.