PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

NikoS
10-19-2012, 04:22 PM
This is my first house and I have been working on redoing the yard and was curious as to some professional opinions on it? The capstones on the wall still need to be mortared after I decide on a veneer stone. Your criticism is welcome, Thanks!

NikoS
10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Here is a few before and during construction pics.

Thanks

RussellB
10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Congrats on the new house and you have done a fantastic job transforming the backyard.

DVS Hardscaper
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
The hardscape looks nice.

The landscape design is very very very bland.

No plantings?

No color?

No layers?

No textures?

NikoS
10-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments.

About the bland landscaping? I still haven't decided on all the plants as of yet. I have been doing it in small steps and trying to decide as I go on.

The planting beds are for vegetables and flowers and the rear fence has small 5 foot Fern podocarpus planted to block out neighbors views (in the future) along the fence lines are Laurel Prunus caroliniana (1 gallon) and star jasmine growing up the pergola. The four corners of the lawn are olive trees with japanese boxwoods. I think that covers all the evergreens. Now I can fill in all the blanks with the layers and textures of color and flowering plants. Suggestions would be awesome.

By the way, I am located in Temecula, Ca.

Thanks!

alexschultz1
10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Honestly, for a homeowner, you did very nice work. It seems like a great space to entertain. Very symmetrical. It's time to put in some landscape lights! Lmk if you need some advice

NikoS
10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Honestly, for a homeowner, you did very nice work. It seems like a great space to entertain. Very symmetrical. It's time to put in some landscape lights! Lmk if you need some advice

Appreciate it! We actually just had our first party in the backyard and we were able to accomodate 30+ people very comfortably and received a ton of compliments. I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Are you a homeowner? Looks way better than I would expect!! Honestly looks like you were on one of those shows where the host met you at a lowes and followed you home!

As DVS said, work on the landscaping part of the job

NikoS
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Are you a homeowner? Looks way better than I would expect!! Honestly looks like you were on one of those shows where the host met you at a lowes and followed you home!

As DVS said, work on the landscaping part of the job

Yes, my first home. Thanks for the comments and I can't wait to get the landscaping all done to finish it all up.
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
10-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Looks very nice to me!

I don't know much about California landscape plants, but as other have said- get some color and texture pops in there! Keep a nice informal theme going around the perimeter and something more formal in the squared off areas.

Great work!

DVS Hardscaper
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
The trick to color and texture and layers is by use of perennials.

This is one area many landscaper contractors fail miserably. A well done landscape will almost always include perennials. Making perennials compliment one another is the key. And picking perennials so you always have color rotating throughout the year is another component of perennial use/selection.
Posted via Mobile Device

NikoS
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM
The trick to color and texture and layers is by use of perennials.

This is one area many landscaper contractors fail miserably. A well done landscape will almost always include perennials. Making perennials compliment one another is the key. And picking perennials so you always have color rotating throughout the year is another component of perennial use/selection.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks perfectearth!

DVS, thanks for the information. I am zone 9b so my options for perrenials are pretty much lavender, sage, grasses, etc. Those have pretty much what I have been looking at. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device