PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on driving a 8LL trans?

mrusk
10-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Long story short, I bought a 2005 Pete 335 roll off truck. Has a 300hp cat with a 8LL transmission. I never drove a manual transmission in a car or truck before. Only bikes and quads.

The truck was delivered Monday and today was the first time driving it. Luckily park in a big complex and have plenty of space to practice. I had a truck driver with explain the basics with me. He spent around a half hour with me. I didn't do to well driving around the lot with him. Hes able to shift all the gears with out touching the clutch. Where I am struggling to to not grind gears with the clutch.

Luckily, i'm not easily discouraged. I know practice is everything, but what tips can you guys give me?

Thanks

CLARK LAWN
10-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm assuming that is a none synchronized trans, if it is NEVER push the clutch to the floor with the truck moving. You will destroy the clutch brake and have a hell of a time getting it into gear after that. You also need to double clutch to shift until you can shift with out the clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
10-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Float the gears, I've done it a few times in my own Jeep, it's a combination of backing off the throttle a hair and getting the next gear and matching the engine speed to the next gear.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
10-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Rpm's are everything.

BrandonV
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
You only clutch first!!!! As for tips, dont coast stay in gear and practice.

ma71t
10-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Damn.......nice truck.

44DCNF
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Read the manual. If it has break in oil installed from factory, make sure to have it changed out when it says, in a timely fashion. If it is spec'd for synthetic use a synthetic of the grade it calls for. Don't let someone put another oil in it because that is what they are used to and think it'is better because their grandfather used it. Fulller RTO 146-13 for example spec'd synthetics of 50 weight because non synthetic gear lube was hard on certain parts and was found to caused accelerated wear. A company I worked for thought they knew better than what Fuller had researched and called for. They used 80w-90 GL and it damaged said components.

And follow what Clark says.

Don't let a hack adjust your clutch brake or clutch. Makee sure you choose a mechanic that knows his onions. Keep linkage greased properly. Don't over greae any zerk that leads into the bell housing. I am thinking of the Fuller set up on a Ford; yours may be diff.
Dont ride with your foot touching or slightly depressing the clutch pedal at the top of it's travel. If you've driven sticks before that's a given.

You will find times when you need to clutch other than starting out and may do so. A quick double clutch will be your friend in those times. Soft ground, pulling heavy load up a grade, etc.

ksss
10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
If your not used to driving a truck tranny and this is your first the 8LL will be fine. What I struggled with is being used to a typical H pattern where you go up and down through the grears. The 8LL goes from 3-4 right next to each other. That kicked my ass when I wasn't paying attention to the pattern. I sold that 8LL truck and so its not an issue now. Having the super low tranny is nice for a construction truck.

Cornell
10-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Sharp looking rig

sbrem
10-21-2012, 04:20 PM
If your not used to driving a truck tranny and this is your first the 8LL will be fine. What I struggled with is being used to a typical H pattern where you go up and down through the grears. The 8LL goes from 3-4 right next to each other. That kicked my ass when I wasn't paying attention to the pattern. I sold that 8LL truck and so its not an issue now. Having the super low tranny is nice for a construction truck.

Most 8LLs actually have the regular H pattern, but some have the backwards patten that you are talking about. A company that I used to work for had 4 trucks with 8LLs, two had the regular pattern and two had the backwards pattern. Could make going between the different trucks a little confusing.

AEL
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Don't forget about the hidden gear on the 8ll!
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
10-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't forget about the hidden gear on the 8ll!
Posted via Mobile Device

The secret 5th gear great when running M-T

bobcat_ron
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
The secret 5th gear great when running M-T

That's what we call the "goofy hole", for rolling stops in town!

knox gsl
10-21-2012, 09:00 PM
On my old 13 speed you could pull off in it without a trailer.

fordsrule
10-21-2012, 11:31 PM
The trick to driving that truck and float shifting it is to shift around 1500 every gear. You will get the feel for it empty. Take your time and practice with the truck empty. Learn the upshift points and then down shifting you will reverse it. I learned how to drive a non syncro tranny with a 13 spd, but i had experience with manuals in cars. Like others said when shifting with the clutch do not push it all the way to floor. Half way down you should feel the shifter lever feel lighter and fall out of gear.

ioilyouin
10-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Stick to double clutching until you get really comfortable, then try your hand at clutchless shifting. How many miles on the truck?

ksss
10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Most 8LLs actually have the regular H pattern, but some have the backwards patten that you are talking about. A company that I used to work for had 4 trucks with 8LLs, two had the regular pattern and two had the backwards pattern. Could make going between the different trucks a little confusing.

Good to know. I just assumed all 8LL's were like that.