PDA

View Full Version : New ram 1500's

rungreen
10-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Been looking at 2012 and 13 models, never owned a dodge. Looks much nicer than my 08 chevy. Have always herd front end were the weak point just wondering what people thought of them that have newer ones

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Ask GoldPro.. I know heh as a pipe of dodges. And Im pretty sure Krazy Kajun has a '11 or '12 Dodge

birddseedd
10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
i like my 04 dodge. dont like torsion bar suspension on any truck tho

birddseedd
10-22-2012, 10:56 PM
oh. and ALWAYS get a limited slip diff. no matter the truck

CLS LLC
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
oh. and ALWAYS get a limited slip diff. no matter the truck

And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.

birddseedd
10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
And then buy stock in the tire company of your choice because you're going to eat tires. When I bought my limited slip dodge 2500 a friend warned me that it goes through tires quick and I thought he was full of it... I get about 10K miles out of a set of tires before they are down too far to make it through a winter plowing.

Don't get me wrong, I do like having the limited slip, especially for plowing but it is exclusively a work truck. My daily driver doesn't have it and I'm just fine with that seeing as how I get about 40k miles out of a set of tires on that truck.

I would guess they were either real soft performance tires, or you had a bad set. i never go threw tires like that. course, i dont drive like alot of guys. i take it easy when i drive, saves gas and wear on the truck. the only time my tires skid is if im on gravel. limited slip isnt like a locking diff or 4wd. if you drive easy, your wheel wont skid and you wont lose rubber.

to my best understanding. but i sure dont go threw tires. frankly any tire that only gets 10-15k has something wrong with it, or they are super performance tires.

either way. limited slip every time, i dont like getting stuck pulling 5k lbs of sod threw mud.

cgaengineer
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Tundra...can be had with a diff lock.
Posted via Mobile Device

birddseedd
10-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Tundra...can be had with a diff lock.
Posted via Mobile Device

what kinda lock?

clydebusa
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
The dealers in Tulsa are making some smoking deals on Ram trucks!

birddseedd
10-24-2012, 06:34 PM
i kinda woudl like to get a new truck. i cannot refinance this one. but proally caint get a newer one either :(

ztman
10-24-2012, 06:36 PM

try the goodyear dura trac. awesome tire

CLS LLC
10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I would guess they were either real soft performance tires, or you had a bad set. i never go threw tires like that. course, i dont drive like alot of guys. i take it easy when i drive, saves gas and wear on the truck. the only time my tires skid is if im on gravel. limited slip isnt like a locking diff or 4wd. if you drive easy, your wheel wont skid and you wont lose rubber.

to my best understanding. but i sure dont go threw tires. frankly any tire that only gets 10-15k has something wrong with it, or they are super performance tires.

either way. limited slip every time, i dont like getting stuck pulling 5k lbs of sod threw mud.

The tires are General Graber AT2's, a good quality all terrain tire, by no means a performance tire.

You're not entirely correct on your under standing of a limited slip differential. In a standard clutch type limited slip, such as Dodge uses, the differential must over come a certain amount of torque preload before the tires can turn at different rates of speed. Before that torque amount is met, the tires are resisting a differential in speed, thus increasing tire wear. All manufactures set up their differentials with a different amount of torque required before differential action can take place.

A torsen differential on the other hand works all together differently, and in those the tires don't need to over come a torque preload before rotating at different speeds.

If you are interested in a better understanding of differentials, more information can be found here: http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/diffs.cfm

CLS LLC
10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
try the goodyear dura trac. awesome tire

I'll have to look into them. This time I went with Treadwright Warden A/T's. They are retread's, but have many positive reviews. With how fast I go through tires on my work truck, I had to find something more reasonably priced. We'll see how it goes with them.

dstifel
10-24-2012, 09:40 PM
With the new 1500's supposedly getting 25mpgs i am going to be looking at one this spring. I have a dodge now and love it never seems to lack power no matter what i am pulling.

tbambersvc
10-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Dealers around here are offering new Ram's for $10k plus off the sticker. They are nice trucks for sure.

precision8m
10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
I love the Ram trucks. The new ones look great. I would bump up to a 2500 Cummins if I were you and love the better mileage and towing capabilities, but the 1500's are nice.

32vld
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM

I have an 05 jeep TJ, 83,000 miles, limited slip rear, original tires. 01 GMC Suburban, 111,000 miles, limited slip, 68,000 first set of tires. 2nd set still going strong.

32vld
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
what kinda lock?

Open rear all torque goes to the wheel that turns the easiest. Thus one wheel on ice spins and you go no where.

Limited slip both wheels get power when one wheel starts to lose traction so the non slipping wheel still gets power and should drive you through the bad spot mud/snow/ice/sand/dirt/whatever.

With a limited slip if the one wheel is spinning the other wheel getting power does not have enough traction to move, you will go no where, then you press on the gas more which causes the limited slip rear to act as an open rear, all the power goes to one wheel and you will just spin a tire.

Low speed low torque the rear acts as it is locked. High enough torque and the rear acts as if its an open rear.

Locked rear or locker can be permanent full time but can not be used on pavement only for off road applications.

Or can be made to be turned on or off as needed. When unlocked the rear acts as a open rear. Or locked as a locked rear. Locked means no matter how much gas you give power goes to both wheels all the time.

This is why a locked rear is used off road. On dirt/sand if slippage has to occur the tires will slip in the dirt.

birddseedd
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
iv been told when you are in that situation with a limited slip you can press the brake and both will spin again. at that point ur not getting traction on either wheel and ur kinda screwed anyway.

32vld
10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Reason when going in a straight line both rear wheels are turning at the same speed. Because both wheels are covering the same distance at the same speed.

When turning the outside wheel has to cover more distance then the inside wheel. Open rear differential (clue as to why it's called a differential) is that when making turns the wheels have to be able to turn/revolve at different speeds. Other wise the tire that does not keep up with the axle will be dragged forward by the axle to keep up with the other wheel. Tires resist being dragged on pavement.

Limited slip rears will let the wheels turn at different speed when turning, acting as an open rear. Then will not let the wheels slip so both wheels get power when going straight because both wheels are turning at the same speed.

When tires start to lose traction the limited slip mechanism will try to keep the rear acting as if it was a locked rear and both wheels get power. However if enough gas is given the limited slip mechancism will allow rear to act as an open diff then all power goes to one wheel. One wheel spins and you go no where.

This is why limited slip is no where as good as 4wd. Though a lot better then an open differential.

Permanent locked rear. When on dirt and the rear is locked so both wheels have to turn at a different speed the slower outside wheel/tire will slip in the dirt easily as it is being dragged to keep up with the faster moving inside wheel/tire. When going straight or turning and you open throttle wide both wheels will always get power no matter what.

Jeeps and I sure there are others that have locked/lockers differentials that can be turned off an act as an open diff when on the road and can be locked by the flip of a switch for when off road. Jeep has front and rear lockers that can be turned on and off.

Yes you can drive on a snow covered road with the diff's locked because the tires will be able to be break traction enough with the snow to get dragged when the tires are being turned at different speeds.

However plowing with a locked rear is not good because the trucks wheels are behind the plow on pavement that has had the snow removed.

32vld
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
iv been told when you are in that situation with a limited slip you can press the brake and both will spin again. at that point ur not getting traction on either wheel and ur kinda screwed anyway.

Yes I have heard of doing that with open rears as well. Lightly touch your brake pedal or lighly put on the emergency brakes.

So I have tried those things and found them to not really make much difference.

birddseedd
10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes I have heard of doing that with open rears as well. Lightly touch your brake pedal or lighly put on the emergency brakes.

I only tried it once, i would have to agree. when you are stuck enough a limited slip has no effect, you are really really stuck

cgaengineer
10-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Because it would depend on which wheel receives more braking...

An open diff with a locker is best.
Posted via Mobile Device

birddseedd
10-25-2012, 07:25 PM
i agree with the other guy. locking diff is useless on the road. you would rip out the gears as your tires are always on cleared pavement and would not slip.

birddseedd
10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
not to mention the ford ones are annoying as you have to get out, dig threw hte snow/mud to lock them. newer ones might be electronic.

locking with limited slip would be best. dunno if it exists tho

LarryF
10-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Dealers around here are offering new Ram's for $10k plus off the sticker. They are nice trucks for sure.

Hey Tom,
I sent you a PM asking you to ID these NJ dealers, but I guess you didn't see it. $10K is a big mark-down, and I might be able to take advantage or it. So if possible, would you share that information with me?

tbambersvc
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
PM'd you back Larry.

birddseedd
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I dont get a pm?

tbambersvc
10-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Doubt your going to drive here for a truck.

birddseedd
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Doubt your going to drive here for a truck.

chuckles. depends on if i can get a better interest rate. i might actualy do it

tbambersvc
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm sure a dealer would ship one to your closest dealer.

If anyone has a '12 or '13 Ram please post up. I'm considering one myself as the Eco isn't cutting it.

Patriot Services
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm sure a dealer would ship one to your closest dealer.

If anyone has a '12 or '13 Ram please post up. I'm considering one myself as the Eco isn't cutting it.

Sorry the Eco ain't cutting it. I tried to tell that to somebody else on here a while back.
Posted via Mobile Device

tbambersvc
10-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Its not your fault, its mine. Shouldn't have bought a truck with 3.31 gears and a v6 and hoped for good gas mileage while towing. Even with an aluminum quad trailer and 2 utility machines it gets 10mpg. The truck itself is much nicer than my Dodge was, but for my needs just not cutting it.

truckn
11-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Its not your fault, its mine. Shouldn't have bought a truck with 3.31 gears and a v6 and hoped for good gas mileage while towing. Even with an aluminum quad trailer and 2 utility machines it gets 10mpg. The truck itself is much nicer than my Dodge was, but for my needs just not cutting it.

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 regular cab, short bed, with the Hemi. I have 3.55s and it tows what I pull with no issues. Most I've towed is 3000lbs. and it had plenty of power. With 3.92s this thing would be a beast for a gasser. I'm getting 11 or 12mpg towing.

360ci
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
LSD is a must for me, especially on RWD vehicles.

I found that (here in Canad) open diff's are horrid, and often scary at times when trying to accelerate up a hill in heavy traffic. LSD greatly helps this, and I have over 70K on my BFG Long Trail tires with lots of wear still left. My GoodYears on my old C1500 GMC didn't last very long even with regular rotations. Each winter it was a struggle to get traction even in some parking lots with the snow/freezing rain and a mix of the two in my geographical area, and the GMC's open differential was a definite set back.

I too would avoid a locking rear diff as it can bind the axle and lock when you need the turning radius on the road. Auto lockers are more for off-roading with very little street use as they can be unpredictable. Air lockers are a viable option but they too can cause trouble if you forget to turn it off while driving on the road in dry conditions.

birddseedd
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
LSD is a must for me, especially on RWD vehicles.

ya, i caint plow unless im high either

:hammerhead::laugh: