PDA

View Full Version : anyone preparing for next year yet?

DiSantolandscaping
10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
i was just sitting here trying to see if anyone is figuring out what they are going to do next year to expand/ or grow their business?

I want to do more physical landscaping work, not so much mowing. I like doing mulch, patios, plantings, and commercial work.

What you all planning or would like to plan and how are you going to go about it?

DiSantolandscaping
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
also would anyone like to compare prices for a few services?

Mulch= $75 per yard includes labor mulch light trenching

Loam= $75 per yard inlcludes labor delivery and install

Fertlilizing= $12 per k sq ft (min $50)

Aeration= $10 per k sq ft (min $50)

Lawn over seeding= $35 per k sq ft

yardguy28
10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
my plan is the same as this years.

fill any open spots that I might have in my schedule. which right now is zero. so as of right now it looks like I'm doing nothing but wishing for snow and waiting for spring of next year.

jsslawncare
10-21-2012, 01:56 PM
my plan is the same as this years.

fill any open spots that I might have in my schedule. which right now is zero. so as of right now it looks like I'm doing nothing but wishing for snow and waiting for spring of next year.

Same for me, but I'm going to have some to replace.

KrayzKajun
10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Plan is to build my weekly accnts to about 75, and get my new company off the ground. So i can stay home more when my baby is born in may.
Posted via Mobile Device

DiSantolandscaping
10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Plan is to build my weekly accnts to about 75, and get my new company off the ground. So i can stay home more when my baby is born in may.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah i like your work and i look up to you and hope someday i can be busy like you are. good luck with the baby its the best thing that ever happend to me i come home at night and he flys out the door to hug me and theres just not better feeling in the world.

Have you gotten to use the disaster business at all this year yet or is that primarly next years plan?

Darryl G
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
My plan is the same as always...hope we get at least 6 snow storms and ask myself all winter long if I really want to do this for another season...this was just supposed to be a temporary thing, 11 years ago!

clydebusa
10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I look for used equipment this time of the year for next year. Bought a 8x18 enclosed trailer last week, so I will be getting it ready.

TPendagast
10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
We are planning to double our lawn maintenance operations next year (if not more) I just doubled the snow operations, and we might still pick up more.

as Far as installation goes, we are separating commercial and residential design build this year. I will limit residential design build to around what we did this year, so I can have time to concentrate of building the maintenance and training those crews.

SRT8
10-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I had planned to be at 30 employees.

Got a couple lucky breaks with some new property managers so for 2013 we plan on starting up 3 more crews.

KrayzKajun
10-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Have you gotten to use the disaster business at all this year yet or is that primarly next years plan?

still finalizing alot of the paperwork and company crap. plan to put together a nice portfolio outlinning services and benefits etc. to market to parish/county govts, state depts,FEMA, corops of engineers and municipalities. im really getting some great positive feedback from a few firends in the govt sector on my ideas and see this as my niche to run with.

DiSantolandscaping
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
still finalizing alot of the paperwork and company crap. plan to put together a nice portfolio outlinning services and benefits etc. to market to parish/county govts, state depts,FEMA, corops of engineers and municipalities. im really getting some great positive feedback from a few firends in the govt sector on my ideas and see this as my niche to run with.

well sounds like you know what your doing, and you got a good handle on things. I just went over all my contracts and stuff to see what i can do next year as i plan to go full time. Id also like to get in to more of the heavy contstruction within five years. kind of use the landscaping as a stepping stone sort of speak.

where im at in maine right now its mostly commercial work and most of that is road construction. so I think if i put my mind to it i can do it. good luck and hope it works out for you.

Toro 455
10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm just planning on keeping all my same customers.

Funny story....I was just finishing up my biggest customer. Last cut of the year. I was about 30 seconds from finishing up and leaving when I saw the plant manager come out the office door. He mad a bee line straight for me looking prety stern.
I'm thinking "Oh boy, here it comes!"
We had a comprehensive contract. One price for all the lawn maintenance paid in 12 monthly increments.
We had a drought last summer. For about two months they didn't get mowed at all! I did what I could filling in with pruning, mulching and whatever but it wasn't worth near what they'd been paying me.
I shut down the mower when he walks up and he says "I've been working on the budget for next year, is it going to be the same as last year?" I can just grin and nod my head. I finally manage to squeak out, "Does everything look OK?" He replies "Excellent, excellent!" and walks back inside.

Wheeeeew, and YIPPEE!! There will be a 2013 for me!

Sprinkler Buddy
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That's an Awesome Plan! Congratulations!

Lawnvision
12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Yep me too! Been 12 Yrs for me!

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Plan to fill in holes and tighten up all the routes, and start adding to the current routes we have in place.

italianstallion69
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
we landscape all winter long.

but yes!

goals for 2013

do 2x the number of dollar generals =12

do 2x the number of olivegardens/redlobsters = 4

do at least 1 hotel - hampton inn etc

do out of state work in maryland, ohio, and virginia, oklahoma (pending)

expand to 2 crews- PA crew - travel crew

buy more box trucks so every jobsite has its own box truck for storage of tools

buy a rollback truck for equipment hauling/get a fulltime cdl drive

get a real office!

trying to break 1,000,000 next year. definitely do-able!

dwlah
12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Im planning on going thru the list
1 see who needs a bump
2 who to drop
3 look at the equipment list
4 maybe actually take more than 2 days in a row off
5 after this year decide next year will be my last(Ive done this every year for the past 4-5)

NC Greenscaper
12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
we landscape all winter long.

but yes!

goals for 2013

do 2x the number of dollar generals =12

do 2x the number of olivegardens/redlobsters = 4

do at least 1 hotel - hampton inn etc

do out of state work in maryland, ohio, and virginia, oklahoma (pending)

expand to 2 crews- PA crew - travel crew

buy more box trucks so every jobsite has its own box truck for storage of tools

buy a rollback truck for equipment hauling/get a fulltime cdl drive

get a real office!

trying to break 1,000,000 next year. definitely do-able!

Sounds like a good goal. How much are you going to do this year? Do you have one crew now? Why the traveling? Do you have your area saturated?

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I don't think anyone has said it yet, but make sure you are caught up on all of your paper work. Start any paper work that you may need to do in the Spring so you know what needs to get done.

I just bought out another business yesterday so I am know up to 45 accounts, I have apprx. 10 more clients on my route that will be signing up with me in the 2013 season after they saw the work that I did this past season.

I will be going around to all of my new customer's that I inquired through the business buy-out and will double check everything that they will expect for the upcoming season. Talk about any new projects that they have been thinking about or maybe give them some ideas about a new patio or landscaping feature, etc.

I also mail out Christmas cards to my customers just to remind them how nice of a guy I am.

I haven't gotten into plowing yet, maybe next year but I have a Honda 928 track snowblower that I go around and take care of any neighbors, family, clients that need their driveways or sidewalks cleaned and I will make upwards of $800 a day, working a 10-12 hour day if the work is their.

-Michael

Kelly's Landscaping
12-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Yea I have a plan but its difficult to make work. We make our money mowing all the other crap is bs yes there are good days but they are far out numbered by bad days lower income days. We have been running 2 two man crews 3 days a week for about 8 years now. This is our 10th season and while the numbers have improved we need a massive increase in mowing income. I don't want 5-6k a week in mowing I want 10k a week in mowing. And the way to do that for us is move to 3 man crews and 4 day cutting lists. 1250 a day per crew would be the new target instead of the 750-900 we now see. Which means I need 2 more employees plus part timers to help me on the other days of the week to keep the OT down the a minimum. I have new trucks and mint trailers 2 cycle equipment is fine but I am in need of some new mowers at least 2 what I have works but I prefer something more reliable. And lastly I need to jump my account list from about 190 too around 300 so yes I have my work cut out for me this winter.

KrayzKajun
12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Yea I have a plan but its difficult to make work. We make our money mowing all the other crap is bs yes there are good days but they are far out numbered by bad days lower income days. We have been running 2 two man crews 3 days a week for about 8 years now. This is our 10th season and while the numbers have improved we need a massive increase in mowing income. I don't want 5-6k a week in mowing I want 10k a week in mowing. And the way to do that for us is move to 3 man crews and 4 day cutting lists. 1250 a day per crew would be the new target instead of the 750-900 we now see. Which means I need 2 more employees plus part timers to help me on the other days of the week to keep the OT down the a minimum. I have new trucks and mint trailers 2 cycle equipment is fine but I am in need of some new mowers at least 2 what I have works but I prefer something more reliable. And lastly I need to jump my account list from about 190 too around 300 so yes I have my work cut out for me this winter.

Im with you. Going to be a busy offseason. I really like the way you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
I got a postcard in the mail the other day. It's from an organization called the North Carolina Consumer Council. They're looking for small locally operated businesses to put forth to their members. I'm not sure where they got my information from, perhaps Dun & Bradstreet. If you don't have a D&B account you should get one. It does wonders for your businesses credibility and credit rating. Anyway, they have 30,000 consumer members and what they do is offer their members discounts on goods and services. I haven't checked them out yet but I presume the members pay for a coupon book type thing. It is no cost to the businesses. All I have to do is come up with a discount plan that I can offer to the general public.

I've had some pretty decent results from my webpage this year and am considering a slight redesign. Just freshen it up a bit and change a couple of images to get a more professional look. I'd also like to get some professional SEO work done. Who knows how much better it could be if I had someone that knows what they're doing to increase my search engine rankings?

RSK Property Maintenance
12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
my plan is the same as last years plan, do 2000-2500 a week in mowing which should be easier because I upgraded to a 61" cheetah in june. I'm pretty close to half way right now, I've been at the 1000 week mark for too long. But next year being my 3rd year my name is getting out there more and i am getting busier. So i think my goal of another 20-25 customers is probably pretty feasible, If i can gross 10k a month off just mowing next year, I will be one happy 24 year old. hopefully most of them will want me to do shrub pruning and mulch too so that could easily bump me to 12-15k a month and having one line of credit with 12k on it will be very easy to get out of and really make buying a house a reality as long as i don't give in and buy a newer truck first. or dump truck which would be very helpful but will take me away buying a house. i'd like to have 30,000 for a down payment on house next fall/winter, so it will take a good amount of self control, and if for whatever reason i don't get approved for a mortgage i'll save up for another season, and maybe try to pick a first house up all cash, I've done crazier things.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-03-2012, 11:38 PM
my plan is the same as last years plan, do 2000-2500 a week in mowing which should be easier because I upgraded to the cheetah in june. I'm pretty close to half way right now, I've been at the 1000 week mark for too long. But being my 3rd year my name is getting out there more and i am getting busier. So i think my goal of another 20-25 customers is probably pretty feasible, If i can gross 10k a month off just mowing next year, I will be one happy 24 year old. Because I know some these hopefully most of them will want me to do shrub pruning and mulch too so that could easily bump me to 12-15k a month and having virtually no bills and only 12k in debt will be very easy to get out of and really make buying a house a reality as long as i don't give in and buy a newer truck first.

Good plan and your website is nicely done. Going into my second year I will already be breaking $1000 and I will be close to breaking $1500 per week with only lawn mowing. I will also be getting into hardscaping this Summer, I will start out with some small patios and walkways, work my way up from there.

The only thing that will hold me back is I turn 21 on May 18th, right in the middle of the Spring craziness.

-Michael

RSK Property Maintenance
12-03-2012, 11:41 PM
all my equipment is good to go, nothing really needs to be replaced, I would like to buy a new set of stihl hedge trimmers to replace the echo one i bought in a pinch to cut down a bunch of grasses 2 years ago, but its not urgent at all. a stihl kmr130 telescoping pole saw would be pretty useful but the attachment i have for my husky trimmer does the job, so again, not gonna waste the money, but i do need to pick up a jrco tine rake for spring clean ups that has already sold me 3 or 4 spring clean ups at about 200 each, so it would be good to get one while everyone else is thinking about snow still.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Good plan and your website is nicely done. Going into my second year I will already be breaking $1000 and I will be close to breaking $1500 per week with only lawn mowing. I will also be getting into hardscaping this Summer, I will start out with some small patios and walkways, work my way up from there.

The only thing that will hold me back is I turn 21 on May 18th, right in the middle of the Spring craziness.

-Michael

thanks, I didn't really focus on mowing this year, I did a ton of revenue in brush chipping and brush clearing, and landscaping which was all due to the storm we got oct. 31. i was doing extremely well with that but it has dried up and my focus next year will be mowing/shrub pruning and mulching, try to get landscape installs but there are probably a hundred of companys around me that are very well known and probably 20-30 years old so its not easy around here at all. even though my work is right up to if not better then those companies.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I know what you mean, there are over 150 lco's in New Castle County, DE.

-Michael

zackvbra
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Got my finances straight to buy a used backup ZTR mower, a new gravely walk behind mower, new sthil fs 90 weedeater and using my old sthil fs 70 as a backup, new stihl edger, redmax backpack blower, and dethacher for my spring clean ups lined up. yes sir ill be ready! After four years of fighting, Im finally set up with backup equipment for almost every single piece of lawn equipment I use, and Im damn proud of it! :weightlifter:

Look's Great
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Not yet, still finishing Fall work for this year

JContracting
12-04-2012, 01:39 AM
also would anyone like to compare prices for a few services?

Mulch= $75 per yard includes labor mulch light trenching

Loam= $75 per yard inlcludes labor delivery and install

Fertlilizing= $12 per k sq ft (min $50)

Aeration= $10 per k sq ft (min $50)

Lawn over seeding= $35 per k sq ft

Raise your aeration to a minimum of $80.

kyles landscape
12-04-2012, 02:05 AM
and maybe try to pick a first house up all cash, I've done crazier things.

that would be a terrible idea bc you would lose a lot of tax benefits

JContracting
12-04-2012, 02:36 AM
my plan is the same as last years plan, do 2000-2500 a week in mowing which should be easier because I upgraded to a 61" cheetah in june. I'm pretty close to half way right now, I've been at the 1000 week mark for too long. But next year being my 3rd year my name is getting out there more and i am getting busier. So i think my goal of another 20-25 customers is probably pretty feasible, If i can gross 10k a month off just mowing next year, I will be one happy 24 year old. hopefully most of them will want me to do shrub pruning and mulch too so that could easily bump me to 12-15k a month and having one line of credit with 12k on it will be very easy to get out of and really make buying a house a reality as long as i don't give in and buy a newer truck first. or dump truck which would be very helpful but will take me away buying a house. i'd like to have 30,000 for a down payment on house next fall/winter, so it will take a good amount of self control, and if for whatever reason i don't get approved for a mortgage i'll save up for another season, and maybe try to pick a first house up all cash, I've done crazier things.

You and I are at about the same place. I'm just a couple years younger, next year will be year 3 (I can believe that much time flew by :dizzy:). I'm shooting for a gross of $100,000 with my company.

My company grew about 600% this year. To do the same for next year, that would put me at the $300,000 range. A bit lofty, but you never know.

Basic list of what I need to do:

1. Buy a plow! I have some questions on length of a truck with the width of a plow, if anyone knows on how well a 8' straight would fair with an ext cab long box, please let me know! ASAP

2. Get approved for financing from my bank to purchase an existing Spring Green LC franchise, the owner of it is retiring, it is a 100k business with 450+ clients, if I can get financing, I'll buy it and have an employee handle the applications, I'll manage it and if it grows enough, more employees. I then plan to push hard to sell those 450+ clients to go with my company for all other maint services, if I can even land 20% of that and they want to go with full service (what I always insist on clients doing) that's 90 clients. The area is on the North/Northeast metro but it's a tight route for the most part and would be perfect if my existing company can take on more accounts from that.

3. Sell my Viking & Metro (I'd hate to part ways with the metro as it's what I started on but the tranny is going and it's quite a bit slower than a hydro). Buy a TTHP (need a floating deck & hydro) or a Lazer Z if I find a good deal and then eventually a Walker GHS before fall to make fall clean ups easier. A side bagger for fall clean ups is back breaking!

4. Graphics on my truck! Along with line-x on the rockers & new tires & rims (rims & tires will happen in the spring)

5. Fix my website, GoDaddy was great when I built it (April of 2011 when I started business) but a guy in my class today took a look at it on a desktop computer at school when we were using design software and my text and stuff are not centered like they are when viewed on a laptop. I'm pretty good with websites, if anyone knows of a good host that's pretty cheap and they're sites are easy to build and most importantly, easy to upload pics to, GoDaddy sucks with that, let me know!

6. Buy an enclosed trailer, 7-8' x 14-18'. White. Get graphics on it.

7. Hire at least 1 person full time seasonally for my company, whether it be a high school/college kid for the summer or w/e. If the Spring Green goes through and my plan for maint clients works, I'll probably hire on 2 people. If that works and once things get going with that, buy a dump trailer and another truck and hopefully have a full time crew for maint and then a part time or even full time crew for design/install that I and 1 other person would primarily work on.

8. Buy a dump truck, if it happens this year, it'd be either a dump trailer or a dump truck, my grandpa has a mid 90s f350 diesel dump that he doesn't use and I'd like to buy it. If so, build a leaf box & buy a leaf loader.

9. Once I can manage and handle the explosion of growth that I'm hoping for, I'd rather be called crazy for planning than not do anything and grow too much without knowing what to do next. Focus on commercial properties. 2-3 years from now I'd like 1 commercial maint crew, 1 resi maint crew, & 1 design/install crew. On top of the whole spring green managing.

10. Buy a house that has a little bit of land!! Within 12 months I want to be in a house of my own!
I'm going to speak with my bank this week to also see what kind of numbers I need to be posting in order to get a loan for a house, I've had my eye on a couple different properties. Either that or save more for a down payment. If I were to get a house right now, I'd have monthly bills of about $2000. So I'd need to net about $5000 a month to be somewhat satisfied. The houses I'm looking at are about 20 miles west (Lake Minnetonka Area) of where I am. So more fuel will be burned to get to the eastern metro where the Spring Green stuff is, but for those that aren't familiar with MN, Lake Minnetonka is the most wealthy area in the state, and the potential in that area is endless, so there is even more of a reason to be out in that area. Call me crazy, but 1 commercial maint crew, 1 east metro resi maint crew, 1 east metro design/install crew, and then a north & western metro resi maint crew & a design/install crew.

11. If nothing with Spring Green happens, I'm aiming for 20 more full service maint clients, thus giving me 2 days a week of maint and I'd like to fill the remaining days of each week with installs with the exception of a 2 different weeks in July when I'm out of town, 4th of July & Millville Pro MX Nat'ls the final week of July this year.

12. Pay off my CC's, all student loans, and my truck. Long shot with all of them getting paid off but it's certainly possible.

13. I want to have just about all bills prepaid (or money saved to the side to pay them during the winter) and $10,000 saved for winter. I don't want to plow, at least not with my 8.1. I'd rather head south for the winter and eventually buy property in S FL and stay there during the weekdays & some wknds and take my toy hauler to races across the south/southeastern states racing motocross most wknds.

AND, something for myself.

Upgrade dirtbikes, to a 2013, either a Honda 250 or Suzuki RMZ 250. I've been riding Suzukis since 2003 and they've been amazing, no issues whatsoever! However I do want to try something new. But that isn't going to happen until at least may or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm going to c/p the jist of this into a document to look back at through the year. Running on about 5 hours of sleep, time to get some rest! Final projects, designs, & tests....

kyles landscape
12-04-2012, 02:56 AM
You and I are at about the same place. I'm just a couple years younger, next year will be year 3 (I can believe that much time flew by :dizzy:). I'm shooting for a gross of $100,000 with my company.

My company grew about 600% this year. To do the same for next year, that would put me at the $300,000 range. A bit lofty, but you never know.

1. Buy a plow! I have some questions on length of a truck with the width of a plow, if anyone knows on how well a 8' straight would fair with an ext cab long box, please let me know! ASAP

2. Get approved for financing from my bank to purchase an existing Spring Green LC franchise, the owner of it is retiring, it is a 100k business with 450+ clients, if I can get financing, I'll buy it and have an employee handle the applications, I'll manage it and if it grows enough, more employees. I then plan to push hard to sell those 450+ clients to go with my company for all other maint services, if I can even land 20% of that and they want to go with full service (what I always insist on clients doing) that's 90 clients. The area is on the North/Northeast metro but it's a tight route for the most part and would be perfect if my existing company can take on more accounts from that.

3. Sell my Viking & Metro (I'd hate to part ways with the metro as it's what I started on but the tranny is going and it's quite a bit slower than a hydro). Buy a TTHP (need a floating deck & hydro) or a Lazer Z if I find a good deal and then eventually a Walker GHS before fall to make fall clean ups easier. A side bagger for fall clean ups is back breaking!

4. Graphics on my truck! Along with line-x on the rockers & new tires & rims (rims & tires will happen in the spring)

5. Fix my website, GoDaddy was great when I built it (April of 2011 when I started business) but a guy in my class today took a look at it on a desktop computer at school when we were using design software and my text and stuff are not centered like they are when viewed on a laptop. I'm pretty good with websites, if anyone knows of a good host that's pretty cheap and they're sites are easy to build and most importantly, easy to upload pics to, GoDaddy sucks with that, let me know!

7. Hire at least 1 person full time seasonally for my company, whether it be a high school/college kid for the summer or w/e. If the Spring Green goes through and my plan for maint clients works, I'll probably hire on 2 people. If that works and once things get going with that, buy a dump trailer and another truck and hopefully have a full time crew for maint and then a part time or even full time crew for design/install that I and 1 other person would primarily work on.

8. Buy a dump truck, if it happens this year, it'd be either a dump trailer or a dump truck, my grandpa has a mid 90s f350 diesel dump that he doesn't use and I'd like to buy it. If so, build a leaf box & buy a leaf loader.

9. Once I can manage and handle the explosion of growth that I'm hoping for, I'd rather be called crazy for planning than not do anything and grow too much without knowing what to do next. Focus on commercial properties. 2-3 years from now I'd like 1 commercial maint crew, 1 resi maint crew, & 1 design/install crew. On top of the whole spring green managing.

10. Buy a house that has a little bit of land!! Within 12 months I want to be in a house of my own!
I'm going to speak with my bank this week to also see what kind of numbers I need to be posting in order to get a loan for a house, I've had my eye on a couple different properties. Either that or save more for a down payment. If I were to get a house right now, I'd have monthly bills of about $2000. So I'd need to net about $5000 a month to be somewhat satisfied. The houses I'm looking at are about 20 miles west (Lake Minnetonka Area) of where I am. So more fuel will be burned to get to the eastern metro where the Spring Green stuff is, but for those that aren't familiar with MN, Lake Minnetonka is the most wealthy area in the state, and the potential in that area is endless, so there is even more of a reason to be out in that area. Call me crazy, but 1 commercial maint crew, 1 east metro resi maint crew, 1 east metro design/install crew, and then a north & western metro resi maint crew & a design/install crew.

11. If nothing with Spring Green happens, I'm aiming for 20 more full service maint clients, thus giving me 2 days a week of maint and I'd like to fill the remaining days of each week with installs with the exception of a 2 different weeks in July when I'm out of town, 4th of July & Millville Pro MX Nat'ls the final week of July this year.

12. Pay off my CC's, all student loans, and my truck. Long shot with all of them getting paid off but it's certainly possible.

13. I want to have just about all bills prepaid (or money saved to the side to pay them during the winter) and $10,000 saved for winter. I don't want to plow, at least not with my 8.1. I'd rather head south for the winter and eventually buy property in S FL and stay there during the weekdays & some wknds and take my toy hauler to races across the south/southeastern states racing motocross most wknds.

Upgrade dirtbikes, to a 2013, either a Honda 250 or Suzuki RMZ 250. I've been riding Suzukis since 2003 and they've been amazing, no issues whatsoever! However I do want to try something new. But that isn't going to happen until at least may or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm going to c/p the jist of this into a document to look back at through the year. Running on about 5 hours of sleep, time to get some rest! Final projects, designs, & tests....

you got ALOT of money goin out there good luck man! hope you get it but realitically i think you are shooting for too much too fast, every one is different but that will be alot to hand and alot at once. Quality might slip, u might burn urself out crazy fast, u might lose your social life, etc etc good luck tho!

JContracting
12-04-2012, 03:26 AM
you got ALOT of money goin out there good luck man! hope you get it but realitically i think you are shooting for too much too fast, every one is different but that will be alot to hand and alot at once. Quality might slip, u might burn urself out crazy fast, u might lose your social life, etc etc good luck tho!

Thanks for the advice.

It is pretty rapid, but I think this is my shot to make the money I've wanted and even though I wont truly be happy until I'm drinking beers and mojitos on my yacht as its trolling through the intercoastal in ft Lauderdale and I have a few European exotics (among other vehicles, new diesels, etc) in my driveway in front of my mansion. This is a good start to getting to that by age 35-37 maybe even 30. It'll take more than just business to do that, I spend some time trading on the stock market here and there right now and to get the money I want ill have to up my game in the market.

But with the quality slipping, I'll hire the right people to avoid that as much as possible. I kinda did lose a good portion of my social life when former very close friend that was a business partner for about a month and a half apparently didn't like the way I worked when we worked for this underground directional drilling company (I worked there a month and quit to focus on my business, best move ever). He was the operator and I was a laborer and I guess I didn't learn the stuff fast enough for what he wanted and he was mad at me for w.e reason as if it was his dime paying me. But since that falling out, the partnership ended. Just about all of our friends were within the same group and they decided to side with him. I make more in a week than most of them do in a month and the majority of them are going nowhere with becoming financially successful so its probably better I dont associate with that group. One of the most rewarding things was closing our partnership's business bank account and when I send him a 1099 for the profit we split on a patio we did before the partnership was registered.

I didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
12-04-2012, 03:57 AM
didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.

If they aren't still friends they probably never were anyway.

Richard Martin
12-04-2012, 06:34 AM

That depends on the size of the interest payments. Below a certain level, I forget the number but it's pretty high, you would use the standard deduction vs. itemizing.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Your truck will be fine with an 8' plow, I believe you can get any brand as well.

These are the basic numbers:
midsize truck or smaller 6'
1500 truck 7'
2500 8'
3500 9'

Gas is going to absolutely suck plowing, what is your normal gas mileage?

I have a 2006 gmc 2500hd crew cab so I can only get a few brands because my front gvwr is 100-200 pounds lighter than companies like Fischers minimum front weight requirements, but a regular and extended cab should be fine.

I just bought a Honda 928 track drive snowblower for this year, and will worry about spending extra money to plow next year.
-Michael

JContracting
12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.

If they aren't still friends they probably never were anyway.

That is the way I'm looking at it. I'm better off without em. Those that are successful don't hang with those that are not.

JContracting
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Your truck will be fine with an 8' plow, I believe you can get any brand as well.

These are the basic numbers:
midsize truck or smaller 6'
1500 truck 7'
2500 8'
3500 9'

Gas is going to absolutely suck plowing, what is your normal gas mileage?

I have a 2006 gmc 2500hd crew cab so I can only get a few brands because my front gvwr is 100-200 pounds lighter than companies like Fischers minimum front weight requirements, but a regular and extended cab should be fine.

I just bought a Honda 928 track drive snowblower for this year, and will worry about spending extra money to plow next year.
-Michael

I figured that in already. I know I'll be burning a ton of gas. I get 8-9 around town as is. I figured 6 mpg plus a bunch when I'm on site. I'll be getting a boss, I have my eye on an 8' straight blade near me on CL. May go look at it today.

kyles landscape
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I got a 9 ft western on my dump lol and a salter haha gas is gna kill me too! But that's why u gotta get decent amt of accounts and make enough
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
12-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I got a 9 ft western on my dump lol and a salter haha gas is gna kill me too! But that's why u gotta get decent amt of accounts and make enough
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes indeed. After running the numbers, I'm not going to make as much as I'd like for snow but everything (plow) will be paid for and for this season, that is what matters. My route is tight with the exception of one account which is residential but it will pay considerably well for higher depths of snow. We have snow in the forecast for Sunday. Buy the plow within the next couple days, and have it installed & ready for the storm.

kyles landscape
12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Ya its all good if it snows haha I plowed 3x last season it sucked! I try to have all my bills paid from landscaping so plowing is gravy money bc I cannot count on it
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Ya its all good if it snows haha I plowed 3x last season it sucked! I try to have all my bills paid from landscaping so plowing is gravy money bc I cannot count on it
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why I'll always be per push/time & materials for plowing. Make all the money to cover overhead & personal bills during the landscape season, that way if there's a season like last year, all bills will be paid and stress is limited and if there's a big year for snow, more money for me!

How old are you btw? Figured I'd ask.

kyles landscape
12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm 21 been doin the landscaping for few years but this was my first serious year and first year snow plowing usually used snowblower hby?
Posted via Mobile Device

Exmarkboy13
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
im buying a trailer, JRCO dethacher, another br 600, and maybe a new edger. Just bought a TON of gator g6 blades off mow part. Cant wait to see what all the hype is about.

JContracting
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm 21 been doin the landscaping for few years but this was my first serious year and first year snow plowing usually used snowblower hby?
Posted via Mobile Device

21 as well. I started my company in 2011. Worked for a local municipality doing installs & maintenance and got my company going slow. I didn't plow for myself last year, I only had a half ton. I ran skid for the first company I ever worked for (back in 2007) and I plowed twice, one 3" storm & then the one big storm we had that was around 16" or so? I also worked a part time job 30-35 hrs a week in retail to basically make ends meet for me through the winter and in early/mid March I went on a vacation to FL for Spring Break with some friends, it got to about 75 degrees in MN when we were gone and the season got going very shortly after and never looked back aside the whole thing with my former friend/business partner. Starting in June this year I took on my business full time. I made it work so far, had a very nice fall, Sept, Oct, & Nov (and Dec if we land this late season clean up I just looked at, plus this snow storm we may have coming our way), were extremely profitable months.

I'm looking at a plow tomorrow morning and if it checks out, I'll buy it and have it installed just in time for this weekend.

JContracting
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
im buying a trailer, JRCO dethacher, another br 600, and maybe a new edger. Just bought a TON of gator g6 blades off mow part. Cant wait to see what all the hype is about.

14 years old? You're off to a good start. I wish I got started earlier than 19 like I did. How do you get from property to property?

Nate'sLawnCare
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I just received my Ornamental and Turf pesticide applicator certification, so I'm hoping to provide additional services to my current customers and the benefit of "one-stop shopping" lawn care to prospective customers.

Also, I'm hoping to add a new 52 inch zero turn to our walk behinds so we can increase efficiency and be able to take on slightly larger properties than we currently service.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM

probably won't happen anyways, I probably will have to finance it, I'm just worried I won't get approved for a mortgage. Even though I've heard an auto loan and mortgage are the two easiest loans to get approved for, I've tried to get neither before, I have good credit, just a short history only had credit for 6 years. and believe it or not that is the main thing hurting my credit.

that's alot of growth for a year, I would break that down into 2 years, sounds like you do have a lot of buying to do, I did most of this last year, a little bit this year, upgraded my 05 scag tiger cub i bought new at 16 for 2012 scag cheetah with a 61" deck and 34hp kohler and then bought the triple bagger system for 2800 out the door in the fall just in time to start charging for picking up leaves while i mow. looks like you may be younger, but I have pretty much everything I need, bought a 2005 big tex 16' landscape trailer last year, bought a newer giant vac leaf vac last year, bought a morbark chipper with a 12" chipping capacity last year, bought a stihl ms 440 magnum in like new condition last year, two stihl 200t top handles, an ms 201t new last year, a 9hp little wonder leaf blower. this year was i upgraded the mower, got the bagger for it, just picked up my 3rd back pack a new br600. next year before spring time i plan to pick up another br600, and the jrco tine rake, and that's about it, nothing else i really need for next year, maybe a new spool of string, and another case of two stroke oil, truck, and trailer got new tires in august or september, credit cards are just about paid off, student loans are paid off, and i picked up my plow last year for 300 fisher minute mount 1 8' heavy duty commercial, and it's been with the truck i bought for 16 years.

rbljack
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Im just running solo, but do have some plans for 2013. Hopefully it will all work out. I purchased a used aerator for 550 bucks that needs some work. I hope to pick up enough aeration jobs in the spring to pay for itself and make me some profit. I also have to get my $ 200 dollar gravely 34" ztr going over the winter. Im hoping it will speed up a few of my yards so when spring rolls around, Ill be able to keep up and make more $$.

By next year I also hope to have an enclosed trailer to pull/store gear...and want to learn quickbooks to make tax season easier.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-04-2012, 10:27 PM
my whole snow removal setup pays for itself several times per storm lol....my plow was 300, and my toro single stage 2 stroke snow blower was 100, with a new belt and some fresh black paint on the cover! I gross about 1400 every time we get a storm over 2" and up to 6" with 30 accounts they take on average 4 minutes to plow the driveway and shovel or snow blow any sidewalks. not a great profit, but definitely a solid start.

Lazer Cut
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
my whole snow removal setup pays for itself several times per storm lol....my plow was 300, and my toro single stage 2 stroke snow blower was 100, with a new belt and some fresh black paint on the cover! I gross about 1400 every time we get a storm over 2" and up to 6" with 30 accounts they take on average 4 minutes to plow the driveway and shovel or snow blow any sidewalks. not a great profit, but definitely a solid start.

You said a house loan and a car loan are the two easiest loans to get...

well car loan is easy to get and they rarely ask for proof of income... rarely that is... but a home loan lol good luck with that... have to have a min of 3 years tax returns being self imployed... the'll want bank statements, tax returns you name it... and no more than 36% of your income can be in bills... man a home loan nowadays is like trying to get a virgin on the first date... just not gonna happen easily lol

My step father is heavy investor in the real estate market... and I hear about this stuff everyday... my credit is shot i went bankrupct at 20... thank god my lovely girlfriend has her sh*t together... she's 24 though and bought her first house ($71k) at 22. So even she knows its a pain to get a home loan, and if you dont get documents in on time you have to redo the whole process... its lengthy... her and i are currently bidding on a 4 family for rental property... well she is I'm just the guideness along with my step father... i dont have the credit history or credit score to get approved for it lol

once you see the restrictions to get a home loan now you'll almost be like forget this why even bother... i hope you do get the loan but just letting you know its a lot harder than you think

cpllawncare
12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
You've got a girlfriend involved in your finances? your already screwed, you just don't know it yet LOL

JContracting
12-04-2012, 11:28 PM
probably won't happen anyways, I probably will have to finance it, I'm just worried I won't get approved for a mortgage. Even though I've heard an auto loan and mortgage are the two easiest loans to get approved for, I've tried to get neither before, I have good credit, just a short history only had credit for 6 years. and believe it or not that is the main thing hurting my credit.

that's alot of growth for a year, I would break that down into 2 years, sounds like you do have a lot of buying to do, I did most of this last year, a little bit this year, upgraded my 05 scag tiger cub i bought new at 16 for 2012 scag cheetah with a 61" deck and 34hp kohler and then bought the triple bagger system for 2800 out the door in the fall just in time to start charging for picking up leaves while i mow. looks like you may be younger, but I have pretty much everything I need, bought a 2005 big tex 16' landscape trailer last year, bought a newer giant vac leaf vac last year, bought a morbark chipper with a 12" chipping capacity last year, bought a stihl ms 440 magnum in like new condition last year, two stihl 200t top handles, an ms 201t new last year, a 9hp little wonder leaf blower. this year was i upgraded the mower, got the bagger for it, just picked up my 3rd back pack a new br600. next year before spring time i plan to pick up another br600, and the jrco tine rake, and that's about it, nothing else i really need for next year, maybe a new spool of string, and another case of two stroke oil, truck, and trailer got new tires in august or september, credit cards are just about paid off, student loans are paid off, and i picked up my plow last year for 300 fisher minute mount 1 8' heavy duty commercial, and it's been with the truck i bought for 16 years.

That is a lot of growth. I guess I didn't state what I wanted within a year with that whole franchise + 90 full service clients. Next year if I get the franchise and land 20 full service clients within a month or two of the season starting I'd be happy with my starting position gain a few more per month is what I'd like to see. On top of grossing $10,000/month in installs. As I had said though, 12 months from now I want to own a house. Hopefully I can make it happen.

I'm 21, as it states in my signature :hammerhead: You are young also, correct? Or maybe I had mistaken you for someone else on here.

Richard Martin
12-05-2012, 03:08 AM

well car loan is easy to get and they rarely ask for proof of income... rarely that is... but a home loan lol good luck with that... have to have a min of 3 years tax returns being self imployed... the'll want bank statements, tax returns you name it...

It's not too bad if your company is a LLC or Inc. The real difficulty comes if you are a sole proprietor. Then you have to prove the viability of your income. I had 2 things going for me last year. I have a real web presence that has been established for years, and a Dun & Bradstreet listing. Dun & Bradstreet is a business credit rating agency.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM

well car loan is easy to get and they rarely ask for proof of income... rarely that is... but a home loan lol good luck with that... have to have a min of 3 years tax returns being self imployed... the'll want bank statements, tax returns you name it... and no more than 36% of your income can be in bills... man a home loan nowadays is like trying to get a virgin on the first date... just not gonna happen easily lol

My step father is heavy investor in the real estate market... and I hear about this stuff everyday... my credit is shot i went bankrupct at 20... thank god my lovely girlfriend has her sh*t together... she's 24 though and bought her first house ($71k) at 22. So even she knows its a pain to get a home loan, and if you dont get documents in on time you have to redo the whole process... its lengthy... her and i are currently bidding on a 4 family for rental property... well she is I'm just the guideness along with my step father... i dont have the credit history or credit score to get approved for it lol

once you see the restrictions to get a home loan now you'll almost be like forget this why even bother... i hope you do get the loan but just letting you know its a lot harder than you think

I'm gonna have 0 percent of my income go to bills before I buy a house, everything will be paid in full, I already have very little debt, my credit score is close to 720 i already have almost no bills, under 400 a month.

That is a lot of growth. I guess I didn't state what I wanted within a year with that whole franchise + 90 full service clients. Next year if I get the franchise and land 20 full service clients within a month or two of the season starting I'd be happy with my starting position gain a few more per month is what I'd like to see. On top of grossing $10,000/month in installs. As I had said though, 12 months from now I want to own a house. Hopefully I can make it happen.

I'm 21, as it states in my signature :hammerhead: You are young also, correct? Or maybe I had mistaken you for someone else on here.

that growth was over 2 years time though not all in the same year, It was still alot of growth I agree but i wasn't turning down work, I grossed about 600% more this year too which I would almost say is normal for a company that is still new to the market, usually i see business grow a lot in the first 4 years then it gets harder to grow, I could be wrong. and yes I am pretty young just turned 24 back in august. but i have been doing this since i was 14 part time until april of 2011. so really i have only been in it for a year an a half full time and advertising, I did a season full time no advertising, I was able to make enough to pay my bills and have fun but it was tight, then the next year i registered and advertised and it was easy, and this year has been pretty easy as far as making money goes, next year should be even better!

Lazer Cut
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
You've got a girlfriend involved in your finances? your already screwed, you just don't know it yet LOL

hahaha... she's actually my soon to be fiance... should be picking up the ring in the next week or two... so i guess ill be further in the loony bin but oh well you only live once right? :laugh:

her and I are a team- I have a 3 year old so i dont do the whole game play stuff, shes great lol

KG26
02-10-2013, 04:19 AM
For 2013 I'm focusing on making my route tighter , bringing on more accounts as well as signing on more accounts I'd like go get the better grades of lawns minimal hills flat nice sun shade mix.