PDA

View Full Version : What is the minimum size trailer width and length for solo lawn mowing?

Boaz
10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
I am trailer shopping and am not sure if I should go big or not.

I will have one zero turn mower (not sure which model but will be under 60" deck) and one small commerical walk behind like metro 26" or something similar, edger, trimmer, backpack blower tools for on site repairs, several gas cans, trash can or two for clippings. Misc hand tools (shovel, rake, pick axe, backpack blower, seeder).

What is the minimum size trailer? 6x12? 7x14? Bigger?

I want a trailer with brakes, not sure if I need to get a tandem axle trailer.

Help me out please!

Oh.. my pulling rig will be a 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke w/6speed Supercab longbed.

knox gsl
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
If my first and only trailer I would get a 6x14 or 6x16 with dual axles. It sucks making 2 trips when a larger trailer would've just been 1.

Boaz
10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I was thinking at LEAST 14'....gives me room for expansion. Would the extra foot be worth it too? 7' vs 6' wide?

newguy123
10-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah I would say a 16' trailer. Like previously stated, if you had to go back to get a machine that would really consume a lot of time. Also, in the event you do leaf clean ups in the future, you could use the front of the trailer for leaves, etc.

knox gsl
10-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I say 6' but all our roads up here are skinny and curvy. I would prefer a 6' deck over with short tires like they use to haul snowmobiles on but loose alot of weight capacity.

KS_Grasscutter
10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
I like my 7x16 open. Next will be a 7x20 enclosed. I run solo with a couple zero turns and a couple walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
I would prefer a 6' deck over with short tires like they use to haul snowmobiles on but loose alot of weight capacity.

That was my first trailer and loved it. It was actually 8x8. Still have it, but the tires are bald and and I don't want to throw any more money at it.

Yes, definitively squirly when heavily loaded, but loved it for leaves and brush more than anything.

That and it was light, so empty it didn't make my MPG's suffer.

Boaz
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
I like my 7x16 open. Next will be a 7x20 enclosed. I run solo with a couple zero turns and a couple walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...buy why multiple mowers if you are solo ?

bshustack
10-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I would go with the 6x12 if your doing things by yourself. I run a 6x10 trailer with a 52 in mower and a 21inch mower all the hand tools are off the deck so there would be more room, still have about 2 feet of clear space in the back to the gate but I would loved to have got a 12foot deck just to add a little more space to get more tree limbs and junk on it but for now the 6x10 works for me. Always go a bigger then you first think of. Or if you want get cardboard cut to the foot print of the mowers your thinking about getting and lay them out on a trailer and see what space you'll have.

C Jovingo Landscaping
10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Are you planning on using the trailer for heavier loads than equipement? Mulch, top soil, gravel, sod, skids of chemical or pavers, etc. If not, I would stick with single axle. Tandem axles require more maintenance, like rear set of wheels wearing fast & brakes. Single axle trailers don't have brakes & with 3/4 ton truck you don't need brakes if all you are planning on putting on trailer is equipment.

Sounds like you're just starting out if you don't have ZTR or walkbehind. Not sure what biggest single axle is but 6X12 single axle is a good size for solo operation. I hope you are already established LCO if you plan on financing ZTR, walkbehind & trailer to replace current setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boaz
10-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Are you planning on using the trailer for heavier loads than equipement? Mulch, top soil, gravel, sod, skids of chemical or pavers, etc. If not, I would stick with single axle. Tandem axles require more maintenance, like rear set of wheels wearing fast & brakes. Single axle trailers don't have brakes & with 3/4 ton truck you don't need brakes if all you are planning on putting on trailer is equipment.

Sounds like you're just starting out if you don't have ZTR or walkbehind. Not sure what biggest single axle is but 6X12 single axle is a good size for solo operation. I hope you are already established LCO if you plan on financing ZTR, walkbehind & trailer to replace current setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just starting out yes, but no financing at all. Buying used equipment to start out and paying cash for all of it. That is why its hard to pick the trailer size as I havent snagged a used mower yet. But its hard to snag a mower without a trailer. I will begin phase replacement of the used equipment halfway through the first season if needed. I am not opposed to buying new equipment but I want to try to get a good deal on a z turn during the off season. At least that is the plan for now....:)

corey4671
10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...buy why multiple mowers if you are solo ?

I run solo and carry two mowers. A 60 and a 34 stander. the 34 is for narrow gates. 60 is for everything else. I run a 6.5x18. Have plenty of room nor both mowers, wheeled blower, walkbehind vac and a push spreader..
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-22-2012, 02:03 AM
I've been running the same 6.5 x 12 trailer for 11 years now and it works out well for me. I'm solo most of the time but have a trimmer/blower guy in the summer. I save a little room by having a low front rail on my trailer so that the whole back of my mower hangs over the tongue...the rear wheels are against the rail.

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Bet everyone here wishes the trailer they bought was 2 feet longer. Look around what people are using and how much they got loaded on it

TruSomethingOrOther
10-22-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a 7 x 16 enclosed, 48 inch zero turn and two push mowers with lawn vac, walk edger, trimmer rack with two trimmers and a stick edger, nose mounted work bench with two chainsaws, small hand tools, repair tools, etc. Wall mounted rack for handheld blower and back pack blower, gas cans, bunch of other stuff mounted on the walls. I tried to hang as much as possible, but am finding I am in need of a bigger trailer quickly. Don't go six feet wide. Go at least seven. I regret not going eight feet wide. My next trailer purchase is gonna be 8.5 x 22. (Spring time) You have the rig to pull, go bigger than you need on the trailer and you won't regret it like I do. If you are taller make sure you get a trailer that is at least a couple inches taller on the inside than you are!

cgaengineer
10-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Consider rapid tire wear on dual axle trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boaz
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Man I have been searching for a 7x14 single axle...for some reason when you go from 12' to 14' they all want to stuff another axle under the trailer...!

Darryl G
10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Enclosed trailers are always smaller than an open trailer of the same size. I know that doesn't make sense but in practice that's how it seems. You need a little extra room to move around in.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I have all my equipment in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Me personally I'd like to get atleast a 7x14 just cause I'd like to get a 60" ztr. But I think if have u have just say a 52" ztr with a walkbehind, I'd go with a single axle 6x12.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Enclosed trailers are always smaller than an open trailer of the same size. I know that doesn't make sense but in practice that's how it seems. You need a little extra room to move around in.

Yeah I agree with an enclosed trailer use prob around 3-4 inches on both sides. Its b/c on an open trailer the gate is the actual size if the trailer.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I say get a 7x12 sa. I run a 7x16 dual with a 52z and a 48wb plus all the other stuff. I have found more and more that I want to go smaller. I looked a a enclosed 6x12 just would not work me. I realy want a 7 or 8x12/13 with a 5k axle. That way most days I could run just the z but when the wb was needed it would fit and I had some breathing room on weight. I say stay small for now then get bigger stuff as you need it.

32vld
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
You need to find out width of a mower plus the width with a side discharge bagging system attached.

A 60" deck is actually wider then 5' then if the discharge system adds one foot more width then the set up won't fit on a 6' trailer.

So you have to do your homework.

What have you thought about length?

I run a small trailer my 42" goes in first then a 20" push goes in side ways last.

I want to get a 36" WB for the steep grades, and where I can't get my 42" through a small gate so I don't have to use the 20" to do the whole back yard then.

You need to think what size mowers you may want to eventually run your route with so you won't out grow the trailer that you buy now.

Whether I stay solo or not I know that I will have at least a 20", a 36", a 48" - 60" some day. I know that many large mowers are 6' long. So fitting two 6' mowers front to back may not fit on a 12' long trailer.

When/if I upgrade next year I'm going to look for a 6.5' x 14' trailer with a single axle.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
You need to find out width of a mower plus the width with a side discharge bagging system attached.

A 60" deck is actually wider then 5' then if the discharge system adds one foot more width then the set up won't fit on a 6' trailer.

So you have to do your homework.

What have you thought about length?

I run a small trailer my 42" goes in first then a 20" push goes in side ways last.

I want to get a 36" WB for the steep grades, and where I can't get my 42" through a small gate so I don't have to use the 20" to do the whole back yard then.

You need to think what size mowers you may want to eventually run your route with so you won't out grow the trailer that you buy now.

Whether I stay solo or not I know that I will have at least a 20", a 36", a 48" - 60" some day. I know that many large mowers are 6' long. So fitting two 6' mowers front to back may not fit on a 12' long trailer.

When/if I upgrade next year I'm going to look for a 6.5' x 14' trailer with a single axle.

Agree. I wish someone had told me that when I was looking at trailers.