PDA

View Full Version : Price Check

olmod
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok guys I am sure I will get some grief on this but I am going to ask anyway. I am bidding a wall project. It is 90' long and about 50' of it is 6' tall. The remaining 40' goes from 6' down to 1'. The block is going to cost me depending on what the customer chooses $4-5,000. There is a area 40'x40'x6' deep that I have remove two big stumps and all the dirt. The customer is making this area parking space. The wall will be holding back the hillside along the driveway and this new area. I figure with 2 guys it is going to take a week and half maybe a full two weeks to complete this project. I am coming up with a figure of $18,500 for this project by the time I figure 160 man hours, equipment rental and charges, material and labor. Do you guys think I am good on price or to high or to low? I have done plenty of these jobs in the past but it had been a few years so I wanna make sure I am not over charging. I also really want this project as it would be nice to have going into winter. Thanks for your advise!
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Thats what i would charge for the wall. Plus all that excavation. Are you hauling it or spreading on site
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I love when people come to the forum asking for help and 9 times out of 10 in the same breath they tell us "we have done alotta walls"! LOL

Most of us are happy to help whether you're doing your first wall or your 75th wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigslick7878
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I love when people come to the forum asking for help and 9 times out of 10 in the same breath they tell us "we have done alotta walls"! LOL

Most of us are happy to help whether you're doing your first wall or your 75th wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

They do that because certain jack$%^&* immediately tell them to go back to cutting grass, they aren't qualified, don't know what they are doing, they are in over their head, and let the "professionals" do it because they are clearly incapable of performing such a complex task.

Food for thought.

olmod
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
That is exactly why I said what I said. Thank you guys for your help. I felt pretty confident in my pricing but just wanted to double check. I know I would help guys out if they asked. From the sound of the guy when I met with him Saturday I believe he has already made up his mind that I will be doing the work so I will post pics of the progress of the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
They do that because certain jack$%^&* immediately tell them to go back to cutting grass, they aren't qualified, don't know what they are doing, they are in over their head, and let the "professionals" do it because they are clearly incapable of performing such a complex task.

Food for thought.

I never told anyone to keep cutting grass. Someone musta had a bad bad Monday :)

I do tell people I'm not taking their math exam for them. This topic creator wasn't looking for a that, he/she was looking to see if the price is in line with us pros. Which I do this as well once in a while. Nothin wrong with that :)

My whole point is - don't be afraid to ask for help. No need to qualify your asking for assistance. I think it's cute when they do that!

So I thought you were blocking my user name? Click on my profile, and find the ignore tab and click on it. Go ahead, I'll watch my visitor list :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
10-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok guys I am sure I will get some grief on this but I am going to ask anyway. I am bidding a wall project. It is 90' long and about 50' of it is 6' tall. The remaining 40' goes from 6' down to 1'. The block is going to cost me depending on what the customer chooses $4-5,000. There is a area 40'x40'x6' deep that I have remove two big stumps and all the dirt. The customer is making this area parking space. The wall will be holding back the hillside along the driveway and this new area. I figure with 2 guys it is going to take a week and half maybe a full two weeks to complete this project. I am coming up with a figure of $18,500 for this project by the time I figure 160 man hours, equipment rental and charges, material and labor. Do you guys think I am good on price or to high or to low? I have done plenty of these jobs in the past but it had been a few years so I wanna make sure I am not over charging. I also really want this project as it would be nice to have going into winter. Thanks for your advise!
Posted via Mobile Device

I won't sit down and calculate the job, I have enough jobs of my own to price! But I will offer some pointers:

1) you mentioned winter. Make sure your proposal has a sentence saying that if weather conditions prevent you from performing turf restoration that the balance is still due upon completion of the wall, however the client may retain a few hundred dollars until the seeding is completed in the spring.

2) during fall and winter there are wet periods. You mentioned equipment rental. If its sunny tomorrow but too wet to work - did you pad the equipment rental to cover the equipment sitting? I find weekly or monthly rates are the way to go, this way the weather doesn't cost you money.

Posted via Mobile Device

olmod
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes I padded plenty for the rental. I know I am planning on the job taking two weeks at the longest and I am only renting the excavator since I have everything else and only really need it till I get the base done which I should have done the first week easily but I am renting the excavator for the entire two weeks. I usually always pad my numbers enough to cover any unforeseen problems. The bad thing is it usually makes me look higher than everyone else. But there is never a case where I have to ask for more money or the chance of me loosing money either.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
so I will post pics of the progress of the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wait your going to post pics.... You must not come to this side of the forum much. And while we are on it, what the hell is the visitor page? Sometimes when I try to click a thread my fat fingers hit the thread starter user name instead, and it lists people who have visited it... But visited what? Is there something there to see I'm missing?

Red Shed Landscaping
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I just completed a wall similar is size last week which was 120' long by 4' high. It came out to be about $15,000 I didn't have the parking area to excavate so would be less.

TomG
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Are you hauling the excavated material away? Your area is about 355 yards without a fluff factor. Thats roughly 20 tri-axle loads of fill. Hauling that away will add up quick, especially if the dump site is far away. Too bad your not near me, I need about 5k yards of fill for a client, I'd come haul it away for free for you.

olmod
10-23-2012, 12:11 AM
No the client has a area where we are putting all the soil. It is only about 200-300' from the dig area where we are dumping it so. He has a drop off besides his house and it has been eroding away the past few years so we are dumping all the dirt to help that then he is going to plant some stuff in the spring to elimate any more erosion.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Wait your going to post pics.... You must not come to this side of the forum much. And while we are on it, what the hell is the visitor page? Sometimes when I try to click a thread my fat fingers hit the thread starter user name instead, and it lists people who have visited it... But visited what? Is there something there to see I'm missing?

The "Visitor" thingie, tells who was digging around on your profile. It could be because they were doing a search maybe on a post one had submitted a while back. It could be because they sent you a private message.

JimLewis
10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I never told anyone to keep cutting grass. Someone musta had a bad bad Monday :)

Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.

MDLawn
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.

It's funny, I posted my first hardscape disaster, I mean project on here to get opinions, help, and guidance. Actually it was posted while I was doing it. However before I took this project on I looked at A LOT of the responses from the so called "Gods" on this forum and learned a couple of things.

A.) Be humble when asking for criticisms, they may actually be right

B.) Post build pictures, not just end of the project. All on here would say that the prep and planning are the most important stage.

C.) Show some competence in that you tried learning before you started digging. (I attending some build day seminars by manufacturers, and read a ton of manuals/literature on building)

I got some good "Wow that was bad" or "Do this way next time" My answers were "Yea you're right" or "Yep totally missed the boat on that one", etc....... Some of the threads I read before I did mine was that many of the topic creators would get rudely offensive when someone said "You did that wrong" or "Something doesn't look right?" Instead of either explaining the why about it, it just turned into a fight because everyone didn't say "Wow looks amazing" I agree this forum is sometimes overly harshly critical, but hardscaping takes more effort to look good then putting mulch on a berm. Eventhough my project didn't turn out perfect I sure learned a lot for the next one. I won't lie, I had sweaty palms and a high heart rate posting pictures though! :laugh:

jbell36
10-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Food for thought.

couldn't agree more...

jbell36
10-31-2012, 06:51 PM

very well said Jim...the irrigation forum isn't much better, is it

JimLewis
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
That's for sure. The irrigation forum is actually the worst forum on Lawnsite. And that's a part of this business where I have some serious expertise. I'm even on one of the boards at Rain Bird. But I don't even bother posting anything in that forum anymore. I've totally given up. Half the guys in that forum aren't even in the business anymore! Yet they will totally chastise you up and down for the brand you use, the way you do irrigation (e.g. in Oregon we trench and do PVC pipe, other states they use a plow in poly pipe) or any stupid thing they can think of. Or else they'll just start with the personal attacks. I don't know what the guys problem is in that forum. But I've totally given up on that one. It's like 80% think-they-know-it-all jerks in that forum.

This forum isn't quite that bad. At least most of the guys in this forum who are rude and condescending actually know the business, are still actively doing hardscapes and are really good at it.

jbell36
10-31-2012, 11:39 PM
i know exactly who you are talking about in the irrigation forum, it's pretty pathetic actually...i stand back in the shadows on that forum, and on this one as well...i will agree, this forum isn't half as bad as the irrigation...i know much more about irrigation than hardscaping tho, but that's why i'm here...it sucks watching these guys come in and ask questions of where i once was and where everyone else was at some point and watch them get bashed...i agree you have to do it right, but that is why we are all here...if we wanted to do it wrong, we would just build a wall and wing it...