PDA

View Full Version : Right of Way clearing??

KrayzKajun
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Wondering how yall make contacts or find out about right of ways clearing jobs. There are tons of gas/oil pipelines, electrical and railway ROWs near me. Should i just start calling the utility companies and send emails untill i make the right connection?
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
up here, they actually get in contact with us. We usually have 2 or 3 nat gas companies a year that want us to do right of way clearing on their lines. The money would be good for a solo or an outfit who could afford to send a guy or two to play in the woods for a couple months. We just aren't certified in pest/herbacides so....

Most of the gas companies up here are like a 10/15 county radius and up to 1,000 miles of line to keep sprayed/cleared.

For cell phone towers if you're interested, look in the yellow pages under tower companies, very few cell providers own their own towers, most of them rent space on the towers. Pegasus Tower owns a ton of stuff around here, and are throughout the south east.

Bleed Green
10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
This would be a good question to direct toward ARP, I think he does quite a bit of that.

YellowDogSVC
10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Where I live we have electric Co-ops. I have made contact with them in the past and been asked to bid on ROW work which I decided to pass on. Along those same lines, get your name out to state agencies. Down here we have "Aquifer Authorities" that let projects for clearing vegetation over the recharge zones or off of earthen lake dams and spillways.

Another potential is working for US MIL, ARMY and Marines clearing areas on military bases. I have been approached numerous times about clearing on TX military bases. Some of that work is very lucrative. Once you are on the "list" you will get email updates, calls, and invitations to bid that may or may not show up in other places. It's not exactly ROW work but it's similar.
One last option, Railroad Crossings. That's ROW to the extreme. Federal regulations require RR crossings to be cleared to a certain height. Depending on the time of year, this can be quite challenging for the company that has the contract. Making contact with the RR or ROW clearing contractor can get you on that list as well. I have been asked to bid (sub) RR crossing ROW work. Most of it can be done with a brush hog type implement and the specs I saw allowed brush to be discarded along the ROW as long as it was below a certain height. The drawback to that work was loading and unloading all day...

gcbailey
10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
big thing about any govt agencies is having a dun/bradstreet #, but I'm going to be under the assumption if Kajun has ever done any work for fema with disaster recovery, he's already got that cleared.

KrayzKajun
10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
10-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Made a really good contact this week at Union Pacific. Im dropping off a proposal tommorrow for bushhogging/spraying approx 40acres of land/tracks near my house.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
good luck! That can really open some doors.

KrayzKajun
10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
A buddy works for track maintenance and said his new boss was saying he wanted a reliable contractor to take over the job. I met with the guy and we hit it off good. He wants the mowing to be on a schedule to keep the grass down for safety. Hoping to land this and allow me to pay off the new tractor and trade in my wheeled skid for a tracked machine with enclosed cab and brush cutter.
Posted via Mobile Device

AEL
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Way to go Jacob!
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a good deal...

KrayzKajun
10-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Well just got the word that they loved my proposal. going on a full site inspection prolly tommorrow afternoon to mark some ditches etc.. and discuss the final contract price.

JNB Construction
10-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Congrats on getting the job. You never know where it might lead.

YellowDogSVC
10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, things are certainly looking good for a Kajun Christmas!

ARP
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Congrats Krazy!

KrayzKajun
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks fellas. once i seal the deal on this contract, im gunna look for a front door for my mustang skid and nice used brush cutter for it. so i can pair it up with my tractor.

YellowDogSVC
10-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks fellas. once i seal the deal on this contract, im gunna look for a front door for my mustang skid and nice used brush cutter for it. so i can pair it up with my tractor.

I have a chipper for sale that will handle a lot of those big logs.. :)

KrayzKajun
10-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Ive really thought about a chipper. Tht way i could bring tree/brush debris back to my yard and chip it when i have time.
Posted via Mobile Device

tailboardtech
10-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Ive really thought about a chipper. Tht way i could bring tree/brush debris back to my yard and chip it when i have time.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you get one, look at one like this one at www.brushchipping.com

You can unload material from a trailer with the loader, lift large logs and pull into the chipper or pull brush in. It'll chip over 20" logs and sometimes bigger. They are a good tool to have if you aren't running a mulcher or have big wood that only a really big mulcher can handle.

KrayzKajun
10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I would like to incorporate the waste from tree/brush work into a useable material to use for the new flood/erosion protection company im starting. Use the chipped waste as mulch to stuff erosion socks.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
I would like to incorporate the waste from tree/brush work into a useable material to use for the new flood/erosion protection company im starting. Use the chipped waste as mulch to stuff erosion socks.
Posted via Mobile Device

A friend of mine has been using rocks, wood chips, dirt, and brush to make erosion berms all over his land. He's a biologist and also specializes in erosion control. The brush makes a "frame" and the rocks and wood chips fill in the skeleton of brush. The wood chips stay in place because the brush holds it there (think thatch roof). As the sediment backs up behind it and grasses start growing and natural fungi action takes place, the brush starts to break down eventually leaving a natural earthen berm. It isn't for all applications but it helps dispose of brush and provides an environmentally friendly gabion basket of sorts.

We even use logs and cover them with dirt and wood chips.

The wood chips from a drum style chipper (or shreds from a mulcher or tub or horizontal grinder) tend to be more coarse and I've had better luck using those chips for roads, trails, and as erosion blankets.

KrayzKajun
10-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Thts some nice work yellowdog.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I was lucky to get that job. Just 2 miles from my place. I cleared, chipped and mowed or mulched 20 acre meadows on a 230 +/- acre ranch. Did it all with a bobcat s300, tree shear, brushcat, mulcher, and chipper. Hired my friend's company to trim and shape a few oaks but other than that I was out there by myself for a few weeks. Enjoyed the solitude!

stuvecorp
10-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks. I was lucky to get that job. Just 2 miles from my place. I cleared, chipped and mowed or mulched 20 acre meadows on a 230 +/- acre ranch. Did it all with a bobcat s300, tree shear, brushcat, mulcher, and chipper. Hired my friend's company to trim and shape a few oaks but other than that I was out there by myself for a few weeks. Enjoyed the solitude!

That does sound great. I would love to have more projects like that(just go do and be close to home).

Way to go Krazy!

KrayzKajun
04-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I have been doing alot of searching for contacts for pipeline companies, right of way management comapnies, utlitity companies, etc. ive got a list of atleast 60+ fax #s, email addresses and mailing addresses. hopefully ill manage to make a good contact that can land some long term work.

MatthewG
05-11-2013, 09:05 PM
How did the GP contract meeting go?

anthonyp
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I have been doing alot of searching for contacts for pipeline companies, right of way management comapnies, utlitity companies, etc. ive got a list of atleast 60+ fax #s, email addresses and mailing addresses. hopefully ill manage to make a good contact that can land some long term work.

Hi Krayz

I wondered if you got the job from the land developer who wanted his property cleared? Last I remember you had quoted eight to ten thousand....I was thinking it might be wise to take a bid like that and ask to do just one part of it, like clear the fence line, and quote a number you think you can do it for?? Then if both of you are satisfied, quote next part...Sometimes when a person you don`t really know ---nor they you, just a start can lead into a long term relationship of trust.......I know when I have done business with someone and am happy with their work and price, I trust them to just do the next job in a similar fashion, and do not ask for a bid----unless it is a really large job, then just an estimate.....I find most people know what they can do with hard work, and if a problem develops, we both discuss it, and move on...I don`t want anyone loosing money on something I am doing---no fault of their own---Tony

KrayzKajun
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Well I've added another State license to my certifications. Now licensed utility arborist. Adding that license really bumps me up into a higher category than most companies around here.

Now I really want to find a way to market my company and services towards right of way clearing/mowing and other land service jobs that most companies around here don't want to fool with.

My company is now licensed as Arborist, Utility Arborist, Landscape Contractor, Irrigation Contractor, and Commercial Applicator.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
congrats.... I'm guessing utility arborist is dealing more with right of ways? You gonna get a helicopter with one of those saws! haha.

You see yourself getting out of residential and gear more toward the utility side of commercial? I know a guy who owns an outfit around here that makes a great lives doing nothing but site clearing for towers, but 90% of them are up on the mountains only accessible to a UTV w/sprayer, chainsaw, etc...