PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Truck

T Scapes
10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3903387 looking at running this truck for a maintenance crew for pulling a 18ft enclosed trailer and a bark blower.

alldayrj
10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
It has the 365 which is the same as ford 6.0(international builds fords motors). I wouldn't do it especially in a truck that size. However the low pro is exactly the truck i want
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
If you've got the use for it, might be worth it.

Only thing I noticed that I didn't care for was the GVWR is only 19,500. You could get a long wheel-base F-550 with a 19l gvwr, and probably a bit more pay-load weight wise.

That dump body looks sprung or tweaked also.

T Scapes
10-23-2012, 07:20 PM
It has the 365 which is the same as ford 6.0(international builds fords motors). I wouldn't do it especially in a truck that size. However the low pro is exactly the truck i want
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what i like about the truck. the low profile look

If you've got the use for it, might be worth it.

Only thing I noticed that I didn't care for was the GVWR is only 19,500. You could get a long wheel-base F-550 with a 19l gvwr, and probably a bit more pay-load weight wise.

That dump body looks sprung or tweaked also.

yea i see what your say ive debating between a truck like this or a crew cab 550 with a 10ft grain body like guzzo has

P.Services
10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
i think thats a nice truck at a really good price. If i didnt all ready own a 450 crew cab i would probably jump on that. I love the look of extended cab trucks.

On the same note i think i would pick up another used ex-brickman 450 in the 7-8k range before that truck though as nice as it is. Tuff call.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes thats a nice truck.

Personally/ From experience i Like actually having 4 doors on crew cabs... not the 1.5 doors. Personal Preference.

Also the fact that you will need a CDL to drive this truck if its loaded plus pulling a trailer.
Not exactly sure what you do or what you haul but the second you hook a trailer up and load a piece of equipment suck as a skidsteer or mini ex. you're probably going to be over CDL... Just something to look out for. If you and your drivers have that there's nothing to worry about.

Bigger plate Bigger fee... not a big deal though.

CLS LLC
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
It looks to me like you'd have to have work done to the hitch if you want to carry an enclosed with that. The dump bed looks like it sticks out a foot further than the hitch, even if your trailer has an extended tongue I think you'd be cutting it close.

Just something to consider.

Aside from that it looks to me like a very good truck for a pretty good price. I'm not too informed on my ford 6.0 power stroke trivia, but if I recall correctly most of the issues with the engine were worked out by '06. Further more I think the majority of the issues were due to people cranking the boost and fuel up, which I don't assume you'd be doing with this.

Duffster
10-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Also the fact that you will need a CDL to drive this truck if its loaded plus pulling a trailer.

You can still pull a trailer without a CDL. As long as the trailer is 10k or under GVWR. Whether the truck is loaded or not would never make a difference.

Not exactly sure what you do or what you haul but the second you hook a trailer up and load a piece of equipment suck as a skidsteer or mini ex. you're probably going to be over CDL...

Now it's probably? You could easily tow a skid or mini without a CDL.

Fwilamosky
10-24-2012, 10:23 AM
any reason why you wouldn't just go buy a 3500 flatbed or 3500 stakebed with a low gear ratio to increase the towing. buying a 3500 would also alleviate the CDL problem as well. just my thought. how much do you know need to be towing, weight wise?

Duffster
10-24-2012, 10:49 AM
any reason why you wouldn't just go buy a 3500 flatbed or 3500 stakebed with a low gear ratio to increase the towing. buying a 3500 would also alleviate the CDL problem as well. just my thought. how much do you know need to be towing, weight wise?

What CDL problem?

TPendagast
10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
So, thats a medium duty truck. A 3500 doesnt actually fall under "medium duty" it's light duty. a Medium duty truck has a lot more in common with heavy duty trucks than they do with light duty trucks (like pick ups) brakes, suspension and drive train and all the components in between are better and made (and actually do) last/wear longer. Even then it's cheaper to do a lot of the maintenance on a medium duty than a light duty made for medium purposes (like a super duty ford pick up style).

So my advice is buy medium duties and never go back to light duties (when your company can make that transition) you will never regret the decision.

IT does look like a good truck, but the price has me worried, I seems low. Maybe pay a mechanic to look through the whole thing? just to be sure it is a good deal??

T Scapes
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
So, thats a medium duty truck. A 3500 doesnt actually fall under "medium duty" it's light duty. a Medium duty truck has a lot more in common with heavy duty trucks than they do with light duty trucks (like pick ups) brakes, suspension and drive train and all the components in between are better and made (and actually do) last/wear longer. Even then it's cheaper to do a lot of the maintenance on a medium duty than a light duty made for medium purposes (like a super duty ford pick up style).

So my advice is buy medium duties and never go back to light duties (when your company can make that transition) you will never regret the decision.

IT does look like a good truck, but the price has me worried, I seems low. Maybe pay a mechanic to look through the whole thing? just to be sure it is a good deal??

for sure bringing a mechanic with me its really between this and a 550 with a grain body

clydebusa
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM

My thoughts also, went with 450 and next will be 550 or bigger. Just no comparison to the 3500.

andersman02
10-24-2012, 11:07 PM
As far as the CDL goes, in MN if you are over 26k combine GVWR you NEED a CDL, our 350 at 10.5k and 15k trailer comes damn close to that, our 550 at 19k and 15k trailer comes at 34k so we need a CDL for that, and i can tell you a ticket for being over weight or not having a CDL is NOT cheap.

For a maint crew id go with a 350 type with maybe a stake bed dump, for a landscape crew, 450/550 or bigger. I cant see a maint crew ever needing the extra the payload of a 550, for soil i guess

alldayrj
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM
If its between this truck and a 550 with the same motor and price, get the international. Like t pain said, MDTs will run circles around light trucks dressed up as mdts
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
As far as the CDL goes, in MN if you are over 26k combine GVWR you NEED a CDL

Not always.