PDA

View Full Version : fire brick question

gunsnroses
10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
So I am lucky enough to have the ability to gather all kinds of seafood, in my home town here in South Carolina, any given time. At my personal home I want to build a pit with a swing arm to aid in oyster roasts ect. When the fun is over, I will be able to hose down all the bits of crabs ect and life will be good. I have it all somewhat planned out. My question is the fire pit. I have heard stories of cement exploding...and I dont want to experience that. I know I can use proper fire brick, but I would like to use brick I have, and I believe it will give it an old and seasoned look that I like. Am I correct in believing that I can use a coal kiln fired red brick safely? They are sorta irrigular, some blackish areas, no holes, so i believe they are coal fired. If anyone else has an oyster roast/grill/ firepit, i would love to see it.

Thanks

jbailey52
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
I can't help you. Not my area, I have only installed the fancy dancy expensive finished units but I'm interested I'm seeing what you build

2low4NH
10-23-2012, 09:34 PM
yes but they will fail over time and may still spall the mortar will fail first though

DVS Hardscaper
10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
old bricks have no density. more like sponges. They will not last long with heat.

unless you enjoy re-doing your work - not a wise idea :)

alldayrj
10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
My thread has a pic of a fire pit me and my dad did. It has a fire brick liner and stone exterior with a stone cap. We also plan on a swing arm. Take a look. I would do a fire brick liner and your brick on the outside
Posted via Mobile Device

gunsnroses
10-23-2012, 10:39 PM
old bricks have no density. more like sponges. They will not last long with heat.

unless you enjoy re-doing your work - not a wise idea :)

They are new,or unused I should say, But yes they have a sponge look....like they were pushed through an extrusion. Thanks for the help amigos :drinkup:

lawnartists
10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not an expert by any means...but wen we built a fireplug we used a special type of mortar..."refractory mortar" and specific "fire bricks" for the inside of the pit...I'm pretty sure that most other materials will flake and chip
Posted via Mobile Device

2low4NH
10-24-2012, 08:30 PM
yes refractory cement use the dry mix premix should not be used outdoors. you can use an SWB or a waterstruck brick. they need to be extremely dense brick. but yes fire brick are a standard practice and unless you like doing things twice I would use the fire brick.

joes169
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Use the firebrick (4.5" x 9" by 2.25" are about $2 a piece) and lay them with a non-water-soluable refractory mortar (like Heat-Stop II, which IS a dry powder), unless you want to do it twice............