PDA

View Full Version : Takeuchi to Brand Terex Skid Steers

Digdeep
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I have heard that Takeuchi will be branding Terex's skid steers for 2013. Don't know much more than that other than it will include all the skid models Terex makes.
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Are you punkn' us? That is just bizarre.

Mowingman
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Does this mean that Terex is going to junk the whole line of current ASV designed machines??
Taki probably has the plant capacity, since they lost the deal to build Gehl and Mustang machines.

Digdeep
10-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Does this mean that Terex is going to junk the whole line of current ASV designed machines??
Taki probably has the plant capacity, since they lost the deal to build Gehl and Mustang machines.

No. I called my contact at the local dealership and he said the deal is only for Terex's skids since Takeuchi doesn't have one to offer. Terex will not sell Takeuchi products.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh God, please let that be a Halloween prank.
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No doubt. I am not seeing any upside for TK doing this?

Digdeep
10-24-2012, 07:54 PM
No doubt. I am not seeing any upside for TK doing this?

I don't either, and I am a fan of ASV's CTLs, although I think their skids fall somewhere in with Thomas and the old Volvo (Scatrak). Some good features, but lots of shortcomings make them marginal in my book.

I think it's indicative of one of two things, or both-

1. Takeuchi feels that they need a skid steer for their dealers and they can't/won't build it themselves.
2. It's reflective of Takeuchi's true place in the market as a middle of the road OEM. Not that their product is second rate (good quality), but merely that they are not that strong in the market place and need to offer additional revenue streams to themselves and their dealers. I mentioned this previously as it related to their market share losses since the early 2000s stemming from everyone else coming into the market with their own CTLs, and their short line offering sold through major OEM dealers, e.g. Case, NH, Deere (not anymore), etc.

Digdeep
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry Ron :cry: I trust my source at the dealership.

Dirtman2007
10-24-2012, 08:03 PM
saw this on facebook today

Terex Construction announced today that it has entered into a partnership with Takeuchi Manufacturing, U.S. in which Terex will supply Takeuchi with eight new models of skid steer loaders.

Mark Luttmann, Terex sales operations manager at Terex Americas, said Tuesday morning that he would not disclose specifically how long the two companies have been in talks but that discussions over the partnership had taken place “for a while.”

“The deal is good both of us,” Luttman said.

In a statement, Takeuchi U.S. President Clay Eubanks said Terex was selected to supply the new skid steer loaders “after an extensive review process.”

Terex will supply Takeuchi with vertical and radial lift skid steers, a product Takeuchi’s current lineup is without. Takeuchi currently offers wheel loaders, compact track loaders and excavators in the U.S. The new skid steers will range in operating weight from 6,500 to 8,600 pounds with a rated operating capacity from 1,500 to 3,000 pounds.

The new skid steers will be Takeuchi-branded and, according to the announcement, Takeuchi will handle sales, rental and parts supply as well as customer support for the new skid steer loaders.

“We will support our customer’s parts and service needs in the same way as we do our other products today,” Eubanks said.

As far as the benefits for Terex go, Terex Construction Americas and Global Aftermarket vice president and general manager Dean Barley called the partnership “a great opportunity to leverage our manufacturing operations in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and drive additional operational efficiencies through our whole production and supply chain.”

stuvecorp
10-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't either, and I am a fan of ASV's CTLs, although I think their skids fall somewhere in with Thomas and the old Volvo (Scatrak). Some good features, but lots of shortcomings make them marginal in my book.

I think it's indicative of one of two things, or both-

1. Takeuchi feels that they need a skid steer for their dealers and they can't/won't build it themselves.
2. It's reflective of Takeuchi's true place in the market as a middle of the road OEM. Not that their product is second rate (good quality), but merely that they are not that strong in the market place and need to offer additional revenue streams to themselves and their dealers. I mentioned this previously as it related to their market share losses since the early 2000s stemming from everyone else coming into the market with their own CTLs, and their short line offering sold through major OEM dealers, e.g. Case, NH, Deere (not anymore), etc.

It must have been cheaper to rebrand than design and build their own?

I'm pretty critical of ASV(now Terex) but do think they have a good idea, just wish they would have a build quality like CNH or Cat.

Digdeep
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
It must have been cheaper to rebrand than design and build their own?

I'm pretty critical of ASV(now Terex) but do think they have a good idea, just wish they would have a build quality like CNH or Cat.

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think it really helps Takeuchi all that much. Terex's skid steers are marginal....poor visibility to quick attach, no high flow, no ride control, crappy Chinese tires, painfully slow cycle times on their vertical lift path machines. they do have some nice things I liked...pilots, sealed cabs, easy access to the engine bay and service points.

I think ASV's current CTLs are much better than their older machines. I'd love to trade my old RC50 for a new PT60, but just don't do enough work with it in the Summer to justify it.

ksss
10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I would guess TK looks at it like a way to offer a wheeled machine with little investment. Unlike building their own and suffering the same fate as Komatsu, they can change the paint on the Terex machine, spin up a parts line for them and they are in the wheeled skid steer business. They do something similar with the TK wheel loaders. They are rebadged Atlas loaders I believe. They can be in that market, sell whatever comes their way for little overhead.

As to why the Terex machine, I suspect that Terex is giving them a great deal which means a better earning potential. The Terex ASV really does not compete head on with TK's CTL so your not helping a major competetor like they would be with a full line OEM. Who knows maybe TK will help them with some of the engineering on the Series 2 Terex wheeled skid steer.

Overall the whole thing really surprises me.

Digdeep
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I would guess TK looks at it like a way to offer a wheeled machine with little investment. Unlike building their own and suffering the same fate as Komatsu, they can change the paint on the Terex machine, spin up a parts line for them and they are in the wheeled skid steer business. They do something similar with the TK wheel loaders. They are rebadged Atlas loaders I believe. They can be in that market, sell whatever comes their way for little overhead.

As to why the Terex machine, I suspect that Terex is giving them a great deal which means a better earning potential. The Terex ASV really does not compete head on with TK's CTL so your not helping a major competetor like they would be with a full line OEM. Who knows maybe TK will help them with some of the engineering on the Series 2 Terex wheeled skid steer.

Overall the whole thing really surprises me.

A couple good points, but I have to think it is similar to the Takeuchi/
Gehl/Mustang arrangement.

Gehl and Mustang were at distinct disadvantages when it came to financing and machine and parts pricing against the Takeuchi dealers. Terex is going to definitely going to make a profit on the machines and parts in selling them to Takeuchi, and Takeuchi is also going to make some profit on the parts and machines, and the dealers yet again will want to make a profit on the parts and machines. In essence, you end up with a second layer of profit taking.

I know a sales manager at a local Mustang dealership that said this price difference in machines and parts really impacted his ability to sell their rebranded CTLs against not only Takeuchi, but less competitive against the other CTLs as well.

I also do think that in many cases the Terex CTLs do compete directly with Tak's CTLs. Not in all cases, but I know Terex dealers try to convince customers that their technology is superior to Takeuchi's and vice versa. At one point they were the only two going head to head in the market, and now they are still in the same arena, only it's much more crowded. Current market share data points out that you are probably correct that there are core segments that only want the suspension instead of rigid undercarriages. I think this is true because Takeuchi has suffered more loss of market share with all the other OEMs entering the market.

At the end of the day, I agree with you 100% when you said you are surprised. This makes at least two of us.