PDA

View Full Version : Customers Just Cant See paying for leaves!! Help!!

LawnFreak1170
10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
anyone else experiencing this, During the fall when your cutting grass weekly, some yards are full of leaves customers want us to either mulch them up with the mower and not get paid extra for a leaf clean up, what do you guys do? thanks

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Leaf clean up and mowing grass I charge same. I mulch leaves and don't weed eat anything on leaf clean up.

LawnFreak1170
10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
what about if theres piles of leaves scattered in other yards and you are there longer?

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Usually leaf clean up takes longer but this my first year and that's how I m pricing now for my regulars. Easier to keep track of.

Darryl G
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
I do my thing and bill them extra if it took me extra time. Often I can save enough time to not bill them extra when the leaves are at the nuisance level, such as skipping or abbreviating the trim. I will not just ignore the leaves...the lawn must look neat when I am done with it.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Most of my customers are year round or regular through the Spring,Summer and Fall. I only charge those that aren't regular customers more on a leaf clean up. If I do them at all. Our season is much longer than most so it all pans out for us in the South.

herler
10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
You forgot to include leaves in the contract?

charmill26
10-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I do a full cleanup every time I mow a house (including the beds). The price is different every single time and obviously depends on the time spent and the amount of leaves. I always leave my lawns looking the same in the fall as they do the rest of the year. I do not ever have to give prices up front and have never had a complaint. Customers know the leaves are going to keep falling and it's easier for me and better for the lawn to keep up with them

32vld
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
anyone else experiencing this, During the fall when your cutting grass weekly, some yards are full of leaves customers want us to either mulch them up with the mower and not get paid extra for a leaf clean up, what do you guys do? thanks

Do you bag when you mow?

I mulch.

This fall as the leaves fell what ever is on the grass gets mulched and left there. By the next week the visible mulched leaves are gone.

Next week I do my last mow for the season. Then Nov 5th I do 6 weekly cleanups finishing up Dec 14 for my regular customers. Once mowing season is over I will do a one time clean ups as well as they come up.

Darryl G
10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I tried mulching a lawn today after I blew off the heavy accumulations to the woods. I ended up triple cutting it to get it look the way I wanted. It looked OK after a double cut, but just not quite up to my standard with little leaf bits visible.

Normally I would have just bagged it with the Lazer, but the lawn was too wet/soft for it so I used the walk-behind. I hate bagging with a catcher so I just mulched it. However, I probably did more damage to the lawn triple cutting it than if I just did it once with the Lazer and bagged it. I think that's one thing people neglect to consider with mulching...you need to run the lawn over more times, and lawns tend to be soft in the fall where I am.

DQL10
10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
just blow the big piles into woods or a pile to pick up and put in trash bags or something. Smaller random piles, just mow over them.

Darryl G
10-25-2012, 11:33 PM
I just don't like the look of mulched up leaves on the lawn, not on my high-end lawns anyway.

On another lawn that I mowed with the walk-behind today, the customer had blown off the heavy accumulations already. I double cut that and then gave it a quick blow afterwards...I needed to blow the hard surfaces and push her piles back further anyway.

Last season I ran double blades on my walk-behind and that works out pretty well...gator and high lift combo. With the discharge chute down it gives enough wind to all but blow the next row clear, so on the pass discharging to the cut area you're only mulching up a few leaves. When I got to the end of the lawn area I just mulched up or bagged the winrow of leaves that the mower blew to the side.

lawnkingforever
10-26-2012, 12:07 AM
It is all about time. I try to be fair to all of my.customers and they know that. With that being said I cannot spend the time needed for a finished product we both are happy with, without adding a surcharge to the bill. A handful of my lawns have alot of leaves, I service them weekly until the leaves are down then do a final clean up. The surcharge can range anywhere from 15$-50$ depending on what I did and how much time I spent there.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
10-26-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm using two methods this year. I'm keeping my Little wonder HPV with a hose on it on the mowing trailer. Putting large contractor bags in it. Works great on my smaller city lots that have a few scattered small trees.

Then there's my 7x14 dump with the billy goat for larger accounts. Of course, when possible, I just mulch them up.

STIHL GUY
10-26-2012, 07:21 AM
I just mow over them for now..once all the leaves are down ill do a big cleanup and take care of all the leaves at once...the cleanup gets charged much more than regular mowing
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I think leaf bagging is a blue state only thing. The red state people just ain't gonna buy into picking up leaves:hammerhead: I especially like comments like " i don't like how it looks when i mulch them". I think it is important to know what customer thinks and if the cost is a lot less i say they will pick mulching.

Darryl G
10-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I can often bag them quicker/cheaper than I can mulch them. Like I said, I blow of the heavy accumulations first. Anything I bag gets left on most of my properties. I've got it down to a science. So it looks better and it's cheaper and I should mulch them just to run a soggy lawn over multiple times because someone 2,000 miles away who has never seen the lawn says so?

charmill26
10-27-2012, 01:32 AM
I had to google what red and blue states were (LOL). Bagging is also a red state thing. I bag about half the time during the summer. But fall is a different story. I fill my truck full every day if not more often than that. Depends on the quality the customer wants. Majority of my customers want to pay more for a superior service. Their #1 is quality that shows for itself not the price.

cpllawncare
10-27-2012, 02:10 AM
One pass foward and one pass backwards and there are no more leaves, I'm running gators with a full mulch kit. You can't tell there were ever even any leaves there with this setup.