PDA

View Full Version : Rolling the lawn, 6000 lb

ztman
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Question to see if any one has ever done this. Have one large acreage lawn that has about a two acre area that is extremley bumpy. Almost like waves and small dips. I roll the lawn in the spring with a 1,000 roller behind an atv. Takes the frost heave down but really doesnt do anything for the wavy area. Was thinking about renting a 6,000 roller, then areating. Anyone ever do this before with such a heavy roller.

cgaengineer
10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Question to see if any one has ever done this. Have one large acreage lawn that has about a two acre area that is extremley bumpy. Almost like waves and small dips. I roll the lawn in the spring with a 1,000 roller behind an atv. Takes the frost heave down but really doesnt do anything for the wavy area. Was thinking about renting a 6,000 roller, then areating. Anyone ever do this before with such a heavy roller.

The problem is that you will end up compacting the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device

ztman
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I would aerate after rolling. Think it would still be too compacted after aerating?

MOW ED
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
6000 lbs, holy crap batman are you going to lay down a coat of asphalt!

Puttinggreens
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
A better long term solution is to aerate the crap out of it, then follow up with a drag mat. May take a few years. When dragging you will pull the lose soil off of the high spots and deposit it in the low ones. Definitely wont happen all at once but it does work over time.

As far as the frost heaves, they generally go down by themselves, no?

JCLawn and more
10-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I use to live on a farm and the owner would use a 10ft and and over 10,000lbs roller to our lawn when he did his hay fields. It made it smooth ill tell you what.

ztman
10-26-2012, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=MOW ED;4565810]6000 lbs, holy crap batman are you going to lay down a coat of asphalt![/QUOT

Wouldnt have any thing to cut if I did the asphalt. Figured the roller would take care of the bumps, I was just worried about compacting the soil too much, and was interested on comments as to whether aerating afterward would be good enough so as not to have an adverse effect on grass

White Gardens
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
I was just worried about compacting the soil too much, and was interested on comments as to whether aerating afterward would be good enough so as not to have an adverse effect on grass

Nope, aerating won't do enough.

MOW ED
10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
OK Batman I will comment. I don't know what type of soil you have but I have heavy clay. The type that dries out in the summer and cracks of 1" open in it. Conversely when it is wet it conforms well and there are people here who do have small rollers go over their lawn. The problem comes when it is too wet adn it is compacted or flattened too much. The root zone is the top 3" or so and rolling it will definately flatten it but it will compact it too. Can you overcome this with aeration? That depends on your soil and the time of year you are aerating. Aeration should be done when the lawn is actively growing to get the benefit. 3/4" cores are the standard here and it does work well if you do multiple pass aeration. If I were you I would experiment. Do a 50 x 50 section with the big roller and see what happens. Do another 50 x 50 section and aerate the hell out of it. There are many variables like soil condition, fertilization, watering and overall turf health that also should be considered.
I would give it a try in small doses.

Better than laying asphalt on it now isn't it Batman!:laugh:

ztman
10-26-2012, 08:39 PM
OK Batman I will comment. I don't know what type of soil you have but I have heavy clay. The type that dries out in the summer and cracks of 1" open in it. Conversely when it is wet it conforms well and there are people here who do have small rollers go over their lawn. The problem comes when it is too wet adn it is compacted or flattened too much. The root zone is the top 3" or so and rolling it will definately flatten it but it will compact it too. Can you overcome this with aeration? That depends on your soil and the time of year you are aerating. Aeration should be done when the lawn is actively growing to get the benefit. 3/4" cores are the standard here and it does work well if you do multiple pass aeration. If I were you I would experiment. Do a 50 x 50 section with the big roller and see what happens. Do another 50 x 50 section and aerate the hell out of it. There are many variables like soil condition, fertilization, watering and overall turf health that also should be considered.
I would give it a try in small doses.

Better than laying asphalt on it now isn't it Batman!:laugh:

10-4 Mow Ed. Thanks for the input, never like the smell of asphalt anyway

JCLawn and more
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
I bet you if you pull plugs going over it twice and then rolling it would work really well without compacting the soil
Posted via Mobile Device

lildevil_66
10-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Two words...Harley Rake

JCLawn and more
10-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Harley rake, skid steer, $100's in seed. That's more than 2 words
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
10-26-2012, 11:40 PM
lawn rolling is big money around here in the spring.

recycledsole
10-27-2012, 11:30 AM
i m not 100% sure of your goal, but you could bring in some topsoil/ fill dirt mix and lay it on top to create a level lawn with healthy soil that will grow nice grass.

ztman
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM
i m not 100% sure of your goal, but you could bring in some topsoil/ fill dirt mix and lay it on top to create a level lawn with healthy soil that will grow nice grass.

My goal is to save my kidneys and not feel like I am in a moto cross race when I am cutting. Whoever did the original grading, ten years ago did a good job around the house, but in the exterior acreage they didnt level the grade the way they should have, and there are humps that I was trying to smooth out. Given its atleast two acres, I wanted to stay away from regrading and seeding if possible.

JCLawn and more
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM
My goal is to save my kidneys and not feel like I am in a moto cross race when I am cutting. Whoever did the original grading, ten years ago did a good job around the house, but in the exterior acreage they didnt level the grade the way they should have, and there are humps that I was trying to smooth out. Given its atleast two acres, I wanted to stay away from regrading and seeding if possible.

I hear ya, I have one lawn where I get air in spots
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
sry man you could always use a native ground cover and stop burning gas

ztman
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
That was a suggestion but the homeowner likes all acres mowed, say it keeps snakes away from home because they dont like to cross big open areas.