PDA

View Full Version : What truck should I get?

matt25738
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
So I've got 20k to spend on a truck. Its primary purpose will be to tow our 16ft enclosed around tow and also serve as my daily driver outside of work. I live in Birmingham, AL so there are a lot of hills around here. I'm looking at 2500HDs, F-150s, and 1500s. I need something that is going to hold up to the abuse of a maintenance vehicle and give us a long life span.

Opinions??

richardcog
10-26-2012, 03:00 AM
I like f250. F150 will pull but will not hold up doing it everyday

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Tundra? Maybe?. The only thing is with the 4.30 gear you only get I think around 13 or 14 mpg

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
F250 Diesel and pay at the pump. LOL That's what I do.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I wish I could edit my post... I was going to say a diesel as well.. Milage would be good but routine maintenance

KrayzKajun
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Hills. Go diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Hills. Go diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you gets diesel?

THEGOLDPRO
10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
your welcome
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?fuelCode=DSL&zip=35202&endYear=2007&modelCode1=RAM25002WD&showcaseOwnerId=57259853&startYear=2000&makeCode1=DODGE&listingType=used&searchRadius=75&listingId=332807486&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?fuelCode=DSL&zip=35202&endYear=2007&modelCode1=RAM25002WD&showcaseOwnerId=57259853&startYear=2000&makeCode1=DODGE&listingType=used&searchRadius=75&listingId=332243513&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?fuelCode=DSL&zip=35202&endYear=2007&modelCode1=RAM25002WD&showcaseOwnerId=57259853&startYear=2000&makeCode1=DODGE&listingType=used&searchRadius=75&listingId=329712773&Log=0

KrayzKajun
10-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Did you gets diesel?

Hell yeah. Of course my dually is a diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Hell yeah. Of course my dually is a diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know you like it huh lol. I'm thinking about getting a diesel

205mx
10-27-2012, 07:26 PM
My 07 diesel and 08 gas f250 are for sale!
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
get a diesel 3/4 ton if you want a cool truck. Get a gasser if you want to make money.

poolboy
10-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Tundra? Maybe?. The only thing is with the 4.30 gear you only get I think around 13 or 14 mpg

Yeah, but you get 6 gear transmission.

Get a 3/4 ton.

mowcrazy
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
get a diesel 3/4 ton if you want a cool truck. Get a gasser if you want to make money.

Couldnt agree more with this. Diesel sounds cool and yes may pull a little better but for the money you spend on them. Sheesh. Ive done made that mistake.

Everyone bragged on how good these 7.3 powerstrokes were so I bought one. The maintanance bills surpass the amount it saves me in fuel when comparing toour 6.0 chevy gassers and the gasser 6 litre chevrolets have been CRAZY dependable for us......

Yes the 6.0 gasser eats fuel but I can buy A FREAKIN bunch of fuel with the money saved buying a gas truck. And when you have a maintanance issue its always a lot less to fix....

That 7.3 powerstroke truck lives at the shop. Always something with that thing. Chevy 6 litre trucks we have get tires and oil changes. Thats it.... with that said, pulling enclosed 16fters your looking at 8-10mpg with right gearing.

By the way, before anyone saids anything, our 6 litre trucks will pull side by side with our diesel any day of the week, up hill or not. Maybe not if I was pulling a cattle trailer but were pulling lawnmowers for goodness sakes.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Couldnt agree more with this. Diesel sounds cool and yes may pull a little better but for the money you spend on them. Sheesh. Ive done made that mistake.

Everyone bragged on how good these 7.3 powerstrokes were so I bought one. The maintanance bills surpass the amount it saves me in fuel when comparing toour 6.0 chevy gassers and the gasser 6 litre chevrolets have been CRAZY dependable for us......

Yes the 6.0 gasser eats fuel but I can buy A FREAKIN bunch of fuel with the money saved buying a gas truck. And when you have a maintanance issue its always a lot less to fix....

That 7.3 powerstroke truck lives at the shop. Always something with that thing. Chevy 6 litre trucks we have get tires and oil changes. Thats it.... with that said, pulling enclosed 16fters your looking at 8-10mpg with right gearing.

By the way, before anyone saids anything, our 6 litre trucks will pull side by side with our diesel any day of the week, up hill or not. Maybe not if I was pulling a cattle trailer but were pulling lawnmowers for goodness sakes.

my 6.0 has been great too. Do you have any 1 ton duallys? Im a die hard gasser guy for pickups but for a 1 ton dump that Im looking for I could go either way. Have you owned any DuraMax's?

SRT8
10-28-2012, 10:22 PM

I have a couple diesels, but I also have several 6.0L Silverado 2500's , they are great trucks

mowcrazy
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
my 6.0 has been great too. Do you have any 1 ton duallys? Im a die hard gasser guy for pickups but for a 1 ton dump that Im looking for I could go either way. Have you owned any DuraMax's?

Actually the 7.3 is a f350 but single rear wheel.

As for the duramax's, I cant afford one. With that being said i have a few buddies that have them and say they are amazing but of course the friends I speak of are the nimwitts pulling 2 sea-doos to the lake. LOL Supposodly there some power houses but I just cant see paying twice as much for a duramax when I can get a 6.0 gasser for roughly half the price (im speaking of a few year old trucks, i buy used mostly)........

I actually wouldnt mind having a duramax but heres the other thing that stinks about the diesel chevy. I plow snow also and because the duramax engine is so heavy you cannot run as big of a plow as if you had the 6.0 gasser because of weight......... Crazy huh....:dizzy:

mowcrazy
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a couple diesels, but I also have several 6.0L Silverado 2500's , they are great trucks

I think the diesels are a cool truck to drive honestly..... they sound cool, turbo spooling is awesome also.

I found a one owner 97 f-350 flatbed with 7.3 (it was a turd, had to do a chip)and you could tell it had been taken care of but when things that needed attention came around (injectors for one thing) its just a fortune to have these things done.

As I was paying for a glow plug and injector job handing over thousands to my long time mechanic I was thinking the whole time how that tune up on my gasser would have been a fraction for tune up.........

If I made tons of money Id have diesel trucks because I like them, but to make money and for dependabillity, ill stick with the tried and true gassers that are cheap to work on.....

THEGOLDPRO
10-28-2012, 11:35 PM
If you only tow a tiny landscape trailer then buy a gasser, If you actually use your truck like some of us do and tow 10k+ pounds up hills then buy a diesel.

The people who preach that their 6.0 liters/Gas jobbers can tow As good as diesels clearly don't tow enough weight on a daily basis.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-28-2012, 11:53 PM
So what yall are saying is buy a 2500 gasser For basic everyday towing?

THEGOLDPRO
10-29-2012, 12:03 AM

If your everyday towing is a 12 foot enclosed trailer like you have then yes. If your everyday towing is a mini ex/skid steer then no get a diesel.

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 12:11 AM

Thats what I say bud but thats just my opinion. You said you were going to use it for towing a mowing trailer and daily driver. You will not need any more. Now I only have experience with chevrolet gassers. My uncle has a 5.4 litre ford and it is a dawwwwwg. I wouldnt own one of those. I borrowed that truck one time and thats it. Im pretty sure that truck has space shuttle highway gears in it though and that may be why I was having to lean on it so bad.

It was stated above, if your going to be towing a bunch of weight go diesel but for no more than you say your going to do, I wouldnt spend the extra money unless diesel is whats gonna tickle your fancy. If you want diesel just because you want it thats cool to. Like i said, I see ppl towing see-doos with dually diesels all the time. Whatever makes ya happy!!

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Mowcrazy..
Why didn't you like the ford? If you don't mind.... I don't need a diesel, the only thing I tow is my 12' trailer. After looking into it more and what's all involved ill pass on the diesel for my little rig.lol

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 12:22 AM
If you only tow a tiny landscape trailer then buy a gasser, If you actually use your truck like some of us do and tow 10k+ pounds up hills then buy a diesel.

The people who preach that their 6.0 liters/Gas jobbers can tow As good as diesels clearly don't tow enough weight on a daily basis.

I agree with that, I don't tow a bunch of weight ever. Id say my outfit is arond 6,000lbs max that I pull daily. Im also comparing apples to oranges I guess when Im comparing a 97 powerstroke turbo diesel to my 2004-2006 gassers also.

I think that my 97 turbo powerstroke was only rated at like 195hp or something like that. It is a freaking daawwwwg on stock setting. I ordered a chip with an added 80hp setting and I can tell you my gassers will still outpull it any day up any hill in my area but thats old news diesels.

My uncle also has a 2001 powerstroke. now that truck will outpull my gassers no problem...... I just bought the dog of diesels I guess..

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Mowcrazy..
Why didn't you like the ford? If you don't mind.... I don't need a diesel, the only thing I tow is my 12' trailer. After looking into it more and what's all involved ill pass on the diesel for my little rig.lol

honestly I think its because I got a lemon.......

With all the hype on Diesels I just had to have one (yeah one of those deals). so I asked around to some garages and asked them "what do you think was the best all around work truck around". Most all there answers were the same. They all said the old body style 7.3 turbo diesel fords.

So i searched high and low for a good on and I found a nice one. One owner 97 power stroke 119k miles no blow by hardly at all. So I put her to work and immediately was disappointed with the power. Hills in my area arent huge but decent and my gassers would hold 60 no prob but the ole ford would on the floor loose speed to about 52. She was just gutless. Ordered a chip and some guages because when you buy diesel you need to watch egts. after the chip guages and install it was about 1,300 bucks. Still wont pull like my gassers

Then comes the little things that come along with diesel. I picked up a miss. come to find out it was a few bad injectors. Very big money for repair.

Next glow plugs needed replaced. Back to the shop for MORE downtime and once again VERY BIG MONEY.

next the tranny started acting really funny. Down shifting at random times (cant believe it didnt blow a rod or something it reved it so high) After a few different mechanics come to find out it was just a sensor on top of the pumpkin which was cheap but I was down a truck for a week and a half.

then tranny starts leaking like crazy. It was the pump. While in there had shift kit added.

I just dont have these types of problems with my 6 litre gassers and never have. Not to say it wont happen some time but for the past 7 years ive never had but one of them go down and that was a fuel pump.

like I said its probably because I got a lemon because the mechanics that I use couldnt believe I was having so much trouble. Remember they were the ones that recommended this truck to me. I gave them guys all kinds of hell about that one.

Dont write off diesel if its what ya want, but on the other hand for what your talking about pulling, I just don't think you will HAVE TO HAVE DIESEL....

THEGOLDPRO
10-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Well i own a 2000 dodge ram with a 8.0 liter v10 that makes 310 hp and 450 ft. lbs of tq, and also own a 2001 Cummins with roughly the same power (stock), the Cummins put the v10 to shame stock for stock. Once i added an intake, 4 inch straight pipe exhaust, and a power programmer the cummins made the v10 feel like a ford ranger.

For power and pulling heavy there really is no other choice then a diesel.

Also let me add my v10 pulls heavy loads with little to no effort, and i have never actually "needed" more power from it while towing, but the diesel does it better, does it faster, And struggles far less. it also gets more then double the mpg while doing it.

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Well i own a 2000 dodge ram with a 8.0 liter v10 that makes 310 hp and 450 ft. lbs of tq, and also own a 2001 Cummins with roughly the same power (stock), the Cummins put the v10 to shame stock for stock. Once i added an intake, 4 inch straight pipe exhaust, and a power programmer the cummins made the v10 feel like a ford ranger.

For power and pulling heavy there really is no other choice then a diesel.

Also let me add my v10 pulls heavy loads with little to no effort, and i have never actually "needed" more power from it while towing, but the diesel does it better, does it faster, And struggles far less. it also gets more then double the mpg while doing it.

ya know, Ive heard those v10 dodges were some strong trucks....

We live in southern ohio and we have a lot of farmers that haul cattle and round bails into kentucky and they pretty much all have diesel power. There is no doubt it seems in this area anyways the cummins trucks are preferred expecially for the folks pulling REALLY heavy loads with the round bails. Ive been next to them while they were pulling hills and they are impressive to say the least. little smoke rolling and they hold there speed on most hills. Im not talking about these guys taking 2 cows to slaughter either. These boys are hauling a hell of a bunch of weight!!!!

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually the 7.3 is a f350 but single rear wheel.

As for the duramax's, I cant afford one. With that being said i have a few buddies that have them and say they are amazing but of course the friends I speak of are the nimwitts pulling 2 sea-doos to the lake. LOL Supposodly there some power houses but I just cant see paying twice as much for a duramax when I can get a 6.0 gasser for roughly half the price (im speaking of a few year old trucks, i buy used mostly)........

I actually wouldnt mind having a duramax but heres the other thing that stinks about the diesel chevy. I plow snow also and because the duramax engine is so heavy you cannot run as big of a plow as if you had the 6.0 gasser because of weight......... Crazy huh....:dizzy:

Legaly ya. Just put the plow on and plow. Thats what everyone does and the GM's hold up good. The 2012 and on have an extra 1000 lb rated front axle anyway.

matt25738
10-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Well after all my searching I found what I wanted. Just purchased it today.

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/3369236205.html

We have alot of hills around here, so after test driving a lot of different trucks, I had to go with the diesel.

jrs.landscaping
10-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Nice truck, that should pull whatever you have up any hill. Looks like it has low mileage as well, overall I'd say you got a good buy.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
nice truck. Diesels were better back then anyway.

tbambersvc
10-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Nice truck man those D-Max's are sweet.

THEGOLDPRO
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Well after all my searching I found what I wanted. Just purchased it today.

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/3369236205.html

We have alot of hills around here, so after test driving a lot of different trucks, I had to go with the diesel.

You made a good choice man. Congrats.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Nice truck dude

RSK Property Maintenance
10-31-2012, 06:57 PM
good choice, dmaxes tow nice....I have a 96 7.3 powerstroke rated at 215hp and it won't win races for sure, but it is reliable and a gas truck could not tow a mini excavator on a daily basis nor could one of similar years even tow the 6500lb chipper i was towing around on a weekly basis, I used my buddies gas f250 to back up a chipper, and I had to almost put the truck to 2500rpm to just back a chipper up on flat ground, it ended up overheating the transmission and starting on fire because it was under so much stress. my diesel f350 would never do that because it is built to move weight. make sure you put a small tune of efi live in the truck and do a trans go jr. shift kit, and you should get over 20mpg towing. good luck happy towing!

mowcrazy
10-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Yippers, you did good!!! Even if you didnt get him to budge on price that was cheaper than I can find around here with that kinda miles. There wanting that much around here with 150k on them.........

Good job!!

mowcrazy
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
good choice, dmaxes tow nice....I have a 96 7.3 powerstroke rated at 215hp and it won't win races for sure, but it is reliable and a gas truck could not tow a mini excavator on a daily basis nor could one of similar years even tow the 6500lb chipper i was towing around on a weekly basis, I used my buddies gas f250 to back up a chipper, and I had to almost put the truck to 2500rpm to just back a chipper up on flat ground, it ended up overheating the transmission and starting on fire because it was under so much stress. my diesel f350 would never do that because it is built to move weight. make sure you put a small tune of efi live in the truck and do a trans go jr. shift kit, and you should get over 20mpg towing. good luck happy towing!

Is your 7.3 a standard or automatic????? I think if my truck was standard it would tow A LOT BETTER. I hate the way my truck shifts. no joke say im take a sweeping turn and it starts up a large hill and im running say 30mph. if i stomp it down at the bottom of the hill it just simply DOES NOT want to go into 2nd gear but will stay in drive and just lug at about 1200 rpms and lose speed and when she gets down around 1000 rpms on the floor it will finally downshift and pull okay. It was like this before and after my tranny rebuild.........

matt25738
11-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I actually ended up paying $16,800 for it so not as bad. But overall after a day of owning it, I'm pretty pleased. Its going under tow tomorrow with my enclosed, so we'll so how it does.

mowcrazy
11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I actually ended up paying $16,800 for it so not as bad. But overall after a day of owning it, I'm pretty pleased. Its going under tow tomorrow with my enclosed, so we'll so how it does.

report back and let us know how it does!!:weightlifter:

TruSomethingOrOther
11-08-2012, 08:25 PM
After buying my 2008 F450 dually a lot of people gave me hell for buying something so big. I do lots of odd jobs outside of lawn maintenance, and it's been a God send. 6.4 powerstroke Diesel of course. Enough power to haul 3 ton of material in back and pull the 16 foot enclosed landscape trailer.