PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Crabgrass

Norcal3080
10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Have an infestation of crabgrass on one side of yard. It's killing off due to colder temps. Do I have to rake it out (spreading its seed), prior to overseeding or can I seed directly OVER the crabgrass. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Northern California, tall fescue

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Here in FL, we have to dig down to bedrock and still no guarantee you'll get it all out.

Smallaxe
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Riggle just did an experiment with overseeding the CG after it was dead...

suzook
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Overseed heavy right over it. It will come up great. Just remember to use pre.m next year.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Overseed heavy right over it. It will come up great. Just remember to use pre.m next year.

I think pre.m don't work to well in FL because we don't get cold enough in the winter months for the Crab Grass to go completely dormant. It's a never ending battle here. LOL

suzook
10-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I think pre.m don't work to well in FL because we don't get cold enough in the winter months for the Crab Grass to go completely dormant. It's a never ending battle here. LOL

I was replying to theOP.

xtreem3d
10-28-2012, 08:22 AM

What he said..I did a similar experiment to Riggle's at a friends house and the grass has come up like Wrigley Field !!! I wish I had taken before and after shots. I used Winning colors TTTF and fert. but it is getting cooler here too..starting to damage the weeds.
Steve

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
10-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Have an infestation of crabgrass on one side of yard. It's killing off due to colder temps. Do I have to rake it out (spreading its seed), prior to overseeding or can I seed directly OVER the crabgrass. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Northern California, tall fescue

You sure its crab grass and not Bermuda in with your cool season grasses?