PDA

View Full Version : hurricane sandy SNOW!!!!!!!!!

nashlawn01
10-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Well looks like here in the Appalachians were going from fall cleanup to heavy snow removal and with all the leaves on trees after this mess will have to get the chainsaws out for storm cleanup. Probably end up losing power for a while. Not how I want the snow to start. Every year all these idiots have to learn how to drive in the snow again. They will be wrecking everywhere. But 1-2 feet of snow is bad

recycledsole
10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
are you really gonna get snow?

nashlawn01
10-27-2012, 09:43 AM
They are saying up to a couple of feet. We usually don't see that until January. All the steep and curvy roads will be bringing everything to a stand still for days!!!!!! But a lot of $$$ potential

recycledsole
10-27-2012, 10:10 AM
well i hope we can make some good money and most importantly no one is hurt

Sprinkler Buddy
10-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a bad feeling about this one, I believe its effects are going to be aired for some time. Stay safe with those saws guys!

newguy123
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
How much longer until the storm hits you guys?

KrayzKajun
10-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Let me know if anybody needs any help or supplies after the storm. Would be happy to help yall out up north.
Posted via Mobile Device

newguy123
10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Let me know if anybody needs any help or supplies after the storm. Would be happy to help yall out up north.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll second that! You're a good guy Kajun. Let us know if you need anything East Coast brothers/sisters.

alexschultz1
10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
He never said for free :)

I'm keeping a close watch on this one too, keep us up to date on what's happening

On a good note I think it scared Florida state because the dawgs are holding their own right now!

nashlawn01
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=newguy123;4566976]How much longer until the storm hits you guys?[/QUOte

supposed to start monday. NBC nightly news had Jim Cantore from TWC and he just said parts of WV and the Appalachains could see 50 inches of snow. HOLY CRAP the most I've ever seen at one time was 36 inches and everything was shut down for weeks. Police officers would give tickets to anybody that wasn't emergancy vehicles. I know if we get that much snow the trucks will be parked. Have to use four whell drive equipment

RSK Property Maintenance
10-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I think they are still unsure if ct will get snow from sandy, from all the forecast i saw it said rain and lots of it, but who knows its supposed to hit us tuesday i think so we shall see.

newguy123
10-27-2012, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=newguy123;4566976]How much longer until the storm hits you guys?[/QUOte

supposed to start monday. NBC nightly news had Jim Cantore from TWC and he just said parts of WV and the Appalachains could see 50 inches of snow. HOLY CRAP the most I've ever seen at one time was 36 inches and everything was shut down for weeks. Police officers would give tickets to anybody that wasn't emergancy vehicles. I know if we get that much snow the trucks will be parked. Have to use four whell drive equipment

50 inches? That's crazy!

alexschultz1
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
im pissed we got missed, we need the rain badly

Kelly's Landscaping
10-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Snow with the leaves still on trees is devastating we got a taste of that last Oct. Parts of ct went about 2 weeks with out power. I went up to see my dealer about 4 days after and barely managed to punch through so many streets were closed and one bad one had over a 100 trees down and crossing it. Nothing like driving under a tree held up only by power wires. And the real sad part that was only Hamden and Bethany they got off light compared to up state in that storm.

And no were not getting snow in CT this storm but 60-80 mph winds with gusts around 100 are projected where I live. I got 4 trucks here atm 1 car and 3 trailers I got to move away from the tree line and somehow get them close to the house. Been putting that off all morning but its getting to the point when i have to make that move.

Duekster
10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
This is a worse case Nor'easter scenario.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Snow with the leaves still on trees is devastating we got a taste of that last Oct. Parts of ct went about 2 weeks with out power. I went up to see my dealer about 4 days after and barely managed to punch through so many streets were closed and one bad one had over a 100 trees down and crossing it. Nothing like driving under a tree held up only by power wires. And the real sad part that was only Hamden and Bethany they got off light compared to up state in that storm.

And no were not getting snow in CT this storm but 60-80 mph winds with gusts around 100 are projected where I live. I got 4 trucks here atm 1 car and 3 trailers I got to move away from the tree line and somehow get them close to the house. Been putting that off all morning but its getting to the point when i have to make that move.

good i don't want snow yet, but i'm ready if we get it, my saws are all sharpened, oiled, gassed, and cleaned up. i have 9 gallons of gas on hand which is enough for a lot of tree work. 40 gallons of diesel in my truck, 100 gallons in the transfer tank, mini excavator is loaded up on the trailer, full of diesel ready to work, dump truck is filled up, throw line is in the bag, 5/8th rigging line with a 16,500 breaking strength for pulling trees over is coiled in a bucket, and my can't hook and 8lb maul and wedges are at home ready for work. ready to see some trees fall. :waving:

nashlawn01
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Well we are in a blizzard warning now starting tomorrow with 2 feet plus of snow on the way and 50-60ph winds and lasting until Wednesday. Looks like its gonna be a long week ahead

TimNNJ
10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I live about a mile from the bay here in nj. Low lying areas are already flooding out. Getting pretty windy as well, it's going to get ugly around here. It's ashame to see the beaches get destroyed. I live about ten minutes from Sandy Hook and our beaches take a real beating. Good luck with all that snow man.

nashlawn01
10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Probably gonna be a rough night for u guys in NJ. Being dark makes it worse. Hope there isn't too much damage stay safe guys

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Well we are in a blizzard warning now starting tomorrow with 2 feet plus of snow on the way and 50-60ph winds and lasting until Wednesday. Looks like its gonna be a long week ahead

noaa.gov says less then 1inch probably.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=rnk&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=74&map.y=189&site=RNK

nashlawn01
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Sure hope so but local weather and weather channel says 12-24 and locally higher amounts. Check Bluefield Va up through Beckley WV and up into Snowshoe Wv and I bet your weather is wrong. Usually if they call for 12 inches here we get 15-20 because the storms get caught up in the spine of the mountains and wring out every bit of moisture

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Sure hope so but local weather and weather channel says 12-24 and locally higher amounts. Check Bluefield Va up through Beckley WV and up into Snowshoe Wv and I bet your weather is wrong. Usually if they call for 12 inches here we get 15-20 because the storms get caught up in the spine of the mountains and wring out every bit of moisture

that's not my weather, that's the national weather service. i live in manchester,ct but you are right for snowshoe, wv you guys could be looking at around 2ft by wednesday night but then saturday its supposed to hit 51 so i would expect all of that to melt. better get out and plow everything as fast and safely as possible. should be a nice bonus for you guys if you can keep up with it, and have the supplies stocked up.

here see for yourself
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.413963&lon=-79.99328479999997&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Snowshoe%2C%20WV%2C%20USA

nashlawn01
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Check wvva.com that's the local station here

nashlawn01
10-28-2012, 08:48 PM
We are a little hole in the earth and the national weather is always wrong nothing but coal fields at over 2500 ft elevation

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
We are a little hole in the earth and the national weather is always wrong nothing but coal fields at over 2500 ft elevation

yah it says up to 2ft as well, good luck, hope all your stuff for snow is all set to go! wet snow=heavy snow.

burnsyscapes
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I am from northern VA and the talks of snow have been mentioned. I dont believe it since it was 70 degreees yesterday and up to 80 all last week. to dang warm for it. then again northern and south western va is different.

cgaengineer
10-29-2012, 06:05 AM
He never said for free :)

I'm keeping a close watch on this one too, keep us up to date on what's happening

On a good note I think it scared Florida state because the dawgs are holding their own right now!

How bout' them Dawgs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I got gusts over 50 mph already wonder when not if but when I will be losing my power this time. The trees have shed most of their leaves here I got many that are bare and some with a few and the stronger trees oak and beech my beloved hemlocks still seem to be holding a lot of them but the maples and tulips are bare. A few of my shorter trees have some so this is gona be a rough day I have 4 acres 2.5 of them are wooded and then I am surrounded by woods on top of that so I literately have 1000s of trees here and some will not be here tomorrow.

nashlawn01
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Hope you arelucky and the power stays on. We have about 2 inches of snow right now and it looks like the power lines are holding it all along with the trees. Hopefully it will warm up a bit and it falls on down or we will be in the dark with ya

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Not sure how I have power but the lines on my house were ripped off 2 hours ago I got a 4 ton tree between my 2nd and 3rd poll that is cutting the drive way in half and the lines are on the ground. So I got power but I am stranded worse is yet to come they say 8-10 pm here.

recycledsole
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
wow, well be safe everyone. here nothing bad so far just wind and rain (maryland)

KrayzKajun
10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Damn. Its weird for me being in southern louisiana to watch a storm hit like this and not affect us. I pray everybody makes out ok. If i can do anything to help yall dont be afraid to ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexschultz1
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Damn. Its weird for me being in southern louisiana to watch a storm hit like this and not affect us. I pray everybody makes out ok. If i can do anything to help yall dont be afraid to ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

I second that, unfortunately I don't have a bobcat or my 3 Stihl 660's any more. But if you need some help, I'm here too.

94gt331
10-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Here in Central Pa, it's getting scary 50- 60 mph winds and cold rain right now. Tomorrow is gonna be worse. Im not gonna bother going back out to work till the wheather is calm again. No point in getting hurt. We were gonna start leaf cleanup today. Still have 50 leaf cleanups to do. It's gonna be wet and sloppy for awhile. Try to be safe everyone and don't worry about work right now. I wish you guys on the coast lines well and hope you guys are safe.

THEGOLDPRO
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
The up side is we wont have a single leaf on any tree after this is over, so fall cleanups will be fast and easy.

soloscaperman
10-29-2012, 06:17 PM
The up side is we wont have a single leaf on any tree after this is over, so fall cleanups will be fast and easy.

All the leaves are down in Shelton, Hunington, Ansonia. The question is will you have leaves from other neighbors on your lawns or vice versa lol.

grasshopping
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Take care and stay safe to all you guys on the east coast. I wish you could send some of the rain down to the east coast of Australia. Grass is rapidly turning brown. No decent rain since July.

Kathryn and Mark
Grasshopper Mowing Services

cslawnandlandscape
10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Not sure how I have power but the lines on my house were ripped off 2 hours ago I got a 4 ton tree between my 2nd and 3rd poll that is cutting the drive way in half and the lines are on the ground. So I got power but I am stranded worse is yet to come they say 8-10 pm here.

Be careful with those lines. I had the same thing happen last year and CL-P won't fix it, they'll only kill your power and you need an electrician to come re-connect the assembly to your house before they'll put the line back up. Same goes for ATT or whoever you have cable/telephone with

jones68
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Calling for 12-20" here in Frostburg. Got a couple inches already Bunch of trees down already winds are crazy, and they say the worst is yet to come. Be safe everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
10-29-2012, 08:53 PM
yea think its gona be a pain in the ass to get all that fixed went through that once before. And each utility wants you to call them and set it up in a specific order that no one tells you. But the cable 2 phone lines and the power lines are ripped down in some way or another. Had this storm happened in August with the leaves still on the trees I think the damage her would of been 10 fold.

gcbailey
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
7.5" and counting.... wet and heavy. The power has flickered twice. Sometimes it sucks having a wife that has to take call 24x7. But that's why they make Jeeps and studded tires!

jones68
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM
This snow is going to be HEAVY to push
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Check wvva.com that's the local station here

you must not be too far away if you get the crappiest broadcast station there is too....

gcbailey
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
This snow is going to be HEAVY to push
Posted via Mobile Device

that's when you break out the front end loader on the tractor! :weightlifter:

what's so bad around here, more than 50% of the trees still have leaves....

nashlawn01
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
I live in tazewell va but work from tazewell to Bluefield and Princeton WV

gcbailey
10-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Not too far away... we're in between Princeton/bluefield.

nashlawn01
10-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Probably see you around everywhere and don't know it

nashlawn01
10-29-2012, 09:25 PM
My dad own Geen Acres Lawn and Garden supply center in Springville. Where he sells mulch decorative stone etc.

nashlawn01
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Green Acres sorry

gcbailey
10-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh ya... know exactly where you are at. We have a few down that way, but are mostly from Princeton up to White Sulphur Springs and down to Pearisburg all the way back to Welch.

RLS24
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
In Buffalo, NY we had this storm in October 6 years ago, with the snow. It was BAD...I didn't have power for over 9 days. Could not get down my street for over a week, I had to drive over huge trees with my truck (thank god I had a lifted truck at the time)...This was all before I was in the landscaping business otherwise I would have been making some good money. I feel for you guys in WV, VA, CT, MD and wherever else is getting pounded right now. Just hang in there and be safe!

Anyway, in Buffalo right now it is a pretty steady wind with heavy rain. Supposed to get much worse as the night wears on.

jones68
10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Fire department just shut my street down big tree fell and took live wires with it they said they are too busy to deal with anything they are just shutting everything down
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
We've got over a foot now. Big snows are nothing new here in the mountainous regions. I'm right at 2800ft, but this wind.... woah, gusts over 50mph. My wife works at a local hospital and it's normally a 12-15 minute drive, this morning over an hour.

According to NOAA up to another foot today.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-30-2012, 11:55 AM
The part of ct i'm in didn't really get hit, really ct as a whole was missed, down by fairfield, and old saybrook got hit hard.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Stay safe out there guys but take advantage and get the money rolling. Im sure lots of help and work is needed just be careful in those conditions.

nashlawn01
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Well
Official weather reports say we got
14.75 inches of
Snow. But that's the heaviest snow I ever plowed

Kelly's Landscaping
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Iv had a client call for a clean up the other day right after the storm. We were stuck at my house from a tree blocking the driveway in the wires. So we called today and her request was pulled why bother cleaning the place when the house is going to be condemned.

We lost 1 major tree and had two bigger ones go in my woods so they can stay there. I have a lot of tree damage though and now have 11 trees that need to be cut down grrrrrrr. So they turned off my power yesterday for a gas line explosion and I took full advantage of that made the 3 or 4 fast cuts that freed the tree from my lines then cut it up. I got about 1.5 cords from this tree now the power is back for us but not my next door neighbors. They cut the lines in that storm when my tree went so somehow I'm now the end of a grid and you can see the lines capped just above my driveway on the road. We called when the power went out they told us Nov 6th so I went looking in 5 stores for a generator last night but could find none so it was a a major relief went he power went on at 9 pm last night. The internet I lost at 11 pm Monday that came back on today around 3 pm. I took 20 yards of debris off my property so far all sticks and logs.

But the damage 3 miles from me is extreme I had heard 2 dozen homes destroyed in my town that has now changed. The estimate is now hundreds of homes will be condemned here. And I am wondering what do I do how do I pay my bills when people who owe me money no longer have homes. My guess is I may lose as many as 12 accounts to this storm due to their homes being destroyed. The lady that told us not to bother isn't even on the beach shes a good 1000 feet from the ocean. I guess that wasn't far enough. As for the winds I got 70s-90s for like 5 hours here and its worse then most cause I am on a hill side that just happens to be the side hurricane winds always come from. So they cross a few flat miles then hit my hill side and go crazy I always get significantly more storm damage then most people do here. I had one gust I am certain was 100 and it started at like 70 then upped its speed then upped it again and again and lasted for what seemed to be 5 mins and the cracking of trees was deafening. I don't think we even got 1/2 of rain that entire storm just wind.

alexschultz1
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Hang in there man, my prayers go out to you and your family