PDA

View Full Version : Everyone in the Northeast ready for the storm?

H & M Yard Improvements
10-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Just finished my preparations. Be safe everyone!

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Guns... Check
Ammo... Check

I think I'm good.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
yes, loose stuff is indoors, and chains saws and other tree removal equipment is at the house and ready to go at a moments notice. everything is sharp, full of oil, i have 8 gallons of gas. 1 gallon of bar oil at my house and 5 more at my shop. can't hook for rolling big logs over, 150ft of 3mm throw line with a 12oz weight. 150ft 5/8ths rigging line rated at 16,500lbs coiled up in a bucket, two stihl ms 200t's with 14" bars ready to go, a 201t ready for action and my stihl 440 with a 28" bar and two spare chains and several files to sharpen all of them and 140 gallons of diesel. The pick up is full, dump truck is full, mini excavator is loaded on the trailer and hooked up to a truck also full of diesel, skid steer is also at the house and can be loaded in 10 mins if needed. bring it on Sandy. the little wonder and back packs are filled up too but i left them at the shop as, I think if there is a lot of tree damage people will want to clean that up first, then get to the leaves, and small branches. also have a few gas water pumps and 4 or 5 3" hoses to help move the water if i get called pump out basements.

SDLandscapes VT
10-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I sharpened the saws and ground the rakers on Friday, all gas cans are full and the tank of diesel is full at the shop. We have a little more lead time as the storm won't be getting to us till late tomorrow and Tuesday. Roll-offs are good to go and skidsteer and grapple are ready to rock. Maybe should reserve a chipper, but don't want to get too carried away.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I sharpened the saws and ground the rakers on Friday, all gas cans are full and the tank of diesel is full at the shop. We have a little more lead time as the storm won't be getting to us till late tomorrow and Tuesday. Roll-offs are good to go and skidsteer and grapple are ready to rock. Maybe should reserve a chipper, but don't want to get too carried away.

i would reserve one, that way you have it, if you don't end up needing it then you don't, but i bought one from a few of the storm clean ups i did in november, along with a new landscape trailer and giant vac leaf vac, and some other toys, but it really has given me a huge roi. i would highly recommend buying one if you can, and if you do make sure it is diesel and can chip 12" not that you need to chip big stuff, but even for chipping stuff that is only 6" it is much nicer to have the capacity to do much bigger stuff.

SDLandscapes VT
10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a tree subcontractor with two chippers and if they don't end up traveling down your way, we will definitely be using them as well. I have a roll-off truck with two dumpsters and the mini-skid--we have a lumber mill here that takes unlimited wood debris that they chip and burn for fuel to dry lumber in the kiln. We can move material in a hurry and in very large quantities, so we only get the chipper if it is really bad. I ll call first thing in the AM

RSK Property Maintenance
10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a tree subcontractor with two chippers and if they don't end up traveling down your way, we will definitely be using them as well. I have a roll-off truck with two dumpsters and the mini-skid--we have a lumber mill here that takes unlimited wood debris that they chip and burn for fuel to dry lumber in the kiln. We can move material in a hurry and in very large quantities, so we only get the chipper if it is really bad. I ll call first thing in the AM

oh nice, yah, I'm not fond of the out of state tree companies, but I guess i just need to open one up myself and i'll feel differently about it. we had a few tree company's from texas here for a few months, last november underbidding work left and right, same with mass. didn't notice any guys from vt, probably because they were small in numbers. but the mass guys were doing work for 1/4 of the price....:rolleyes:

Groomer
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
you guys will be cleaning up until 2014, this storm looks really nasty!

zacher
10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I am getting several reports of trees down all up the coast..

I calculated being modest $460 dollars round trip from here to new york new york the most nothern point I would go...

But do yall think there is money to be made coming from georgia with trees and emergency service?

And if yall have had experience with this before do the homeowners pay you or the government or insurance agencies?

I checked with my insurance agent and my coverage extends to anywhere in the united states so If I were to go work outside the state (i.e. chasing the storm) I am still covered in full...

Calculated risk or stupid decision?

SDLandscapes VT
10-29-2012, 09:57 PM
You need a disaster management broker to line up work
Posted via Mobile Device

ztman
10-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Sandy is alive and well in pennsylvania. Streams are full and the house is shaking, and they say the worst is to come. Guess we could be worse off after looking at the reports from AC and NY. Hunkering down, signing off.

zacher
10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
You need a disaster management broker to line up work
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I have always wondered how to go about doing stuff like that...where would I find one of those or if you could point me in the right direction.

SDLandscapes VT
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
not sure exactly who my tree guy works for, but they got called up and they leave tomorrow AM early for CT--I m sure they ll move around as well

zacher
10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
not sure exactly who my tree guy works for, but they got called up and they leave tomorrow AM early for CT--I m sure they ll move around as well

If you could find out exactly how they got that job would be great! I have always had an interest in that particular type of work for my company.