PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Shredder Idea

Steiner
10-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Ok so I wanted to voice this idea here for any criticism to help me decide.

I run a small design build operation and I remove lots of old plants, debris, as well as spring and fall cleanups. I have a large dump trailer and most of the time take it to my local mulch yard for about 15-30 dollars a tip depending on the amount of stumps and size of the trailer. Yesterday I pulled a half a trailer of cut down maiden grass, browned out hosts, and a few small 2" limbs from pruning and a fall cleanup.

I have a 40'x60' area behind my property which I own and will sometimes dump the debris there if I miss the yard being open. The problem is I don't want to trash up this area and have to have it cleaned out later at a large expense.

My Idea:

Buy a small 8-12 hp debris chipper shredder that can handle limbs and debris up to 2.5 inches and chip what I bring home and let it naturally turn into compost which I can use on my jobs or sell depending on volume. I would obviously buy a used machine on craigslist since I see them almost daily as homeowners buy them and dump them the next year to see if I would like it.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone else do this and what machine size do you have? Do you compost and sell any of it?

2. Is it cost effective and time effective as you use fuel to chip/shred material?

3. Is it simply more economical to drop the debris at the local mulch place and pick up the compost? Am I making more work for myself? County sells great compost for about 16 yard but it is almost 40 minutes away to dump site.

4. What is your advice?

Thanks again
-Chris

White Gardens
10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Probably would take too much time and effort using a small chipper/shredder to create your compost.

So figure the time/expense in processing the debris, which is time away from doing other work.

If you had a small tub grinder, then I could see the amount of time in processing would be much shorter.

DiyDave
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, it will not be cost effective. That small of horsepower equipment does not work out very well, IMHO. Even with a tractor mounted shredder, you still have to feed the crap into it.

cgaengineer
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Ok so I wanted to voice this idea here for any criticism to help me decide.

I run a small design build operation and I remove lots of old plants, debris, as well as spring and fall cleanups. I have a large dump trailer and most of the time take it to my local mulch yard for about 15-30 dollars a tip depending on the amount of stumps and size of the trailer. Yesterday I pulled a half a trailer of cut down maiden grass, browned out hosts, and a few small 2" limbs from pruning and a fall cleanup.

I have a 40'x60' area behind my property which I own and will sometimes dump the debris there if I miss the yard being open. The problem is I don't want to trash up this area and have to have it cleaned out later at a large expense.

My Idea:

Buy a small 8-12 hp debris chipper shredder that can handle limbs and debris up to 2.5 inches and chip what I bring home and let it naturally turn into compost which I can use on my jobs or sell depending on volume. I would obviously buy a used machine on craigslist since I see them almost daily as homeowners buy them and dump them the next year to see if I would like it.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone else do this and what machine size do you have? Do you compost and sell any of it?

2. Is it cost effective and time effective as you use fuel to chip/shred material?

3. Is it simply more economical to drop the debris at the local mulch place and pick up the compost? Am I making more work for myself? County sells great compost for about 16 yard but it is almost 40 minutes away to dump site.

4. What is your advice?

Thanks again
-Chris

That machine you posted a picture of...I had one, works fine with pine and green hardwood...not much else after that. It's slow, way underpowered and will vibrate your hands to death. Th pto of the engine on it does not have ball bearings supporting that heavy flywheel that jams all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
10-29-2012, 06:53 AM
If i was going to do this, i would invest in a large size chipper, like up to 8" or 12" logs. probably a lot more expensive, but those machines are so difficult to use. you have to feed the sticks in one by one and they get clogged real easy. if i had the land and was getting alot of debris id probably get a large chipper
good luck

ed2hess
10-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Way tooo much effort and that chipper is worthless. You have to irrigate the piles and constantly turn them and run them back thru the chipper. It isn't even worth doing as a hobby.

mtdenyer
11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Small chippers are junk. Put $100 bucks in a new engine for an old IH chipper my dad had. It's a 5hp and can barely shred thick twigs. Your better off dumping the leaves and rotating them with a pitch for or a tractor loader. Wet the pile. If you don't rotate it it won't compost. Also keep an eye on the heat. I've seen compost piles catch fire.

White Gardens
11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
One thing I've done this year is to use my leaf loader to load perennial grasses, hostas, and other plant material.

It actually works extremely well. The one material I've had issues with is Russian sage. Just fed it too fast and it clogged the hose a couple of times.

My loader is also set on the tongue of my trailer and the hose I's fairly flat to the ground, so ultimately I have a good path to the loader.

That and I also load all the plant debris with my hands to not overload the loader, along with not clogging the hose.

It really chopped up the material good, and goes to a local organic farm for composting.

GravelyWalker
11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I have had this idea as well. As far as chipping branches into mulch, I think I can be worth it with the right equipment. I started this year keeping all the leaves from leaf removal and composting them over winter. I estimate i will get close to 3-4 yards of compost. Will most likely keep it and use it on my yard/garden but getting a bigger set up would enable me to sell the compost as well

larryinalabama
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Why not buy a towable shreder off ebay, and chip the stuff at the job site.

Those small units wont do what your wanting then to do

White Gardens
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I have had this idea as well. As far as chipping branches into mulch, I think I can be worth it with the right equipment. I started this year keeping all the leaves from leaf removal and composting them over winter. I estimate i will get close to 3-4 yards of compost. Will most likely keep it and use it on my yard/garden but getting a bigger set up would enable me to sell the compost as well

Here's another thing to look at.

The EPA is pretty strict on composting and having the correct site to do it on.

So, you might want to consider the size of your composting operation and the rules and regs before going forward.

GravelyWalker
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Here's another thing to look at.

The EPA is pretty strict on composting and having the correct site to do it on.

So, you might want to consider the size of your composting operation and the rules and regs before going forward.

Yeah have not looked that far into it as far as producing enough for sale just for my property. I really like doing it though and seeing the transformation of the material. I also throw away alot less all of our garden scraps and such get turned into fertile soil.

marcel
11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
i had the same ideas so bought a chipper for the bobcat. to labour intensive. as the other poster said,a tub grinder is the only way to go.also the chips take a long time to compost. we currently compost all our grass clippings and leaves which works great. i than i had to build a trommel screen so that i could clean the material prior to selling it.