PDA

View Full Version : Deck scraping

Wright Lawn
10-29-2012, 01:11 AM
What does everyone use to scrape their decks? Do you spray your decks? What do you use?

yardguy28
10-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I just use a putty knife and do it on a daily basis pretty much.

every time I change/sharpen my blades I scrape the deck. which for me is usually daily.

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
I jack mine up and and pressure wash it

STIHL GUY
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
i use a putty knife as well

yardguy28
10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
pressure washing will allow water to get into the spindles and shorten there life considerably.

Toro 455
10-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Air chisel then spray with used motor oil.

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-29-2012, 10:11 PM
What if you stay way from spindles and grease the afterwards. And wat is the best thing to spray decks with.

Schrock Lawns
10-29-2012, 10:26 PM
What if you stay way from spindles and grease the afterwards. And wat is the best thing to spray decks with.

I use fluidfilm
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
10-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I throw my mulch plate and gators on and go mulch leaves (which works quite awesome I'm finding out, used to be from the bag everything only crowd, used to...) for like 2 weeks. The bottom of your deck will be polished clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

weve
10-30-2012, 01:05 AM
I scrape with a beehive tool and then spray with FluidFilm. I doesn't necessarily keep grass from sticking but makes it easier to scrape off next time.

yardguy28
10-30-2012, 08:14 AM

well personally I NEVER wash any part of my mower ever. I don't spray anything underneath either.

I just stick to scraping daily with a putty knife. doing it daily means there isn't a ton of grass underneath there anyway. and when there is its because I've been mowing wet/damp grass all day and it slides off anyway.

besides like another alreay posted, mow some leaves and your deck will be like new. leaves are like a sand blasting treatment for it.

lawnkingforever
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
well personally I NEVER wash any part of my mower ever. I don't spray anything underneath either.

I just stick to scraping daily with a putty knife. doing it daily means there isn't a ton of grass underneath there anyway. and when there is its because I've been mowing wet/damp grass all day and it slides off anyway.

besides like another alreay posted, mow some leaves and your deck will be like new. leaves are like a sand blasting treatment for it.

I tend to agree. I have a presssure washer and seldom use it on my mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Toro 455
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Anything sprayed on will be wiped off after the first 10 minutes of mowing.

That's why I use old oil. Spray it on of an evening and let it set overnight.

Normal sprayers won't spray oil. It's too heavy. I made a sprayer out of a 20# propane tank and use the full 100 psi of the compressor to spray it.

Using an air chisel reduces deck cleaning from a half a day to about 45 minutes. I only clean the decks when they gotta have it. Maybe once a month. Most in the spring, if I had to mow wet grass.
The air chisel breaks thru hard caked grass and caked on mud. Then the oil soaks thru the rest.

This might not be the absolutely best way to keep a deck in perfect condition. But it's the quickest easiest way I've found to do what I have to do to keep the money flowing in.