PDA

View Full Version : GMC 2500HD vs. F250

Deererunner
10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Ok, so I'm trading in my F150 this week, as long as hurricane Sandy doesn't get in the way with that. I have narrowed it down between a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD and a 2008 F250. Both extended cabs, GM 6.5' and ford 8' bed. I am not to concerned on the bed size, both gas and 4x4. GM - 6.0L and Ford 5.4L. GM - 36,000 miles and Ford 86,000 miles. GM - $24,000 and Ford $22,000.

I know everything there is to know about fords but not so much for GM's. What are some things I should look for with the GM? the 6.0L have any issues like the 5.4 does when it comes time to changing the plugs and what not.

What are your recommendations if you were choosing between these two trucks. Will be used to tow my 16' enclosed, utility and 12k dump trailer. I know the dump trailer over weights it but that will with just about every gas engine. Also I'm de-weighting the dump because of NJ dumb DOT laws!

Curious to hear your thoughts and knowledge on the GM but also feel free to add to the Ford. All is appreciated!

Spring Valley Lawn Service
10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
2000 more fore half the miles a short bed has a better resale value I would go gmc. The 6.0 should have more power and wouldn't be surprised if it got better mpg.

kawakx125
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
don't know of any problems with 6.0's. transmissions are good, i agree with above, only 2k more for less than half the miles on the gm. i think the 6.0's get somwhere around 14mpg. the 5.4 is too small a motor for as big of a truck as the f250 is IMO.

Deererunner
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah that's were I'm at with it, the 2,000 more doesn't bother me, I just don't know anything really about the 6.0's as I do with the 5.4's. Right now I'm leanin towards the gmc.

Also another question, want to see if this seems strange to anyone. I test drove the gmc on Saturday, but the salesman wouldn't let me drive it off the lot, he "had to" and then about a mile down the road switch with me in a lot to drive. Got to drive it on the road and highway and back onto to the lot, just not off it. Should that throw any red flags?? And they also have had it since April. Starting asking price was 31k and now it's all the way down to 24k
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
10-29-2012, 01:55 PM
strange they wouldn't let you drive off lot, but if it seemed fine that wouldn't bother me. sounds like a good deal to me, i'm betting they've had it since april because 31k seems like alot to me for a gasser

Mowingman
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
First, that seems like way too much money for both of those trucks.
Second, the 6.0 will get treeible fuel mileage. I have owned 2 of the 2007, 2500's. Figure about 8-9MPG driving around town, with or without a trailer. To me, the 6.0 felt weak when towing. Seemed like you really had to go pedal to the metal, to get away from a traffic light, without holding up other traffic.
Tough call on which way to go, but I still think they are both overpriced.

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
First, that seems like way too much money for both of those trucks.
Second, the 6.0 will get treeible fuel mileage. I have owned 2 of the 2007, 2500's. Figure about 8-9MPG driving around town, with or without a trailer. To me, the 6.0 felt weak when towing. Seemed like you really had to go pedal to the metal, to get away from a traffic light, without holding up other traffic.
Tough call on which way to go, but I still think they are both overpriced.

If you think that a 6.0 felt weak when towing your trailer don't put a 5.4 ford in front of that trailer.

Sorry but your gonna be leaning on ANY truck pulling a trailer and trying to not be in the way of traffic behind you from stop sign or red light....

I think they sound over priced as well, yes the chevrolets get horrible fuel mileage (I get right at 9 pulling trailer) but the money you will save not repairing the chevrolet over fixing the ford daily you will still be money ahead.:rolleyes:

Bwahahahahaha, Im just messin with you ford guys. We had a 5.4 ford a while back and it was a gutless beach and had problem after problem. Our 6.0 chevrolets have been bullet proof........ Yes horrible fuel mileage but if a handful of trucks wants to treat me the way my chevrolets have, they can get bad mileage. nobodys gonna get good fuel mileage pulling trailer anyways unless you go diesel and with the price of deisel trucks these days I can buy a LOT of gas with the money saved over buying a gas truck over diesel.

mowcrazy
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah that's were I'm at with it, the 2,000 more doesn't bother me, I just don't know anything really about the 6.0's as I do with the 5.4's. Right now I'm leanin towards the gmc.

Also another question, want to see if this seems strange to anyone. I test drove the gmc on Saturday, but the salesman wouldn't let me drive it off the lot, he "had to" and then about a mile down the road switch with me in a lot to drive. Got to drive it on the road and highway and back onto to the lot, just not off it. Should that throw any red flags?? And they also have had it since April. Starting asking price was 31k and now it's all the way down to 24k
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I find that weird. I would just tell them your really leaning towards the gmc but not buying it unless you get a good test drive OFF THE LOT. Around here it seems the lots are all about you getting a nice long test drive even on brand new ones.......

nickslawnltd
10-29-2012, 03:04 PM
The 6.0 is much nicer towing than the 5.4 in the 250. As mentioned above the 5.4 is a little underpowered in the 250. As for the fuel mileage there both going to be within a couple of mpg of each other.

Deererunner
10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah well I could care less about gas mileage. I add it to my cost of jobs as its something you need no matter what. Like others had said, they are gas engines, they are goin to drink gas, especially with a trailer.

Also I know that with it being a gasser, towing is not going tO awesome compared to a diesel but will handle.

I'm mainly looking to see if there are issues I should concerned with the 6.0. I have been towing with a 5.4 and yeah not impressed so I figured I would try the 6.0.

Do you really think the gmc is over priced, I thought it was pretty reasonable, especially from being at a dealer. It barely has any miles on.

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

nickslawnltd
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
My 6.0 has 255000km and nothing but regular maint. The old man had a brand new in 01 that he drove till 600000 km and it was solid other than the manifolds going which was common on the older ones don't know bout the newer ones

kawakx125
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
if you're not concerned with fuel at all, why not get a diesel and open up your options and pulling capabilities? you'll be far happier pulling with one of them especially if you tow alot, and guarantee you'll outlast the gassers

Deererunner
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I would get a diesel but ford doesn't have a reliable one right now unless I go mid 90's or brand new. I'm not a dodge guy so cummins are out and duramax are holding there price to well right and push me out of my limit. I'm trying to say low on the mileage side even though I know that doesn't mean too much with a diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Should be interesting

mattfromNY
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I own 2 6.0's in Chevys and a 5.4 in a F250. The Ford is JUNK!! It falls on its face, the most gutless motor I have ever owned. I honestly believe my old 5.3 Chevy would pull that Ford backwards!

Deererunner
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Should be interesting

Whys that? Because I said that ford doesn't sell a solid diesel engine?

kawakx125
10-29-2012, 09:53 PM
no newer diesel engine with all the emissions crap can hold a candle to any of the older ones without it. ford was plagued with 6.0 problems, not sure about the 6.4 or most recently the 6.7. cummins had alot of issues with the 6.7 also, but 99% of those problems were directly related to the emissions crap( EGR, DPF). get rid of those things and no more problems and much better fuel mileage. unsure of the newer duramax's, but i know any of the diesels with emissons fuel mileage sucks. some of the older duramax's had injector issues. i'm not a dodge guy either, but i can't argue with the cummins track record, the powertrain is solid. I just bought a 6.7, its not nearly as comfortable as my 1500 silverado nor do i think the fit and finish is quite as good, but like i said its gotta be one of the most solid powertrains out there and as far as doin work i'd put it up against anything

Blades Lawn Maintenance
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Whys that? Because I said that ford doesn't sell a solid diesel engine?

Actually no... I'm I the exact same situation. :)I'm been researching theses 2 trucks and I just wanted to know what ppl were gonna say... I've heard Ford 5.4 were not the best for a F250. No harm meant

dareo
10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I know you said you are not a dodge guy. But you owe it to yourself to drive a Cummins turbo diesel. If you can get a nice 2006 or 2007 with the 5.9 you will have all the power you want and get great MPG. Diesel may cost more per gallon but if you can get 14 mpg where a gas might get 10 mpg its huge.

Some of the dodge parts may break and need replacing but the Cummins makes it worth it. I wouldn't get a gas Ram as i believe the chevy/ford/tundra options to be better. Cummins 5.9 > all other engines. Just a shame Ford didn't get the contract instead of Dodge.

KS_Grasscutter
10-29-2012, 11:52 PM
I was thinking to myself the other day when driving my F250 "man, this truck is comfortable to drive". IDK why, Im just growing more and more fond of my Ford. It's a 5.4. It isn't long on power, but I get nearly 9 MPG pulling a 16' trailer around town 90 percent of the time. Nothing I'm interested in complaining about for sure! I'd love to have a late 90's ex cab long bed F250 with a 7.3 PSD, or even a mid 2000s with a 6.o with upgrades. That being said, between your two trucks, def get the Chevy. I loved my ex cab short bed 6.0 with all my heart and I regret every day that I sold it. Not the best on fuel, but I felt like I could pull the gates out of hell with it. Mine was an 07, leather, Bose, low miles...like 40k. A tear is coming to my eye as I type this so I shall stop... but, get the Chevy!

jbell36
10-30-2012, 12:52 AM
I know you said you are not a dodge guy. But you owe it to yourself to drive a Cummins turbo diesel. If you can get a nice 2006 or 2007 with the 5.9 you will have all the power you want and get great MPG. Diesel may cost more per gallon but if you can get 14 mpg where a gas might get 10 mpg its huge.

Some of the dodge parts may break and need replacing but the Cummins makes it worth it. I wouldn't get a gas Ram as i believe the chevy/ford/tundra options to be better. Cummins 5.9 > all other engines. Just a shame Ford didn't get the contract instead of Dodge.

i've never thought of that, ford getting the cummins contract from the beginning...that would've been game over

kawakx125
10-30-2012, 08:07 AM
the duramax/powerstrokes are v8 diesel engines built for trucks. the cummins are industrial duty diesel engines adapted for use in trucks. Inline 6, built like tanks. only reason i bought a dodge, i'm a chevy guy at heart. I've always said that a ford body with a chevy interior, a cummins engine, and an allison transmission would be the ultimate bulletproof truck.

dareo
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Plenty of people have an F250 or F350 with Cummins power. They had to make it themselves. www.fordcummins.com is one of the bigger companies selling adaptors. It's not cheap but if you have a 6.0 powerstroke engine that needs work or a rebuild you are talking big bucks either way. Those guys even sell adaptors to use the allison transmission if you want to get really sophisticated.

Nice winter project for those DIY mechanics out there.

The cummins 5.9 has powered much larger vehicles like school busses full of fat children. It is very overbuilt for anything in the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup range.

matt25738
10-31-2012, 02:30 AM
The only big issue your going to run into with Dodge is the transmission. The Cummins is by far one of the best diesel engines you can get. The problem is the tranny can't handle the power.

With that said, 2500HD Duramax is the way to go otherwise. Allison Transmission and plenty of power. I've got two in my fleet (Just purchased my second one for $16,800 today). We have alot of hills around here and it handles it like a boss. You would never know a trailer was even attached, and we pull a 16ft enclosed daily.

SRT8
10-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Plenty of people have an F250 or F350 with Cummins power. They had to make it themselves. www.fordcummins.com is one of the bigger companies selling adaptors. It's not cheap but if you have a 6.0 powerstroke engine that needs work or a rebuild you are talking big bucks either way. Those guys even sell adaptors to use the allison transmission if you want to get really sophisticated.

Nice winter project for those DIY mechanics out there.

The cummins 5.9 has powered much larger vehicles like school busses full of fat children. It is very overbuilt for anything in the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup range.

Doesnt Ford use the 5.9 cummins in their F650's? And they also use the CAT engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

dareo
10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes, you can find medium duty fords with Cummins power. The contract only gave Dodge exclusivity for the light duty sector.

The dodge transmissions are not bad. They are not great, but you can get a good lifespan out of them and rebuilds are cheap.

The allison isn't un killable or anything. In fact, the guys that really go all out performance on a duramax swap in a built dodge trans.

At stock power the dodge is decent. Many people can get at least 100k out of it, sometimes 200k. If you want to run around with 500 hp 1000 lb torque you will need a strong trans build to the tune of about 5000+ but they can be built to hold up. The cool thing about a cummins/duramax is you can really decide how much HP you want and set it up that way. The bad rap on dodge trannies usually comes from people running a lot more than stock power with a stock trans and yeah that breaks them quick.

The only bad thing i can say about a Duramax, is people don't usually sell them for any kind of a good price. The duramax is only about 50% as reliable as a Cummins but the rest of the truck and trans make up for it. But it still a solid truck if you get around 2006.

MDLawn
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
I've pulled with both motors but trucks were different configurations 06 Chevy ext cab short bed 4x2, 06 Ford ext cab long bed 4x4. Not one felt truly stronger than the other. I owned the Ford and borrowed the Chevy while my ford was getting new bedsides. Own a V10 now and notice very minimal difference in mpg but much more towing power. Only reason I sold the 5.4 truck was because it was turning into a rot box. I think you can get a better price too.

The 5.4 was a fine truck and towed what I needed it to. Would I buy one again? Sure.

I also invested in a dually. Wow, much more stable towing platform when my 14k dump trailer is fully loaded!

hosejockey2002
11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
i've never thought of that, ford getting the cummins contract from the beginning...that would've been game over

This is getting off-topic, but it wasn't as though Ford tried to get a Cummins "contract" when the Dodge first came out with the Cummins. Ford has used an International-sourced commercial diesel (the 6.9, later 7.3 IDI) for years and was the king of the hill in pickup diesels at the time. GM had the Detroit Diesel sourced 6.2 which evolved into the 6.5 turbo. Ford and GM also had strong big-block gas engines to offer.

Dodge has basically nothing to compete with Ford and GM at the time. Their biggest engine offering in a HD pickup in the late 80s was the old 360 small block, which was a durable engine but a gutless turd compared to the Ford and GM big blocks. Teaming up with Cummins IMO was a brilliant move that saved Dodge HD pickups from extinction. Dodge did offer the V10 in later years which they say was discontinued due to emissions, but I suspect the V10 was cutting into the more profitable Cummins sales. Diesel guys don't like to admit this, but even though the 8.0 V10 was a horrible gas guzzler, when it came out in 1994 it would kick the living snot out of the stock Cummins in performance. Ok, end of history lesson. :)

Gmgbo
11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
ohhhhh god the the diesel debate. I have 3 6.0 chevys, common problems: front wheel bearing, exhaust manifold bolts snapping off.

I also have an 2005 duramax: Injectors, head gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, and other small items.

I could have bought another 6.0 with the money put into durmax

The 6.0 have good power, and are very reliable

Bautieri
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The 08 5.4 didn't have the two piece spark plugs which liked to go ker-snappity when you remove them. That (power?)stroke of engineering genius is, to the best of my knowledge, in the 2003-2006.5 5.4. I snapped 5 when changing mine, just make sure you have the extraction tool on hand before you start this project. If you're careful, you won't have to pull the head. I think the question I'd be asking myself is if I want a solid front axle or IFS. Which will work better for my application, etc.

Sometimes it is best to stick with the evil you know. I'd also try shopping around a bit, you should be able to find a 5.4 F-250 for way less than that!

burnsyscapes
11-06-2012, 02:30 PM
i have a 07 chevy 6.0l. new body. in 6 months it has had 2 transmissons in it with it being in the shop for 4 other different powertrain issues. it gets horrible gas milage. off a 26 gallon tank i get about 180 miles to a tank when only towing a 6x10 trailer with a 60 in turf tracer on it dailey. its horrible on gas

i probably will not get one ever again. 8k on gas for an average of 15k miles a year? no thank you.

mowcrazy
11-17-2012, 11:51 PM
i have a 07 chevy 6.0l. new body. in 6 months it has had 2 transmissons in it with it being in the shop for 4 other different powertrain issues. it gets horrible gas milage. off a 26 gallon tank i get about 180 miles to a tank when only towing a 6x10 trailer with a 60 in turf tracer on it dailey. its horrible on gas

i probably will not get one ever again. 8k on gas for an average of 15k miles a year? no thank you.

Hey you feel the same way about your chev as i do the junk ass ford i bought...... good ones and bad ones out there....... i bought a 97 psd 7.3........ supposedly the most bulletproof truck ford ever made per the mechanics at ford i talked to......... if they based that off my truck alone id say ford would be out of business long ago because if its not one thing its another with that darn truck...... my 6.0 chevys while terrible on gas have been scary reliable....... as for the ford, well it lives at the repair shop and this truck came from a one owner older fella with receipts since new..... ican tell ya that since i bought that joke of a truck ive got another 7k more in receipts to tack onto all his....... my chevrolets have oil change receipts, tire receipts and brakes........ thats it. Like i said good ones and bad ones......
Posted via Mobile Device

Tharrell
11-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I bought a new GMC 2500 in late '07 with the 6.0 classic body style.
Got it brand new for $20k.
Mine's 2 wd, 8ft bed. Just a work truck but it is very nice, cloth seats, chrome etc...
Around 85k on it now and I've done regular maint., no problems.
Gas mileage without a trailer is around 12 around town.
Pulling my tandem trailer loaded is around 8-9 and a lot of my driving is hwy.
Love it and will probably get another one next year.

CS-LAWNSERVICE
11-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Yeah I find that weird. I would just tell them your really leaning towards the gmc but not buying it unless you get a good test drive OFF THE LOT. Around here it seems the lots are all about you getting a nice long test drive even on brand new ones.......

Yes here too.the lots will let you take a truck or car home for a couple days to make sure you like it

MDLawn
11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Yes here too.the lots will let you take a truck or car home for a couple days to make sure you like it

I think it's just a good sales technique to get people hooked on the vehicle. It's in YOUR driveway, take it whenever YOU want to go drive, YOU can show it off to YOUR friends and family. They want you to not be able to live without it.

A dealer did that with me about 6 years ago when I was looking at an 04 6.0 Ford. I really wasn't interested after I found a few odd ball things with the truck but they insisted I take the truck home. I did and found out the 4x4 shifter wouldn't shift and that in a XL truck that diesel just rattled my brain! Thankfully I didn't get that 6.oh no!

Deererunner
11-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey thanks for all the great advice. I went to go purchase the gmc but when I was at the dealer and they appraised my f150 that I would be trading in they offered me $1,500!!! I was never so insulted before, 2003 F150 xlt 4x4 sport with 130k, and was offered 1500, I thought that was insane and then to top it off they wouldn't budge on the truck price either so I ended up walking. The manager was an a**. Funny thing is though 2 days later the same salesman calls me and left me a message saying he is no longer with that ford dealer and is with a Chevy down the road and would love to make a deal with one of his trucks. Too bad though he didn't h e anything I liked.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I know you need a ride but why not sell your truck yourself if you think it's worth more. When buying and trading it's all one big pot of money. They can play it any way the want. More for your trade, sell the truck for less..... I'm not sure how you approached the sale but you need to have a number to give them. Such as "with my trade and the sale I'd like the final price to be at $XX,XXX". Shoot low so they can counter and see what happens. That way they know where you're at. But don't give them the "comfortable payment". When I got my truck that's how I did it and the sales manager was less than friendly too. I said this is the price I want with trade (and I still owed on my truck). They said they could and I'm sure they made money. Good for them they're supposed to. Remember if you sell something yourself no one will agree with your price.

Also I've seen private sellers selling 03 F150 SuperCab XLT 4x4's with similar mileage for $4000 or less. And not rot boxes either. So the trade isnt that far off. It's almost a 10 year old truck that will more than likely but pushed through auction. Them or any dealer has ZERO interest in that truck in terms of selling it on their lot.

Make them an offer they can, yes can, refuse. BUT.....if you want a vehicle you have to move on it. That's why you need to have a number to give and not just one you pull out of the top of your head.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deererunner
11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah thanks for the lesson but it's not my first time buying and selling... Anyone knows though that the trade in was too low. That's not my point for this thread but again, thank you for telling me common sense knowledge.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
It's a dealer did you expect them to give you top dollar for your truck? It's going to be 10 years old, they'll get no value out of it at that age. Another dealer could give you 3 grand for trade in and not budge on selling price or give 3 grand off selling price and garbage for trade. What is your f150 anyways? Cab/4wd etc.... A lot of us think our trucks are worth soo much when in reality they're not. 3/4-1 ton you'd been in a different world. F150's are a dime a dozen. I did not want to come across as "giving a lesson" sorry if I did.
Posted via Mobile Device

itteitj
11-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I have a 05 gmc 2500 xcab with a 6.2 and a 03 f250. 5.4 and std cab.mileage is same, towing is the same and repairs are not to bad on either. i bought the gmc new and couldnt use it because of the bed size. i bought the f250 with 88k on it and i love it. all around better for me and it was my first ford since hs, a 53 2 door. I would not hesitate to buy a used f250 if its in good condition.