PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental grass

orinicklawncare
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey everyone I have a job that requires around 40 median grass bushes need trimmed back for winter. Just wondering on the right way to price it. Any input is well appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

andersman02
11-02-2012, 07:32 PM
how long do you think itll take per bush?

i would do an experiment, go find a few ornamental grasses, ducktape around them and cut em 6" above soil line, see how long it takes
id say maybe 1.5-2 mh depending on location, add in overhead such as gas and disposal, id charge around 200-300 all depending on location and ease of dump

RigglePLC
11-03-2012, 10:08 AM
How big is "median"? Are these 18 inches--or more like 10 feet tall? 8 inches diameter or 36 inches diameter? Does this include haul-away of residue?

I think it would be easiest to tie the clump securely with twine in two places. Cut down with a saw. Stack on your trailer like cordwood. $20 per clump--more, if two people are needed.

White Gardens
11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I think it would be easiest to tie the clump securely with twine in two places. Cut down with a saw. Stack on your trailer like cordwood. $20 per clump--more, if two people are needed.

Tieing them off is a waste of time for us.

If you've got a leaf loader, here's the easiest way.

Find a day with little to no wind.

Use an articulating hedge trimmer on the end of a string trimmer (extended reach), go to town cutting them down.

Have a helper behind you raking up the debris, then take to said leaf loader and load them into the truck.

This method will speed up the whole process getting it done in half the time. That and you don't do the "grab and cut" method which could potentially cut someone's finger off.

12 man hours tops along with hauling. Add a few hours for good measure.

Then when you get it done in a total of 6 man hours, you'll have a nice payday. There's pride and money in efficiency.

Weekend cut easymoney
11-04-2012, 12:59 AM
we cut them with a hedge trimmer and rake them out into the lawn and mow over them several times--typically will reduce it to almost 10 percent of mass...then rake up and bag the rest-

Groomer
11-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I have a bunch here at the house- after they start to lose color, we twine them tight, and fire up the gas hedge trimmers, cut 'em as close to the ground I can. Haul them to the mulch processing center.