PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove straw for winter?

CFLS22
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey guys, I just did a lawn install about a month ago. I seeded and put down straw and all. My question is should I remove the straw for winter or leave it on to sort of incubate the new growth? Thanks

Richard Martin
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't like to leave straw down for long. It tends to matt up and kill any grass that may be trying to grow there. Whole straw takes a while to decompose. Chop it into smaller pieces with your mower if you can.

Smallaxe
11-03-2012, 09:43 AM
My vote is for mulching it in with a mower as well... I never use straw except in severe circumstances and it is best to use chopped straw, if possible...

CFLS22
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
My vote is for mulching it in with a mower as well... I never use straw except in severe circumstances and it is best to use chopped straw, if possible...

Gotcha... I was Gona mulch but honestly not sure if hay or straw was used and really don't want to mulch straw seeds into lawn if it is straw ha
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
11-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Gotcha... I was Gona mulch but honestly not sure if hay or straw was used and really don't want to mulch straw seeds into lawn if it is straw ha
Posted via Mobile Device

another reason to quit using straw... if you think that your weed seeds have not already been washed from the straw and contaminated your soil, then you're not really aware of what kind of straw you have... mulching straw down into the turf does not increase the risk of weeds if you got bad straw to begin with... :)

LandFakers
11-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I would just rake it up, but just my 2 cents