PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting in the same spot

mac43rn
01-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Well, here I am again looking for valuable information. I purchased our house back in Sept 2001. The house was built and landscaping was already in, lots of it. Top soil was added (still clay topsoil) and mulched. The areas around the edge were planted in concrete like clay soil. Yes they survived, but you can tell they are just not healthy. I was thinking of digging up the plants, applying an organic compost and turface and then replanting back in their original spot. What do you guys think. Any other suggestions. How difficult of a job are we talking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Lanelle
01-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Seems that the size of the material, hence the size of the root ball, and the type of equipment available will dictate whether this is an easy project or not. Details?

mac43rn
01-25-2003, 04:37 PM
most of the plants I want to transplant are rather small, 1/2 gallon to three gallon plants.

thanks

AGLA
01-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Do it. Wait till the end of winter, but before growth starts in spring. If you do it too early in the winter you will risk losing a lot of twigs or plants because of moisture loss within the plant.

When you replant them, bury them 1/2 - 3/4 and then flood the hole to settle any voids so that the root ball has a good contact with the backfill and surrounding soil for water exchange.

Be very carefull that you do not create buckets out of the clay around your plants that hold water and saturate the root ball all the time.

lawnstudent
01-27-2003, 08:38 AM
If you are going to do this, remeber that the roots of a woody plant are going to grow out much further than the current size of the root ball. You are going to have to amend a very large area for this to be effective! Especially if they are trees!!!! Good luck.

jim