PDA

View Full Version : Figuring curbside leaf removal

FerrisDiesel
11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm curious to see how you guys come up with a price in regards to curbside leaf pick ups. I haven't done alot of them, but want to do more of them this year, but I want the pricing to be spot on. I have a couple places I can dump for free, and the rest up in the northern part of the state I dump at the landfill for $20.00 a load.
I'm not looking for your prices, just a formula to make sure I have everything covered, ex:

time to suck up pile x dumping fee x mileage = price

or

hourly rate / time to suck up pile + dumping fee = price

??

Rvldesign
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Most will want to pay $20 so I'd do that lol. Or one of your formulas
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
11-04-2012, 04:50 PM
if I dump at the curb I let the city pick them up. after all that's why we pay taxes.

otherwise they go in the truck and off to the compost site.

FerrisDiesel
11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
When I say curbside pick up, I mean I give the customer the option to rake all the leaves to the curb and I suck them up with my leaf vaccum. Alot of the towns here don't offer curbside pickup unless you put them in brown lawn bags.
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
11-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm curious to see how you guys come up with a price in regards to curbside leaf pick ups. I haven't done alot of them, but want to do more of them this year, but I want the pricing to be spot on. I have a couple places I can dump for free, and the rest up in the northern part of the state I dump at the landfill for $20.00 a load.
I'm not looking for your prices, just a formula to make sure I have everything covered, ex:

time to suck up pile x dumping fee x mileage = price

or

hourly rate / time to suck up pile + dumping fee = price

??

Only you can figure out that price. You know what you use for equipment and how you go about the job. I have sucked up lots of customer raked piles over the years and have sucked up piles for other mowing opperators that didn't have the proper equipment. It didn't take long to find out that mr home owner puts all kinds of "stuff" into the pile. You need to figure at least an extra 1/2 hour for junk removal. I worked on an hourly $$ value. You need to know how big of a pile will fit into your truck and how long it will take to suck it up. Dry leaves go a lot faster than wet and most times the home owner will take his time putting up the piles, meaning they will most likly be wet and packed down by the time your called to remove them. Its better to figure on the high side for each job when giving an estemate to cover yourself for the unknown.

vaacutabove
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
My min. Is 50 most times thats all i charge but the fuel is a big thing for me the dump truck I use gets 8-9 mpg.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Good thread, im curious as to how guys that do the curbside thing price out. I mean like anything else everyone's numbers are going different however this year I have had to turn down 5 large leaf jobs a few of which were for large HOA's that wanted curbside only. I am planning on adding a dump trailer next year and hope to put a leaf rig on it next fall.

I have alot of places that the township does leaf collection however leaving the site totally clean with no leaves blowing back in the yard is more ideal. I suppose thats IF you already have the rig.

yardguy28
11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
When I say curbside pick up, I mean I give the customer the option to rake all the leaves to the curb and I suck them up with my leaf vaccum. Alot of the towns here don't offer curbside pickup unless you put them in brown lawn bags.
Posted via Mobile Device

sounds like a money looser by giving them the option to rake the leaves themselves.

FerrisDiesel
11-05-2012, 05:49 PM
sounds like a money looser by giving them the option to rake the leaves themselves.

All of my weekly lawn customers have me do full service fall clean-ups. There are some people in the towns that I service that just can't afford a $300.00 clean-up, or they just like to rake the leaves themselves. There are alot of companies around here that do "You rake them, we take them" and make a boatload of money doing so especially if you have a very efficient setup.

djlunchbox
11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I start at 75 and go up depending on amount. After you use the vac for a year, youll know around how long it will take. Never quote a pile removal over the phone. ;)

nobagger
11-05-2012, 06:02 PM
My advise.....don't offer curb side removal! Its never worth it. People rake all kinds of sticks, rocks and whatever else will damage your loader and expect to pay 50 bucks for it. We used to offer it but only ever did less than 5 and out of those 5 or so we took more time picking out good sized branches, rocks, dog leashes and anything else these people thought our "huge vac" could suck up.

yardguy28
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
All of my weekly lawn customers have me do full service fall clean-ups. There are some people in the towns that I service that just can't afford a $300.00 clean-up, or they just like to rake the leaves themselves. There are alot of companies around here that do "You rake them, we take them" and make a boatload of money doing so especially if you have a very efficient setup.

$300 for a clean up.....:dizzy:

that's part of your problem.

I service my clients weekly for fall clean ups and I charge them like $10/$15 extra for the 10/15 extra min I'm there dealing with the grass catcher and blowing out the mulch beds.

FerrisDiesel
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM

I service my clients weekly for fall clean ups and I charge them like $10/$15 extra for the 10/15 extra min I'm there dealing with the grass catcher and blowing out the mulch beds.

I'm not sure where you are located, but most of my lawns are pretty big and COVERED in oak trees $300.00 is not alot of money for a full service clean-up. Istart servicing my lawns bi-weekly in October until all the leaves fall, and it doesn't take anywhere near 10-15 minutes extra.

nobagger
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM

You must do some very small lawns with minimal trees....like 1 sapling.

yardguy28
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
quarter to half an acre is the average with usually not more than half a dozen trees.

mulch on the first pass, bag on the second pass. doing it that way I empty the catcher twice total.

gene gls
11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
quarter to half an acre is the average with usually not more than half a dozen trees.

mulch on the first pass, bag on the second pass. doing it that way I empty the catcher twice total.

I run a Walker with a 7 bushel hopper. I did a 1.5 acre property last week that I had 63 hoppers full ......

yardguy28
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I run a Walker with a 7 bushel hopper. I did a 1.5 acre property last week that I had 63 hoppers full ......

did you mulch them up first or collect on the first pass?

I throw the catcher make the first pass and don't empty it until I've made a pass over all turf areas. once the catcher is full it makes rows of mulched up leaves.

then I make a second pass in a different direction. usually I can make it through the yard again without dumping but if I can't I keep going and empty when done and make a third pass.

my grass catchers are 3 bushels. so average I get 6 bushels from each property on a weekly basis.

grasscutter24
11-06-2012, 09:10 PM
My advise.....don't offer curb side removal! Its never worth it. People rake all kinds of sticks, rocks and whatever else will damage your loader and expect to pay 50 bucks for it. We used to offer it but only ever did less than 5 and out of those 5 or so we took more time picking out good sized branches, rocks, dog leashes and anything else these people thought our "huge vac" could suck up.

So true. I no longer offer curb side pick-up either. Got tired of all the trash that people would put in the piles. On top of that the same people expect to pay nothing because "they did all of the work." No thanks!

SDLandscapes VT
11-07-2012, 12:11 AM
I really get a kick out of the guys from the midwest telling us guys in new england to mulch leaves--that would be an exercise in futility

I worked for three seasons in Minnesota, four seasons in South Carolina, and the rest of my life in Vermont--New England has the most leaves by far and you have to own and know how to manage several different leaf control systems--from blowers and leaf plows to bagging systems and most definitely a truck loader

We take care of properties all less than 1.5 acres and with a three man crew we clean between 4 to 6 a day

Uranus
11-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Labor rate + disposal fee + extra profit to stick in your pocket.

Don't do it if your not hitting a homerun. If you dump for free still charge them a dumping fee. They need it gone, you need $$$$, and you have other jobs that could be getting done. If you find trash, rocks, or large sticks, toss them back into their yard. Keep your eyes open. It's a leaf vac not a wood chipper.

MOW ED
11-07-2012, 07:20 AM

I'm gonna say he did not mulch first. I know the Walker is good at vacuuming but I have found that my Toro 62 with atomic blades are better at mulching. Then I take the Walker and pick up. I found a reduction of at least 10:1 if not greater depending on leaf moisture. That 63 hoppers would be 6 or 7 after a good shredding. I found it takes less work doing that and its easier on my old Walker which is still up to the task but I like preserving it.

White Gardens
11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
We provide optional curb-side pick up in the small town I live in.

The only other option is to burn the leaves.

I pretty much charge 1.50 a minute. So far there has been no charge above 25 bucks to pick up someones leaves from the curb.

So ultimately I can gross about 80 bucks to load the truck and with the leaf loader and just picking up piles, it takes about an hour to load the truck.

Now, it might be cheap to some, but my whole thought process was to give people a cost effective alternative to burning leaves in our small town. Ultimately I'm just trying to help out the community.

gene gls
11-07-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm gonna say he did not mulch first. I know the Walker is good at vacuuming but I have found that my Toro 62 with atomic blades are better at mulching. Then I take the Walker and pick up. I found a reduction of at least 10:1 if not greater depending on leaf moisture. That 63 hoppers would be 6 or 7 after a good shredding. I found it takes less work doing that and its easier on my old Walker which is still up to the task but I like preserving it.

No, I didn't mulch first. My buddy is busting me all the time for that. I did try it on an area with poor grass, left the hopper door open for a while and ran over the leaves. The walker chops them up guit well and I had a mess. In order to pick up the small pieces I had to drop the deck to the ground and I don't like that. I don't like to see scalped grass. I prefer to just go over the lawn one time. I have onsite dumping on all the properties that I do and it doesen't matter how well everything gets chopped up.

nobagger
11-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I really get a kick out of the guys from the midwest telling us guys in new england to mulch leaves--that would be an exercise in futility

I worked for three seasons in Minnesota, four seasons in South Carolina, and the rest of my life in Vermont--New England has the most leaves by far and you have to own and know how to manage several different leaf control systems--from blowers and leaf plows to bagging systems and most definitely a truck loader

We take care of properties all less than 1.5 acres and with a three man crew we clean between 4 to 6 a day

I know, really. Lets try to mulch up 4" of leaves on a 1/2 acre with 10 mature trees on it and have it looking nice.

CTmower
11-07-2012, 09:11 AM
In CT I advertise "Curbside leaf removal" and Fall cleanups. I always go to the property to view and kick the pile before I give a price. My first year in business I gave way too many quotes over the phone or did a quick drive by. Too many piles look fluffy and easy on top, only to find 1 month old drenched leaves underneath!!
My curbside pickups start at $50 and I've done one this year for $150 (3 full loads hauled to my local compost farm). It takes gas to drive to the property, gas to operate the leaf loader, gas to drive to dump the haul, and most importantly it takes your time. Add in wear and tear + insurance + MONEY IN YOUR POCKET. No curbside pickup is worth $20 to me. I figure most jobs cost minimal $10-15 just for my gas expenses. If someone thinks your prices are too high hand them a pile of leaf bags and tell them to have a great day!!!

MDLawn
11-07-2012, 10:41 AM

I service weekly at have always charged 2.5-3x their current rate for mulching leaves, ZERO complaints. It may only take me an extra 10 minutes the first time or two but then its up to 30-40minutes extra. I may take more in the begining but it evens out in the end. Works for me and ZERO complaints. Then a final clean up is done and $300 is just a start.....

I also started a thread on curbside removal. The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.

White Gardens
11-07-2012, 04:03 PM
The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.

In our case, we sent out 500 mailers locally to offer the service. In there it explicitly states that all debris and garbage must be removed. So far so good, the piles have been clean of debris.

As of right now, out of 15 households, only one was a waded mess of leaves that took more time to load.

Overall, yes, we're probable not charging enough for the service, but it was more giving back to the community type of deal as the local village can't afford leaf pick-up services.

Where we make our money with the leaf loader is fall cleanup work. We charge per man hour and come out pretty good knowing that others are out there charging half of what we do to do cleanups.

Ultimately too, we live in the lowest part of the town. When everyone burns and the air settles at night, then our house smells like a big fire even with the windows closed.

All the debris also goes to a local organic farm where they compost and re-use the leaf debris for animal bedding.

yardguy28
11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I service weekly at have always charged 2.5-3x their current rate for mulching leaves, ZERO complaints. It may only take me an extra 10 minutes the first time or two but then its up to 30-40minutes extra. I may take more in the begining but it evens out in the end. Works for me and ZERO complaints. Then a final clean up is done and $300 is just a start.....

I also started a thread on curbside removal. The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.

well you live in a different state than me where the market is different for one thing.

another is it takes me 10/15 min extra each week all fall long. I never need to spend more than that.

each week the property is left virtually spotless so there really isn't a final clean up that's more than the weekly clean ups.

MDLawn
11-07-2012, 08:33 PM
So you're calling out people for charging too much yet state that one area can support those rates..... Why call out someone in the first place when you admit it could be acceptable?......
Posted via Mobile Device

andersman02
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Personally we charge 330 MINIMUM to do fall cleanups, we come out twice, one mid leaf fall and one final cleanup.... This year sucked as we started later and basically had about 3/4 the leaves already down because of the crappy summer and early spring. BUT this makes the 2nd round much much faster, we also mulch a bit first then suck'er up and dump into our 550

I dont see much of a price difference to be honest....if we did like you do, we would have minimum of 5-6 weeks of cleaning up, 35$/ mow MINIMUM (our starting mowing price) plus $15 = $50 times 5-6 and your already at $250-300, plus your LOSING more money for drivetime in addition to increasing possibility of lawn damage (mowing grass thats not growing over and over again without much leaf cover)

As for this thread, im interested also in the leaf pick-up service as well, we get some new customers bauking at our prices (Customers we havent done work for) before seeing how much work we actually do and itd be nice to give a cheaper alternative. But first we need a leaf loader, seeing how money is short now, were waiting till next year and hopefully laying some serious cash down on a 20+ hp model giant vac

For the junk situation in the leaf piles, i would for sure put a clause in our contract thoroughly explaining that any trash found in the pile is subject to an extra charge.

FerrisDiesel
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Labor rate + disposal fee + extra profit to stick in your pocket.

Don't do it if your not hitting a homerun. If you dump for free still charge them a dumping fee. They need it gone, you need $$$$, and you have other jobs that could be getting done. If you find trash, rocks, or large sticks, toss them back into their yard. Keep your eyes open. It's a leaf vac not a wood chipper.

That's what I was looking for! I picked up a pile the other day, it took me 20 minutes and filled up half the truck. I had to use my Walker to push them a little closer to the truck. I charged the guy $50.00......not bad for 20 minutes and I still had room in the truck for another pile later in the day. He was happy, I was happy....win win

FerrisDiesel
11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Also a little FYI......I had been using a regular plastic leaf rake to feed the loader and it snapped the other day. Of course it was the only rake I had with me, so instead I grabbed one of my long handled flat shovels and let me tell you!!! Obviously alot stronger than a plastic rake, but it also feeds in the perfect amount of leaves to the loader, I didn't have one clog all day long! Wish I had been using it all along, what a time saver!

Uranus
11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Also a little FYI......I had been using a regular plastic leaf rake to feed the loader and it snapped the other day. Of course it was the only rake I had with me.

I snap 4 or 5 rakes a year loading my leaf loader. Just the nature of the beast. When I set up for cleanups I go in my hand tool shed and grab 4 or 5 or 6 leaf rakes. When one breaks I toss it in the trailer cage and grab another. I keep the broken ones and try to rebuild them. Some break the rake and some break the handle. Anything to save a buck or 2 or 15.

FerrisDiesel
11-09-2012, 10:41 PM
You gotta try the shovel man!!! I get the bulk of it with the shovel and then rake up the rest......saves so much time!

yardguy28
11-10-2012, 06:36 AM
looks like the mods raided this thread and removed a few HARMLESS posts made by myself and darryl.

what an unfun place this site is getting to be.

SDLandscapes VT
11-10-2012, 07:33 AM
We just upgraded to a larger tow behind leaf loader behind our dumpster truck. We may try to develop this service in the coming years to add additional billable time to the loader and truck
Posted via Mobile Device

FerrisDiesel
11-10-2012, 08:24 AM
We just upgraded to a larger tow behind leaf loader behind our dumpster truck. We may try to develop this service in the coming years to add additional billable time to the loader and truck
Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of dumpster truck do you have? A roll off truck? Got any pictures? I have been toying with the idea of getting a roll off truck, it's so versatile!

SDLandscapes VT
11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
check here for pics www.facebook.com/landscapevermont

Darryl G
11-10-2012, 09:14 PM
looks like the mods raided this thread and removed a few HARMLESS posts made by myself and darryl.

what an unfun place this site is getting to be.

Yeah, what's with that? Was all in fun.

FYI - I never mulch people...too messy. Better to bag them whole. :laugh:

yardguy28
11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah, what's with that? Was all in fun.

FYI - I never mulch people...too messy. Better to bag them whole. :laugh:

yeah I thought it was all in fun as well

FerrisDiesel
11-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Nice set-up! I love the roll off with the leaf box on top, must be very efficient!

SDLandscapes VT
11-11-2012, 11:31 PM
we love the new leaf setup--the box holds almost 30 yds compressed and with the right schedule can go for two full days of clean-ups with no dumping

elbow300
11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Curb-side pick up is the only service I will quote over the phone. There are several key questions that have to be asked though. First is when the leaves were piled. if it was before the last rain, the cost has to be increased. If it is a "perpetual pile" that the homeowner started in the beginning of the season, and called you at the end, you can bet on scooping the leaves by hand and loading them manually, unless you have an enormous loader. Next is the surface under the pile. I lost bad on a pile in a rip-rap ditch. I quoted a client $75 for a pick up, and spent 5 hours with 2 men at $15 per hour and 5 gallons of fuel trying to peel the leaves out of the rocks. I spent $175.00 to make $75. I always add the disclaimer to the quote that brush is not included in leaf pick up. If there is a lot of brush in the leaves, the process slows way down, and it has to be loaded by hand if you are taking it as well. Looking at a job prior to quoting is always better, but I have managed to do well on pick ups asking these questions and saving a trip.

eaglescout1993
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
My terms are 10 or closer to the curb and off of the street as much as possible. Iv got a 16hp billy goat loader with 10in intake. 90% of my work is with in 2 miles of my house so i know what every yard looks like. Ill quote a price range giving me $30 of float over the phone. or give exact price at door. Takes me 30min to do a small yard and iv taken 2 hrs on a 300ftx6ftx8ft ($300) pile. My minimum price is $75 per pile and i go up from there. Normally it ends up being 50-60% of the full job price - for me to clean everything out from the beds and from all of the yard.

I have had very minimum problems with trash and stick. I know almost all my customer on a first name basis which helps. Honestly i just leave the trash behind and haul off the few sticks that may get in. At the end of the day a small pile of sticks isnt going to break my bank. $10 bucks at the dump on the way home after making a $1000 or more is stupid to argue over. If someone calls me out on leaving the trash i simply explain im not Wast Management and they usually stop their compliant there.

mtdman
12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
I do both the full cleanups and removals, and just the curbside pickups. The curbside pickups are great because you can add them in between the cleanups and fill your day in. While the crew is finishing a cleanup, I go do a pickup and fill in the day. I don't really have a problem with debris and junk in the piles, the worst I get is a few sticks and sometimes a plant or two. We've got a lot of trees around here, and a lot of leaves. Yet some people insist on doing the work themselves, but don't want to bag them up. Doing the curbside pickup works well, imo.

It usually takes me about 30 min to do a removal. Normally I base my labor charges on $60 an hour, but I have a minimum of $60 per removal. Unless they're really small. We get to dump for free, and there compost place is pretty central in town so there's not much of a travel.

My biggest issue is the wet leaves that people pile up and leave there for a while. And/or the leaves people pile in the streets, whcih then end up getting soggy and wet. Wet leaves suck, especially wet oak leaves.

moremow
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Maybe this site should think of taking care of removing the annoying popup advertisements instead of removing peoples posts. You know the site is having issues when before your even able to enter your screen name & password that you have to "close a crappy popup advertisement".

yardguy28
12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Maybe this site should think of taking care of removing the annoying popup advertisements instead of removing peoples posts. You know the site is having issues when before your even able to enter your screen name & password that you have to "close a crappy popup advertisement".

well i do agree they spend way to much time removing posts and a lot of the posts they remove were not necessary to remove in the first place.

eaglescout1993
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM

at least its ads toward the industry. and its not that bad. one ad every now and thins isnt a problem. When they start putting millions up here then its a problem

caseysmowing
12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

caseysmowing
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm interested in what people are charging also because I would like to offer this service next year. Right now I'm at 60 a hour for me sucking them up and dumping them on the curb for the city. Some take 10 to 30 loads. 8 ft dump 4 ft sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

sven1277
12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
We do full service cleanups and curbsides. I love curbsides. I usually send my two man vac crew out to do a curbside or two first thing in the morning while we get additional properties pushed out to the street. The blowing crew will try to stay ahead of the vac crew. I have a 35hp vac that cost $10k. It gets used about 6weeks out of the year. So I have it running as much as possible. We have already sucked up over 1000 cubic yards of leaves this year with about 4-5 days left.

socty
12-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I learned the hard way that you have to charge a flat minimum for jobs under one hour, and a reasonable hourly rate after that. Keeping in mind how many dump trips you have to make and how far the trip will be. What cracks me up is that people expect the price to be the same year after year. Nature is variable, trees grow weirdly, and winds blow 17 different directions. Some years have storms, some have hurricanes, and all that crap lands on their lawns. You never know whats inside those piles till you start to suck em up. Seller beware!!!

yardguy28
12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I learned the hard way that you have to charge a flat minimum for jobs under one hour, and a reasonable hourly rate after that. Keeping in mind how many dump trips you have to make and how far the trip will be. What cracks me up is that people expect the price to be the same year after year. Nature is variable, trees grow weirdly, and winds blow 17 different directions. Some years have storms, some have hurricanes, and all that crap lands on their lawns. You never know whats inside those piles till you start to suck em up. Seller beware!!!

I don't know, my fall clean up prices have been the exact same since I started my business 6 years ago.

socty
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't know, my fall clean up prices have been the exact same since I started my business 6 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

socty
12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Wow yard guy you ever plan to retire.?! Nobody keeps the prices same for six years Unless they want to go out of business. So either you're really expensive or is just a matter of time till you go belly up
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow yard guy you ever plan to retire.?! Nobody keeps the prices same for six years Unless they want to go out of business. So either you're really expensive or is just a matter of time till you go belly up
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe he has invested in equipment to become more efficent to reduce his job times.

socty
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

socty
12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Well Gene if that's true then he should be charging just as much if not more to pay for that new fancy equipment. I'd love to know where he works because I want to move to a place where costs and expenses go down or stay the same for six years running.
Posted via Mobile Device

socty
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

socty
12-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Unless the upgrade was from rakes and barrels to blowers and loaders. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Well Gene if that's true then he should be charging just as much if not more to pay for that new fancy equipment. I'd love to know where he works because I want to move to a place where costs and expenses go down or stay the same for six years running.
Posted via Mobile Device

If he did a job that took 6 hours last year, bought new equipment to do the same job in 3 hours this year, and charged the same price as last year, didn't he just raise his profit this year, for that same job, by half of the time it took last year?

sven1277
12-08-2012, 06:15 PM
What concern of yours is it really, socty?

yardguy28
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

nope no plan to ever retire.

oh I raise prices but I have yet to raise prices on existing clients. so far all clients who have hired me have remained at the rate hired in at.

plus like the other guys said sometimes my efficiency goes up if I get new or better equipment. otherwise I spend roughly the same amount time each season using the same equipment on the fall clean ups.

also we live different lives I'm sure. I work to make money to pay for the necessities in live and bank anything leftover. you probably work to make money to pay for necessities and spent what's left on the wants in life. so your gonna want more money left over after necessities than I am.

jrs.landscaping
12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You can come to Maine, we've had accounts that have stayed the same for over 6 years.

socty
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
What concern of yours is it really, socty?
Hey Sven get a real name like Ahole. It's none of my concern. Just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
12-09-2012, 09:30 AM
and opinions are like @ssholes. everyone has one.

Darryl G
12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
And we wonder why posts get deleted? Grow up guys!

yardguy28
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
sven has a point though. what concern of it is his if I want to keep my prices the same?

elbow300
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

That is AWESOME!! I am running a couple of dump trucks with 24 cubic foot boxes for leaf season right now. They are our regular flat bed rigs in the grass season with treated plywood boxes built for leaf season. I'd love to increase the load size though. Are you carrying 40 yard containers? How long does can you work without dumping? Has the benefit covered the cost over however you were doing it before?

XC skier
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree with those who state that cleanups and vac removal prices can vary from year to year due in no small part to the weather. If you quote someone a price for vacuuming their leaves on day 1 they may not get back to you until day 4 and if it rained or there were freezing temps it is going to take you more time. The vacs that most of us are using cannot handle drenched leaves because they just clog up, so even if they are fluffy on top by the time that you get to the bottom it can be a nightmare. I price all of my jobs by the minute. This way I charge exactly the right amount and the customer pays a fair price. This is not likely to work for new customers so we are all just guestimating and hoping that we come out on top. I have worked out a formula based on the man hours to actually vac the leaves, and to drive round trip to dump them, equipment and vehicle costs and fuel. I have a 19 yd capacity truck that takes 1.25 man hours to fill (we can a lot more in if days go by between jobs), 23 hp loader (1.25g per hr) and although dumping is free it takes me 1.5 man hours round trip to dump. If you ever wonder how much you should apportion to equipment costs see how much rental companies charge and extrapolate- they've figured this all out. Based on these calculations I charge $2.60 per minute. I am not leaving any money on the table and I have a rational determination for a competitive charge. I don't have a minimum but, I'm not going to go out of my way for a $20 job. I'll hit it when I pass by to another job.