PDA

View Full Version : Cross hatch Lines?

Slant7
01-25-2003, 07:54 PM
I have two questions actually.
One, I would like to get the cross hatch lines in my lawn. But how to you get it with out cutting over it twice in the opposite direction. Or do you. and I can never get my lines straight.
Two , I am looking for a grader that you pull by hand like what you would see a grounds keeper use at a professional baseball game, when they clean the infield during the game. Does any one know what they are called and where you can buy one.

Slant7
Phoenix Az

PaulJ
01-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I think the lines you are referring to are called stripes here. if you do a search on stripes you will get a ton of info on the subject.
The cross pattern is usually accomplished by mowing at alternating directions every-other time. Not necessarily twice on one day, just change direction every time you mow (every week or so).

I don't know exactly what type of grader your looking for, but I like to use a large "landscape" rake(30-36", long handle). a garden store should have them.
I have also used a 8ft 4x4" post with a rope tied to an eye hook at each end. I pulled this along to level and grade an area. I was able to angle it by just pulling at a different point on the rope. It worked well for what I needed at the time. I also use a 4' harrow section behind a lawn tractor for grading/raking larger areas.

I hope this helps.

Slant7
01-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Thank you for hr info. I am new here and appreciate your input. I do get stripes in my lawn quite well every summer and now I am going for the base ball field look. Where the stripes cross .
The idea about dragging a post is good too , although I do drag a chain link fence around . It some times is not heavy enough, and I do put some cinder blocks on it . I will keep looking for the commercial grate, someone is bound to know w about where you can get one.
Slant 7

bob
01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=224601&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
I thought that I would overload the computer on that search:D

TALLEY-HOE
02-07-2003, 10:25 AM
TRY PUTTING A RAILROAD TIE ON TOP OF YOUR FENCE SCREEN. THE FENCE BY ITSELF DOES NOT WEIGH ENOUGH.